What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fantasy Writers - Do any of them earn any real $? (1 Viewer)

The Comedian

Footballguy
I'm not asking about FBG writers specifically, just in general. There seems to be about 10,000 fantasy writers out there right now. They are constantly blasting their weekly content around on Twitter. The vast majority of it is free.

On top of regular writing and researching things, most seem to be on Twitter almost 24/7, talking about fantasy. Many of them do podcasts. Again, all free. Sometimes it's hard to tell them apart.

Does anyone know how much your average fantasy writer makes? I can't imagine there's much money in it, but I also can't imagine people spending as much time as they seem to do without some decent compensation.

Just curious.

Didn't you just answer your own question? Lots of people are willing to do it and give the content away for free, so how much could they be making? In case you haven't noticed, there are tons of people blogging and tweeting about other subjects, too, and most of them aren't being paid either.

People are paid according to the value they deliver to the organization that employs them (unless they work for themselves, in which case they're paid whatever they can make from their audience/advertisers.) If you're talking about Matthew Berry, he probably has a pretty decent contract from ESPN, because he appears on multiple platforms and has built up a fairly devoted fan base. If it's some schlub on a sports site you've never heard of, chances are he's not being paid much, if anything.

The money is real (or at least, it spends just fine), but you're right that there's not a lot of it. My wife and I just had a baby boy last year, and I was stuck in a job that I hated, so I decided to quit it, stay at home, and take care of him. I wanted something to keep me busy during the days (or rather, busier), so I put out a bunch of feelers and sent out a half dozen resumes to the bigger fantasy football sites. Footballguys offered by far the best package, but let's just say I wouldn't be quitting my day job if I hadn't, you know, already quit my day job. A lot of the sites that are just starting up don't pay at all until they're profitable. There's nothing wrong with that- I believe FBGs did the same thing a decade+ ago when they were first starting out- but the majority of those sites are never going to be profitable, so the writers are essentially donating their time for free (or for "exposure"). And honestly, the exposure can be valuable, too- maybe Footballguys never would have given me a chance if I hadn't had a chance to publish some rankings and a couple of articles at DynastyRankings.net, first.

The way I see it is I'm already devoting 20+ hours a week to fantasy football, just because I love it and enjoy it. It's not too much to add a little bit extra on top of that to write down my weekly thoughts in an article. I'm already watching every Denver game twice, so it's only a small chore to add a weekly recap on top of that. I've kept up a set of rankings, off and on, for years now, so all I have to do is carve out a bit of time to make sure the updates are a bit more regular. I've been doing picks pools at work since forever, so joining the staff pick pool is just business as usual. If I divide how much I get paid by how much total time I spend on activities related to my writing, it will sometimes look a little bit depressing. If I divide how much I get paid by how much ADDITIONAL time I spend as a result of my writing (as opposed to what I'd spend if I wasn't writing for FBGs), it's actually a pretty decent amount. I was already going to spend most of that time with no compensation, so there's real value to me if I can add a little bit more time spent and get a little bit of money to show for it. I'm not relying on the money, but it makes for a nice bonus. Plus, Sunday Ticket and Game Rewind become tax write-offs.

Honestly, I've been beyond honored to have a chance to work for FBGs, even if I'm not going to get rich doing it. The fact that I can get a little bit extra for doing something that I love, the fact that I can basically set my own schedule and work around the time I spend with my son... it's really invaluable to me. I couldn't be happier with it.

I would hope they are able to supplement their income by winning a few fantasy leagues! ...or competing on daily sites.

Last edited by a moderator:
Adam I just want to thank you for having such a prescence in the shark pool - you seem to be pretty consistently engaged in a lot of topics, and it is appreciated.

Adam I just want to thank you for having such a prescence in the shark pool - you seem to be pretty consistently engaged in a lot of topics, and it is appreciated.
:thumbup:

It's awesome having a staffer that really participates in the forum.

Thanks. I was never not going to be involved in the Shark Pool. It's what got me started at FBGs in the first place, and it's always a big part of the fantasy experience for me. I'm not going to pretend I'm some sort of fantasy savant or anything, but I do think that the Pool helps make me better. It forces me to think through my positions all the way to their logical conclusions. It helps keep me sharper. I'm sure I get a lot more out of my participation here than the rest of you do. I stay active on Twitter for the same reason- it helps keep me engaged and current, and it forces me to keep my thoughts focused and consistent.

Plus, it's good writing practice. A lot of times I can use you guys to practice a few rough drafts of ideas for articles, and you never even realize that you're being used as guinea pigs.

I feel so used. :cry: I'm a guinea pig for money-making fantasy savants. That's got to be the ultimate slacker job, right up there with video game testing. Not knocking it, I'm sure it takes some talent and some smarts.

It is a talent. Lots of people think they can do it, but it really is rare for somebody to be able to think outside the box, to be able to sort through numbers and come to a logical conclusion, then to actually present information in a way that others can relate to. You can almost tell which Shark Pool guys have that talent, and I always enjoy seeing them get hired by FBGs. Joe and David do a really good job of picking those guys out, and there is a fairly long list of staffers that started out here.

Raiderfan32904 said:
I feel so used. :cry: I'm a guinea pig for money-making fantasy savants. That's got to be the ultimate slacker job, right up there with video game testing. Not knocking it, I'm sure it takes some talent and some smarts.
I would not argue with you, at least as far as I'm concerned. It's different for guys like Bloom and Dodds. They put in crazy hours. Pretty sure Bloom puts in more hours at his slacker job than I used to at my real one. I think anyone who does well enough at fantasy football content creation to earn a living wage is going to be working at least 60 hours a week. But like I said, you don't do it to get rich. You do it for the fame and the groupies.

I wonder if the on air personalities on Sirius Fantasy Radio make decent money. Like Scott Engel or Nathan Zegura.

Users who are viewing this thread