What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favorite 31 Songs by US Artists According to a Bunch of Middle-Aged Dummies (5 Viewers)

Pip’s Invitation:

Hello It's Me - Todd Rundgren
(new artist)

Something/Anything is pretty much a perfect album (and it's a double!) and this is its high point. It's a reworking of a song Rundgren wrote for Nazz, the band he was in in the late '60s, but this version is far superior to that one. It's a triumph of songcraft, production, arrangement, performance and emotion, every bit the equal of the best pop and soul songs from its era.

It appears on side 4 of Something/Anything, which featured six songs that Rundgren taught to the session musicians and then recorded live in one take. (He would later do an entire album, 1989's Nearly Human, this way.) The hilarious liner notes claim they comprise a "pop operetta" called "Baby Needs a New Pair of Snakeskin Boots."

Number 8:

krista4:

Superstition - Stevie Wonder
(duplicate – third vote)

Just Win Baby:

Seven Nation Army (2003), from Elephant - White Stripes
(duplicate – fifth vote)

simey:

Man in the Box - Alice in Chains
(duplicate – second vote)

scorchy:

No Children – The Mountain Goats
(new artist)

neal cassady:

Giant Steps - John Coltrane
(new song)

Uruk-Hai:

I Was Made To Love Her - Stevie Wonder
(new song)

Yankee23Fan:

Ring of Fire - Johnny Cash
(new song)

Manster:

Pyretta Blaze - Type O Negative
(new song)

shuke:

1979 - Smashing Pumpkins
(new song)

rockaction:

Marquee Moon - Television
(duplicate – fifth vote)

Mrs. Rannous:

My Sharona - The Knack
(duplicate – third vote)

New Binky the Doormat:

White Punks On Dope – The Tubes
(new artist)

Pip’s Invitation:

Hello It's Me - Todd Rundgren
(new artist)

Dr. Octopus:

Sir Duke – Stevie Wonder
(new song)

Val Rannous:

Fortunate Son - Creedence Clearwater Revival
(duplicate – fourth vote)

Chaz McNulty:

Runaway - Kanye West

Don Quixote:

Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner - Warren Zevon
(new song)

Sullie:

Breed - Nirvana
(new song)

jwb:

Since You’re Gone – The Cars
(new song)

DrIanMalcolm:

Waterfalls, TLC
(new artist)

Hawks64:

I Killed Robert Johnson - The Stone Foxes
(new song)

MAC_32:

Bullet In The Head - Rage Against The Machine
(new song)

falguy:

Can't Help Falling In Love - Elvis Presley
(new song)

simsarge:

Paris (Ooh La La) - Grace Potter & The Nocturnals
(new artist)

worrierking:

Angel From Montgomery - John Prine
(new song)

Eephus:

4th Of July - Aimee Mann
(new artist)

Hov34:

Surrender - Cheap Trick

ditkaburgers:

Take Your Time (Do it Right) - The S.O.S. Band
(new artist)

AAABatteries:

(Sittin’ On) the Dock of the Bay - Otis Redding

landryshat:

Purple Rain - Prince

Zegras11:

Mrs. Robinson - Simon & Garfunkel
(new song)

Ilov80s:

Born To Run - Bruce Springsteen
(duplicate - third vote)

Oliver Humanzee:

Who Does She Hope To Be? - Sonny Sharrock
(new artist)

The Dreaded Marco:

Sick of Myself - Matthew Sweet
(new artist)

Doug B:

Les Filles De La Ville - Wayne Toups
(new artist)

KarmaPolice:

Snail - The Smashing Pumpkins
(new song)
For your listening pleasure.

#9s
Recognized by title alone: 22
Sounded familiar: 4
Didn't know: 10

Selected Favorites:
(not listed: Song in my top 31!)
Magic Man (Mrs. Rannous)
Tumbling DIce (simsarge) - Creative way to get this song on, and a good version to boot!
Right Place Wrong Time (Eephus)
Summer Breeze (landryshat)

Songs I didn't know that I ended up liking:
You Ain’t Goin’ Nowhere (simey)
Thumb (Manster)
Better Together (Hawks64)
Step By Step (Doug B) - Not the song I was thinking of by the title. Or maybe I only knew a few Eddie Rabbit songs…

Don Quixote:

(new song)
There’s been a lot of Zevon so far. I wanted to pick one, but was torn on what to pick. Glad I settled on this one to make sure it got a mention in this thread, but maybe stealing someone else’s thunder.

Also, brings up a reason to link to Zevon’s farewell performance on Letterman. Fast forward to around 18:15 for Zevon singing Roland. Enjoy every sandwich.

Smashing Pumpkins fight! It was a surprise to see them come up twice now after receiving only one vote until this time. I love the song "1979" and look forward to listening to "Snail."

We have a three-way Stevie Wonder battle of "Superstition," "Sir Duke," and "I Was Made to Love Her."

"Seven Nation Army" and "Marquee Moon" take the song lead, each receiving its fifth vote.

In addition to the picks I obviously love, like Johnny Cash, Aimee Mann, and John Prine, I want to shout out the Mountain Goats' song, "No Children," which was on my very short list, too. Please give it a whirl!
Speaking of assholes, Billy Corgan is a balloon knot of epic proportions.

Uruk-Hai:

I Was Made To Love Her - Stevie Wonder
Motown in the 1960s didn't really know what to do with Stevie Wonder. They couldn't assembly-line him like they did with many of their other top acts. They obviously knew he was insanely talented or Berry Gordy - about as far from offering charity to underperforming artists as Eb Scrooge was from showing heart for the first 2/3 of "A Christmas Carol" - would have jettisoned him.

Wonder, of all of Motown's biggest hit-makers in the decade, had the most weird progression. None of his hit records sounded like the last one. Looking back, I don't care what the writing/producer credits say - given what he was about to unleash in the 1970s, you could see it coming.

Especially with this one. It doesn't have a conventional structure at all ("As" and about 20 others of his are basically a rewrite in that the "I Was Made To Love "Her" mode). It's torqued-up from the get-go - it just winds up and winds up. Stevie's harmonica is bordering on control-loss (it never does, of course). The band is cooking. The background singers are swinging. If love was a tambourine, this is its fountain.

I hope he and Susie (with her pigtails) stayed as happy they were on this 45.

Don Quixote:

(new song)
There’s been a lot of Zevon so far. I wanted to pick one, but was torn on what to pick. Glad I settled on this one to make sure it got a mention in this thread, but maybe stealing someone else’s thunder.

Also, brings up a reason to link to Zevon’s farewell performance on Letterman. Fast forward to around 18:15 for Zevon singing Roland. Enjoy every sandwich.
Roland is easily in the top ten all time of songs about headless mercenaries. Maybe top 5. Enjoying a sandwich now.

Can a mariachi-styled horn hook on a simple country song be absolute fire (did I use that right? I'm 47)? Yes, yes it can be.

Ring of Fire was the song that made me fall in love with Johnny Cash music. The off-beat horns in the 2nd part are amazingly good for, again, simple horns in a simple song. His voice in this is perfect, produced to give you everything that is Johnny Cash.

MAC_32:

(new song)
Appreciate this play list having this lead into Can't Help Falling In Love :laugh:

Rage's politics may not do it for me, but their song structures do and the content from many of their songs transcends party lines anyway. A funky rhythm with engaging lyrics to grab your attention leads into a frantic interlude before a calmer bridge rebuilds into a ferocious outro...they're so good at it. No better example of all this in their catalog than this track. Is that simple minded subject matter left? right? ambivalent? other? It depends on the lens you're viewing this from - and whichever one it is ends in face melting anyway.

I like most everything from today. A few personal favorites from Round #8 not including repeat favorites:

Angel From Montgomery - I love anything by John Prine.
Ring of Fire
Since You're Gone
Sick of Myself
Hello It's Me - I almost put this on my list.
Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner
Waterfalls
Both Pumpkin songs

Who Does She Hope to Be? A lot of Sonny's stuff was too avant-garde for me, but I enjoy this.

I like all S&G, CCR, and SW songs.

A lot of favorite new to me songs:

Paris (ooh la la) - I love this
White Punks on Dope - I knew this was a Binky pick without looking
I killed Robert Johnson
No Children
4th of July
Pyretta Blaze
Les Filles De La Ville

Can a mariachi-styled horn hook on a simple country song be absolute fire (did I use that right? I'm 47)? Yes, yes it can be.

Ring of Fire was the song that made me fall in love with Johnny Cash music. The off-beat horns in the 2nd part are amazingly good for, again, simple horns in a simple song. His voice in this is perfect, produced to give you everything that is Johnny Cash.
A shout-out to June Carter Cash who wrote the song with Merle Kilgore.

ditkaburgers:

Love this pick.

It's more New Wave than anything else, but a lot of funk & disco had slimmed down by 1980 (may have been the coke, may not have been the coke).
This version is a little different from the original. This version starts rapping at the end. I guess it's Ms. Angela doing that. It startled me when I listened to it, because I was expecting the original, and all of a sudden this woman starts rapping. :o

MAC_32:

(new song)
Appreciate this play list having this lead into Can't Help Falling In Love :laugh:

Rage's politics may not do it for me, but their song structures do and the content from many of their songs transcends party lines anyway. A funky rhythm with engaging lyrics to grab your attention leads into a frantic interlude before a calmer bridge rebuilds into a ferocious outro...they're so good at it. No better example of all this in their catalog than this track. Is that simple minded subject matter left? right? ambivalent? other? It depends on the lens you're viewing this from - and whichever one it is ends in face melting anyway.
Too bad I didn't put this one 2 rounds earlier right after your Elvis tune

I have a lot of ballads/slower songs in my last and dominating my last 10. I'm a sucker for them. Can't Help Falling In Love was my wedding song and even though the marriage went down the ****ter I still love the song.

Let's take a break from Stevie dominating the medal stand and finally get these 3 on...

Bronze: Nirvana - Breed, the best contribution from Nevermind (by a lot)
Silver: Zevon - Roland, this is the one I was familiar with coming into this thing and am happy to have others now on my shuffle
Gold: Bruce - Born To Run, despite it being a mid-packer track from that album

Next that I need to make room for on the medal stand: Todd.

Known-to-me winners for today:

Marquee Moon -- Television (Rockaction)
Superstition -- Stevie Wonder (Krista4)
(Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay -- Otis Redding (AAABatteries)
Sir Duke -- Stevie Wonder (Doc Oc)
Breed -- Nirvana (Sullie)
Seven Nation Army -- The White Stripes (Just Win Baby)
Surrender -- Cheap Trick (Hov34)
Fortunate Son -- Creedence Clearwater Revival (Val Rannous)
1979 -- Smashing Pumpkins (Shuke)
Giant Steps -- John Coltrane (Neal Cassady)
Waterfalls -- TLC (DrIanMalcolm)
Purple Rain -- Prince (Landryshat)
Man in the Box -- Alice in Chains (Simey)
My Sharona -- The Knack (Mrs. Rannous)
Ring of Fire -- Johnny Cash (Yankee23Fan)

MAC_32:

(new song)

I saw Rage back in '97 at the Gorge at George......the local Sheriff tried to get the show cancelled based on his belief Rages message would whip the crowd into a frenzy.....the presiding judge allowed the show to move forward......Extra security. Rage took a little extra time to come out on stage to add to the drama. The lights came up and they went straight into **** tha police!! The place went ape ****!! Never seen anything like it before, or since! The entire floor area turned into an insane mosh pit......way to go sheriff dipshit!

This version is a little different from the original. This version starts rapping at the end. I guess it's Ms. Angela doing that. It startled me when I listened to it, because I was expecting the original, and all of a sudden this woman starts rapping. :o

The SOS Band's catalog is largely unavailable on streaming

Funny that these two are together on the playlist. Tubes drummer Prairie Prince later played with Rundgren, including on the Nearly Human album that I mentioned earlier.

I've hung out with Prairie Prince at other band's shows and when he had an exhibition of his artwork a few years back. He's had a really varied career including drumming on the Eno-David Byrne album. Cool guy who could break your arm with his handshake.

ditkaburgers saw The Tubes a couple of months ago when they opened for the B-52s. She had no idea who they were in spite of living in SF all her life although she knew a few of the songs from us playing them upstairs.

Charity Contest Info and Standings, #8

Everyone's selections:

Val Rannous - Song: Like a Rolling Stone, Bob Dylan. Artist: Bruce Springsteen.
Mrs. Rannous - Song: Rock and Roll High School, The Ramones. Artist: Bob Dylan.
Uruk-Hai - Song: Purple Rain, Prince. Artist: Stevie Wonder.
Pip's Invitation - Song: Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana. Artist: Stevie Wonder.
Neal Cassady - Song: Let's Stay Together, Al Green. Artist: Stevie Wonder.
Hov34 - Song: Superstition, Stevie Wonder. Artist: Stevie Wonder. (Tiebreak: Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana)
Chaz McNulty - Song: Fast Car, Tracy Chapman. Artist: Bruce Springsteen.
Dr. Octopus - Song: Hallelujah, Jeff Buckley. Artist: Stevie Wonder.
Falguy - Song: Born to Run, Bruce Springsteen. Artist: Tom Petty.
DrianMalcom - Song: Superstition, Stevie Wonder. Artist: Stevie Wonder. (Tiebreak: American Girl, Tom Petty)
Ilove80s - Song: Good Vibrations, The Beach Boys. Artist: Tom Petty.
jwb - Song: Hotel California, The Eagles. Artist: The Allman Brothers Band.
The Dreaded Marco - Song: What a Wonderful World, Louis Armstrong. Artist: Prince.
New Binky the Doormat - Song: Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana. Artist: Tom Petty.
Just Win Baby - Song: What's Going On, Marvin Gaye. Artist: Tom Petty.
Don Quixote - Song: Superstition, Stevie Wonder. Artist: Stevie Wonder. (Tiebreak: God Only Knows, The Beach Boys)
AAABatteries - Song: Respect - Aretha Franklin. Artist: Stevie Wonder.

Songs that scored 24 points for today's selections:

Superstition, Stevie Wonder
Purple Rain, Prince
Born to Run, Bruce Springsteen

Artists that scored 24 points for today's selections:

Stevie Wonder (x3)
Prince
Bruce Springsteen

Total Scores as of Today:

New Binky the Doormat 286
Pip's Invitation 280
Falguy 279
Just Win Baby 273
Don Quixote 267
DrianMalcom 267
Hov34 267
AAABatteries 263
Neal Cassady 259
Uruk-Hai 254
Ilov80s 252
Dr. Octopus 232
The Dreaded Marco 168
Chaz McNulty 134
Val Rannous 134
Mrs. Rannous 115
jwb 104

I thought the mix would get chalkier as we got into the top ten but I'm still astonished by some of the deeper cuts. I loved the Wayne Toups and Sonny Sharrock songs today. The Sharrock number was surprisingly mellow with an excellent bass solo. I associate him more with noisy shredding than the lyricism of today's pick.

Now let me queue up the next list… Oh, wait. Well, this is unexpected! In a good way. Speaking of good things:

#8s
Recognized by title alone: 20
Sounded familiar: 3
Didn't know: 13

Selected Favorites:
1979 (shuke)
Hello It’s Me (Pip’s Invitation)
Surrender (Hov34)
Take Your Time[Do It Right] (ditkaburgers)

Songs I didn't know that I ended up liking:
No Children (scorchy)
I Killed Robert Johnson (Hawks64)
Paris [Ooh La La] (simsarge)
Who Does She Hope To Be (Oliver Humanzee)

simey:

New Binky the Doormat:

The Dreaded Marco:

I know Man in the Box was already picked yesterday, but I'm just highlighting it because of today's picker. I would have never guessed our always-sunny Simey had a dark side. ;)

As for The Tubes, all I ever knew was She's A Beauty from the early MTV days. Holy smokes this song kicks and the video from Old Grey Whistle Test is just so over-the-top glam. My day was made by hearing/watching it.

Even among all the great albums from 1991, Girlfriend was always one of my favorites. 100% Fun didn't get the same kind of acclaim, but Sick of Myself totally rules.

Last edited:
No Children
I am drowning
There is no sign of land
You are coming down with me
Hand in unlovable hand
And I hope you die
I hope we both die

I'm a sucker for dark lyrics meet happy music, and No Children is about as dark as it gets.
I'm also a sucker for sing-alongs at live shows when the crowd just totally feels it.

I guess that makes me a double-sucker whenever I get to experience No Children live.

Guess there's not much to say about a song when it's been picked four other times, but "Marquee Moon" is something else, something singular. I just wrote about it in tim's thread, but its jazz/punk fusion was so far ahead of its time that it still might be miles ahead of what people conceive of when they think of popular music.

Just waiting...

Guess there's not much to say about a song when it's been picked four other times, but "Marquee Moon" is something else, something singular. I just wrote about it in tim's thread, but its jazz/punk fusion was so far ahead of its time that it still might be miles ahead of what people conceive of when they think of popular music.

Just waiting...

I'd like to hear your full thoughts, or anyone's, about a song they chose even if it's come up before.

John Prine's house is for sale. Why am I shocked to find it's a $5 million house?
Does this mean you are buying another house? If so, can I live in it too? Are you surprised JP's house would cost that much, or that it would cost more?

I just thought of him as a somewhat underappreciated singer-songwriter, so I didn't expect him to have a house that expensive. If I bought it I'd have to live in Nashville, so no thanks!

I just thought of him as a somewhat underappreciated singer-songwriter, so I didn't expect him to have a house that expensive. If I bought it I'd have to live in Nashville, so no thanks!
I think he was an underappreciated singer-songwriter (not by his peers), but he wrote some great songs that others covered that were hits, and that made him wealthy. He had his own record label too (Oh Boy Records), but I don't know how lucrative that is. His family runs it. I bought a couple things from them before, and I get emails when they are having sales.

simey:

New Binky the Doormat:

The Dreaded Marco:

Even among all the great albums from 1991, Girlfriend was always one of my favorites. 100% Fun didn't get the same kind of acclaim, but Sick of Myself totally rules.
I agree. Girlfriend is the better album (just slightly over 100% Fun, IMO) but Sick of Myself is Matthew Sweet's best song and (obviously) one of my favorite songs.

Fun fact: Television's Richard Lloyd played lead guitar on this record.

I'd like to hear your full thoughts, or anyone's, about a song they chose even if it's come up before.

Thanks, k4. I don't know off the top of my head what to say. I'd have to think about it and do some research and even then I wouldn't be able to really do it justice or describe it well.

Do the words "jazz-like myxolydian scale" mean anything to you? Because I'm in over my head on that one. Lol. Such is even Wikipedia's attempt at a layman's description of Tom Verlaine's guitar solo after the third chorus. It lasts "for the entire second half of the song."

And that solo and subsequent jamming make it great. It's really where jazz met rock with only rock instruments, and it's done well and enjoyably to these ears.

I also learned what a "double stop" is when talking about music. It's using the same notes on different stringed instruments -- in this case, their guitars.

Sullie:

Breed - Nirvana
(new song)

Second-best song on Nevermind after THAT one. Back in the day I would get incredibly pumped whenever my CD got to track 4.

jwb:

Since You’re Gone – The Cars
(new song)

First song of theirs that I knew was them, because it was the first video of theirs I saw on MTV. I had heard the big songs from their first three albums on the radio before, but I had no idea it was the same band. In fact I figured all their songs were sung by Ric Ocasek -- who was out front in the videos for this and Shake It Up -- because there's not a huge difference between his voice and Ben Orr's if you're not listening closely. I had no idea that Orr also sang lead until the Drive video came out a couple of years later.
worrierking:

Angel From Montgomery - John Prine
(new song)

I bet Prine made enough in songwriting royalties from this song alone to buy a $5 million house (in 2022 dollars).

ditkaburgers:

(new artist)

I have seen this performed live ... by the Judybats. It was part of their encore the first two times I saw them. And damn straight it got everyone moving.

The Dreaded Marco:

(new artist)

If I'd had room for a Sweet song, it would have been something from Girlfriend or Altered Beast, but this is great as well.

I think he was an underappreciated singer-songwriter (not by his peers), but he wrote some great songs that others covered that were hits, and that made him wealthy. He had his own record label too (Oh Boy Records), but I don't know how lucrative that is. His family runs it. I bought a couple things from them before, and I get emails when they are having sales.

Cause you got gold
Gold inside of you
You got gold
Gold inside of you
Well I got some
Gold inside me too

Ha, I just got a tshirt and hat from them during black Friday sale.

Somebody doubles me up again tomorrow. Stop it!!! In addition to that, we have three brand-new songs from one of our known-to-be top 10 artists...and it's not Tom Petty! :shock:

Users who are viewing this thread