What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favorite 31 Songs by US Artists According to a Bunch of Middle-Aged Dummies (5 Viewers)

I just thought of him as a somewhat underappreciated singer-songwriter, so I didn't expect him to have a house that expensive. If I bought it I'd have to live in Nashville, so no thanks!
I think he was an underappreciated singer-songwriter (not by his peers), but he wrote some great songs that others covered that were hits, and that made him wealthy. He had his own record label too (Oh Boy Records), but I don't know how lucrative that is. His family runs it. I bought a couple things from them before, and I get emails when they are having sales.
Ha, I just got a tshirt and hat from them during black Friday sale.
I have the license plate and playing cards. I'll get something else eventually.

Smashing Pumpkins fight! It was a surprise to see them come up twice now after receiving only one vote until this time. I love the song "1979" and look forward to listening to "Snail."

We have a three-way Stevie Wonder battle of "Superstition," "Sir Duke," and "I Was Made to Love Her."

"Seven Nation Army" and "Marquee Moon" take the song lead, each receiving its fifth vote.

In addition to the picks I obviously love, like Johnny Cash, Aimee Mann, and John Prine, I want to shout out the Mountain Goats' song, "No Children," which was on my very short list, too. Please give it a whirl!
Speaking of assholes, Billy Corgan is a balloon knot of epic proportions.
Wikipedia tells me the next Pumpkins album is going to be called Atum: A Rock Opera in Three Acts.

Definitely knot-ish.

New-to-me favorites from today:

White Punks on Dope -- The Tubes (Binky). Yes of course I had heard OF the song. How could you not with that title? (It was even referenced in The Rutles, as Eric Idle's Paul McCartney stand-in character had a solo hit called White Dopes on Punk.) But I had not actually heard it. No radio station I've ever listened to has played it, which makes sense because it's damn weird. But it's brilliant. And hilarious.
I Killed Robert Johnson -- The Stone Foxes (Hawks64). Tuneful and compelling.
Who Does She Hope to Be? -- Sonny Sharrock (OH). The instruments seem to tell a story on their own. Agree that the bass solo is the best part.
Les Filles de la Ville -- Wayne Toups (Doug B). Turns out I have heard this song, in a way. It's a French-language cover of Le Roux's New Orleans Ladies, the best example of New Orleans Yacht Rock.

First song of theirs that I knew was them, because it was the first video of theirs I saw on MTV. I had heard the big songs from their first three albums on the radio before, but I had no idea it was the same band. In fact I figured all their songs were sung by Ric Ocasek -- who was out front in the videos for this and Shake It Up -- because there's not a huge difference between his voice and Ben Orr's if you're not listening closely. I had no idea that Orr also sang lead until the Drive video came out a couple of years later.

Me too, and I'm sure we're not alone. Rick was definitely the prominent one in the early videos and the voices are quite similar so it was easy to think it was all Rick - I first remember Orr singing on a live performance of Just What I Needed, and it actually confused me for a minute.

This song was one I wasn't sure belonged where I put it. Like is this really a top 10 song for me? I'm still not sure but The Cars are definitely a top 10 artist for me in this American bands exercise, and they have about 10 songs that could be my favorite by them on any given day. This one kind of stands out to me more for the mid-tempo meandering pace. Although I can't relate to the lyrics - I've never had a breakup that gave me pause beyond a day or two - it was always "ok then, who's next?" In fact I don't have those kind of stories for any of my songs - no "in the car with Betty Jean after a night-long breakup, the sun was coming up and hit her cheekbone perfectly and then this song came on and just punctuated the moment... I'll never forget it". I'm more "I like the pace and guitar part in the second half" or whatnot.

Last edited:
First song of theirs that I knew was them, because it was the first video of theirs I saw on MTV. I had heard the big songs from their first three albums on the radio before, but I had no idea it was the same band. In fact I figured all their songs were sung by Ric Ocasek -- who was out front in the videos for this and Shake It Up -- because there's not a huge difference between his voice and Ben Orr's if you're not listening closely. I had no idea that Orr also sang lead until the Drive video came out a couple of years later.

Me too, and I'm sure we're not alone. Rick was definitely the prominent one in the early videos and the voices are quite similar so it was easy to think it was all Rick - I first remember Orr singing on a live performance of Just What I Needed, and it actually confused me for a minute.

This song was one I wasn't sure belonged where I put it. Like is this really a top 10 song for me? I'm still not sure but The Cars are definitely a top 10 artist for me in this American bands exercise, and they have about 10 songs that could be my favorite by them on any given day. This one kind of stands out to me more for the mid-tempo meandering pace. Although I can't relate to the lyrics - I've never had a breakup that gave me pause beyond a day or two - it was always "ok then, who's next?" In fact, I don't really have any stories for any of my songs - no "in the car with Betty Jean after a night-long breakup, the sun was coming up and hit her cheekbone perfectly and then this song came on and just punctuated the moment... I'll never forget it". I'm more "I like the pace and guitar part in the second half" or whatnot.
I didn’t know Orr sang Just What I Needed until I saw their Live Aid set. It was the only non-Heartbeat City song they played.

I didn’t know Orr sang Just What I Needed until I saw their Live Aid set. It was the only non-Heartbeat City song they played.

I don't know a ton about The Cars - with two guys who sound so much alike I wonder how they figured out who would sing what, and why?
I don’t know. But Ocasek wrote all the songs, so presumably it was his decision.

Smashing Pumpkins fight! It was a surprise to see them come up twice now after receiving only one vote until this time. I love the song "1979" and look forward to listening to "Snail."

We have a three-way Stevie Wonder battle of "Superstition," "Sir Duke," and "I Was Made to Love Her."

"Seven Nation Army" and "Marquee Moon" take the song lead, each receiving its fifth vote.

In addition to the picks I obviously love, like Johnny Cash, Aimee Mann, and John Prine, I want to shout out the Mountain Goats' song, "No Children," which was on my very short list, too. Please give it a whirl!
Speaking of assholes, Billy Corgan is a balloon knot of epic proportions.
Wikipedia tells me the next Pumpkins album is going to be called Atum: A Rock Opera in Three Acts.

Definitely knot-ish.
The punkins never really spoke to me. Mostly due to Corgan's voice, and his whining. It's like nails on a chalkboard.

Thank you for the 1979 contribution in yesterday's mix. It reminded me of something that I had lost and brought back into my shuffle. That would be Tonight, Tonight but of the strings alone variety. Before I heard it I never cared for the song and those 2 1/2 minutes made me realize why. Billy. Mother ****ing Billy. Sonically it's a beautiful piece of music, but only after you remove his vocals.

Thank you for the 1979 contribution in yesterday's mix. It reminded me of something that I had lost and brought back into my shuffle. That would be Tonight, Tonight but of the strings alone variety. Before I heard it I never cared for the song and those 2 1/2 minutes made me realize why. Billy. Mother ****ing Billy. Sonically it's a beautiful piece of music, but only after you remove his vocals.
Big fan of instrumental versions of songs, sometimes the vocals do distract or get in the way of the music.

Me too, and I'm sure we're not alone.
I've said a few times that I can't tell the difference between Ocasek and Orr and some acted like that was crazy. I still can't tell.
"Drive" is the only Cars hit I knew was Orr the first time I heard it. The rest - especially the fast numbers - would be total guesses on my part at the time.
I thought Ocasek sang it all! Learn something new everyday

Seems like I have a strong dislike for some really popular, and admittedly good songs. 1979 is one of those. As I was thinking about the song, especially in relation to my SP pick yesterday, I think a lot of it is just simply a bit of "that's not MY Pumpkins" sentiment with me. Pumpkins will always be tied to Gish and Siamese Dream for me. That's the sound I feel in love with and prefer, but I realize I am in the minority there. I think it's safe to say similar is going on as to reasons I liked Soundgarden and Primus more than Pearl Jam and Nirvana and other bands that blew up later - it's what I was listening to in HS in the early 90s.

Les Filles de la Ville -- Wayne Toups (Doug B). Turns out I have heard this song, in a way. It's a French-language cover of Le Roux's New Orleans Ladies, the best example of New Orleans Yacht Rock.
Either of those two could have been in my top 31. I've been slightly favoring Toups' Cajun version in recent years.

The original "New Orleans Ladies" was, not surprisingly, a big radio hit locally. When the song was new ~1978, my mom's close cousin moved to upstate NY to work as a disk jockey (maybe the Glens Falls/Queensbury area?). One night, she called her cousin at the station to request "New Orleans Ladies" but the station didn't have it's own copy. He promised to play the song from his own personal 45 on his next shift, and he did. He reported to us later that "New Orleans Ladies" became an airplay hit in his local radio market, as well.

Number 7:

krista4:

What’s Going On - Marvin Gaye
(duplicate - fourth vote)

Just Win Baby:

The Warmth (1999), from Make Yourself - Incubus
(new artist)

simey:

Baby Love - Mother's Finest
(new artist)

scorchy:

If I Ruled the World (Imagine That) - Nas (feat. Lauryn Hill)
(Nas - new artist, Lauryn Hill – new song)

neal cassady:

Shore Leave - Tom Waits
(new song)

Uruk-Hai:

She's Got You - Patsy Cline
(new artist)

Yankee23Fan:

Friends in Low Places - Garth Brooks
(new song)

Manster:

American Theatric – Floater
(new song)

shuke:

Blue Sky - The Allman Brothers Band
(new song)

rockaction:

New York Kiss – Spoon
(new song)

Mrs. Rannous:

La Grange - ZZ Top
(duplicate – second vote)

New Binky the Doormat:

I’m Your Captain (Closer To Home) - Grand Funk Railroad
(new artist)

Pip’s Invitation:

Jesus Christ Pose - Soundgarden
(new song)

Dr. Octopus:

Rosalita (Come Out Tonight) - Bruce Springsteen
(new song)

Val Rannous:

Lady Marmalade - Pink, Mya, Little Kim, Christina
(Pink and Christina – new song; Mya and Little Kim – new artist)

Chaz McNulty:

When Doves Cry – Prince
(new song)

Don Quixote:

Bring It On Home to Me - Sam Cooke
(new song)

Sullie:

Don't Take Me Alive - Steely Dan
(new song)

jwb:

Spirit in the Night – Bruce Springsteen
(new song)

DrIanMalcolm:

You're So Vain, Carly Simon
(new artist)

Hawks64:

Wildfire - John Mayer
(new song)

MAC_32:

Call To Arms - Sturgill Simpson
(new song)

falguy:

Cat's in The Cradle - Harry Chapin
(duplicate – third vote)

simsarge:

Preacherman - Melody Gardot
(new artist)

worrierking:

Darkness on the Edge of Town - Bruce Springsteen
(new song)

Eephus:

My Whole World Ended (The Moment You Left Me) - David Ruffin
(new artist)

Hov34:

Satellite – Guster
(new artist)

ditkaburgers:

(You Drive Me) Crazy (Stop Remix) - Britney Spears
(new artist)

AAABatteries:

I Heard it Through the Grapevine - Marvin Gaye

landryshat:

Ball of Confusion - The Temptations

Zegras11:

Holiday - Green Day
(new song)

Ilov80s:

Summertime - Louis Armstrong & Ella Fitzgerald
(duplicate - third vote)

Oliver Humanzee:

That's All There Is - Nina Nastasia
(new artist)

The Dreaded Marco:

Break On Through (To the Other Side) - The Doors
(new song)

Doug B:

The Breakup Song - Greg Kihn Band
(new artist)

KarmaPolice:

Don't Swallow the Cap - The National
(new song)

Last edited:
Seems like I have a strong dislike for some really popular, and admittedly good songs. 1979 is one of those. As I was thinking about the song, especially in relation to my SP pick yesterday, I think a lot of it is just simply a bit of "that's not MY Pumpkins" sentiment with me. Pumpkins will always be tied to Gish and Siamese Dream for me. That's the sound I feel in love with and prefer, but I realize I am in the minority there. I think it's safe to say similar is going on as to reasons I liked Soundgarden and Primus more than Pearl Jam and Nirvana and other bands that blew up later - it's what I was listening to in HS in the early 90s.
I dunno about that. I'm probably just a few years younger than you. I was still in grade school at the time of release, but Mellon Collie was the first CD I ever owned. My various circles over the next few years younger, older, and same age as me ALL gravitated towards pre-Mellon Collie pumpkins. And more importantly, loathed what they became after. There are quite a few skips, but I generally enjoy most of Mellon Collie. Siamese Dream was miles better though.

so, on "You're So Vain..."

You know you've got a killer number when four decades after the song is written, people are still trying to figure out who it's about.

Never mind the ridiculously great "sonofagun" intro, the piano, "clouds in my coffee," all of it.

So I'm listening to a playlist in the car with my wife, and squeeze's "Black Coffee in Bed" comes on (great song, although my wife doesn't like Squeeze that much). Once it ends, this one comes up and my wife says "oh COME ON, not MORE coffee..."

Uruk-Hai:

Probably the best singer in country music history, IMO, and the most intelligent. She was set up perfectly for the 1960s and beyond for massive crossover success. Then that damned plane went down.

She had several records that became classics, but I chose this for a couple of reasons:

1. The measured control she uses here is unbelievable, even as everything's falling apart. Patsy's other big hits also had this to some degree, but this one hits the closest to home for me. Ever look at a gift (or letter, or email, or memory) you got from someone who just dumped you? This is that set to music.

2. Rosanne Cash and Rhiannon Giddens both did amazing covers of this. They are two of my favorite current singers. They couldn't beat Cline's original. Rosanne didn't even want to record it because she was afraid of the song. Her father's list and her husband's prodding convinced her.

3. Your honor: I present Exhibit 9 Gazillion why country and soul are the same thing with different surface trappings. The defense (almost) rests. I have another witness to call.

Me too, and I'm sure we're not alone.
I've said a few times that I can't tell the difference between Ocasek and Orr and some acted like that was crazy. I still can't tell.
"Drive" is the only Cars hit I knew was Orr the first time I heard it. The rest - especially the fast numbers - would be total guesses on my part at the time.
And it helped that there was a video for that one that featured him prominently. Just What I Needed, Let’s Go, etc. predated MTV.

Number 7:

krista4:

What’s Going On - Marvin Gaye
(duplicate - fourth vote)

Just Win Baby:

The Warmth (1999), from Make Yourself - Incubus
(new artist)

simey:

Baby Love - Mother's Finest
(new artist)

scorchy:

If I Ruled the World (Imagine That) - Nas (feat. Lauryn Hill)
(Nas - new artist, Lauryn Hill – new song)

neal cassady:

Shore Leave - Tom Waits
(new song)

Uruk-Hai:

(new artist)

Yankee23Fan:

Friends in Low Places - Garth Brooks
(new song)

Manster:

American Theatric – Floater
(new song)

shuke:

Blue Sky - The Allman Brothers Band
(new song)

rockaction:

New York Kiss – Spoon
(new song)

Mrs. Rannous:

La Grange - ZZ Top

New Binky the Doormat:

I’m Your Captain (Closer To Home) - Grand Funk Railroad
(new artist)

Pip’s Invitation:

Jesus Christ Pose - Soundgarden
(new song)

Dr. Octopus:

Rosalita (Come Out Tonight) - Bruce Springsteen
(new song)

Val Rannous:

Chaz McNulty:

When Doves Cry – Prince
(new song)

Don Quixote:

Bring It On Home to Me - Sam Cooke
(new song)

Sullie:

Don't Take Me Alive - Steely Dan
(new song)

jwb:

Spirit in the Night – Bruce Springsteen
(new song)

DrIanMalcolm:

You're So Vain, Carly Simon
(new artist)

Hawks64:

Wildfire - John Mayer
(new song)

MAC_32:

Call To Arms - Sturgill Simpson
(new song)

falguy:

Cat's in The Cradle - Harry Chapin
(duplicate – third vote)

simsarge:

Preacherman - Melody Gardot
(new artist)

worrierking:

Darkness on the Edge of Town - Bruce Springsteen
(new song)

Eephus:

My Whole World Ended (The Moment You Left Me) - David Ruffin
(new artist)

Hov34:

Satellite – Guster
(new artist)

ditkaburgers:

(You Drive Me) Crazy (Stop Remix) - Britney Spears
(new artist)

AAABatteries:

I Heard it Through the Grapevine - Marvin Gaye

landryshat:

Ball of Confusion - The Temptations

Zegras11:

Holiday - Green Day
(new song)

Ilov80s:

Summertime - Louis Armstrong & Ella Fitzgerald
(duplicate - third vote)

Oliver Humanzee:

That's All There Is - Nina Nastasia
(new artist)

The Dreaded Marco:

Break On Through (To the Other Side) - The Doors
(new song)

Doug B:

The Breakup Song - Greg Kihn Band
(new artist)

KarmaPolice:

Don't Swallow the Cap - The National
(new song)
Mo' music for y'all
So the Garth Brooks may or may not be him, I can't 100% tell but he's not really on Spotify so that's all I got.
@simey Got the live version for you
The Grand Funk Railroad song looks like the title swapped from Closer to Home (I'm your Captain) to I'm Your Captain/Closer to Home. Also, I could not find a ~5-minute version like the linked youtube, the only versions are 9+ and 10-minute versions, If this isn't the right one I can swap it out.

Val Rannous:

I had forgotten about this version of the song - it's good. I like Pink's part the best (I'd like hear her do the whole thing - she does some great cover tunes). On another day Labelle's original could have made my list.
I believe this is the fifth song to have two versions in the countdown, joining Angel from Montgomery, Fever, I Heard It Through the Grapevine and Summertime. I’m not familiar with today’s Baby Love so I don’t know if it’s the same as the Supremes song.

Users who are viewing this thread