What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favorite 31 Songs by US Artists According to a Bunch of Middle-Aged Dummies (1 Viewer)

Yeah - I’ve tried to limit my negative takes in the thread because who am I to judge other people’s taste AND I’m a musical moron but the Zevon stuff doesn’t do anything for me.

Oh yeah, I'm not trying to be negative, but many of us have come to know each other's tastes over the years and that they're different. Mrs. R, for instance, has made it clear many times that she doesn't like the Beatles. I know most people like Steely Dan, while I just don't get it. Etc. It's no big deal as I don't expect anyone to like exactly what I do. Except simey and landrys hat, because they are unrepentant, recidivist snipers in music drafts. :hot:

Sorry if I implied you were being negative - I should have worded that differently. And I’m with you on most of Steely Dan.

Tomorrow's list contains a lot of new stuff again! You'd think we'd be coalescing around some of the top favorites by now, but that will begin to happen in another day. Once again, tomorrow some jerk is going to double me up, and that jerk this time is my own FF team co-owner! :rant:

We'll also have another double-up that should make @Uruk-Hai happy, and a double-up of an artist that will also be receiving a fifth vote for one of its songs.

Just Win Baby: The Warmth (1999), from Make Yourself - Incubus
(new artist)

New song to me? I don't know. Pretty good.

New Binky the Doormat: I’m Your Captain (Closer To Home) - Grand Funk Railroad
(new artist)

This was in my list at some point but it got pushed out. Love it. It may be what I used for my dream vehicle tonight.

Dr. Octopus: Rosalita (Come Out Tonight) - Bruce Springsteen
(new song)

Man crush on Clarence.

MAC_32: Call To Arms - Sturgill Simpson
(new song)

HOLY **** what a performance. SNL doesn't get much love anymore, but it is religion in this house. I can't believe I missed this. Because I would have definitely remembered it.

Oliver Humanzee: That's All There Is - Nina Nastasia
(new artist)

New artist to me. Started looking at her other stuff. I dig it.

Doug B:
The Breakup Song - Greg Kihn Band
(new artist)

Hell yea!

So good. Wish I would have had room for them in my list.

And he's still a zero.

Why don't people like Corgan? It seems to be a widely accepted opinion but I honestly have no idea why.

Unrelated note, saw Pumpkins last year at Sea Hear Now festival. It was at the end of the day, I'm going on 50 and was in the sun drinking/smoking all day. I remember almost nothing about SP, which is very unfortunate.

And he's still a zero.

Why don't people like Corgan? It seems to be a widely accepted opinion but I honestly have no idea why.

Unrelated note, saw Pumpkins last year at Sea Hear Now festival. It was at the end of the day, I'm going on 50 and was in the sun drinking/smoking all day. I remember almost nothing about SP, which is very unfortunate.

Unrelated random note. I think I appear in this video 4 or 5 times. First person to find me gets a beer.

Known-to-me favorites from #7:

What's Going On -- Marvin Gaye (Krista4)
Blue Sky -- The Allman Brothers Band (Shuke)
Don't Take Me Alive -- Steely Dan (Sullie)
I Heard It Through the Grapevine -- Marvin Gaye (AAABatteries)
Ball of Confusion -- The Temptations (Landryshat)
I'm Your Captain/Closer to Home -- Grand Funk Railroad (Binky)
When Doves Cry -- Prince (Chaz)
You're So Vain -- Carly Simon (DrIanMalcolm)
Bring It On Home to Me -- Sam Cooke (Don Quixote)
Break on Through (to the Other Side) -- The Doors (Marco)
La Grange -- ZZ Top (Mrs. Rannous)

As I have mentioned before, I am not much of a Springsteen fan, but I do like all three of his songs picked in this round.

3. That - don't ask me why or how my pea brain made this connection; years of therapy never figured it out - Wolfman Jack was the same person as Ray Charles.

Bro what?
I don't have an explanation, other than I was like 5 or 6 years old. I knew what Ray Charles looked like, because my mom had some of his albums. I heard Wolfman somewhere/somehow and I seem to remember thinking that it was Ray Charles' speaking voice.

You've not heard Roland before? Strong recommendation to go right out and buy a copy of the Excitable Boy album from Mr. Zevon - I really don't think there's a bad song on the entire album. We've had 6 Zevon songs picked for the list so far, and 5 are off of Excitable Boy. Big thumbs up, one of my favorite all time albums by any artist.

I know it will be horrifying for the Rannouses and worrierking to hear, but I've never had much interest in Zevon. Still don't, and haven't much enjoyed the songs selected, until this one. Diff'rent strokes and all. Certainly know many people who love him.

Hot take: I don't get the Zevon love AT ALL. Sorry everyone.

Pip’s Invitation:

Jesus Christ Pose - Soundgarden
(new song)
I took this in the Desert Island Draft I did on another board. When I made that pick, I said:

"This is one of the best things grunge had to offer, a perfect fusion of punk and metal that still gives me an adrenaline rush every time I hear it, even all these years later. In college I played this at earsplitting volume a ton. I'm sure my neighbors loved it."

It made me go :jawdrop: the first time I heard it and :headbang:every time thereafter.

And it helped that there was a video for that one that featured him prominently. Just What I Needed, Let’s Go, etc. predated MTV.

2. The lead singer from Skylark was white.
I came across a Youtube file of The O'Jays performing Wildflower live. In his introduction, Eddie Levert said: "At first I thought this was a white guy doing a black thing. Turns out it was a black guy doing a white thing."

New York Kiss - Is this a dance track?

"New York Kiss" is a modern rock/modern dance track. Your ears aren't lying. It's certainly got that metronomic click beat going. A rare feat in rock and roll indeed these days.

But, alas, you really can't dance to it unless you're really good at dancing. "I Turn My Camera On" by Spoon, a straight up disco/rock song, is another thing entirely, and was almost my choice for this. It was made for the disco floor.
Shout out to this pick from @rockaction - Not even my favorite song from this album but still kicks azz.

Have seen Spoon twice at the Ryman. Once in in 2018 with oldest daughter front row center balcony. And with youngest daughter and wife front row balcony in September. Love them as you will see tomorrow. Picking one song was extremely difficult.

New York Kiss - Is this a dance track?

"New York Kiss" is a modern rock/modern dance track. Your ears aren't lying. It's certainly got that metronomic click beat going. A rare feat in rock and roll indeed these days.

But, alas, you really can't dance to it unless you're really good at dancing.
I danced to stuff like this all the time during my Lost Years. I'm sure I looked ridiculous.

My top 6 are pretty chalky, by this group's standards anyway. However, my #5 has not appeared yet, and I'm kind of surprised by that.
Same here. My least-chalky song left is still pretty popular and I expect will get picked soon. In fact, I'd say we could be talking about the same song but I don't remember if you're doing the one-song-per-artist thing.

Pip’s turn out to be much chalkier in comparison, if we’re just going by where they ultimately end up in this countdown.

Another thing about Don't Take Me Alive:

The chorus is:

I'm a bookkeeper's son
I don't want to shoot no one
Well I crossed my old man back in Oregon
Don't take me alive

Until recently I thought the first line of it was "Hollywood, keep the sun." :laugh:

And he's still a zero.

Unrelated random note. I think I appear in this video 4 or 5 times. First person to find me gets a beer.

Unless that was you on the bongos at about 5:15, I couldn't find you during "Yeti," and that was seven and a half minutes. Cool jam song. I'm not quite in enough of a jammy mood to make it through "Arcadia" and wouldn't be able to take you up on the beer, anyway.

But that was a cool jam song.

Picking one song was extremely difficult.

I had about fifteen candidates and this was the one that sort of struck me at the time. It's very Spoon. A rock/dance track with an element of lyrical wistfulness and forward-thinking compositional qualities.

Makes me think of one woman in particular, too, who I will always associate with Spoon, so that'll help out the memory banks when choosing a song.

I won't list the songs I considered from them because I don't want to steal your thunder for tomorrow, but "The FItted Shirt," already chosen, was one of them. That's one I appreciate as I get older and more mature in my own listening. It's sort of an angular burner with interesting lyrics.

I have a lot of ballads/slower songs in my last and dominating my last 10. I'm a sucker for them. Can't Help Falling In Love was my wedding song and even though the marriage went down the ****ter I still love the song.

It was the second dance at our wedding. I remember dancing with my mom for the end of it.

Ok... i really do get it ...you guys get a bit tired of my Todd stuff

BUT

this was our wedding dance song 35 years ago ...

krista needs to forgive the sax.

Mated.

I don't have an explanation, other than I was like 5 or 6 years old. I knew what Ray Charles looked like, because my mom had some of his albums. I heard Wolfman somewhere/somehow and I seem to remember thinking that it was Ray Charles' speaking voice.
I bet you were surprised. They aren't exactly twins.

simey:

Man in the Box - Alice in Chains

New Binky the Doormat:

White Punks On Dope – The Tubes

The Dreaded Marco:

Sick of Myself - Matthew Sweet

I know Man in the Box was already picked yesterday, but I'm just highlighting it because of today's picker. I would have never guessed our always-sunny Simey had a dark side. ;)

As for The Tubes, all I ever knew was She's A Beauty from the early MTV days. Holy smokes this song kicks and the video from Old Grey Whistle Test is just so over-the-top glam. My day was made by hearing/watching it.

Even among all the great albums from 1991, Girlfriend was always one of my favorites. 100% Fun didn't get the same kind of acclaim, but Sick of Myself totally rules.

@scorchy please gift yourself and listen the entire live album "What Do You Want From Live" ...and then go check out youtube on the stage shows - absolute craziness ...and I'm lovin' it Jerry!!

when they weren't making much money and wanted to go big they changed ...and as much as I loved them before - my favorite album is probably "Remote Control" ... a concept album about TV taking over free thinking ...

@Eephus may appreciate Prarie's drum hammering opening - and continuing.

I bet you were surprised. They aren't exactly twins.
By the time I finally saw Jack on TV, I no longer thought he was Ray Charles. IIRC, Wolfman didn't allow himself to be photographed or filmed until the 1970s. The first time I can recall seeing him may have been when "American Grafitti" came out and he was on some show like Merv Griffin or something.

Anyway, it was a fleeting snapshot from 55 years ago that somehow has stuck with me. I doubt I thought about it much after the initial (false) epiphany.

My top 6 are pretty chalky, by this group's standards anyway. However, my #5 has not appeared yet, and I'm kind of surprised by that.
Same here. My least-chalky song left is still pretty popular and I expect will get picked soon. In fact, I'd say we could be talking about the same song but I don't remember if you're doing the one-song-per-artist thing.
I’m very chalky going forward as well, although my No. 1 hasn’t been picked yet - which I’m a little surprised by (the band has been a few times).

@shuke that performance was my intro to Sturgill. Wasn't the first time I'd heard of him, but I just hadn't listened. Then that link got shared in a group text the morning after. I started listening to Sturgill after watching that.

Mfkr shredded that stage.

I’m very chalky going forward as well, although my No. 1 hasn’t been picked yet - which I’m a little surprised by (the band has been a few times).
Same with me — I think all except my #1 song have shown up already.

Pip’s Invitation:

(new song)
I took this in the Desert Island Draft I did on another board. When I made that pick, I said:

"This is one of the best things grunge had to offer, a perfect fusion of punk and metal that still gives me an adrenaline rush every time I hear it, even all these years later. In college I played this at earsplitting volume a ton. I'm sure my neighbors loved it."

It made me go :jawdrop: the first time I heard it and :headbang:every time thereafter.
I saw Soundgarden at Aragon Ballroom in Chicago and they opened with this song. Always been one of my favorites.

On a related note my 5 idiots are starting another countdown in our text chain on Jan 1.
Since we did US artists last time - we are doing top 31 songs by artists/bands from the British Isles - England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland (whether they want it or not) and while I don’t expect anything to come from them all the minor Isles would be eligible as well.
No other restrictions but like here l’ll keep myself to one song per artist/band.

Just some food for thought if were doing another one - I don’t think I’ll post the results live each day again so as not to “spoil” the FBG countdown - assuming we’re doing one.

On a related note my 5 idiots are starting another countdown in our text chain on Jan 1.
Since we did US artists last time - we are doing top 31 songs by artists/bands from the British Isles - England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland (whether they want it or not) and while I don’t expect anything to come from them all the minor Isles would be eligible as well.
No other restrictions but like here l’ll keep myself to one song per artist/band.

Just some food for thought if were doing another one - I don’t think I’ll post the results live each day again so as not to “spoil” the FBG countdown - assuming we’re doing one.

This is exactly what I had suggested for our next one!

Last edited:
Pip’s Invitation:

(new song)

I saw Soundgarden at Aragon Ballroom in Chicago and they opened with this song. Always been one of my favorites.
1994 or 1995? They did the same when I saw them in Philly around then.

Our GB Hawks64 woke up sick today, so we’ll need another volunteer to put together the playlist after I post. @simey ? Anyone?
I don't mind doing it. I'm going out of town at 1:30 to see a band called Yarn tonight with some friends, but I imagine you'll have it up well before then, and I'll do it.
Are they playing at the Knitting Factory?

Last edited:
Our GB Hawks64 woke up sick today, so we’ll need another volunteer to put together the playlist after I post. @simey ? Anyone?
I don't mind doing it. I'm going out of town at 1:30 to see a band called Yarn tonight with some friends, but I imagine you'll have it up well before then, and I'll do it.
Are the playing at the Knitting Factory?
It's a special holiday event called the Yuletide Yarn Ball. not really

Users who are viewing this thread