What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favorite 31 Songs by US Artists According to a Bunch of Middle-Aged Dummies (2 Viewers)

Preview of tomorrow, and you can take this to the bank:

- It's a Tom Petty-free day! No, really!
- We will visit both heaven AND Hell
- Just in time for Thanksgiving, we have two (2) Christmas songs! 🎄
- A song recently spotlighted in scorchy's awesome 1986/1996 thread
- A country, two US states, and one US city. U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
- A song with the title of a beloved album from one of our favorite artists.
- One of the two songs that appeared on both of the first two lists I received.
- Two songs that were in contention for the answer to this teaser when it was posted: "Which will be the highest ranking song that will be the only song for which the particular artist has votes (and who is the artist)? Or, put in opposite terms, which artist will rank the highest on the basis of only one song (and what is the song)?"
- One of the songs from this earlier teaser: "We have several songs that have received votes for different versions by different artists. One such song has two versions that have been listed. Both versions are by artists that at one point had an early lead for consensus "favorite song," but in each case, for a different song than this one."

You're a fine girl.

Today and tomorrow I'm off of work. We’ll see if I can’t catch most of the way up around Turkey Day events

Recognized by title alone: 16
Sounded familiar: 3
Didn't know: 16

Selected Favorites:
Not listed: One song on this list that would be higher on mine. First crossover I can be sure of – but then again I’m only on 26s
Red Lite, Green Lite, TNT - I don’t remember if any friends owned a Kix album, and yet this is an instant flashback to my high school days.
Mannish Boy - Another song that I never would’ve really considered, but that I knew well on this refresher listen.
Misled - Almost ditto what I just typed. This feels like a deeper cut though, and not necessarily springs to mind when you think of this band.

Songs I didn't know that I ended up liking:
Inside My Head - Research afterwards showed I (sort of) recognized a few other songs by them, but this one was 100% new. Noted for a possible follow-up.
Comfy in Nautica - This one’s a bit of a rollercoaster, but in a positive way. Dreamy at bits, but rhythmic and certainly experimental.
Heavy is the Head - Not surprisingly, having Cornell in there gives it a good start. But this is a good mesh of voices/styles, and just a bit catchy too.

Lonely Boy by the Black Keys
(y) I had this and Tighten Up to choose from for my list. Love them both. This one also has a unique video as the Keys tend to have. 🕺
Love the story behind the video. They originally shot a video with a cast of 40 people, but did not like how the finished product turned out and rejected it. So, they decided to just go with what they filmed of an extra dancing to it.

Last edited:
My song today is from Willis Alan Ramsey, who I'm sure some of you haven't heard of. He's a legend in some circles for putting out one and only one album, in 1972, that was a huge critical success. And then he basically disappeared. For years and years, people covered his songs, sometimes with great commercial success, but he was just...gone. Then suddenly about 20 years ago he turned up again in Texas playing occasional shows and allegedly working on a new album. 50 years after release of his first album, the second one is still "in the works." He's a huge cult figure in Americana.

In addition to the song I chose, which is the most beautiful love song I've ever heard, I love Geraldine and the Honeybee, Ballad of Spider John (famously covered by Jimmy Buffett), and Muskrat Candlelight (yes, famously covered by Captain and Tennille).

I like to think I know a little about Americana but apparently I don’t as he is new to me.

The only version of Ballad of Spider John I’m familiar with is Sam Bush’s. Looking forward to hearing the original.

@Doug B Sentimental Lady - Bob Welch - My wife liked this one.
TIL that on this album (1977's French Kiss) Welch generally recorded a traditional four-piece rock ensemble with two musicians -- himself laying down the lead guitar, the rhythm guitar AND the bass guitar alongside with a session drummer. Lindsey Buckingham did contribute an additional guitar line to "Sentimental Lady".

Caught up on yesterday's and today's "new to me" tracks. It was a tale of two cities, the best of times and the worst of times.

On yesterday's list, there weren't many I hadn't heard that I liked. As I suspected, I already knew the Funkadelic and Tennessee Ernie Ford songs, and I rate them both an A+, but I'm throwing them out as "not new to me." Of the actually new to me, Taneytown by Steve Earle was the clear standout. Filthy, filthy, filthy, in a good way (are there bad ways?). Like many others, I was also taken with the Karl Hendricks track. Still D.R.E. is one I've probably heard before, but I enjoyed a lot. Special shout-out to He Went to Paris! I don't listen to Jimmy Buffett as his voice irritates me for some reason, but this was a beautiful composition.

Today was hit after hit for me. "Best in class" awards go to Lizzo(!), whose track was hilarious and brilliant, and Neko Case's stunning Deep Red Bells. Wait, my top two were from female artists?!? What has become of me? Also a shout-out to a third female, Taylor Swift. I've probably heard one of her songs in passing without knowing it was her, but this thread is the first time I've knowingly put one of her songs on. It's not my cuppa, but I understand the hype. Massive talent. The Emmylou cover of "Goodbye" is brilliant, though I still prefer the original. Runner-up status to the Drive-By Truckers song. How does that guy sound exactly like Van Morrison in this song? It doesn't make any sense, yet he does.

I noticed that when Hawks put together the playlist, songs that were chosen twice got listed twice, including Emmylou twice in a row. :lmao: That's good shtick.
It's the only way I can figure out what I missed when I'm done with the list and there are only 33 songs and I'm all :confused: ...if I didn't do it I would never figure it out. I'm pretty simple that way :lmao:

@Doug B Sentimental Lady - Bob Welch - My wife liked this one.
TIL that on this album (1977's French Kiss) Welch generally recorded a traditional four-piece rock ensemble with two musicians -- himself laying down the lead guitar, the rhythm guitar AND the bass guitar alongside with a session drummer. Lindsey Buckingham did contribute an additional guitar line to "Sentimental Lady".
his version of "Hypnotized" made it pretty far towards my top songs - but didn't make it in

Hypnotized

Just like @shuke I can't do a top 3 any longer, way too many songs in the last few rounds I've liked. Especially a few new to me.

@Just Win Baby – Dream On by Aerosmith - I meant it's Aerosmith, not my favorite song of theirs but it's up there, and it's the 70s version of the band, which IMO is the best version by a long shot.

@Manster – Rusty Cage by Soundgarden - another band where I dig most of the songs, really hard to turn off one of their songs.

@New Binky the Doormat – You Keep Me Hangin’ On by Vanilla Fudge - new version to me, and I like the slower version compared to the Supremes version. Much more emotion in this one.

@jwb – Foreplay/Long Time by Boston - young me always hated this song, such a long intro, I was like comeonman and hurry up!! Wiser me thinks younger me was an idiot.

@MAC_32 – Hard to Handle by The Black Crowes - Love the Crowes and love this album, another song on this album was a regrettable very late cut.

@worrierking – Winners and Loser by Social Distortion - I think this is the second Social Distortion song I've liked so far? New to me and like their work so far.

@The Dreaded Marco – Deep Red Bells by Neko Case - the 3rd new to me this round that I've really liked, almost a haunting musical vibe to it.

I did not do an official first five out either. Here’s mine for the @Hov34 playlist…

Holland, 1945 by Neutral Milk Hotel

Dead Flowers by Townes Van Zandt (Poncho & Lefty some consideration too)

Badlands by Bruce Springsteen

Lonely Boy by the Black Keys

Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) by Darlene Love

Added (along with the others I missed)

It's definitely an eclectic mix. :loco:

You included probably my favorite Christmas song ever - It's not Christmas until I hear that song.

Last edited:
Welcome to the countdown, KarmaPolice!

Number 22:

krista4:

Twilight Creeps – Crooked Fingers

Just Win Baby:

Crossing a Line (2018), from Post Traumatic - Mike Shinoda

simey:

Let's Stay Together – Rev. Al Green

scorchy:

Sink, Florida, Sink – Against Me!

neal cassady:

Christmas Time Is Here (instrumental)- Vince Guaraldi Trio

Uruk-Hai:

Tracks Of My Tears - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles

Yankee23Fan:

Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd

Manster:

St Louis Elegy – Mark Lanegan

shuke:

Marquee Moon - Television

rockaction:

Blonde On Blonde – Nada Surf

Mrs. Rannous:

China Grove - The Doobie Brothers

New Binky the Doormat:

Stand! - Sly & The Family Stone

Pip’s Invitation:

Where It's At - Beck

Dr. Octopus:

I Don’t Want To Go Home – Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes

Val Rannous:

Hurt - Johnny Cash

Chaz McNulty:

Always on My Mind - Willie Nelson

Don Quixote:

I Heard it Through the Grapevine - Marvin Gaye

Sullie:

Uncle Tom's Cabin – Warrant

jwb:

Witchy Woman – Eagles

DrIanMalcolm:

Begin the Begin, REM

Hawks64:

Sing For The Moment - Eminem

MAC_32:

Hitchin' A Ride – Green Day

falguy:

Brandy (You're a Fine Girl) - Looking Glass

simsarge:

Hold On - Alabama Shakes

worrierking:

Mercury Blues - David Lindley

Eephus:

Blank Generation - Richard Hell

Hov34:

Everlong - Foo Fighters

ditkaburgers:

My Song 5 (Remix) - HAIM feat. A$AP Ferg

AAABatteries:

White Christmas - Bing Crosby

landryshat:

Strawberry Letter 23 - Shuggie Otis

Zegras11:

Adelaide - Meg Myers

Ilov80s:

September - Earth, Wind and Fire

Oliver Humanzee:

It's Expected I'm Gone - The Minutemen

The Dreaded Marco:

Trailer Trash - Modest Mouse

Doug B:

I Won't Hold You Back - Toto

KarmaPolice:

Groundhog's Day - Primus

Last edited:
I must be the only person that’s not a fan of Christmas music. I like it on Christmas Day and/or while decorating the tree - otherwise I always feel like I’m “wasting” time where I could be listening to better music.

Also, while I’m not very religious at all, I only really like the religious songs and find the secular songs kind of silly.

Preview of tomorrow, and you can take this to the bank (Brandy):

- It's a Tom Petty-free day! No, really! ( :excited: )
- We will visit both heaven AND Hell (Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley and Blank Generation by Richard Hell)
- Just in time for Thanksgiving, we have two (2) Christmas songs! 🎄(Christmas Time Is Here and White Christmas)
- A song recently spotlighted in scorchy's awesome 1986/1996 thread (Where It's At by Beck)
- A country, two US states, and one US city. U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A! (China Grove, Sweet Home Alabama, a song by Alabama Shakes, and St. Louis Elegy) <---OK, I guess that was the same state, but twice, and also I could have included the Asbury Jukes as mentioning another city.
- A song with the title of a beloved album from one of our favorite artists. (Blonde on Blonde by Nada Surf)
- One of the two songs that appeared on both of the first two lists I received. (I'm going to leave the last three for speculation and guessing)
- Two songs that were in contention for the answer to this teaser when it was posted: "Which will be the highest ranking song that will be the only song for which the particular artist has votes (and who is the artist)? Or, put in opposite terms, which artist will rank the highest on the basis of only one song (and what is the song)?"
- One of the songs from this earlier teaser: "We have several songs that have received votes for different versions by different artists. One such song has two versions that have been listed. Both versions are by artists that at one point had an early lead for consensus "favorite song," but in each case, for a different song than this one."

Last edited:
I must be the only person that’s not a fan of Christmas music. I like it on Christmas Day and/or while decorating the tree - otherwise I always feel like I’m “wasting” time where I could be listening to better music.

Also, while I’m not very religious at all, I only really like the religious songs and find the secular songs kind of silly.

well then, I think you're gonna love this!!! Merry Christmas!! :lmao:

Ohio Christmas light display with sound ...

My favorites todays are "Let's Stay Together," "Marquee Moon," and "Always on My Mind." Special shout-out to "Hold On" by the Alabama Shakes, which was on my medium list and excites me every time I hear it. Brittany = phenomenal power.

In the battle of the Christmas songs, I'll take the Vince Guaraldi, though obviously both are terrific.

My song today, "Twilight Creeps," wouldn't make a list of "greatest" songs, but sometimes you just need a little pure pop perfection, which I think it is.

Nah, you're not alone. I'm not much into it, either, except on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

Dr. Octopus:

I Don’t Want To Go Home – Southside Johnny and the Asbury Dukes
It’s “Jukes” not “Dukes”. It was originally my typo on my list to Krista but I did send a note to correct.

After my divorce 2.5 years ago, I moved to Asbury Park, NJ - and there’s no place I would rather live. I’ve suffered a further tragedy since the divorce and Asbury is the only thing that’s kept me sane since.

I’m three blocks from the Beach and the ocean air/breeze is so cathartic. But my true love is the Asbury Park music scene, which is huge. I’m in walking distance of multiple live music venues, including the Stone Pony which gets major national touring acts - especially in the summer when the Summer Stage is open. Music is everywhere in this town nearly every bar has at least a local cover band plugging along and several venues with smaller national touring acts stopping in as well.

This song - written by Little Steven - perfectly captures the “jersey shore sound” with its horns and party atmosphere - but it’s deeper than that. The narrator doesn’t want to go home - and while that’s partially because he’s having a blast out on the Town, the real reason is because there’s no one waiting at home for him anymore.

Last edited:
Have you guys ever done a Christmas songs list? I feel like that could be fun.
Seems like there was one, but it may have been a category in a "palooza" draft and not a standalone.

I think we had a Christmas channel in the longest Genrepalooza ever.
Yeah, we had a Christmas channel in the longest Genrepalooza ever, and Eephus also created a standalone one a few years ago called 15 Days/Songs of Christmas.

I chose a particular Christmas song, as it evokes memories/images of my daughters, back when they were very young. Happy, not a care in the world. Now they are 21 and 23, so the image of them at that time is something that I can’t get enough of. Doll houses and Easy Bake Ovens..

Dr. Octopus:

I Don’t Want To Go Home – Southside Johnny and the Asbury Dukes
It’s “Jukes” not “Dukes”. It was originally my typo on my list to Krista but I did send a note to correct.

After my divorce 2.5 years ago, I moved to Asbury Park, NJ - and there’s no place I would rather live. I’ve suffered a further tragedy since the divorce and Asbury is the only thing that’s kept me sane since.

I’m three blocks from the Beach and the ocean air/breeze is so cathartic. But my true love is the Asbury Park music scene, which is huge. I’m in walking distance of multiple live music venues, including the Stone Pony which gets major national touring acts - especially in the summer when the Summer Stage is open. Music is everywhere in this town nearly every bar has at least a local cover band plugging along and several venues with smaller national touring acts stopping in as well.

This song - written by Little Steven - perfectly captures the “jersey shore sound” with its horns and party atmosphere - but it’s deeper than that. The narrator doesn’t want to go home - and while that’s partially because he’s having a blast out on the Town, the real reason is because there’s no one waiting at home for him anymore.
Nice summary. Southside Johnny is one of Bruce's guys, who appears on stage with him a lot (like Joe Gruschecky whenever the Boss is in Pittsburgh) and he has a lot of the same sound but Southside is a bit more soulful, a bit more Sam Cooke than Sam & Dave in a lot of ways; this one's a terrific one that pretty much gets Southside the way he really is.

And a few of us are def Jersey people; I end up at the Stone Pony usually once a year for some reason or another (Yacht Rock Revue has been a fave of late), so I feel you on Asbury, which just has so much to like about it...

Welcome to the countdown, KarmaPolice!

Number 22:

krista4:

Twilight Creeps – Crooked Fingers

Just Win Baby:

Crossing a Line (2018), from Post Traumatic - Mike Shinoda

simey:

Let's Stay Together – Rev. Al Green

scorchy:

Sink, Florida, Sink – Against Me!

neal cassady:

Christmas Time Is Here (instrumental)- Vince Guaraldi Trio

Uruk-Hai:

Yankee23Fan:

Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd

Manster:

St Louis Elegy – Mark Lanegan

shuke:

Marquee Moon - Television

rockaction:

Blonde On Blonde – Nada Surf

Mrs. Rannous:

China Grove - The Doobie Brothers

New Binky the Doormat:

Stand! - Sly & The Family Stone

Pip’s Invitation:

Where It's At - Beck

Dr. Octopus:

I Don’t Want To Go Home – Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes

Val Rannous:

Hurt - Johnny Cash

Chaz McNulty:

Always on My Mind - Willie Nelson

Don Quixote:

I Heard it Through the Grapevine - Marvin Gaye

Sullie:

Uncle Tom's Cabin – Warrant

jwb:

Witchy Woman – Eagles

DrIanMalcolm:

Begin the Begin, REM

Hawks64:

Sing For The Moment - Eminem

MAC_32:

Hitchin' A Ride – Green Day

falguy:

Brandy (You're a Fine Girl) - Looking Glass

simsarge:

Hold On - Alabama Shakes

worrierking:

Mercury Blues - David Lindley

Eephus:

Blank Generation - Richard Hell

Hov34:

Everlong - Foo Fighters

ditkaburgers:

My Song 5 (Remix) - HAIM feat. A$AP Ferg

AAABatteries:

White Christmas - Bing Crosby

landryshat:

Zegras11:

Adelaide - Meg Myers

Ilov80s:

Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley

Oliver Humanzee:

It's Expected I'm Gone - The Minutemen

The Dreaded Marco:

Trailer Trash - Modest Mouse

Doug B:

I Won't Hold You Back - Toto

KarmaPolice:

Groundhog's Day - Primus
Today's list

Two songs that were in contention for the answer to this teaser when it was posted: "Which will be the highest ranking song that will be the only song for which the particular artist has votes (and who is the artist)? Or, put in opposite terms, which artist will rank the highest on the basis of only one song (and what is the song)?"
Since said open to guessing…. I’ll guess Tracks of My Tears for highest with only one song by artist listed.

And I Heard It through Grapevine, with Marvin Gaye and CCR (What’s Going On and Fortunate Son as higher ranking songs, respectively).

Southside Johnny is one of Bruce's guys, who appears on stage with him a lot (like Joe Gruschecky whenever the Boss is in Pittsburgh)
Yes there’s a ton of local musicians still plugging along whose biggest draw is “Bruce may show up”. When Nicole Atkins played the Wonder Bar she even wore a shirt that read “I heard Bruce may show up”.

Southside Johnny is a level up from that though as he had a few big hits and has a following in his own right. In fact last summer (2021) I was out at a bar on the boardwalk on a Wednesday night and ran into a couple that traveled in from Cleveland for his show on Saturday. Apparently there’s a Facebook group of people that travel around following him (think Deadheads) and Asbury Park was always on their bucket list since that’s his hometown. I went to that show and while I’m not a huge fan, it was a great show musically and the scene was like one huge party where everyone knew each other. I had such a great time that night - and I went by myself.

Last edited:
Oh, and when I saw The Wallflowers at the Stone Pony (inside), we got one of those Jersey Shore moments, where while it wasn’t Bruce, Jon Bon Jovi did come out for the encore to sing “I Fought the Law” with Jakob Dylan.

By the way both Jakob Dylan and JBJ are tiny men. The top of their heads come up to the middle of my chest, and I’m only 6’.

Last edited:
A lot of heavy hitters in today's group, including some which will appear on my list later.

I am SHOCKED that Chap didn't pick this for Doc Oc's group exercise.

"Which will be the highest ranking song that will be the only song for which the particular artist has votes (and who is the artist)? Or, put in opposite terms, which artist will rank the highest on the basis of only one song (and what is the song)?"

I thought Marquee Moon would be a contender for this, until Ain't That Nothing showed up.

Val Rannous:

Hurt - Johnny Cash

Johnny 2, Trent 0

simsarge:

Hold On - Alabama Shakes

I was hoping they would show up at some point. If I had room for them, I probably would have included this one.

landryshat:

The R&B version of Willis Alan Ramsey, though he had more than one album before disappearing after 1974's Inspiration Information (a brilliant record whose title track may be even better than SL23), and he did finally release another record in 2018.

Uruk-Hai:

1965 was the greatest year in pop music history. How do I know this? Two reasons:

1. I have ears. It's not a "time/place" thing for me, either - I was in another line of work at the time, being 3 years old. This year had all-timers throwing haymakers at each other.
2. THIS record could only get to #16 on the pop charts. And it ranked #78 FOR THE YEAR (!!) by Billboard.

Smokey Robinson is probably the greatest lyricist in modern music history. And this record had his best. He's rhyming so fast.......rappers must curl up in the fetal position when they hear his records.

The guitar line by Marv Tarplin instantly establishes "Tracks Of My Tears" as a classic. It's - yep, I going there - crying. Then Smokey's vocal (probably his best) comes in and it's all over but the.......well..........crying........again. The doo-*** background vocals seem anachronistic at first, but keep Smokey grounded. Oh, and it's only the Funk Brothers providing the rest of the backing. What a beautiful recording.

Since said open to guessing…. I’ll guess Tracks of My Tears for highest with only one song by artist listed.

And I Heard It through Grapevine, with Marvin Gaye and CCR (What’s Going On and Fortunate Son as higher ranking songs, respectively).

I thought Marquee Moon would be a contender for this, until Ain't That Nothing showed up.

After people are done guessing, would you like me to give the answers? I don't think it would spoil anything as these all capture a moment in time, which might or might not end up representing the final scoring. :)

Yes there’s a ton of local musicians still plugging along whose biggest draw is “Bruce may show up”. When Nicole Atkins played the Wonder Bar she even wore a shirt that read “I heard Bruce may show up”.
You're correct on Southside, who is kind of the top of the pyramid of those guys - has his own draw in his own right and shows up more at Bruce's shows than any of those other guys.

Oh, and when I saw The Wallflowers at the Stone Pony (inside), we got one of the Jersey Shore moments, where while it wasn’t Bruce, Jon Bon Jovi did come out for the encore to sing “I Fought the Law” with Jacob Dylan.

By the way both Jakob Dylan and JBJ are tiny men. The top of their heads come up to the middle of my chest, and I’m only 6’.
Oh, yeah, that's for sure. Bruce isn't terribly tall but he slots in as fairly average in height.

Pip’s Invitation:

Where It's At - Beck

It's a brilliantly accomplished track that is extremely fun to listen to. I always perk up whenever it comes on.
Bottles and cans, just clap your hands, just clap your hands......
Like a year ago when my daughter was doing a can drive fundraiser my wife and I said this line enough to elicit about a thousand eye rolls from said daughter.....we laughed every time

Last edited:
The R&B version of Willis Alan Ramsey, though he had more than one album before disappearing after 1974's Inspiration Information (a brilliant record whose title track may be even better than SL23), and he did finally release another record in 2018.
I'm a philistine on "SL23", I think, because I like the Brothers Johnson version the best.

(I don't think I did the mutli-quote thing right)

I'm a philistine on "SL23", I think, because I like the Brothers Johnson version the best.

(I don't think I did the mutli-quote thing right)
The two SL23s are hard for me to pick between. And they're not that dissimilar. The main differences are that the Brothers Johnson's version is more slickly produced and longer.

Users who are viewing this thread