What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favorite 31 Songs by US Artists According to a Bunch of Middle-Aged Dummies (2 Viewers)

When someone takes a song that I have rated higher, I get mixed feelings. I want to be “oh hey awesome taste” but part of me is like “stop stealing my thunder”
Speaking of which, I think you previously picked mine for today’s upcoming picks.
That's great or I apologize. Whichever you are feeling at the moment.

Last edited:
When someone takes a song that I have rated higher, I get mixed feelings. I want to be “oh hey awesome taste” but part of me is like “stop stealing my thunder”
Similar. For me it's a bit more to do with how "obvious" of a pick it is. I don't have the "stop stealing my thunder" feeling if it's Boston or something, but I'm a little more protective if somebody takes the same Dinosaur Jr song, for example.

And you have taken at least 1 of my upcoming picks.

I'm shuked right now as two who else would take the artist I did. Fittingly, I will guess @shuke since NV isn't in this thing.

You're not necessarily in a double-up. We'll see.
Ah, I read that wrong. Only 2 of the 4 power couples are in these battles, with 4 artists doubled?

So IF I understand this (probably still not), IF it's our team I am doubled with Shuke and 80s is doubled with Mac with some hip-hop.
I am highly confident I am not doubled up with anyone tomorrow.

I remember when you said this about Kenny Chesney. :lol:

Oliver Humanzee:

Knoxville Girl - The Louvin Brothers
God, I haven't heard this charming little ditty in 100 years. How charming? Ralph Stanley - aka "King Of Death In The Most Awful Way Imaginable Songs" - covered it and then went and shot his dog just to make himself feel more hopeful. Oh, it sounds all sprightly and jangly - until you listen to the lyrics. Nina Simone should have covered it.

OH loves him some murder ballads.

Oliver Humanzee:

God, I haven't heard this charming little ditty in 100 years. How charming? Ralph Stanley - aka "King Of Death In The Most Awful Way Imaginable Songs" - covered it and then went and shot his dog just to make himself feel more hopeful. Oh, it sounds all sprightly and jangly - until you listen to the lyrics. Nina Simone should have covered it.

What did OH play in his band?

Oliver Humanzee:

What did OH play in his band?

Bass.

Another great mix of songs on #14. I didn't like it quite as much overall, as there were a couple skips.

Favorite new to me:

@scorchy - I see a trend, though not surprising if I remember correctly who you are. Besides Big Poppa, I think most of my Biggie exposure is just in the background. This track cooked.
@neal cassady - I will echo the love for the Simone track.
@New Binky the Doormat - First, new Binky should have a new, less terrifying avatar. Second, your pick was great.
@Eephus - I was blown away by this song. Probably my favorite of the mix.

Will never get old:
@falguy - Born to Run would have been my 1 or 2 if I wasn't such a dum dum.
@ditkaburgers - I had Green Day on my bubble, and it was between this track and She
@rockaction - this week I have been going back through all of RtJ's albums, and this track stuck out a bit, so I thought it was fitting you took it a couple days later.
@krista4 and @simey - I don't love the Beach Boys as much as most, but these two tracks are definitely the exception for me.

A couple random notes:
@Doug B - that track was close to making the cut. I loved the music, but didn't love the lyrics (odd coming from me), so it just missed for me but was still pleasant suprise in the mix.
@Manster for taking me back to HS with the Pantera. Cowboys from Hell was our main jam for swimming the year it came out.

Number 13:

krista4:

Let's Stay Together – Rev. Al Green
(duplicate – second vote)

Just Win Baby:

Free Bird (1974), from (Pronounced 'Lĕh-'nérd 'Skin-'nérd) - Lynyrd Skynyrd
(duplicate - second vote)

simey:

Louisiana Rain - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
(new song)

scorchy:

In Spite of Ourselves – John Prine w/ Iris Dement
(Prine - new song; Dement - new artist)

neal cassady:

Melissa - Allman Brothers Band

Uruk-Hai:

I Wish It Would Rain - Temptations
(new song)

Yankee23Fan:

Until the Night - Billy Joel
(new song)

Manster:

Off He Goes - Pearl Jam
(new song)

shuke:

Carry Me Ohio - Sun Kil Moon
(new artist)

rockaction:

House Of Jealous Lovers - The Rapture
(new artist)

Mrs. Rannous:

Shine - Dolly Parton
(new song)

New Binky the Doormat:

The Captain and Me – The Doobie Brothers
(new song)

Pip’s Invitation:

Machine Gun - Jimi Hendrix and the Band of Gypsys
(new artist)

Dr. Octopus:

Uncle John’s Band – Grateful Dead
(new song)

Val Rannous:

China Grove - Doobie Brothers

Chaz McNulty:

Sweet Caroline - Neil Diamond

Don Quixote:

Jolene - Dolly Parton

Sullie:

Midnight Train - Buddy Guy and Jonny Lang
(both new artists)

jwb:

Tuesday’s Gone – Lynyrd Skynyrd

DrIanMalcolm:

Living For the City, Stevie Wonder

Hawks64:

No More No More – Aerosmith
(new song)

MAC_32:

The Silence - Manchester Orchestra
(new artist)

falguy:

Try - P!nk
(new song)

(@falguy , please note stylized name, which I think is different from how I posted her name before. Don't want to mess up your spreadsheet.)

simsarge:

Power Of Two - Indigo Girls
(new artist)

worrierking:

If I Had a Boat - Lyle Lovett

Eephus:

Kiss - Prince

Hov34:

I Got Mine - The Black Keys
(new song)

ditkaburgers:

Hungry Eyes - Eric Carmen
(new artist)

AAABatteries:

More Than a Feeling - Boston
(duplicate – third vote)

landryshat:

Grandma's Hands - Bill Withers
(new song)

Zegras11:

Los Angeles - X
(new song)

Ilov80s:

American Girl - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

(@falguy , I note this was listed previously as just Tom Petty. I don't know or care which is correct, but just noting for you in case it messes up your calculations.)

Oliver Humanzee:

Marquee Moon – Television
(duplicate – third vote)

The Dreaded Marco:

Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana

Doug B:

What You Won't Do For Love - Bobby Caldwell
(new artist)

KarmaPolice:

Motion Sickness - Phoebe Bridgers
(new artist)

Last edited:
Ok, so back to music.

Our four double-ups today:
- Dolly Parton: Jolene (Don Quixote) vs. Shine (Mrs. R)
- The Doobie Brothers: The Captain and Me (New Binky) vs. China Grove (Mr. R)
- Lynyrd Skynyrd: Free Bird (Just Win Baby) vs. Tuesday's Gone (jwb)
- Tom Petty, with or without the Heartbreakers: Louisiana Rain (simey) vs. American Girl (Ilov80s)

And landryshat has shattered Bill Withers' dreams of being our "one-hit wonder" winner.

Need a name for when two people rank a song at exactly the same spot. "Bingo" seems too boring. (And "Ringo Bingo" was used in Zegras's countdown.)

We have two different songs tomorrow that have two votes each. To be expected in the upper reaches (Classic Binky: nether regions) of the lists, but unusual down in the lower rankings where a lot of people are taking lesser-known favorites. One of the artists with a [Bingo] will be making their first appearance, while the other has shown up a bit already.

Also need a name for when three people rank a song at exactly the same spot, as we'll have a few of those later, too.
2 times - Deja vote or Double Tap if anyone's a Zombieland fan
3 times - Thrice as nice or Triple sec
4 times - Quadrophenia

Bumping for @Uruk-Hai

Another great mix of songs on #14. I didn't like it quite as much overall, as there were a couple skips.

Favorite new to me:

@scorchy - I see a trend, though not surprising if I remember correctly who you are. Besides Big Poppa, I think most of my Biggie exposure is just in the background. This track cooked.
@New Binky the Doormat - First, new Binky should have a new, less terrifying avatar. Second, your pick was great.

Will never get old:
@ditkaburgers - I had Green Day on my bubble, and it was between this track and She
@rockaction - this week I have been going back through all of RtJ's albums, and this track stuck out a bit, so I thought it was fitting you took it a couple days later.
@krista4 and @simey - I don't love the Beach Boys as much as most, but these two tracks are definitely the exception for me.

A couple random notes:
@Doug B - that track was close to making the cut. I loved the music, but didn't love the lyrics (odd coming from me), so it just missed for me but was still pleasant suprise in the mix.
@Manster for taking me back to HS with the Pantera. Cowboys from Hell was our main jam for swimming the year it came out.

When you're posting these, would you mind mentioning the song rather than just the drafter? I'm too lazy to go back and look. :lol:

Favorite new to me:

Will never get old:

A couple random notes:

When you're posting these, would you mind mentioning the song rather than just the drafter? I'm too lazy to go back and look. :lol:
Will do.

Number 13:

krista4:

Just Win Baby:

simey:

(new song)

scorchy:

neal cassady:

Uruk-Hai:

(new song)

Yankee23Fan:

(new song)

Manster:

Off He Goes - Pearl Jam
(new song)

shuke:

(new artist)

rockaction:

(new artist)

Mrs. Rannous:

Shine - Dolly Parton
(new song)

New Binky the Doormat:

(new song)

Pip’s Invitation:

(new artist)

Dr. Octopus:

(new song)

Val Rannous:

Chaz McNulty:

Don Quixote:

Jolene - Dolly Parton

Sullie:

(both new artists)

jwb:

DrIanMalcolm:

Hawks64:

(new song)

MAC_32:

(new artist)

falguy:

Try - P!nk
(new song)

(@falguy , please note stylized name, which I think is different from how I posted her name before. Don't want to mess up your spreadsheet.)

simsarge:

(new artist)

worrierking:

Eephus:

Kiss - Prince

Hov34:

(new song)

ditkaburgers:

(new artist)

AAABatteries:

(duplicate – third vote)

landryshat:

(new song)

Zegras11:

Los Angeles - X
(new song)

Ilov80s:

(@falguy , I note this was listed previously as just Tom Petty. I don't know or care which is correct, but just noting for you in case it messes up your calculations.)

Oliver Humanzee:

(duplicate – third vote)

The Dreaded Marco:

Doug B:

(new artist)

KarmaPolice:

(new artist)
#13s Playlist Perfect timing as I am about to leave for the better part of the afternoon, little day trip to a meadery.

Number 13:

krista4:

Just Win Baby:

simey:

(new song)

scorchy:

neal cassady:

Uruk-Hai:

(new song)

Yankee23Fan:

(new song)

Manster:

Off He Goes - Pearl Jam
(new song)

shuke:

(new artist)

rockaction:

(new artist)

Mrs. Rannous:

Shine - Dolly Parton
(new song)

New Binky the Doormat:

(new song)

Pip’s Invitation:

(new artist)

Dr. Octopus:

(new song)

Val Rannous:

Chaz McNulty:

Don Quixote:

Jolene - Dolly Parton

Sullie:

(both new artists)

jwb:

DrIanMalcolm:

Hawks64:

(new song)

MAC_32:

(new artist)

falguy:

Try - P!nk
(new song)

simsarge:

(new artist)

worrierking:

Eephus:

Kiss - Prince

Hov34:

(new song)

ditkaburgers:

(new artist)

AAABatteries:

(duplicate – third vote)

landryshat:

(new song)

Zegras11:

Los Angeles - X
(new song)

Ilov80s:

Oliver Humanzee:

(duplicate – third vote)

The Dreaded Marco:

Doug B:

(new artist)

KarmaPolice:

(new artist)
#13s Playlist Perfect timing as I am about to leave for the better part of the afternoon, little day trip to a meadery.
Thanks. Need something to take the sting out of the first half.

Uruk-Hai:

Sometime early on Motown figured out that, while Happy David Ruffin could be wonderful (as on, say, "My Girl"), Sad David Ruffin was about as good as it gets. Even if you've never heard the song, the title alone should let you know which David Ruffin we're getting here.

That beautiful piano line alone should have won this record about eleventy-one Grammys. Then Sad David Ruffin enters the room and all hope is extinguished. Thank you, Sad David Ruffin, for one of the best vocal performances I've ever heard.

I've only lost 2 of my top 12...1 was very expected, but selfishly I was a little dejected about the other 1. That song's mine god dammit! :ROFLMAO:

"A Report To The Shareholders" was inspired by a book of poetry by a man named John Beecher whose "Whose America?!" was the sample spoken word lick used in "Patriotism," the infamous song off of Soundbombing II by El-P and his act, Company Flow. His poetry book Report To the Stockholders was certainly something that El-P remembered both in sample and in title.

Report To The Stockholders by John Beecher

A Dog's Life And Some Others by John Beecher

Anyway, the song isn't necessarily Run The Jewels best, but it summarizes their m.o. or their agenda, really.

El spit fire I spit ether
We the gladiators that depose all Caesers
Coming soon on a new world tour
Probably pay the score for the world war
At the apocalypse play the encore
Turn around see El and I smile
Hell comin' and we got about a mile
Until then I remain hostile
They opened for Rage this summer - VERY impressed. Finally motivated me to start spinning them.

Somebody doing 80s/90s movie soundtrack songs theme? It feels like damn near every playlist has an odd song that I do a double take on that reminds me of a movie. Pretty sure I heard something I remember off the Dumb and Dumber soundtrack, FFS.

Somebody doing 80s/90s movie soundtrack songs theme? It feels like damn near every playlist has an odd song that I do a double take on that reminds me of a movie. Pretty sure I heard something I remember off the Dumb and Dumber soundtrack, FFS.
Mary Moon is on today's spin?!

Mary Moon is on today's spin?!
No, but a few songs on today would qualify. The Dumb and Dumber song was on one of the first I listened to.

He may not be everyone's favorite director, but Tarantino soundtracks would have a lot of selections.
Yep, I've heard at least 2. One on Pulp, and one on Jackie Brown.

It wasn’t my pick but the Pete Droge song was used in Dumb and Dumber but was on his album first.

Starting to get to a lot of duplicates, so I won't keep calling out the same songs. This was another great mix with some personal faves .

New to Me:
@Uruk-Hai : Temptations - I Wish it Would Rain Not sure how I've never heard this before. There is a lot of Motown going in my playlist of standouts from this adventure.
@New Binky the Doormat: Doobie Brothers - The Captain and Me Only heard a couple of their songs. Loved this and spun it a few times already.
@MAC_32 : Manchester Orchestra - The Silence Also getting an award for ironic bands names for these playlists, this was the double whammy since I hadn't heard of them as an artist. This took the top spot of new finds of the countdown so far. I will be exploring more.
@landrys hat : Bill Withers - Grandmas Hands like others in this group, heard a few songs of the artist, but not this one.

Random shout outs:

@Manster PJ - Off He Goes I should have had them on my list. After really not liking it in college, No Code has become my favorite album of theirs, and my pick would have come from this one. Great pick.
@shuke Sun Kil Moon - Carry Me Ohio Salty that you are in here stealing my SKM thunder, but I was pretty sure you were going here so I went for a different song. So there! :p
@Mrs. Rannous Dolly Parton - Shine For making me really confused and now not knowing who was covering who.
@krista4 Just to not post your song and annoy you. ;)

It wasn’t my pick but the Pete Droge song was used in Dumb and Dumber but was on his album first.
Most wouldn't be new for the soundtrack that have caught my ear. Just that I associate them with a movie, soundtrack, or scene - like that one or American Girl.

What a fun thread. Sorry I missed it earlier; would have loved to participate.

You should put together your list and post it after we've finished!

Also, haven't discussed it much yet in order to keep the focus on this one, but I'm sure we'll be doing another one of these sometime after the first of the year. That reminds me that I wanted to respond to an earlier post, which I think was from Just Win Baby, suggesting we do this countdown but opposite, which is bands with at least one non-US member. Since that basically opens the countdown up to every song that wasn't eligible here, I think it's too broad. People seem to enjoy this thread, and therefore I'd rather have the next one capture a smaller list of possibilities so that we aren't "two and done." Maybe the next one could be the UK, which should give us plenty to choose from, and then we could do others from there including a "mixed nationality" one.

Headed up to Philly in a minute. Depending on a good playlist for tomorrow to give my son a bit of musical education on the drive home from the game.

Not including those previously listed (think there were 4 knowns and an unknown)

Known

Gold: Los Angeles (Zegras)
Silver: Teen Spirit (Marco) - didn't make the cut the first time around
Bronze: Uncle John's Band (Dr O) - maybe one of three Dead songs I actively like

Unknown:

Gold: Motion Sickness (KP)
Silver: Midnight Train (Sullie)
Bronze: I Wish It Would Rain (Uruk-hai)

Honorable Mention to House of Jealous Lovers (rock) which takes me back to an excellent time and place.

Starting to get to a lot of duplicates, so I won't keep calling out the same songs. This was another great mix with some personal faves .

New to Me:
@Uruk-Hai : Temptations - I Wish it Would Rain Not sure how I've never heard this before. There is a lot of Motown going in my playlist of standouts from this adventure.
@New Binky the Doormat: Doobie Brothers - The Captain and Me Only heard a couple of their songs. Loved this and spun it a few times already.
@MAC_32 : Manchester Orchestra - The Silence Also getting an award for ironic bands names for these playlists, this was the double whammy since I hadn't heard of them as an artist. This took the top spot of new finds of the countdown so far. I will be exploring more.
@landrys hat : Bill Withers - Grandmas Hands like others in this group, heard a few songs of the artist, but not this one.

Random shout outs:

@Manster PJ - Off He Goes I should have had them on my list. After really not liking it in college, No Code has become my favorite album of theirs, and my pick would have come from this one. Great pick.
@shuke Sun Kil Moon - Carry Me Ohio Salty that you are in here stealing my SKM thunder, but I was pretty sure you were going here so I went for a different song. So there! :p
@Mrs. Rannous Dolly Parton - Shine For making me really confused and now not knowing who was covering who.
@krista4 Just to not post your song and annoy you. ;)
Off He Goes has a very deep, personal meaning to me. I'm not gonna get too far into it, but I'm just glad that the stigma with mental health issues continues to be lifted......it's ok to not be ok. Also, I'm glad I could contribute to the lead for "honorary favorite Seattle band of Codgers" :biggrin:

I was introduced to Manchester Orchestra thru another music draft/thread on here. I have been hooked ever since.

These are some of my favorites from Round #13, not including repeated favorites:

In Spite of Ourselves
I Wish it Would Rain
Off He Goes - Sometimes Eddie V's voice can get on my nerves, but not when he sings like this. I forgot how much I like this song.
The Captain and Me
Uncle John's Band
Midnight Train
Los Angeles
Grandma's Hands
Smells Like Teen Spirit
Power of Two

Favorite new to me songs:

Shine - I know the original version by Collective Soul, but Dolly's bluegrass version gives it a whole new life, and I think it's better than the original.
I Got Mine
Carry Me Ohio
The Silence
House of Jealous Lovers
Motion Sickness
Try

After navigating that playlist I'm not feeling Dumb & Dumber, but I am in the mood for Happy Gilmore.

Double-Up Winners: Tuesday's Gone (see above), China Grove, Jolene, and American Girl
Best new to me: Buddy Guy/Jonny Lang's Midnight Train was a fun ride, but my vote goes to Dolly - Shine. Phenomenal cover.
Guilty pleasure: a perfect example why I'm listening to this blind - the opening refrain hit and I couldn't help but instinctively fist pump **YYYYYESSSSS!!!** Eric Carmen - Hungry Eyes.
Random Comment that may only be applicable to me: before this moment I was unaware that the intro for Blackstreet's No Diggity was a Bill Withers sample.
Bronze: Dolly - Jolene. Double the Dolly love here as Nirvana's medal stand shutout continues.
Silver: Let's get funky, Stevie Wonder - Living For The City.
Gold: Pearl Jam - Off He Goes. I should stop being surprised by some of these contributions. Their catalog is too deep for me to off the cuff say it's a top fiver, but it's one of the off-the-beaten path cuts on the short list.

Users who are viewing this thread