What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favorite 31 Songs by US Artists According to a Bunch of Middle-Aged Dummies (2 Viewers)

Three songs have been named by Krista and OH. Marquee Moon, Use Me and Long Tall Sally. None of which sound anything like each other. Lots of variety on the stereo at your place.

Just re-checked his list, and we have three more in common, none of which have been posted yet by either of us. I'd say two cover new ground from the three above. One of them was a shock for me to see on his list. I think he influenced me over the years on Marquee Moon, but the one I was surprised about I will take credit for influencing him on. :) The rest we came at mostly independently.

By the way, I mentioned this to one person on PM earlier, but I want to put it out there for the group: if you send me your contest guess tonight but change your mind on anything tomorrow after the #10s are revealed, feel free to re-guess. I'm not saying at all that tomorrow's post should influence, but just in case.

Actually anyone can re-guess as much as they want up to 11:59 PST tomorrow night.

Also I note that the spreadsheet is a couple of days behind on the picks, so don't rely on who's leading there. Not that you should anyway, since as you can see many of those we already know are in the top 10 aren't in the upper echelon at the moment.

Both Drive-By Truckers songs were winners. I preferred "Danko/Manuel" overall, but "Let There Be Rock" was fun and contained references to two of today's other artists (Blue Oyster Cult and Lynyrd Skynyrd)! "We Are Young" turned out to be a song I knew but loved, feels like a big guilty pleasure for me. "And the Beat Goes On" sucked me in with a fantastic bass line.
As a DBT fan from the get-go, it took me a bit to get accustomed to the new dynamic Jason Isbell brought to the band. He's an immense talent and wrote several of their best songs (Danko Manuel, God**** Lonely Love, Outfit) but especially live, it never really clicked for me. The Patterson/Cooley dynamic is the heart of the band and Jason - in my mind - took a bit away from that, again, even though I love his songs. Regardless, I'm glad he got help with his demons and he's way bigger than DBT now anyway.

If anyone has a chance to go the annual Drive-By Truckers homecoming weekend in Athens, GA, I can't recommend it enough. You'll never meet a more welcoming crew of fans, the opening acts are always top-notch, and there's a slew of great events other than the shows themselves.

Interesting. I saw them open for the Black Crowes many years ago with Isbell and they were fantastic. I didn't know them before that and it made me a fan right away. More recently I saw them open for the Tedeschi Trucks Band and they were ok but I was a little underwhelmed. Maybe just an off night.

Interesting. I saw them open for the Black Crowes many years ago with Isbell and they were fantastic. I didn't know them before that and it made me a fan right away. More recently I saw them open for the Tedeschi Trucks Band and they were ok but I was a little underwhelmed. Maybe just an off night.
Could be an off night or could be you simply like them better with Isbell. Lots of folks certainly feel that way and dude is a unique talent. I've probably seen them 30 times and was only underwhelmed once (last year) when the sound was brutal and pandemic policies were still in effect so the crowd was unusually subdued.

Manster:

Off He Goes - Pearl Jam
(new song)

From Saturday's picks. So far really enjoying this playlist but wanted to point out this tune which I ♥️ . I own No code but sadly don't even recall this song. Still not my favorite Pearl Jam ballad, that would be Just Breathe (which sadly I didnt even think about for my list :doh: ) but Off He Goes is a keeper. Thanks for this new one @Manster .

Could be an off night or could be you simply like them better with Isbell. Lots of folks certainly feel that way and dude is a unique talent. I've probably seen them 30 times and was only underwhelmed once (last year) when the sound was brutal and pandemic policies were still in effect so the crowd was unusually subdued.
I've seen them twice where their sound wasn't good. It was at the exact same outdoor venue where this happened (in Wilmington, NC), so there is a good chance it was the acoustics at the venue.

I've been so busy late last week and through the weekend I haven't been able to participate much. I'll catch up as I can.

Sail On is a really interesting song. The verses are basically country both musically and lyrically. The choruses are R & B with the horns and extra rhythm, then the outro is all R & B. It has some great setups before the mood changes, like "Yes, I'll be on my way, I won't be back to stay, I guess I'll move along, I'm looking for a good time" into the chorus. Brilliant pop song.

Last edited:
falguy:

Sail On – Commodores
(new artist)

I wanted to point out that this song has one of the biggest contrasts between the mellowness of the music and the harshness of the lyrics. It's basically a dis track.

I gave you my heart
And I tried to make you happy
And you gave me nothin' in return
You know, it ain't so hard to say
"Would you please just go away"

I've been so busy late last week and through the weekend I haven't been able to participate much. I'll catch up as I can.

Sail On is a really interesting song. The verses are basically country both musically and lyrically. The choruses are R & B with the horns and extra rhythm, then the outro is all R & B. It has some great setups before the mood changes, like "Yes, I'll be on my way, I won't be back to stay, I guess I'll move along, I'm looking for a good time" into the chorus. Brilliant pop song.
I love Still almost as much but was only taking 1 per artist so Sail On is just slightly ahead of Still. I'm sure someone here knows but I've always thought both these songs were about the same woman. She must feel pretty special.

falguy:

Sail On – Commodores
(new artist)

I wanted to point out that this song has one of the biggest contrasts between the mellowness of the music and the harshness of the lyrics.

For me, the coolest thing about "Sail On" is how Lionel Richie blends his normally-unsung country influences with contemporary soul and salsa. Three very different genres tied together seamlessly.

I'm sure someone here knows but I've always thought both these [Commodores] songs were about the same woman. She must feel pretty special.

Richie had been married to his first wife, Brenda Harvey, for a few years by then -- maybe those tunes are about a previous relationship. Though things ended badly for Richie and Harvey in the end.

Reading through Richie's personal life: TIL that reality star Nicole Richie is not only Richie's adopted daughter, she is also Sheila E's niece.

Doug B:

And The Beat Goes On - The Whispers
(new artist)

My friend made The Whispers crack up unintentionally.

His dad owned three R&B-focused record stores in Philadelphia and was considered to be a tastemaker in that scene, often being wined and dined and gifted things by record companies (before opening his stores, he had led a regionally successful band that included a pre-fame Grover Washington Jr.) In 1990 my friend accompanied his dad to a lobster dinner with the Whispers. Thing is, my friend didn't like lobster, or thought he didn't. His dad went back to the kitchen and told the staff to serve my friend's lobster without the shell. Then his dad told him that the unshelled lobster was chicken. Oblivious to what was happening, he ate the unshelled lobster and didn't complain about it. During the meal, the Whispers were cracking up because they knew what was going on. Eventually one of them gave up the ghost and told him what he actually ate.

And my friend was not a little kid when this happened. He was 19. Many years later I asked him why he didn't catch on that what he was eating wasn't chicken. He said "If Dad said it was chicken, then it was chicken!"

Bruce Springsteen
Bob Dylan
Stevie Wonder
Tom Petty
The Allman Brothers Band
Prince

LET'S DO ANOTHER CHARITY CONTEST!

Above are the six artists chosen in the original contest, who I've confirmed all made the top 10.

Who are the other four?

Send me a PM with your guesses for these four, and I'll award another $100 to the charity of choice for whoever guesses the most correctly. Tiebreaker: tell me which of your four you believe will rank most highly (first tiebreaker) and what # you think they will be (second tiebreaker).

DEADLINE: 11:59 pm PST on Monday, December 5.

I'll enter but need to look more closely but submitting.

I don't know how my charity song pick will work out, but I have a feeling I may get lucky for reasons I'm not sure I even thought about. (Will explain what I mean later)

Favorite new-to-me songs from #12:

Pieces of a Man -- Gil Scott-Heron (Neal Cassady). I know some of Scott-Heron's material but not this song. Devastating.
The Needle and the Spoon -- Lynyrd Skynyrd (Binky). I know of this song, but I never actually heard it because I only know their radio songs and the stations I listened to never played this. Great riff and harrowing message.
Mack the Knife (live) -- Ella Fitzgerald (jwb). This is hilarious, and yet a stunning vocal and musical performance. To take a flub and seamlessly turn it in to a legitmately good performance requires a tremendous amount of musical skill and nerve.
Waltz #2 -- Elliott Smith (Krista4). I haven't heard too much of Smith's material but he comes up in the music press all the time. I assumed his stuff was dour, probably because of how things ended for him, but this was engaging in every way.

The Commodores were my favorite band in the second half of the '70s. "Sail On" is a great choice. Also, good insight from both worrierking and Doug B on Lionel's country streak. There's a reason so many country artists cover him - it's baked right into his songs.

Richie's decades-long bromance with Kenny Rogers explains a lot about both, as Rogers was the most soulful country hitmaker of the late 70s & early 80s. When (& where) those guys were growing up, music was much more regional and there weren't many radio options - couple of country stations, couple r&b/blues, several gospel channels of all different stripes, a rock-&-roll/pop offering or two. Sometimes the same channel did all of these, but they were in genre-blocks based on who the DJ was and who was sponsoring him. It's why country music and the blues have always been two sides of the same coin.

I have a doofus question. How do you delete an old conversation from the messages? I can't seem to figure it out.

If you're looking at your list of conversation, there is a small box to the left of "replies" near the middle of each conversation listed. Check that box, and a pop-up will arise in the lower left of the page that says, "Choose action." Choose "leave conversation" and then hit "go."

Number 11:

krista4:

The Beautiful Ones – Prince
(new song)

Just Win Baby:

A Pirate Looks at Forty (1975), from A1A - Jimmy Buffett
(new song)

simey:

Midnight Train to Georgia - Gladys Knight and the Pips
(duplicate – second vote)

scorchy:

Fight the Power – Public Enemy
(new song)

neal cassady:

Marquee Moon - Television
(duplicate – fourth vote)

Uruk-Hai:

Bootzilla - Bootsy Collins
(new artist)

Yankee23Fan:

I Walk the Line - Johnny Cash
(new song)

Manster:

The Silence - Manchester Orchestra

shuke:

Waiting Room - Fugazi
(duplicate – third vote)

rockaction:

Midnight Show - The Killers
(new song)

Mrs. Rannous:

God's Gonna Cut You Down - Johnny Cash
(new song)

New Binky the Doormat:

Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes

Pip’s Invitation:

One Big Holiday - My Morning Jacket
(new artist)

Dr. Octopus:

Blister In The Sun – Violent Femmes
(new artist)

Val Rannous:

Carry on Wayward Son - Kansas
(new artist)

Chaz McNulty:

Edge of Seventeen - Stevie Nicks
(new song)

Don Quixote:

You Can’t Hurry Love - The Supremes
(duplicate – second AND third votes today!)

Sullie:

Riders On The Storm - The Doors
(new song)

jwb:

It’s Too Late – Carole King
(new song)

DrIanMalcolm:

Georgia On My Mind, Ray Charles
(duplicate - second vote)

Hawks64:

Touch The Sky - Black Pumas
(new artist)

MAC_32:

25 or 6 to 4 – Chicago
(new artist)

falguy:

Boys Of Summer - Don Henley
(duplicate – third vote)

simsarge:

(duplicate – third vote)

worrierking:

Alex Chilton – The Replacements
(new song)

Eephus:

I Wish - Stevie Wonder
(new song)

Hov34:

The Difficult Kind - Sheryl Crow
(new artist)

ditkaburgers:

Welcome to the Black Parade – My Chemical Romance

AAABatteries:

Fortunate Son – Creedence Clearwater Revival
(duplicate – third vote)

landryshat:

Visions of Johanna - Bob Dylan
(new song)

Zegras11:

Superstar - Carpenters
(new artist)

Ilov80s:

Ain't No Mountain High Enough - Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell
(Gaye – new song: Terrell – new artist)

Oliver Humanzee:

Return of the Grievous Angel – Gram Parsons

The Dreaded Marco:

Born To Run - Bruce Springsteen

Doug B:

Ai No Corrida - Quincy Jones
(new artist)

KarmaPolice:

Electric Relaxation - A Tribe Called Quest
(new artist)

The Supremes have our Deja Vote today with "You Can't Hurry Love," and Mrs. R and Yankee are battling it out over Johnny Cash tunes in our double-up, with "God's Gonna Cut You Down" vs. "I Walk the Line."

Both "Seven Nation Army" and "Marquee Moon" receive their fourth votes, to vault them at the top of the current rankings. My reference to Pip "getting his wish" was that Chicago has finally appeared on the countdown (Pip has expressed surprise several rounds ago at their absence), and the reference getting his to Eephus was due to his pick of "I Wish."

Last edited:
Zegras11:

Superstar - Carpenters
(new artist)
Older bro and younger sis were very into Carpenters as a kid. With my return to heavy listening to music in 2016, I think Karen has the best voice ever. This is my fave of all of them.

When I'm looking up YouTube videos, depending upon the song I'll let it run until I get the next one OR I'll pause it immediately. I let this one run because I hadn't heard it for so many years and was curious what I would think. What I thought was that it was so fantastic I let it run until the song was over. :thumbup:

Bruce Springsteen
Bob Dylan
Stevie Wonder
Tom Petty
The Allman Brothers Band
Prince

LET'S DO ANOTHER CHARITY CONTEST!

Above are the six artists chosen in the original contest, who I've confirmed all made the top 10.

Who are the other four?

Send me a PM with your guesses for these four, and I'll award another $100 to the charity of choice for whoever guesses the most correctly. Tiebreaker: tell me which of your four you believe will rank most highly (first tiebreaker) and what # you think they will be (second tiebreaker).

DEADLINE: 11:59 pm PST on Monday, December 5.

Bump for the contest!

The Commodores were my favorite band in the second half of the '70s. "Sail On" is a great choice. Also, good insight from both worrierking and Doug B on Lionel's country streak. There's a reason so many country artists cover him - it's baked right into his songs.

Richie's decades-long bromance with Kenny Rogers explains a lot about both, as Rogers was the most soulful country hitmaker of the late 70s & early 80s.
I think Charlie Rich was more soulful than Kenny Rogers, but Kenny was probably a bigger hitmaker. It's hard to label Charlie Rich, because he was a mixture of country, blues, soul, jazz, gospel, and even rockabilly. His eclectic style worked against him for years when he started out, because record labels weren't sure where he fit. He would eventually find a place, but he was always the misfit in the room. I think he was one of the most talented artists of his generation of peers.

Number 11:

krista4:

The Beautiful Ones – Prince
(new song)

Just Win Baby:

A Pirate Looks at Forty (1975), from A1A - Jimmy Buffett
(new song)

simey:

Midnight Train to Georgia - Gladys Knight and the Pips

scorchy:

Fight the Power – Public Enemy
(new song)

neal cassady:

Marquee Moon - Television

Uruk-Hai:

(new artist)

Yankee23Fan:

I Walk the Line - Johnny Cash
(new song)

Manster:

The Silence - Manchester Orchestra

shuke:

Waiting Room - Fugazi
(duplicate – third vote)

rockaction:

Midnight Show - The Killers
(new song)

Mrs. Rannous:

God's Gonna Cut You Down - Johnny Cash
(new song)

New Binky the Doormat:

Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes

Pip’s Invitation:

One Big Holiday - My Morning Jacket
(new artist)

Dr. Octopus:

Blister In The Sun – Violent Femmes
(new artist)

Val Rannous:

Carry on Wayward Son - Kansas
(new artist)

Chaz McNulty:

Edge of Seventeen - Stevie Nicks
(new song)

Don Quixote:

(duplicate – second AND third votes today!)

Sullie:

Riders On The Storm - The Doors
(new song)

jwb:

It’s Too Late – Carole King
(new song)

DrIanMalcolm:

Georgia On My Mind, Ray Charles
(duplicate - second vote)

Hawks64:

Touch The Sky - Black Pumas
(new artist)

MAC_32:

25 or 6 to 4 – Chicago
(new artist)

falguy:

Boys Of Summer - Don Henley
(duplicate – third vote)

simsarge:

(duplicate – third vote)

worrierking:

Alex Chilton – The Replacements
(new song)

Eephus:

I Wish - Stevie Wonder
(new song)

Hov34:

The Difficult Kind - Sheryl Crow
(new artist)

ditkaburgers:

Welcome to the Black Parade – My Chemical Romance

AAABatteries:

Fortunate Son – Creedence Clearwater Revival
(duplicate – third vote)

landryshat:

Visions of Johanna - Bob Dylan
(new song)

Zegras11:

Superstar - Carpenters
(new artist)

Ilov80s:

Ain't No Mountain High Enough - Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell
(Gaye – new song: Terrell – new artist)

Oliver Humanzee:

Return of the Grievous Angel – Gram Parsons

The Dreaded Marco:

Born To Run - Bruce Springsteen

Doug B:

Ai No Corrida - Quincy Jones
(new artist)

KarmaPolice:

Electric Relaxation - A Tribe Called Quest
(new artist)
Today's musical enjoyment.

I think Charlie Rich was more soulful than Kenny Rogers, but Kenny was probably a bigger hitmaker. It's hard to label Charlie Rich, because he was a mixture of country, blues, soul, jazz, gospel, and even rockabilly. His eclectic style worked against him for years when he started out, because record labels weren't sure where he fit. He would eventually find a place, but he was always the misfit in the room. I think he was one of the most talented artists of his generation of peers.
Oh, I agree about Rich. But his moment was earlier in the '70s, which is why I qualified the time period.

No spoilers but there is a song today that would have been top 3 for me, possibly #2, if the version was eligible.

Oh, I agree about Rich. But his moment was earlier in the '70s, which is why I qualified the time period.
Most of his crossover hits were from the early 70s, but I think "Rollin' With the Flow" from '77 was a crossover hit. He wasn't the crossover hit maker like Kenny, though.

One of my favorite albums Charlie did was his last one in 1992. It's called Pictures and Paintings. It's a bluesy jazz album, and he plays his piano all through it, and he still vocally sounds great. I love it. He died three years later.

While my selection today is not my favorite song, it's my "most fun" pick. Ella does Mack the Knife live, forgets some of the words, but clearly has a ball singing it with improvised lyrics. I had read that she thought it was a disaster - instead it won her a Grammy.

This rendition is hilarious and she's obviously such a great singer. Can't say it's my favorite version of it because she just butchers the lyrics but that's an outstanding cut. :lmao:

Today's known-to-me winners:

Marquee Moon -- Television (Neal Cassady)
It's Too Late -- Carole King (jwb)
25 or 6 to 4 -- Chicago (MAC 32)
Riders on the Storm -- The Doors (Sullie)
Seven Nation Army -- The White Stripes (Binky)
Midnight Train to Georgia -- Gladys Knight & The Pips (Simey)
I Wish -- Stevie Wonder (Eephus)
Fortunate Son -- Creedence Clearwater Revival (AAABatteries)
Visions of Johanna -- Bob Dylan (Landryshat)
Fight the Power -- Public Enemy (Scorchy)
Georgia on My Mind -- Ray Charles (DrIanMalcolm)
Blister in the Sun -- The Violent Femmes (Doc Oc)
Carry On Wayward Son -- Kansas (Val Rannous)

Notes:

It's Too Late is the 1B to my 1A of I Feel the Earth Move when it comes to Carole King. I had the latter in my Last 5 Out.

I didn't have room for Chicago on my list but I wanted to see them on the countdown because they were extremely talented and sustained tremendous mainstream success without hiding their talent (until after Terry Kath died). 25 or 6 to 4 is probably my #1 from them on most days.

Teenage me would probably have included Riders on the Storm in my top 31.

When the old-school rap playlist was rolled for the first time in GP4, I logged on early the next day so I could pick Fight the Power before Yo Mama.

I don't think I verbalized it, but I was also surprised we hadn't seen Kansas yet, given how much the Rannouses love them.

Uruk-Hai:

So.........this freaking thing.

Bootsy and his brother Catfish (& others) had the great fortune to get hired to be in James Brown's band in the early 70s after Brown fired the entire previous (great) band because they b1tched that he was ripping them off (narrator: they were right). They became known as the J.B.s and were one of the hottest bands of the era.

Bootsy and his brother Catfish also had the great misfortune of deciding to drop acid before a concert when they got a little too cocky (James was also ripping THEM off and was basically the soul version of Vince Lombardi at that point). Collins said his arms turned into snakes on stage. James fired them.

After - and I can't even imagine this happening, but would pay a year's salary to see it - turning down an offer to join The Spinners (WTF???), Bootsy was a bit adrift. So who swooped in to the rescue? Only the most stable person in rock history - George Clinton!!!!

JFC, to go from a Marine Drill Sgt to someone who made someone like Jim Morrison LOOK like a Marine Drill Sgt in comparison. And he passed on Thom Bell (probably a wise move, because Bootsy singing lead on "Could It Be I'm Falling In Love" may not have turned out as well as it did without him).

Anyway, Collins got his sea legs under him. He became a superb bassist and wrote some of the greatest songs of the '70s, including "Flashlight" (which has NO bass guitar in it and is probably Parliament's most well-known record).

He also got his own spinoff group - Bootsy's Rubber Band - with Catfish and Mudbone Cooper (and every other person in the P Funk orbit). Bootsy's LPs in the 70s were funky and even funnier than George's (George didn't give a damn). He outdid Pink Floyd with "Munchies For Your Love". He outdid the Isley's bedroom ballads with "What's A Telephone Bill". He outdid the punks with "Roto Rooter", a song so crazy I didn't have the gonads to post it here. He released an album in the early '80s called Ultra Wave which skewered New Wave so perfectly that, while also loving that music, sank like a stone.

Then there was this one. It's almost got too many hooks in it. There are quadruple-entendres. The time changes shouldn't work, but damned if they don't. There's not a lot of Bootsy's Space Bass here. He's gone wild with his vocal line - not exactly "singing" - and Mudbone is doing all of those high-register inserts. The horns are doing Glenn Miller/Duke Ellington stuff.

I doubt many will like this - and that's great! - but I had to have it on my list. Ranking it was the hardest. I was 16 and driving when it hit and it packs a ton of memories to me.

Teddy Bears and Barbie Dolls don't boogie down.

Here are a few favorites from this round that don't include already repeated favorites:

Beautiful Ones - Great vocals and the climax with the screaming is awesome
A Pirate Looks at Forty :pirate:
I Walk the Line
God's Gonna Cut You Down - I think his weary voice suits this song, and makes it work great.
Blister in the Sun - fond memories of college
Carry on Wayward Son - favorite Kansas song
Riders on the Storm - hail to the Lizard King
It's Too Late
Touch the Sky
25 or 6 to 4 - Terry Kath's guitar solo is one of the best
Alex Chilton
I Wish - favorite Stevie song
Ain't No Mountain High Enough
The Difficult Kind - favorite Sheryl song
Visions of Johanna
Superstar - purest voice ever

Favorite new to me songs

Bootzilla
Midnight Show
One Big Holiday
* I also like Welcome to the Black Parade, and must have forgotten to mention it the first time around.

Last edited:
Favorite new to me songs

Bootzilla
What? We've been doing this for over 20 years and I've drafted this at least half a dozen times.

Now I know how krista feels about no one reading her posts.

MD/NCSU in whatever they are calling that Bowl game in Charlotte these days. You up for a friendly wager? The twist is that I get NC State and you have to take the Terps.

Uruk-Hai:

And he passed on Thom Bell (probably a wise move, because Bootsy singing lead on "Could It Be I'm Falling In Love" may not have turned out as well as it did without him).
Point of order: Could It Be I'm Falling in Love was sung by Bobby Smith, who was an original member of The Spinners. So that probably would have happened anyway. Philippe Wynne took the spot Bootsy was offered. We were robbed of Bootsy singing The Rubberband Man.

Since I moved to top 6 last round, I'm sticking with it. My top 6 from round 11 excluding my own choice:
Another excellent round!

Favorite new to me songs

Bootzilla
What? We've been doing this for over 20 years and I've drafted this at least half a dozen times.

Now I know how krista feels about no one reading her posts.

MD/NCSU in whatever they are calling that Bowl game in Charlotte these days. You up for a friendly wager? The twist is that I get NC State and you have to take the Terps.
I had a feeling I'd get feedback regarding Bootzilla.

It is the Duke's Mayo bowl (I think). I'm not taking those turtles. I wonder which QB NC State is going to use. When they played (and beat) UNC in their last game, they had to play their 4th string QB. He did well. The starter had a season ending injury against FSU, but I'm not sure what the injuries were for QB #2 and #3. @Just Win Baby might know.

Point of order: Could It Be I'm Falling in Love was sung by Bobby Smith, who was an original member of The Spinners. So that probably would have happened anyway. Philippe Wynne took the spot Bootsy was offered. We were robbed of Bootsy singing The Rubberband Man.
Don't ruin that fantasy for me, Pip! Or better, Bootsy as the lead with Dionne Warwick on "Then Came You".

Wynne joined P-Funk later on, which makes more sense than Bootsy in The Spinners - not by a lot, though.

Uruk-Hai:

Then there was this one. It's almost got too many hooks in it. There are quadruple-entendres. The time changes shouldn't work, but damned if they don't. There's not a lot of Bootsy's Space Bass here. He's gone wild with his vocal line - not exactly "singing" - and Mudbone is doing all of those high-register inserts. The horns are doing Glenn Miller/Duke Ellington stuff.
It sounds like P-Funk on crack, and P-Funk was already WAY high on the crack meter.

as the lead with Dionne Warwick on "Then Came You".
That was Bobby Smith too. Though Wynne does the vocal gymnastics at the end. Bootsy doing either would have been hilarious.

It is the Duke's Mayo bowl (I think). I'm not taking those turtles. I wonder which QB NC State is going to use. When they played (and beat) UNC in their last game, they had to play their 4th string QB. He did well. The starter had a season ending injury against FSU, but I'm not sure what the injuries were for QB #2 and #3. @Just Win Baby might know.
Ok, I'll take the Terps. They'll get crushed, but I am a trooper.

Ok, here's the offer: If State wins, I'll listen to 12 Billy Joel songs of your choosing and will do so in real time here and give an honest-faith review of each. If Maryland wins, I still get to listen to your 12 Billy Joel songs but get to snark the hell out of every one of them.

I don't know what the spread is, but NCSU is ranked and Maryland hasn't been ranked in 15 years. Straight up, no spread.

Deal?

Users who are viewing this thread