What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favorite 31 Songs by US Artists According to a Bunch of Middle-Aged Dummies (1 Viewer)

There is an artist that does very well in both the artist and song rankings, but I think only one person chose for the "other four in the top 10." Today I noticed why - to avoid potential spoilers, I don't want to be too specific, but more than 3/4 of the picks for this artist are in the top 10!

It had to be performed in their live sets. And it's a VERY difficult task for the lead singer. G.C. Cameron displayed insane range on that song, including some very hard-to-reach notes (see 2:24 of that clip). And then he left the group. So they needed someone with ridiculous range who could perform it as well as Cameron. And as wild as Bootsy's voice is, he has that range. And so, of course, did Philippe Wynne.
I've never heard Bootsy sing in falsetto, but his voice was elastic (he was in the Rubber Band, after all) so maybe :lol:

I'm probably really wrong on this, but my impression is that most people think Wynne was the lead on all of their hits (until he left the Spinners to smoke dope with George Clinton). Out in the wild, whenever I have mentioned the Spinners, the most common response is some form of "that Philippe Wynne was a great singer".
You have your arch nemesis Jann Wenner and the rest of the contemporary music press to thank for that. In the music guides and such, Wynne was always identified as “the lead singer of the Spinners” but in fact he shared those duties with Bobby Smith. And Smith was lead on I’ll Be Around, Could It Be I’m Falling in Love and Games People Play, among others.

One summer a really long time ago (really long, I’m old) we rented a shore house on Spring Lake Heights that was on 10th Avenue. My friend Brian got Bruce Springsteen’s phone number from a friend of his that did some babysitting for Bruce. I called him and left a message inviting him to a big party we were throwing that Saturday, stressing the 10th Avenue connection. He did not show up.

Ah, the top 10 (another great list by the way)

My top 10 are all personal to me for one reason or the other. And having said that, this exercise has made me realize that I could have spent a month on making my list and not been happy with it; just missed too many songs. But I went with my gut and I'll live by it. I'm good with my top 10 though because of what they mean to me.

Petty's American Girl is just a great song. For me, personally, it was the first song I played for my wife on the guitar. No so much because of the meaning of the words, but the fact I could play it. Anytime she gives me a, "good job!," in all its various forms I'm superman. So, my #10 made me feel like Superman for about 10 seconds. (you can feel free to add any pun you would like here to keep the humor of the thread going).

Uruk-Hai:

Until You Came Along - Golden Smog
So, it's the mid-1990s and there I am minding my own business doing the usual - hating (in no particular order): whatever was left over from the grunge movement, Celine Dion, yet another fake British Invasion more pretentious than the last, the lack of good funk, the lack of razors amongst the Lilith Fair(e?) crowd, and - of course - Billy Joel, because that's never out of season.

I was in the back seat of a car on the way home from a divorce proceeding between two great friends (she was driving, he was handing out beer from the passenger seat - it was amicable). They asked me to be the witness.

Anyway, she had on this radio station on out of Annapolis, MD. They were playing all kinds of stuff that didn't format. I asked what the hell it was. Turns out it was WRNR owned by Jake Einstein, who used to run the legendary WHFS out of D.C. - one of the original free-form FMs in the country. And Jake had put the band back together: his son Damien, Cerph, John Hall, etc....

And I hear this lovely, jangly guitar line come out of the speakers. Then a big drum slam. And they're off.

I asked "who the HELL is this?".

Betty: "Golden Smog". (she didn't say: "not Bill Callahan, but the supergroup", but now that addendum is pasted on my memory) .

Afterwards, anywhere I could find a jukebox with this on it I would spend an obscene amount of money playing it. It has one of the great barroom singalong choruses of all time. The lead vocal is slightly out of tune and the unison singing doesn't quite line up, but that damned guitar locks in. It's neat and sloppy, busted and beautiful, and all heart.

Number 10:

krista4:

Return of the Grievous Angel – Gram Parsons
(duplicate – third vote)

Just Win Baby:

The Man Who Sold the World (1995), from MTV Unplugged in New York - Nirvana
(new song)

simey:

Gentle on My Mind - Glen Campbell
(new song)

scorchy:

Time to Pretend – MGMT
(new artist)

neal cassady:

Golden Lady - Stevie Wonder
(new song)

Uruk-Hai:

(new artist)

Yankee23Fan:

American Girl - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
(duplicate - third vote)

Manster:

The Woman in You - Ben Harper
(new artist)

shuke:

At Least That's What You Said - Wilco
(new song)

rockaction:

The Rat - The Walkmen
(new artist)

Mrs. Rannous:

Veracruz - Warren Zevon
(new song)

New Binky the Doormat:

No One Knows - Queens of the Stone Age
(new artist)

Pip’s Invitation:

Papa Was a Rollin' Stone - The Temptations
(new song)

Dr. Octopus:

Mama Tried – Merle Haggard
(duplicate - second vote)

Val Rannous:

Paper in Fire - John Mellencamp

Chaz McNulty:

Sabotage - Beastie Boys

Don Quixote:

Be My Baby - The Ronettes
(duplicate – second vote)

Sullie:

Black Hole Sun - Soundgarden
(new song)

jwb:

Sweet Jane - The Velvet Underground

DrIanMalcolm:

10th Avenue Freeze-Out, Bruce Springsteen
(new song)

Hawks64:

New Light - John Mayer
(new artist)

MAC_32:

In The Ghetto - Elvis Presley
(new song)

falguy:

The Boxer - Simon & Garfunkel
(new song)

(@falguy , I have previously listed them at least sometimes as "Simon and Garfunkel," but I noted today that the ampersand is correct instead)

simsarge:

Ticket To Ride - Carpenters
(new song)

worrierking:

Born on the Bayou - Creedence Clearwater Revival
(new song)

Eephus:

Simple Twist of Fate - Bob Dylan

Hov34:

Everlong - Foo Fighters
(duplicate - third vote)

ditkaburgers:

Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
(duplicate – third AND fourth votes today!)

AAABatteries:

Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
(duplicate – fourth vote)

landryshat:

Maybe the People Would Be the Times or Between Clark and Hilldale - Love
(new song)

Zegras11:

Don't Fear the Reaper - Blue Öyster Cult
(duplicate – fourth vote)

(@falguy , umlaut warning)

Ilov80s:

Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley
(new song)

Oliver Humanzee:

The Ballad of El Goodo - Big Star
(new song)

The Dreaded Marco:

Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon & Garfunkel
(new song)

Doug B:

Can't Get There from Here - R.E.M.
(new song)

KarmaPolice:

Precious Stones - Mastodon
(new artist)
Tuesday's musical musings list

Uruk-Hai:

So, it's the mid-1990s and there I am minding my own business doing the usual - hating (in no particular order): whatever was left over from the grunge movement, Celine Dion, yet another fake British Invasion more pretentious than the last, the lack of good funk, the lack of razors amongst the Lilith Fair(e?) crowd, and - of course - Billy Joel, because that's never out of season.

I was in the back seat of a car on the way home from a divorce proceeding between two great friends (she was driving, he was handing out beer from the passenger seat - it was amicable). They asked me to be the witness.

Anyway, she had on this radio station on out of Annapolis, MD. They were playing all kinds of stuff that didn't format. I asked what the hell it was. Turns out it was WRNR owned by Jake Einstein, who used to run the legendary WHFS out of D.C. - one of the original free-form FMs in the country. And Jake had put the band back together: his son Damien, Cerph, John Hall, etc....

And I hear this lovely, jangly guitar line come out of the speakers. Then a big drum slam. And they're off.

I asked "who the HELL is this?".

Betty: "Golden Smog". (she didn't say: "not Bill Callahan, but the supergroup", but now that addendum is pasted on my memory) .

Afterwards, anywhere I could find a jukebox with this on it I would spend an obscene amount of money playing it. It has one of the great barroom singalong choruses of all time. The lead vocal is slightly out of tune and the unison singing doesn't quite line up, but that damned guitar locks in. It's neat and sloppy, busted and beautiful, and all heart.
Their first album (not the EP) is one of my personal favorites. As a huge Wilco and Jayhawks fan I was immediately drawn to these guys. So good.

neal cassady:

Golden Lady - Stevie Wonder
(new song)

I have seen this performed live ... by Phish. They did a great job musically. Vocally...

Since we're all about Marquee Moon in this countdown, you all might be interested to know that in advance of the recording of A Ghost Is Born, Jeff Tweedy took guitar lessons from Tom Verlaine. The glorious noises on this song and some others on that album are from him, and you can hear Verlaine's influence. Live, Nels Cline plays most of those parts, but he did not join the band until the tour for AGIB.

Eephus:

Simple Twist of Fate - Bob Dylan

Dylan has a ton of great songs, so if you'd asked me beforehand, I don't think this would have made my top 30 of his songs most likely to receive multiple votes in this countdown.

Oliver Humanzee:

The Ballad of El Goodo - Big Star
(new song)

I presume you would kick him out of the house if he didn't love this song. :laugh:

Pip’s Invitation:

(new song)

This was one of my favorite car-radio songs as a kid, and then as a teen when I discovered there was an 11-minute version, I was all :jawdrop: . As I said when it was picked in Doc Oc's countdown, it's one of the most powerful mixtures of music and lyrics that you can imagine. The vocal interplay is astounding and Funk Brothers are in top form here.

Getting down to the low double digits. Also getting down to many of these songs!

#12s
Recognized by title alone: 20
Sounded familiar: 3
Didn't know: 14

Selected Favorites:
We Are Young (Chaz McNulty)
What’d I Say (Don Quixote)
Godzilla (Sullie)
Because the Night (simsarge)

Songs I didn't know that I ended up liking:
Waltz #2 (krista4)
Boston (Hawks64) - This one in particular feels like a song that fits into the style of a few bands I like with minimal adjustments.
1 Thing (Eephus)
Happy (The Dreaded Marco)

Pip’s Invitation:

(new song)

This was one of my favorite car-radio songs as a kid, and then as a teen when I discovered there was an 11-minute version, I was all :jawdrop: . As I said when it was picked in Doc Oc's countdown, it's one of the most powerful mixtures of music and lyrics that you can imagine. The vocal interplay is astounding and Funk Brothers are in top form here.
It's an opera

The glorious noises on this song and some others on that album are from him
Did not know this as it sounds like Nels Cline's style.
Could be why Cline agreed to join the band. It wasn’t an obvious pairing at the time.
I just read he joined, to tour, after the record was released. I thought that was the first album he was on.
Ironically the first album he was on was Sky Blue Sky, their “dad rock” album.

Got drunk last night and booked a flight to Amsterdam in January. :oldunsure:
Did you also book accommodations??

Yes. :lol:

In my partial defense, I had been talking about trying to get away somewhere in January, though I was thinking someplace warm. Then I got an email from Delta yesterday with a big sale on fares to various spots, and OH was encouraging me to take advantage of the one to Brussels because of all the cool day trips I could do from there. Then I decided on Amsterdam instead because it would only involve one flight, and I can do the same day trips.

Will I keep this reservation? Unsure.

Last edited:
Did you also book accommodations??

Yes. :lol:

In my partial defense, I had been talking about trying to get away somewhere in January, though I was thinking someplace warm. Then I got an email from Delta yesterday with a big sale on fares to various spots, and OH was encouraging me to take advantage of the one to Brussels because of all the cool day trips I could do from there (I've been to Brussels before). Then I decided on Amsterdam instead because it would only involve one flight, and I can do the same day trips (I've also visited Amsterdam twice before).

Will I keep this reservation? Unsure.
So you travel like you buy and sell houses...on a whim, and that's awesome!

I remembered why I posted this here (in addition to making fun of myself), which was to solicit any ideas of shows to go to while there. But I was just poking around and now see that Belle and Sebastian are playing in Paris the day I would arrive in Amsterdam. Might need to switch to Paris instead.

Today's summary

New to me

simey: Gentle on My Mind - Glen Campbell
Uruk-Hai:Until You Came Along - Golden Smog :thumbup: Feels like it could be a Beatles song?
KarmaPolice: Precious Stones - Mastodon (I liked it more than expected after first few seconds. I bet the drummer had fun on this one)

krista4: Return of the Grievous Angel – Gram Parsons
I know it was listed previously, and Kudos to those other 2 for selecting it, but must have been rounds I haven't had a chance to review as I don't recall it. Nice song.

Known songs that stood out.

Just Win Baby :The Man Who Sold the World - Nirvana I don't like their music much but this song is good
Pip’s Invitation: Papa Was a Rollin' Stone - The Temptations
MAC_32: In The Ghetto - Elvis Presley
worrierking: Born on the Bayou - Creedence Clearwater Revival
The Dreaded Marco: Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon & Garfunkel

and

Doug B: Can't Get There from Here - R.E.M. Completely forgot about this song. Fantastic bass line.

Hov34:

Everlong - Foo Fighters
(duplicate - third vote)

@krista4 The spreadsheet and my records indicate that this was listed for Hov in round 22. Is that an error or did he vote for it twice?
At first I assumed I made a mistake lol, but do see it in the daily lists for today and that of round 22.

Gives me a thought on a new summary I should be able to produce. Song Title and all the people who selected it... 🤔

Today's known-to-me favorites, not counting my own pick and Everlong, which I picked once and Hov may have picked twice:

Smells Like Teen Spirit -- Nirvana (AAABatteries and Ditkaburgers)
American Girl -- Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (Yankee23Fan)
Hallelujah -- Jeff Buckley (Ilov80s)
Golden Lady -- Stevie Wonder (Neal Cassady)
Bridge Over Troubled Water -- Simon & Garfunkel (Marco)
Sweet Jane -- The Velvet Underground (jwb)
The Ballad of El Goodo -- Big Star (OH)
Be My Baby -- The Ronettes (Don Quixote)
Sabotage -- Beastie Boys (Chaz)
At Least That's What You Said -- Wilco (Shuke)
Can't Get There from Here -- R.E.M. (Doug B)
Maybe the People Would Be the Times or Between Clark and Hilldale -- Love (Landryshat)
Born on the Bayou -- Creedence Clearwater Revival (Worrierking)
The Man Who Sold the World (live) -- Nirvana (Just Win Baby)
Don't Fear the Reaper -- Blue Oyster Cult (Zegras11)

One summer a really long time ago (really long, I’m old) we rented a shore house on Spring Lake Heights that was on 10th Avenue. My friend Brian got Bruce Springsteen’s phone number from a friend of his that did some babysitting for Bruce. I called him and left a message inviting him to a big party we were throwing that Saturday, stressing the 10th Avenue connection. He did not show up.

Was it a soft infested summer by any chance?

Hov34:

Everlong - Foo Fighters
(duplicate - third vote)

@krista4 The spreadsheet and my records indicate that this was listed for Hov in round 22. Is that an error or did he vote for it twice?

Oopsie. Still feeling the effects of last night's wine. Let me check this.

Ah yes, I read "10" as being #10 instead of being the number of points, which is what he gave Everlong. Here's the real pick, and I'll update the post (@falguy and @Hawks64 , please note my mistake).

That's How Strong My Love Is - Otis Redding

MAC_32:

In The Ghetto - Elvis Presley
(new song)

My apologies to @MAC_32 but I can't listen to this song any longer because of this.
Is that Cartman? Not clicking on the link if it is. :laugh:
I am not clicking on this for the same reason. It was one thing for him to take Come Sail Away from me. In the ghetto is a line in the sand though.

Is Kyle's Mom is a ***** in your top 5?

Users who are viewing this thread