What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favorite 31 Songs by US Artists According to a Bunch of Middle-Aged Dummies (1 Viewer)

Unlike others I have bad news on the trip front. We canceled our trip to Florida because of Cassidy, our cat with lymphoma. We didn’t think he would survive if we left him for more than a week. He won’t let anyone other than us give him medications and he gets very stressed when even one of us is gone. Even if we boarded him, he’s immunocompromised so he might not survive that either. The good news is that his condition has not worsened and he is acting more like himself than he was in the months before his diagnosis. He is responding well to the steroid that he is on.

I was just thinking of him today! Wondered how he was doing, as well as Dr. O's dog Loki. I'm glad he's been doing so well!
Loki is doing well. The scare that his heart condition worsened was just his symptoms being exacerbated by some virus - the antibiotics got him back to “normal”. He still has his coughing fits when he gets overly excited or active but they are less harsh and not happening otherwise.

but otherwise I think of Boston as the most generic of all generic classic rock bands

I didn't pick them at all, but this strikes me as the wrong way to look at it. Instead of striking me as generic, I would say they helped define the AOR genre. Big difference in that and I think that my take would be more accurate. Ready to listen to counterpoints, as it's not my area of expertise. But if you can't show your significant other two tickets to paradise (Welcome to the gun show!) while the riff from "More Than A Feeling" is playing in a moving car, you're doing something wrong with music.
Gotta agree here. For a while during COVID, I got obsessed with those Rick Beato What Makes This Song Great videos. His one on More Than A Feeling gave me a whole new perspective. I always liked the song fine, but now can see how perfectly it's constructed.

The one whose popularity here surprises me is Don't Fear the Reaper. Good song and all, but kind of shocked that more than one person list it as among their ATFs.

This was awesome. You just sent me down a rabbit hole.
Enjoy. He knows his guano. The shows he sometimes does with other musicians are hilarious. His interview with Seal for "Kiss from a Rose" is great.

And coming full circle, he was a nü metal producer and helped define it in one of his videos. One of the songs -- and I mentioned earlier in the thread that I'd probably be the only one here with Korn earworms -- was indeed Korn's, and he used it to explain two of the distinguishing characteristics of nü metal, which were chromatic harmony and an absence of blues because they don't use the pentatonic scale on guitar in the genre.

Huh. I cannot tell you what either of that really means in a practical matter, but I learned something tonight.

This is a Cincinnati-based company so maybe I'm only seeing these. I listen to AM radio on my drive in to work so maybe there are radio commercials too.

This seems to be the culprit. Heard it this morning, so I'm guessing I hear it every morning. It has a Chris Collinsworth voiceover. It is ingrained in my brain.

A few favorites from Round #10 that aren't repeat favorites:

The Man Who Sold the World
Veracruz
Both S&G songs
That's How Strong My Loves is
The Woman in You
The Ballad of El Goodo
Papa Was a Rollin' Stone
In the Ghetto
Maybe the People Would Be The Times or Between Clark and Hilldale
Until You Came Along

Favorite new to me songs

Time to Pretend
The Rat
No One Knows

And coming full circle, he was a nü metal producer and helped define it in one of his videos. One of the songs -- and I mentioned earlier in the thread that I'd probably be the only one here with Korn earworms -- was indeed Korn's, and he used it to explain two of the distinguishing characteristics of nü metal, which were chromatic harmony and an absence of blues because they don't use the pentatonic scale on guitar in the genre.

Huh. I cannot tell you what either of that really means in a practical matter, but I learned something tonight.
Yeah, I'm in fascinated when he gets into the music theory stuff but feel like I need an interpreter. It's fun to identify any patterns among the songs I particularly love.

Gotta agree here. For a while during COVID, I got obsessed with those Rick Beato What Makes This Song Great videos. His one on More Than A Feeling gave me a whole new perspective. I always liked the song fine, but now can see how perfectly it's constructed.

I don't remember who first started posting some of these a while back but I find them utterly fascinating and I know nothing about music.

Number 9:

krista4:

If I Had a Boat - Lyle Lovett
(duplicate – third vote)

Just Win Baby:

You Got Lucky (1982), from Long After Dark - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
(new song)

simey:

You Ain't Goin' Nowhere - The Byrds
(new song)

scorchy:

Left of the Dial – The Replacements
(new song)

neal cassady:

What’s Going On - Marvin Gaye
(duplicate - third vote)

Uruk-Hai:

When Will I See You Again - Three Degrees
(new artist)

Yankee23Fan:

Cat's in the Cradle - Harry Chapin
(duplicate - second vote)

Manster:

Thumb - Kyuss
(new artist)

shuke:

Tuesday's Gone - Lynyrd Skynyrd
(duplicate - third vote)

rockaction:

Wouldn't It Be Nice - Beach Boys
(new song)

Mrs. Rannous:

Magic Man - Heart
(new song)

New Binky the Doormat:

I Need To Know - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
(new song)

Pip’s Invitation:

In Memory of Elizabeth Reed - The Allman Brothers Band
(new song)

Dr. Octopus:

Lord Only Knows – Beck
(new song)

Val Rannous:

Higher Ground - Stevie Wonder
(new song)

Chaz McNulty:

Nine in the Afternoon - Panic! at the Disco
(new artist)

Don Quixote:

What a Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong
(new song)

Sullie:

Small World - Huey Lewis and The News
(new artist)

jwb:

Hurricane – Bob Dylan

DrIanMalcolm:

The Boxer, Simon & Garfunkel

Hawks64:

Better Together - Jack Johnson, Paula Fuga
(both new artists)

MAC_32:

Proud Mary - Tina Turner
(new song)

falguy:

Time in a Bottle - Jim Croce
(new song)

simsarge:

Tumbling Dice - Linda Ronstadt
(new artist)

worrierking:

Willin' - Little Feat
(new song)

Eephus:

Right Place Wrong Time - Dr. John
(new artist)

Hov34:

I Heard It Through The Grapevine - Creedence Clearwater Revival
(new song)

ditkaburgers:

How Will I Know - Whitney Houston
(new song)

AAABatteries:

Johnny B Goode - Chuck Berry
(duplicate – third vote)

landryshat:

Summer Breeze - Isley Brothers
(new artist)

Zegras11:

Hazy Shade of WInter - The Bangles
(new song)

Ilov80s:

I Wanna Dance With Somebody - Whitney Houston

Oliver Humanzee:

Can't Truss It - Public Enemy
(new song)

The Dreaded Marco:

Waltz #2 - Elliot Smith

Doug B:

Step by Step - Eddie Rabbitt
(new artist)

KarmaPolice:

It Was a Good Day - Ice Cube

So, Cat's in the Cradle:

I was happy to see it early in the draft from someone else - don't remember who and way way too lazy to go look - because this is one of those 'punch me in the heart songs.' It was an ok song to me until I hit about 25 or so and we had our first child, my son. My world. Like I'm sure so many parents have in the past when I saw him for the first time I just knew that I would try everything I can to give him everything I never had and more. I didn't miss anything like the dad in the song - I was there for everything. Night time routine was mine from the day he was born. He was my sidekick until he became a teenager and didn't need dad with him so much. I miss my little buddy sometime but I'm proud of who he has become and is becomming. And I'll be his sidekick now.

But when I sit down and play this song on the piano I will - every time - start crying before I finish it. He didn't exactly become just like me, but he did enough. And at this season of his life I am the dad looking to spend time with him and he just wants the metaphorical car keys. God that line punches hard.

Shortly before we made these lists I was actually playing it at the piano and I couldn't finish playing/singing because of a conversation I had with him earlier that day (nothing bad, just life) and it hit me harder than usual, which hard enough. Wife looked at me and just said, "yeah."

Yeah. There is coming a day - very soon, way too soon, when I'll be retired and he won't be around nearly as much as I want him to be. I continue to pray that he doesn't grow up just like me. That he continues to be better. And can at one point look back and remember fondly his childhood and everything I tried to do for him and with him. Yes I'm tearing up writing this. Yes I'm that sap these days. I always will be for my little boy blue.

Number 9:

krista4:

If I Had a Boat - Lyle Lovett
(duplicate – third vote)

Just Win Baby:

You Got Lucky (1982), from Long After Dark - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
(new song)

simey:

You Ain't Goin' Nowhere - The Byrds
(new song)

scorchy:

Left of the Dial – The Replacements
(new song)

neal cassady:

What’s Going On - Marvin Gaye
(duplicate - third vote)

Uruk-Hai:

(new artist)

Yankee23Fan:

Cat's in the Cradle - Harry Chapin

Manster:

Thumb - Kyuss
(new artist)

shuke:

Tuesday's Gone - Lynyrd Skynyrd
(duplicate - third vote)

rockaction:

Wouldn't It Be Nice - Beach Boys
(new song)

Mrs. Rannous:

Magic Man - Heart
(new song)

New Binky the Doormat:

I Need To Know - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
(new song)

Pip’s Invitation:

In Memory of Elizabeth Reed - The Allman Brothers Band
(new song)

Dr. Octopus:

Lord Only Knows – Beck
(new song)

Val Rannous:

Higher Ground - Stevie Wonder
(new song)

Chaz McNulty:

Nine in the Afternoon - Panic! at the Disco
(new artist)

Don Quixote:

What a Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong
(new song)

Sullie:

Small World - Huey Lewis and The News
(new artist)

jwb:

Hurricane – Bob Dylan

DrIanMalcolm:

The Boxer, Simon & Garfunkel

Hawks64:

Better Together - Jack Johnson, Paula Fuga
(both new artists)

MAC_32:

Proud Mary - Tina Turner
(new song)

falguy:

Time in a Bottle - Jim Croce
(new song)

simsarge:

Tumbling Dice - Linda Ronstadt
(new artist)

worrierking:

Willin' - Little Feat
(new song)

Eephus:

Right Place Wrong Time - Dr. John
(new artist)

Hov34:

I Heard It Through The Grapevine - Creedence Clearwater Revival
(new song)

ditkaburgers:

How Will I Know - Whitney Houston
(new song)

AAABatteries:

Johnny B Goode - Chuck Berry
(duplicate – third vote)

landryshat:

Summer Breeze - Isley Brothers
(new artist)

Zegras11:

Hazy Shade of WInter - The Bangles
(new song)

Ilov80s:

I Wanna Dance With Somebody - Whitney Houston

Oliver Humanzee:

Can't Truss It - Public Enemy
(new song)

The Dreaded Marco:

Waltz #2 - Elliot Smith

Doug B:

Step by Step - Eddie Rabbitt
(new artist)

KarmaPolice:

It Was a Good Day - Ice Cube
Musical inspiration #9

So, Cat's in the Cradle:

I was happy to see it early in the draft from someone else - don't remember who and way way too lazy to go look - because this is one of those 'punch me in the heart songs.' It was an ok song to me until I hit about 25 or so and we had our first child, my son. My world. Like I'm sure so many parents have in the past when I saw him for the first time I just knew that I would try everything I can to give him everything I never had and more. I didn't miss anything like the dad in the song - I was there for everything. Night time routine was mine from the day he was born. He was my sidekick until he became a teenager and didn't need dad with him so much. I miss my little buddy sometime but I'm proud of who he has become and is becomming. And I'll be his sidekick now.

But when I sit down and play this song on the piano I will - every time - start crying before I finish it. He didn't exactly become just like me, but he did enough. And at this season of his life I am the dad looking to spend time with him and he just wants the metaphorical car keys. God that line punches hard.

Shortly before we made these lists I was actually playing it at the piano and I couldn't finish playing/singing because of a conversation I had with him earlier that day (nothing bad, just life) and it hit me harder than usual, which hard enough. Wife looked at me and just said, "yeah."

Yeah. There is coming a day - very soon, way too soon, when I'll be retired and he won't be around nearly as much as I want him to be. I continue to pray that he doesn't grow up just like me. That he continues to be better. And can at one point look back and remember fondly his childhood and everything I tried to do for him and with him. Yes I'm tearing up writing this. Yes I'm that sap these days. I always will be for my little boy blue.
Yeah, I have to turn the channel when this song comes on. Too many gut punches. I just remember in my HS graduation ceremony they played it, I looked back at my parents and my dad was all teared up. Now that I have my own children (all grown), I now know why.

Last edited:
So, Cat's in the Cradle:

Yeah, I have to turn the channel when this song comes on. Too many gut punches. I just remember in my HS graduation ceremony they played it, I looked back at my paretns and my dad was all teared up. Now that I have my own children (all grown), I now know why.
Right?

I mean, all they have to do is make one of those soldier coming home to suprise his little kids videos with this as the music in the background and I would need to be pumped with fluids for a week. Damn kids.

Uruk-Hai:

Imagine you're 11 years old and are attracted to female human beings.

You've had crushes in the past - maybe blonde goddess Susan that you were in 3rd Grade with, maybe a teacher, maybe a parent's friend (who didn't have a daughter names Stacey), maybe Laurie Partridge - but things are changing and the way you feel about female human beings are, too. You are starting to notice how Jan Brady (instead of Marcia, last year's crush) is starting to grow.

Imagine, too, that you are 11 years old and kind of awkward socially, and sort of a nerd. You love music and books, but don't know how to express those loves in a way that doesn't get you laughed at. So you stop talking about them to most people and turtle up. You read your books at night and dial your $.99 AM transistor into whatever channel you can find.

Most nights, it's an ozone-skipping channel out of Cleveland. One night, you hear these female voices sighing to a lilting melody coming through the static. And then you hear the lead vocal and are lost in the best kind of way. She's singing to you - you know it. You don't know her name, what she looks like, or anything else and it doesn't matter.

Almost 50 years later, you know a little more - but not too much - because that would destroy the magic you felt those first 2 million times you listened to this record.

But you know a little more about why you switched from Marcia to Jan.

You never forget your first.

I continue to pray that he doesn't grow up just like me
Doesnt sound like growing up like you is a bad thing? You were there for him . You made time for him and he'll do the same for his kids, and you, when you need him because you were there for him. At least that's how I would hope it goes.

This song also resonates with me and I'm not going to give anything away but we're gonna see it again in a couple days.

So, Cat's in the Cradle:

I had this on my list earlier in the draft. Another song that gives me this kind of 'punch in the heart' is 'Father and Son' by Cat Stevens.

It provides a glimpse of who might have the most similar tastes to me so far.
Sigh. I guess we're never going to a concert together.
Never say never. Though I haven't been to a proper concert since before the pandemic.
I meant that we seem to have no overlap in music tastes at all.
I don’t think that’s necessarily true. I think it’s just that my tastes have less in common with yours than they do with some others’ in this thing.

This one goes to 11! *reads more closely* Sorry, I meant that this one goes out to the 11s! Next up, top tens!

#11s
Recognized by title alone: 19
Sounded familiar: 4
Didn't know: 12

Selected Favorites:
Blister in the Sun (Dr. Octopus)
Edge of Seventeen (Chaz McNulty)
25 or 6 to 4 (MAC_32)
Superstar (Zegras11)

Songs I didn't know that I ended up liking:
Midnight Show (rockaction)
One Big Holiday (Pip’s Invitation)
Touch the Sky (Hawks64)
Alex Chilton (worrierking)

So, Cat's in the Cradle:

I had this on my list earlier in the draft. Another song that gives me this kind of 'punch in the heart' is 'Father and Son' by Cat Stevens.

Isn't Cat Stevens British?

ETA: Nevermind, I thought you were saying Cat Stevens was on your list but you were referring to the Chapin song.

Charity Contest Info and Standings, #9

Everyone's selections:

Val Rannous - Song: Like a Rolling Stone, Bob Dylan. Artist: Bruce Springsteen.
Mrs. Rannous - Song: Rock and Roll High School, The Ramones. Artist: Bob Dylan.
Uruk-Hai - Song: Purple Rain, Prince. Artist: Stevie Wonder.
Pip's Invitation - Song: Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana. Artist: Stevie Wonder.
Neal Cassady - Song: Let's Stay Together, Al Green. Artist: Stevie Wonder.
Hov34 - Song: Superstition, Stevie Wonder. Artist: Stevie Wonder. (Tiebreak: Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana)
Chaz McNulty - Song: Fast Car, Tracy Chapman. Artist: Bruce Springsteen.
Dr. Octopus - Song: Hallelujah, Jeff Buckley. Artist: Stevie Wonder.
Falguy - Song: Born to Run, Bruce Springsteen. Artist: Tom Petty.
DrianMalcom - Song: Superstition, Stevie Wonder. Artist: Stevie Wonder. (Tiebreak: American Girl, Tom Petty)
Ilove80s - Song: Good Vibrations, The Beach Boys. Artist: Tom Petty.
jwb - Song: Hotel California, The Eagles. Artist: The Allman Brothers Band.
The Dreaded Marco - Song: What a Wonderful World, Louis Armstrong. Artist: Prince.
New Binky the Doormat - Song: Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana. Artist: Tom Petty.
Just Win Baby - Song: What's Going On, Marvin Gaye. Artist: Tom Petty.
Don Quixote - Song: Superstition, Stevie Wonder. Artist: Stevie Wonder. (Tiebreak: God Only Knows, The Beach Boys)
AAABatteries - Song: Respect - Aretha Franklin. Artist: Stevie Wonder.

Songs that scored 23 points for today's selections:

What's Going On, Marvin Gaye
What a Wonderful World, Louis Armstrong

Artists that scored 23 points for today's selections:

Tom Petty (x2)
The Allman Brothers Band
Stevie Wonder
Bob Dylan

Total Scores as of Today:

New Binky the Doormat 286
Just Win Baby 273
Falguy 255
Ilov80s 252
Pip's Invitation 208
AAABatteries 191
Neal Cassady 187
Don Quixote 171
DrianMalcom 171
Hov34 171
Dr. Octopus 160
Uruk-Hai 158
The Dreaded Marco 144
Mrs. Rannous 115
Chaz McNulty 110
Val Rannous 110
jwb 104

Edge of Seventeen (Chaz McNulty)
I was yesterday years old when I learned the lyric isn't "Just like a one winged dove..." and that it is "Just like a white winged dove..."
On a more interesting note I did also learn that "edge of seventeen" came about because Tom Petty"s wife was telling Stevie she met Tom at "the age of seventeen" and with her drawl so heavy Stevie though she was saying "at the edge of seventeen".

My top 6 from round 9 excluding my own choice:
Had I included a Beach Boys song, this would have been my choice. :thumbup:

I listen to Rock 'n' Roll Animal fairly often. Intro/Sweet Jane is one of my favorite guitar songs of all time. I would have it on my list but kind of feel live songs are "cheating" a bit, but that's just an oddity of mine. I separate "performance" from "song". In many cases the live version is the definitive version (i.e. Frampton Comes Alive songs) or the only version (i.e. Nirvana's Bowie cover) though.

Last edited:
So I’ve heard of Lucero and from all I’ve read about them they should be in my wheelhouse but I just never got around to them. Liked “Nights Like These” a lot.

I’ve listen to one Silver Jews album and liked it but never really went back to it or him. Purple Mountains song “All My Happiness…” - holy ****. It blew me away. It’s such a happy song in feel and as instrumented, with the saddest lyrics ever. Will surely listen to it and the catalog more.

I listen to Rock 'n' Roll Animal fairly often. Intro/Sweet Jane is one of my favorite guitar songs of all time. I would have it on my list but kind of feel live songs are "cheating" a bit, but that's just an oddity of mine. I separate "performance" from "song". In many cases the live version is the definitive version (i.e. Frampton Comes Alive songs) or the only version (i.e. Nirvana's Bowie cover) though.

Call me a cheater, keep me out of the HoF but I loved "intro/Sweet Jane" before I'd ever heard of the Velvet Underground. I'm pretty sure I heard Mott the Hoople's cover before the VU version as well.

I can't connect to my Sonos Roam! How will I ever listen to the playlist? Sure, we have about 500 other speakers around this house, but I want my Roam!

In the meantime, my known-to-me shout-outs today are to the Byrds and Dr. John songs, both of which are fantastic and apparently underrated.

OH's Public Enemy selection today is, unsurprisingly, his last well-known band until we get to his #3. Let's just say his #5-8 picks are not artists on anyone else's list nor do I suspect they were on anyone's short, medium, or long lists. Maybe his #8 would have been on the radar of @neal cassady, but I doubt on any others.

I can't connect to my Sonos Roam! How will I ever listen to the playlist? Sure, we have about 500 other speakers around this house, but I want my Roam!

In the meantime, my known-to-me shout-outs today are to the Byrds and Dr. John songs, both of which are fantastic and apparently underrated.
Had something like that happen to me a while back. If I recall there was a software update waiting to be installed. Check in your app and see if it's telling you about an update. May have also just needed a power off/power on cycle.

Sad that I don't recall exactly was only a couple weeks ago. 😕

OH's Public Enemy selection today is, unsurprisingly, his last well-known band until we get to his #3. Let's just say his #5-8 picks are not artists on anyone else's list nor do I suspect they were on anyone's short, medium, or long lists. Maybe his #8 would have been on the radar of @neal cassady, but I doubt on any others.
Oooh..a guessing game! Ornette Coleman? Sun Ra? Charles Mingus?

Picking Sun Ra would be totally OH. Although I thought he was from space. :laugh:

Call me a cheater, keep me out of the HoF but I loved "intro/Sweet Jane" before I'd ever heard of the Velvet Underground. I'm pretty sure I heard Mott the Hoople's cover before the VU version as well.
It’s definitely my quirk. It’s my preferred version as well. The album is the one I listen to the most out of all the Reed incarnations.

None of the above, but I'm surprised he didn't have Mingus on his list. He went through a period of listening to him non-stop.

I like Sun Ra better than OH does. I saw the Arkestra play here; was so freaking cool.

Users who are viewing this thread