What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favre will play this year! (1 Viewer)

(Rotoworld) Judd Zulgad of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune reports the Vikings have offered Brett Favre a raise that would increase his 2010 base salary from $13 million to $16 million.Analysis: Incentives could reportedly push the salary even higher. Zulgad has been on top of the Favre story from the get-go, and went on NFL Network Tuesday to strongly caution that Favre's mind isn't necessarily made up. It's unclear if money is one of the main sticking points in Favre's decision, but there have been plenty of rumors it is. Favre played last season for $12 million.
Embarrassing.

I like Brett Farve and generally support him on the boards but I will say this: Why would he supposedly text some guys on the team that "this is it" to let them know he's not coming back this year to play. Then not have a press conference immediately or at least make a statement officially to let everyone know.

Seems a little wishy washy to tell some people and then wait days to say anything else. I mean, he's been around awhile, he has to know what that kind of information would do to the media and the team he plays for. At this point, he owes it to the Vikings to make whatever his intentions are official. If he's going to retire, then retire and be done with it. If you're going to play but he may not be ready early on in the season due to healing not being quick enough, then do that

I'd hate to think he's doing this for money. I know he's being offered 3 million more than last year with some incentives added in with a potential to make 20 million for 1 season this next year. At the very least, this little stunt may have made him an extra 7 million dollars, a few little text messages. I don't think it's for the money, but I also don't think he's going to decide to play and then say "na, I won't take the extra money, it wasn't about that."

I don't know, tough call. I think if he was going to retire, he would have said it already. I actually think the longer this goes, the better it is for the Vikings that he'll play. If something comes out today, my guess will be that he is retiring, not the other way around.

I like Brett Farve and generally support him on the boards but I will say this: Why would he supposedly text some guys on the team that "this is it" to let them know he's not coming back this year to play. Then not have a press conference immediately or at least make a statement officially to let everyone know.
Haven't you been paying attention the last four years? This is what he does. Expect a talk show appearance soon where he can say things like "Something will happen". It keeps his name in the press, and it makes the legions beg him for a return. He likes that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the Hall of Fame week was supposed to be about the inductees, I guess it'll be about Favre again. Way to steal their thunder.

Haven't you been paying attention the last four years? This is what he does. Expect a talk show appearance soon where he can say things like "Something will happen". It keeps his name in the press, and it makes the legions beg him for a return. He likes that.
Maybe some of that but last year he did tone it down a bit.

I think the ankle did hurt he told someone he isn't playing but then the Queens put on the full court press.

The Vikings know without him they are an 8-8 team and look stupid for not going after McNabb.

Ok, this made things slightly interesting yesterday but I'm done with it. I'm not really one for the "tarnish the legacy" talk but he is just crapping all over his. Truly pathetic.

-- Vikings Offer Favre More Money --Tue Aug 3, 2010 The Star Tribune reports the Vikings have increased their offer for a 2010 base salary from $13 million to $16 million for QB Brett Favre. There also could be incentives in the deal for Favre that would take the deal above $16 million
Man... I wish I could threaten to retire, and have my employer throw $3+ million at me.

Apparently Favre threw with the high schoolers again for 10-15 minutes early this morning.

No idea if this means anything at this point. This story will just keep changing by the hour.

Correct me if I'm wrong, from my perspective, the only entity he owes an answer to would be the Vikings organization. And to this point they seem to be patient and understanding.I really don't see why you think he owes answers to anyone else..The media will find any little thing to build a story on and Farve seems to have done pretty well at this point without having to answer to every speculation. With as Farve hungry as the media is, I don't blame him for letting them carry on while he conveniently stays out of the way. His agent seems to be handling things just fine...
Sure, that is who he owes it to.(edit...the Vikings that is)So, you think they all liked answering questions about the texts yesterday and dealing with it?His agent was not heard from yesterday either...is this the same agent who was calling him a drama queen a few weeks ago?I never just claimed he owed anything to anyone.Again, just saying he could put an end to the talk yesterday very easily and he chose not to.But you can keep making a bigger deal out of my comments if you wish.

I like Brett Farve and generally support him on the boards but I will say this: Why would he supposedly text some guys on the team that "this is it" to let them know he's not coming back this year to play. Then not have a press conference immediately or at least make a statement officially to let everyone know.Seems a little wishy washy to tell some people and then wait days to say anything else. I mean, he's been around awhile, he has to know what that kind of information would do to the media and the team he plays for. At this point, he owes it to the Vikings to make whatever his intentions are official. If he's going to retire, then retire and be done with it. If you're going to play but he may not be ready early on in the season due to healing not being quick enough, then do thatI'd hate to think he's doing this for money. I know he's being offered 3 million more than last year with some incentives added in with a potential to make 20 million for 1 season this next year. At the very least, this little stunt may have made him an extra 7 million dollars, a few little text messages. I don't think it's for the money, but I also don't think he's going to decide to play and then say "na, I won't take the extra money, it wasn't about that." I don't know, tough call. I think if he was going to retire, he would have said it already. I actually think the longer this goes, the better it is for the Vikings that he'll play. If something comes out today, my guess will be that he is retiring, not the other way around.
Well said.

The Vikings know without him they are an 8-8 team and look stupid for not going after McNabb.
:towelwave: Can we stop this already? The Vikings were a 10-6 team without Favre in 2008 and this is a better team (Better OL, addition of Harvin, Rice now an all pro, etc.) than it was in 2008. No doubt the Vikings are a better team with the gunslinger but let's not pretend they'll be lost without him.Also, if 4 does retire the Vikings don't look stupid for not going after McNabb IMO. They bet on Favre coming back and lost simple as that. They knew what they were doing and knew the risks. Time to live with it and still take the NFC North. :-)

I like Brett Farve and generally support him on the boards but I will say this: Why would he supposedly text some guys on the team that "this is it" to let them know he's not coming back this year to play. Then not have a press conference immediately or at least make a statement officially to let everyone know.Seems a little wishy washy to tell some people and then wait days to say anything else. I mean, he's been around awhile, he has to know what that kind of information would do to the media and the team he plays for. At this point, he owes it to the Vikings to make whatever his intentions are official. If he's going to retire, then retire and be done with it. If you're going to play but he may not be ready early on in the season due to healing not being quick enough, then do thatI'd hate to think he's doing this for money. I know he's being offered 3 million more than last year with some incentives added in with a potential to make 20 million for 1 season this next year. At the very least, this little stunt may have made him an extra 7 million dollars, a few little text messages. I don't think it's for the money, but I also don't think he's going to decide to play and then say "na, I won't take the extra money, it wasn't about that." I don't know, tough call. I think if he was going to retire, he would have said it already. I actually think the longer this goes, the better it is for the Vikings that he'll play. If something comes out today, my guess will be that he is retiring, not the other way around.
How do you know that a text of "this is it" was to "let them know he's not coming back this year to play"? First off, "this is it" is completely vague and could mean a lot of things. Second, who knows if he sent that text in response to a VM or text from a teammate? There is no context provided.

:rolleyes: Can we stop this already? The Vikings were a 10-6 team without Favre in 2008 and this is a better team (Better OL, addition of Harvin, Rice now an all pro, etc.) than it was in 2008. No doubt the Vikings are a better team with the gunslinger but let's not pretend they'll be lost without him.Also, if 4 does retire the Vikings don't look stupid for not going after McNabb IMO. They bet on Favre coming back and lost simple as that. They knew what they were doing and knew the risks. Time to live with it and still take the NFC North. :-)
:grad: I can't really add anything. They knew what the risks/rewards were.

It's quite possible that he texted it saying he was done (because his ankle hasn't responded as he'd hoped) but really wasn't serious which wouldn't be detected via text. I find it interesting that those who have had contact with him aren't revealing much of the conversation.

:grad: Can we stop this already? The Vikings were a 10-6 team without Favre in 2008 and this is a better team (Better OL, addition of Harvin, Rice now an all pro, etc.) than it was in 2008. No doubt the Vikings are a better team with the gunslinger but let's not pretend they'll be lost without him.Also, if 4 does retire the Vikings don't look stupid for not going after McNabb IMO. They bet on Favre coming back and lost simple as that. They knew what they were doing and knew the risks. Time to live with it and still take the NFC North. :-)
The Oline is not better than it was in 2008.Birk is gone, McKinnie has regressed, and Hutch is 2 years older.

:grad: Can we stop this already? The Vikings were a 10-6 team without Favre in 2008 and this is a better team (Better OL, addition of Harvin, Rice now an all pro, etc.) than it was in 2008. No doubt the Vikings are a better team with the gunslinger but let's not pretend they'll be lost without him.Also, if 4 does retire the Vikings don't look stupid for not going after McNabb IMO. They bet on Favre coming back and lost simple as that. They knew what they were doing and knew the risks. Time to live with it and still take the NFC North. :-)
The Oline is not better than it was in 2008.Birk is gone, McKinnie has regressed, and Hutch is 2 years older.
Yeah, I think the only improvement is Loadholt. The run blocking was poor last year hence the 0 gain and negative runs topping the league, and the pass blocking is part of why Favre's ankle is messed up. But the team is not an 8-8 team even with Jackson.

:goodposting: Can we stop this already? The Vikings were a 10-6 team without Favre in 2008 and this is a better team (Better OL, addition of Harvin, Rice now an all pro, etc.) than it was in 2008. No doubt the Vikings are a better team with the gunslinger but let's not pretend they'll be lost without him.Also, if 4 does retire the Vikings don't look stupid for not going after McNabb IMO. They bet on Favre coming back and lost simple as that. They knew what they were doing and knew the risks. Time to live with it and still take the NFC North. :-)
Yeah, I think the only improvement is Loadholt. The run blocking was poor last year hence the 0 gain and negative runs topping the league, and the pass blocking is part of why Favre's ankle is messed up. But the team is not an 8-8 team even with Jackson.
Agree...I think Loadholt will be a hell of a player too...great name for a lineman too.But they really missed Birk in the middle.

He talked to Longwell on the phone for 15 minutes yesterday morning and nothing about retirement was even mentioned, so I don't think there is anything to the report.

So, has Favre said anything with any kind of legitimacy yet?

If not, than all of the media reporters and those jumping on Favre for this hoop-la can go suck it. Much ado about nothing but speculation that Favre did not even start. I laugh at all of you blaming Favre for this.

A friend just sent this to me.

I will be the FIRST to say that I liken Deadspin to the National Enquirer, but sometimes they get a thing right or two even now and then. This is about another "text" that I find is very interesting it is coming out a day after he says "he is done"...

Mods: If this is not kosher for the boards, feel free to delete.

From what I was sent:

Sterger claims that, in one of the photos Favre allegedly sent her (being a Jets sideline reporter), he's masturbating — while wearing a pair of Crocs. In another photo, Favre is holding his penis while wearing the wristwatch he wore during his first teary-eyed retirement press conference.

http://deadspin.com/5603701/brett-favre-on...ot-a-love-story

As per Jim Souhan of the Star-Tribune:

Brett Favre said Wednesday he has not decided whether to retire as the Vikings's quarterback.

He said the money he stands to make this season -- perhaps as much as $20 million -- won't influence his decision, but that the health of his surgically-repaired ankle will.

Favre said he had not texted teammates to tell them he was retiring, although tight end Visanthe Shiancoe said he had done just that.

"That's Shank," Favre chuckled. "That's why I love him."

He threw briefly during football practice at Oak Grove High School.

He did not run, but spent most of the practice tutoring quarterbacks and wide receivers.

More importantly than the Favre-Sterger penis photos, Favre told Trib reporter that he didn't make a decision and that if his ankle is healthy he will play.

More importantly than the Favre-Sterger penis photos, Favre told Trib reporter that he didn't make a decision and that if his ankle is healthy he will play.
Those pics REALLY need to surface. If he sent them, he deserves for them to come out.....no pun intended.

I think I would promise the manufacturers of Snickers bars that I would buy a crate of their product if they would promise that they would make another "Diva" commercial involving Brett Favre. Who's with me?! :sarcasm: Poke fun at himself, like in those Sears commercials last season.

Some actual "diva" in front of reporters or something, talking about how "she's" gonna retire, then Brad Childress or a few teammates telling "her" she's such a diva when she gets hungry, giving "her" a Snickers, then having it be Favre. It would be about the most perfect commercial ever made! LOL.

So, has Favre said anything with any kind of legitimacy yet?If not, than all of the media reporters and those jumping on Favre for this hoop-la can go suck it. Much ado about nothing but speculation that Favre did not even start. I laugh at all of you blaming Favre for this.
While I agree this is more media driven than anything...if he sent the texts that got this all started...and like you said has not said anything with any kind of legitimacy yet...I do believe he is to be blamed for not ending it.

As per Jim Souhan of the Star-Tribune:Brett Favre said Wednesday he has not decided whether to retire as the Vikings's quarterback.He said the money he stands to make this season -- perhaps as much as $20 million -- won't influence his decision, but that the health of his surgically-repaired ankle will.Favre said he had not texted teammates to tell them he was retiring, although tight end Visanthe Shiancoe said he had done just that."That's Shank," Favre chuckled. "That's why I love him."He threw briefly during football practice at Oak Grove High School.He did not run, but spent most of the practice tutoring quarterbacks and wide receivers.
Well, that is that.But why did it take a day to get actual direct quotes like that? Thats my only beef with him on this one.

So, has Favre said anything with any kind of legitimacy yet?If not, than all of the media reporters and those jumping on Favre for this hoop-la can go suck it. Much ado about nothing but speculation that Favre did not even start. I laugh at all of you blaming Favre for this.
While I agree this is more media driven than anything...if he sent the texts that got this all started...and like you said has not said anything with any kind of legitimacy yet...I do believe he is to be blamed for not ending it.
Yeah, okay. :lmao: :lmao:

I think I would promise the manufacturers of Snickers bars that I would buy a crate of their product if they would promise that they would make another "Diva" commercial involving Brett Favre. Who's with me?! :lmao: Poke fun at himself, like in those Sears commercials last season.Some actual "diva" in front of reporters or something, talking about how "she's" gonna retire, then Brad Childress or a few teammates telling "her" she's such a diva when she gets hungry, giving "her" a Snickers, then having it be Favre. It would be about the most perfect commercial ever made! LOL.
Or the old "id have double bagged it" commercials...master card I think?

Mario Kart said:
And we laugh at you for not. There is obviously something to this or the Vikes front office would not have offered Favre a 3 million dollar raise yesterday. Brett just got himself a big raise by sending a text or two.

BeTheMatch said:
As per Jim Souhan of the Star-Tribune:Brett Favre said Wednesday he has not decided whether to retire as the Vikings's quarterback.He said the money he stands to make this season -- perhaps as much as $20 million -- won't influence his decision, but that the health of his surgically-repaired ankle will.Favre said he had not texted teammates to tell them he was retiring, although tight end Visanthe Shiancoe said he had done just that."That's Shank," Favre chuckled. "That's why I love him."He threw briefly during football practice at Oak Grove High School.He did not run, but spent most of the practice tutoring quarterbacks and wide receivers.
So what's the deal, tripod made the whole texting thing up?

sho nuff said:
shamrock84 said:
cr8f said:
:goodposting: Can we stop this already? The Vikings were a 10-6 team without Favre in 2008 and this is a better team (Better OL, addition of Harvin, Rice now an all pro, etc.) than it was in 2008. No doubt the Vikings are a better team with the gunslinger but let's not pretend they'll be lost without him.Also, if 4 does retire the Vikings don't look stupid for not going after McNabb IMO. They bet on Favre coming back and lost simple as that. They knew what they were doing and knew the risks. Time to live with it and still take the NFC North. :-)
Add in the fact that the Vikings had an easier schedule in 2009 than 2008. Vikings were 4-0 vs the NFC West in 2009. Vikings 2010 schedule is tough again. They won't win as many game this year regardless who is the QB.

Sweet Love said:
From what I was sent:

Sterger claims that, in one of the photos Favre allegedly sent her (being a Jets sideline reporter), he's masturbating — while wearing a pair of Crocs. In another photo, Favre is holding his penis while wearing the wristwatch he wore during his first teary-eyed retirement press conference.

I wonder what cryptic text messages accompanied the photos?"This is it."

"Coming back."

"Near the end."

fatness said:
Leeroy Jenkins said:
So these reports are really solely based on a text message that said "this is it" and nothing else?
No.Shiancoe: Favre told teammates about retiring
Curious that article mentions the Vikes are offering more money to play this year. Why offer more if he hasn't decided yet?"According to NFL sources, the Vikings' pitch to bring back Favre now includes an offer that could pay him $20 million -- $16 million guaranteed, plus incentives potentially worth another $4 million. Favre was scheduled to make $13 million this season."

Sweet Love said:
From what I was sent:

I wonder what cryptic text messages accompanied the photos?"This is it."

"Coming back."

"Near the end."
:popcorn:

I'm sure this is posted somewhere here, but to be honest I can't stand reading much more of this, so I won't.

Favre: I'll play for Vikes if ankle allows it

Brett Favre has told ESPN's Ed Werder that he will play for the Vikings this season as long as he's healthy.

To be clear, no final decision has been made yet. Favre is still testing his surgically repaired ankle. His presence on a Mississippi high school field Wednesday morning is obviously a positive sign. Favre denies sending a retirement text message to any Vikings personnel, and we still expect Favre to re-join his teammates before the start of the season. Aug. 4 - 11:54 am et

Source: ESPN.com

With the relationship that he has with the players on the team, I wouldn't doubt that they made it up just to have a little fun with him.

Franknbeans said:
Iwannabeacowboybaby! said:
It's quite possible that he texted it saying he was done (because his ankle hasn't responded as he'd hoped) but really wasn't serious which wouldn't be detected via text. I find it interesting that those who have had contact with him aren't revealing much of the conversation.
Bingo. All of you that have never had a painful sports injury and then surgery with rehab should walk in those shoes before you get critical. You go through thoughts sometimes like: 'never agian'

Why do people still care? He's not winning a SB with the Vikings.

Hell, it's like clockwork. For the past decade plus he eventually falls apart in a big game and forces bad passes that end seasons. I basically called it before last season when saying the Vikings would obviously be better but in a big playoff game when he's broken down and his mind is flustered against a good defense he'd fall apart, and that's exactly what happened. And that's exactly what will happen this season if he plays.

Why do people still care? He's not winning a SB with the Vikings. Hell, it's like clockwork. For the past decade plus he eventually falls apart in a big game and forces bad passes that end seasons. I basically called it before last season when saying the Vikings would obviously be better but in a big playoff game when he's broken down and his mind is flustered against a good defense he'd fall apart, and that's exactly what happened. And that's exactly what will happen this season if he plays.
LOL, do you remember the game last year against New Orleans? Favre was the least of the issues that the team had in that game. To put the majority of blame on Favre in that game is laughable. The team folded, all of them, some more than others, Favre not so much as people would like to point out though.

Why do people still care? He's not winning a SB with the Vikings. Hell, it's like clockwork. For the past decade plus he eventually falls apart in a big game and forces bad passes that end seasons. I basically called it before last season when saying the Vikings would obviously be better but in a big playoff game when he's broken down and his mind is flustered against a good defense he'd fall apart, and that's exactly what happened. And that's exactly what will happen this season if he plays.
LOL, do you remember the game last year against New Orleans? Favre was the least of the issues that the team had in that game. To put the majority of blame on Favre in that game is laughable. The team folded, all of them, some more than others, Favre not so much as people would like to point out though.
:jawdrop: AP's fumbling was making him a liability in that game. Not to mention Harvin and Berrian coughing the ball up. Favre tried to make a play at the end and failed but others failed long before that play.

we CARE because it is FANTASY football. If you have Favre in a dynasty like me, you care a lot. I care the other way if he doesn't play because it gives the Falcons a better shot at the NFC crown....

Sweet Love said:
A friend just sent this to me.

I will be the FIRST to say that I liken Deadspin to the National Enquirer, but sometimes they get a thing right or two even now and then. This is about another "text" that I find is very interesting it is coming out a day after he says "he is done"...

Mods: If this is not kosher for the boards, feel free to delete.

From what I was sent:

So this happened a couple of years ago and now right in the midst of the recent Favre media frenzy this hoe reveals this? Hmmmm.... This chick is famous for what? Flashing her big boobs at a Florida State game? And now she needs to get her name in the media again so she can a photo shoot with Playboy no doubt. Incidentally, where are the photos of Favre showing his schlong? And if those watch pictures are supposed to be a picture from one of her photos and one from Favre's retirement announcement, then someone might want to explain why the watch is on a left arm in the one and a right arm in the other. Men don't swing like that--we wear our watch on one arm.

Users who are viewing this thread