What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBI accused of leaking private data to NYT after Project Veritas raid (1 Viewer)

STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
A Civil War would require both sides to take up arms against the other. 

There ain’t gonna be a Civil War.
Well, we have to stand up to this radical zealotry. 

Back to the topic -

ACLU weighs in. Brian Hauss must have had an aneurysm making this statement. 

“Project Veritas has engaged in disgraceful deceptions, and reasonable observers might not consider their activities to be journalism at all. Nevertheless, the precedent set in this case could have serious consequences for press freedom. Unless the government had good reason to believe that Project Veritas employees were directly involved in the criminal theft of the diary, it should not have subjected them to invasive searches and seizures. We urge the court to appoint a special master to ensure that law enforcement officers review only those materials that were lawfully seized and that are directly relevant to a legitimate criminal investigation.”

Link

Back to the topic -

ACLU weighs in. Brian Hauss must have had an aneurysm making this statement. 

“Project Veritas has engaged in disgraceful deceptions, and reasonable observers might not consider their activities to be journalism at all. Nevertheless, the precedent set in this case could have serious consequences for press freedom. Unless the government had good reason to believe that Project Veritas employees were directly involved in the criminal theft of the diary, it should not have subjected them to invasive searches and seizures. We urge the court to appoint a special master to ensure that law enforcement officers review only those materials that were lawfully seized and that are directly relevant to a legitimate criminal investigation.”

Link

It is remarkable that when people stand up to power, they are denigrated.

My favorite Project Veritas story:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/a-woman-approached-the-post-with-dramatic--and-false--tale-about-roy-moore-sje-appears-to-be-part-of-undercover-sting-operation/2017/11/27/0c2e335a-cfb6-11e7-9d3a-bcbe2af58c3a_story.html

Project Veritas hires out of work realtor to pose as a woman Roy Moore impregnated, and convinced to get an abortion. She goes to WaPo, and the sting seems to be that she would ask them repeatedly if this story would ruin his political career. Hopefully, the radical zealots at the WaPo would reveal their maliciously biased reporting by agreeing that the story would ruin Moore.

The sting went nowhere because the Confederacy of Dunces at Project Veritas are the Inspector Clouseau of the gotcha journalism world. 

After being embarrassed nationally by the Post, the unhinged radical zealots of the right fringe declared that, in fact, the Post expending time on exposing Project Veritas validates their existence.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/11/project-veritas-washington-post-video-reaction/amp

I haven't been privy to any of the evidence,  but finding reasonable cause to believe that PV may have had something to do with the theft of the diary of an individual with a tangential political association doesn't seem like a huge stretch given that organization's MO.

Herb said:
I haven't been privy to any of the evidence,  but finding reasonable cause to believe that PV may have had something to do with the theft of the diary of an individual with a tangential political association doesn't seem like a huge stretch given that organization's MO.
I think these are fair questions - 

A. Please provide any case where federal prosecutors charged conspiracy to transport stolen goods and/or reciept of stolen goods with respect to a journalist recieving information from a source and describe how that comports with the First Amendment protections articulated in Bartnicki v. Vopper.

B. Please provide all cases where federal prosecutors charged NSPA where a personal effect such as a diary had been stolen in an isolated incident.

C. Please provide the search warrants for any cellphones collected from O’Keefe and his associates as well as the supporting applications

D. Please provide all federal prosecutions where prosecutors charged transportation of stolen property where a good had been abandoned by the complaining owner

E. The NSPA has a jurisdictional requirement that the property stolen have a value of $5,000 or more. Please provide the process in which you assessed Ashley Biden’s diary as having a fair market value of $5,000 or more.

A. Please provide any case where federal prosecutors charged conspiracy to transport stolen goods and/or reciept of stolen goods with respect to a journalist recieving information from a source and describe how that comports with the First Amendment protections articulated in Bartnicki v. Vopper.

B. Please provide all cases where federal prosecutors charged NSPA where a personal effect such as a diary had been stolen in an isolated incident.

C. Please provide the search warrants for any cellphones collected from O’Keefe and his associates as well as the supporting applications

D. Please provide all federal prosecutions where prosecutors charged transportation of stolen property where a good had been abandoned by the complaining owner

E. The NSPA has a jurisdictional requirement that the property stolen have a value of $5,000 or more. Please provide the process in which you assessed Ashley Biden’s diary as having a fair market value of $5,000 or more.
With regard to E…if the Biden Corp is getting 6 figures for Hunter’s painting I am sure their Sales Department can get 7 figures for the diary…they seem to be very good at personal revenue generation.

:lmao:

Easy Matlock

:lmao:

Easy Matlock
Yet if Trumps DOJ raided Rachel Maddows home or the NYT over his leaked tax returns, you would have been the first one in here crying about abuse of power and impeachment 🤷
Umm, no. I have only watched clips of Maddow when someone posts them here or on twitter. I couldn't even begin to guess when her show airs.

If the FBI overstepped, that is bad. I just find it unlikely that this is another grand conspiracy.

Umm, no. I have only watched clips of Maddow when someone posts them here or on twitter. I couldn't even begin to guess when her show airs.

If the FBI overstepped, that is bad. I just find it unlikely that this is another grand conspiracy.
O’Keefe: “Project Veritas gave the diary to law enforcement to ensure it could be returned to its rightful owner. We never published it.”

So why the raids?  Since when does the FBI conducted raids over missing diaries?

O’Keefe: “Project Veritas gave the diary to law enforcement to ensure it could be returned to its rightful owner. We never published it.”

So why the raids?  Since when does the FBI conducted raids over missing diaries?
:shrug:

Maybe we just wait and see rather than conclude that the FBI is some hyper partisan hacks?

Herb said:
The funny thing about this is that Project Veritas bought the diary from a source but ultimately didn't run a story on it because it could not be verified. So they stores it away thinking it was just some nonsense. Then FBI comes knocking and all but verifies the authenticity of it. If they say it was stolen, then they mean it is real. 

Philo Beddoe said:

The funny thing about this is that Project Veritas bought the diary from a source but ultimately didn't run a story on it because it could not be verified. So they stores it away thinking it was just some nonsense. Then FBI comes knocking and all but verifies the authenticity of it. If they say it was stolen, then they mean it is real. 
So which is it? PV contacted law enforcement to return it? Or kept it and the FBI found it?

Regardless, it would seem PV was in possession of stolen property. Which they likely paid to acquire. Even if they didn't, a crime looks to have been committed by PV.

From O'keefe last night, he couldn't verify any of the claims or information, so they didn't publish anything and turned it over to the FBI. 

His lawyer said they would have turned over anything asked for, but there was never a request for information or to turn in documents. 

It's hard to consider it stolen property if it was never authenticated and turned in to the FBI.

So which is it? PV contacted law enforcement to return it? Or kept it and the FBI found it?

Regardless, it would seem PV was in possession of stolen property. Which they likely paid to acquire. Even if they didn't, a crime looks to have been committed by PV.
Yes the Law Enforcement one. I forgot that part of the article. 

Either way verifying it was stolen confirms it was real. 

dozer said:
The Warrant

Looks like the were looking for stolen property.
For it to be a Federal issue the lower bound is a value of $5k.  I guess since Hunter's paintings are worth 50k that makes this diary worth at least 5?

Hunter accomplishes something!

PV said they paid to acquire it.  They couldn't authenticate it, so turned it over to the FBI.  And according to Bartnicki v. Vopper PV was allowed to publish from this, even if stolen.  Though, from all accounts, it was abandoned, not stolen.

I give the guy and PV for trying to capture and illuminate the hypocrisy, but he is trying to stay alive in a nasty and dangerous place.

For it to be a Federal issue the lower bound is a value of $5k.  I guess since Hunter's paintings are worth 50k that makes this diary worth at least 5?

Hunter accomplishes something!

PV said they paid to acquire it.  They couldn't authenticate it, so turned it over to the FBI.  And according to Bartnicki v. Vopper PV was allowed to publish from this, even if stolen.  Though, from all accounts, it was abandoned, not stolen.

Yup...amid all the deflection the question still remains...why was the FBI conducting a raid for a diary and why was this leaked to the New York Times so quickly.

I give the guy and PV for trying to capture and illuminate the hypocrisy, but he is trying to stay alive in a nasty and dangerous place.
Except he tries to manufacture hypocrisy much of the time.  He is making the “place” nasty with his own behavior and tactics.

From O'keefe last night, he couldn't verify any of the claims or information, so they didn't publish anything and turned it over to the FBI. 

His lawyer said they would have turned over anything asked for, but there was never a request for information or to turn in documents. 

It's hard to consider it stolen property if it was never authenticated and turned in to the FBI.
I wish the NYT had as much journalistic integrity as O’Keefe has.  

Except he tries to manufacture hypocrisy much of the time.  He is making the “place” nasty with his own behavior and tactics.

I can concede that his tactics might feel dirty, we might disagree as to whether catching people in the act is an acceptable course.

The "place" was a cesspool long before he or his group emerged, will be long after.  He is pointing out the misdeeds of the powerful, we want this.

I can concede that his tactics might feel dirty, we might disagree as to whether catching people in the act is an acceptable course.

The "place" was a cesspool long before he or his group emerged, will be long after.  He is pointing out the misdeeds of the powerful, we want this.
Who has he caught in the act?  The point is his tactics make it appear someone is caught…the facts come out then typically show otherwise.

And I have.  You did not dispute it…just complained about the source without a thing to base that complaint on.

Who has he caught?  And what were the repercussions?
ACORN hasn’t been heard from since the Veritas investigation. That’s one without any research 

ACORN hasn’t been heard from since the Veritas investigation. That’s one without any research 
You mean the one where he had to pay out $100,000 to an ACORN employee for smearing them?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2013/03/08/james-okeefe-pays-100000-to-acorn-employee-he-smeared-conservative-media-yawns/?sh=3283353214bd

The negative publicity due to his tactics "cancelled" acorn.  Losing their contracts with the Census Bureau and IRS...as well as much of their private funding.  Actual investigations of ACORN amounted to no criminal wrongdoing.  Okeefe got off by copping a deal with California AG to give up the raw footage for their investigation as well...which also found no criminal wrongdoing with ACORN.

So...in what way were they "caught"?

You mean the one where he had to pay out $100,000 to an ACORN employee for smearing them?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2013/03/08/james-okeefe-pays-100000-to-acorn-employee-he-smeared-conservative-media-yawns/?sh=3283353214bd

The negative publicity due to his tactics "cancelled" acorn.  Losing their contracts with the Census Bureau and IRS...as well as much of their private funding.  Actual investigations of ACORN amounted to no criminal wrongdoing.  Okeefe got off by copping a deal with California AG to give up the raw footage for their investigation as well...which also found no criminal wrongdoing with ACORN.

So...in what way were they "caught"?
So the ACORN guy told the truth, O’Keefe published it without his permission and got sued.  Story at 11.  

So the ACORN guy told the truth, O’Keefe published it without his permission and got sued.  Story at 11.  
You might want to read what actually happened.

ACORN committed zero crimes.  O'Keefe selectively edited things (as he always does) and had to pay up.  And the only reason he dodged more charges were he cooperated and gave up his raw tapes to the AG...who found ACORN committed no crimes.  

So I ask once again...what did he catch ACORN doing?  They were not heard from because his smear campaign hurt their trust with the goverment and they already had some internal issues (that had nothing to do with O'Keefe's reporting) and could not overcome both.

By even bringing up ACORN, you are proving my point that he is dirty and not a credible anything...much less a journalist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who has he caught in the act?  The point is his tactics make it appear someone is caught…the facts come out then typically show otherwise.

Individuals that PV caught in the act of admitting their inappropriate actions, I feel as though you are purposely ignoring factors to avoid talking about them

Individuals that PV caught in the act of admitting their inappropriate actions, I feel as though you are purposely ignoring factors to avoid talking about them
Im asking you who has he actually caught?  What were they accused of?  What were the repercussions? 

Thus far we have a failed attempt at answering that with ACORN...who were shown to have committed no crimes...and what came out of that was O'Keefe having to pay for his own antics.

Ive ignored nothing...and I am not avoiding talking about the guy.  Who has he actually caught?  Each and every time these videos come out...it seems not long after, the full facts shown he selectively edited things to make things seem as though they were one way...the facts show it not to be what he was portraying.  When has it not?  What came out of it?  If he is so great...surely someone was busted doing something and faced consequences.  Im asking who?

You might want to read what actually happened.

ACORN committed zero crimes.  O'Keefe selectively edited things (as he always does) and had to pay up.  And the only reason he dodged more charges were he cooperated and gave up his raw tapes to the AG...who found ACORN committed no crimes.  

So I ask once again...what did he catch ACORN doing?  They were not heard from because his smear campaign hurt their trust with the goverment and they already had some internal issues (that had nothing to do with O'Keefe's reporting) and could not overcome both.

By even bringing up ACORN, you are proving my point that he is dirty and not a credible anything...much less a journalist.
I suggest you peruse their website.  Here are other stories:

ABC intentionally buried Epstein story

Democrat operatives infiltrated Trump rallies to cause violence 

Exposed Gilliam lies in Florida Governor race 

A lot of great stuff exposing corruption  archived at the link 

Veritas stings

I suggest you peruse their website.  Here are other stories:

ABC intentionally buried Epstein story

Democrat operatives infiltrated Trump rallies to cause violence 

Exposed Gilliam lies in Florida Governor race 

A lot of great stuff exposing corruption  archived at the link 

Veritas stings
I know what they claim…yet why does nothing come from it?  Because the truth is usually not what they are claiming.

So thanks for again showing my point.  

Having the FBI sicced on them by DOJ over a recovered diary is way beyond the media cesspool.  This is a hit job.
That is the issue that is getting pushed aside…as I have posted a few times, the issue is not whether you think Project Veritas is doing God’s work or is the devil ( that is a deflection) but why the FBI conducted the raid and how that info got to the New York Times almost immediately…it feels like some are ok with this because it is a media source they do not like and the fact that many in the media have shown little interest in this event is pretty astounding as it represents a direct shot at their profession and you would think they would be petrified of the precedent it is potentially setting.

Last edited by a moderator:
:shrug:

ABC lost credibility

Trump beat Hillary

DeSantis beat Gilliam
ABC lost credibility in the eyes of people who already think they have none (and think O'Keefe has some).

You think Trump beat Hillary because of Veritas?   This makes zero sense.

You also think DeSantis won because of that?  Again...makes little sense.

Users who are viewing this thread