What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FFA Movie Poll - 1974 Countdown Monday is here. (1 Viewer)

I'm still not a huge fan of late 60's/early 70's movies. There's a smattering, sure (The Wild Bunch, Chinatown, Once Upon A Time In The West) but overall it's there are too many B-level WW2 and Western genres movies and is supplanted by Vietnam/Boomer era gritty angst filled dramas which I don't find very entertaining.

Then Jaws hits in '75 and movies start to be fun again.
Ok, I will admit there are some rough patches in the late 60s as the transition from old to new Hollywood wasn't smooth but it seems more like a slow transition than anything really exploding on the scene in 75. Maybe I will think otherwise after we go through this process. 

It's crazy how this movie got made. Cassavetes' (the director) wife Gena Rowlands wanted him to write a play about the hardships women were facing during that time. He wrote a play, and he and Rowlands felt it was too intense for Rowlands to have to do every night in a play, so he made it into a screenplay for film. No studio wanted to finance the film or distribute it. They said nobody is interested in watching a crazy middle aged woman. Cassavetes mortgaged his house, and got backing from actor friends. Peter Falk contributed $500,000 of his own money. They had students from the American Film Institute work on the film for free, and they stole power from powerlines. They had no studio, so they filmed the house scenes in a run-down house. They also cast Cassavetes' and Rowlands' mothers, their children, another actor's kid, and Cassavetes godson. Rowlands did her own makeup, bought clothes from a thrift store for costumes, and they had to use the dry cleaners every night since they had no duplicates of the clothes. 

When nobody wanted to distribute the movie, Cassavetes called theater owners asking them to run it. He was known in the art-house community for his past films. Cassavetes and Falk showed the film at colleges doing Q & A afterwards. They had college students trying to help get it distributed, and some small theaters agreed to show it. It was the first time in the history of motion pictures that an independent film was distributed without the help of sub-distributors. Their big break came when it got shown at the New York Film Festival, who originally refused to show it. Martin Scorsese said he would pull his own film from the festival if they didn't show Cassavetes film. Critics loved it, and Rowlands and Cassavetes would end up getting Academy Award nominations. The film made 6.1 million, and all the money went to the cast, crew, and their investor friends. 
I had NO idea about any of that. Thank you so much for posting... makes me :wub: it even more.

Cassevetes made a LOT of insufferable personal flicks which remind me a lot of sex-harrasser Jim Toback's movies. I found them to be more about the acting than the moviemaking and was never a fan. AWUTI was indeed better than the awfulawfulawful Faces & the others but idunno. Maybe that's the '74 i should revisit.

ETA: It is on youtube, btw

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I will admit there are some rough patches in the late 60s as the transition from old to new Hollywood wasn't smooth but it seems more like a slow transition than anything really exploding on the scene in 75. Maybe I will think otherwise after we go through this process. 
Peter Biskind's "Easy Riders, Raging Bulls" is an excellent book about the transition from old to new Hollywood. 

The non-remastered version of The Conversation is on Amazon Prime right now, and I watched it last night (you can pay $3.99 to rent the re-mastered version on Amazon too). Didn't love it. I can see where it might have been somewhat groundbreaking for its time (though its premise is derivative), but I don't think its held up well for various reasons. For instance, I think 80% of the scenes would have been shot completely differently had that film been done today. Amusingly, the sound engineering in this original version is pretty bad (and I'm not talking about the parts where the sound was intentionally distorted), I imagine they fix that in the remastered version. Mainly, in the end there really wasn't a whole lot to the story. Interesting supporting cast though - Tom Hagen, Fredo, Shirley, White Supremacist Thrift Shop Owner From Falling Down, Inga, and Han Solo.

Do I need to see Freebie And The Bean or The Lords Of Flatbush? Is youtube the only place to find Harry And Tonto?

I'm scuffling to get to 10 I'd feel o.k. about giving points to. Like, The Great Gatsby is in my list and I don't think it should be.

Do I need to see Freebie And The Bean or The Lords Of Flatbush? Is youtube the only place to find Harry And Tonto?

I'm scuffling to get to 10 I'd feel o.k. about giving points to. Like, The Great Gatsby is in my list and I don't think it should be.
Lords of Flatbush - hell yes  :thumbup:

interestingly enough, flick was pushed as a star making vehicle for Perry King, but his two co-stars, Stallone and Winkler, became (arguably) the biggest icons in film and TV (respectfully) within a couple years, with the Rocky and Fonzie characters. 

Lords of Flatbush - hell yes  :thumbup:

interestingly enough, flick was pushed as a star making vehicle for Perry King, but his two co-stars, Stallone and Winkler, became (arguably) the biggest icons in film and TV (respectfully) within a couple years, with the Rocky and Fonzie characters. 
Reading the wikipedia page for this, they have an interesting anecdote about how Richard Gere was initially the guy playing Perry King's role, but he and Stalone couldn't get along so Gere got the boot for King.

Freebie and the Bean hasn't aged well IMO.  The cop/buddy/action/comedy hybrid has been done so much better over the years.

I enjoyed seeing scenes of SF from the early 70s but if it wasn't for the hometown factor, I probably would have tapped out before the end.

Freebie and the Bean hasn't aged well IMO.  The cop/buddy/action/comedy hybrid has been done so much better over the years.

I enjoyed seeing scenes of SF from the early 70s but if it wasn't for the hometown factor, I probably would have tapped out before the end.
Thanks, I'll take that one off the list.

think you can skip the first two. i really wanted tLoF to be something, but (sry, otb) it wasnt. H&T was a nice movie, but it registered with people mostly because Art Carney was as good at driving a movie (see The Late Show too, tho Lily Tomlin plays the worst hippie in creation) as we all knew he could be and wanted him to have that chance a LOT earlier than he did.

And you MUST watch Gatsby. If i had to, you have to. This one just pissed me off, but the DiCaprio broke my heart because i realized that it's the last try i'll be alive for, meaning i'll never see a good version of the moviest book i ever read.

From these lists, it appears I should watch Texas Chainsaw Massacre.  Am I gonna be scared? :(  
i'm guessing no. there are just some of us whose mental constructs make us immune to slash. couple "hmmmm"s, couple more "ugh"s, i'm guessin. that's it

you MUST watch Gatsby.
Oh,  I've seen that version multiple times. Pretty much every time I had to read the Great Gatsby in the various Lit classes I had through my academic career the teacher/professor would "treat" us to a viewing as well. I marveled at how the director managed to get uniformly dull performances from every single actor in the film.

I haven't watched Harry & Tonto in decades (and it might resonate more as I approach Harry's age) but I think there are lot better Paul Mazursky films (e.g.  Next Stop Greenwich Village, An Unmarried Woman, Blume in Love)

Oh,  I've seen that version multiple times. Pretty much every time I had to read the Great Gatsby in the various Lit classes I had through my academic career the teacher/professor would "treat" us to a viewing as well. I marveled at how the director managed to get uniformly dull performances from every single actor in the film.
If we're talking about the 1974 version, I thought Sam Waterston was a good Nick Carraway

If we're talking about the 1974 version, I thought Sam Waterston was a good Nick Carraway
He was, but it was still a relatively flat emotional read in a sea of flat emotional reads. It all felt over stylized to the point of it being a sequence of set pieces played out by automatons. I get that Fitzgerald was commenting on the lack of humanity he found in that time in place, but without some actual humans involved there is nothing to contrast against the lack of humanity.

He was, but it was still a relatively flat emotional read in a sea of flat emotional reads. It all felt over stylized to the point of it being a sequence of set pieces played out by automatons. I get that Fitzgerald was commenting on the lack of humanity he found in that time in place, but without some actual humans involved there is nothing to contrast against the lack of humanity.
it all turns on Nick. I do outlines on pretty much everything i'd like to see done or done better and i have a lot of additional scenes of Nick on the train commute to better establish the glamour & silliness of the maelstrom around Gatsby

Baz Luhrman's Gatsby notwithstanding, I think there's a tendency towards conservatism when filming classic novels. 

Cassevetes made a LOT of insufferable personal flicks which remind me a lot of sex-harrasser Jim Toback's movies. I found them to be more about the acting than the moviemaking and was never a fan. AWUTI was indeed better than the awfulawfulawful Faces & the others but idunno. Maybe that's the '74 i should revisit.

ETA: It is on youtube, btw
Everything about his movies sound bad to me, but I am going to give AWUTI a go.

Baz Luhrman's Gatsby notwithstanding, I think there's a tendency towards conservatism when filming classic novels. 
It's a pretty short list of real classic lit that also has a real great film version:

Age of Innoncence, Grapes of Wrath, All Quiet on the Western Front, Lord of the Rings. From Here to Eternity. Not too much else jumps to mind that someone might say is a classic in both mediums. 

Everything about his movies sound bad to me, but I am going to give AWUTI a go.
Just rewatched it. Oy. It's not that bad, but mental health movies are like Gatsby - if one aint done right, it's gonna be a while before there's another chance. And the mental health is just soooo actorly in AWUTI

ETA: Hate to be hating on it because it was indeed groundbreaking @ the time & these poles are too MOTO as it is.

Just rewatched it. Oy. It's not that bad, but mental health movies are like Gatsby - if one aint done right, it's gonna be a while before there's another chance. And the mental health is just soooo actorly in AWUTI
The whole subset of mental health movies tends to be awful. I think Spellbound is about the worst Hitch film there is. 

Confession time.

Hated the book.  Hated every version of the movie I saw.  Even hated the story line in Entourage when he made the movie.  There isn't a single thing I like about that story and to this day hate the teacher who made me read it.

Go ahead, attack.  Don't care.  About the only saving grace of that book is that it isn't nearly as bad as Moby ****.  But few things are.

It's a pretty short list of real classic lit that also has a real great film version:

Age of Innoncence, Grapes of Wrath, All Quiet on the Western Front, Lord of the Rings. From Here to Eternity. Not too much else jumps to mind that someone might say is a classic in both mediums. 
Great Expectations, Brighton Rock, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Unbearable Lightness of Being

I think overly reverent adaptations are only part of the problem.  There are novels without a lot of on-screen action or dialog that comes across better on the page.

Great Expectations, Brighton Rock, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Unbearable Lightness of Being

I think overly reverent adaptations are only part of the problem.  There are novels without a lot of on-screen action or dialog that comes across better on the page.
Good call on TKaM and I haven't seen Lean's GE. The adaptation of Brighton Rock and tULoB were good but I wouldn't put them in any kind of great movie cannon.

I think most people liked Remains of the Day but I was really disappointed by it since the book is so good. Room with a View is a pretty damn good adaptation.

i'm guessing no. there are just some of us whose mental constructs make us immune to slash. couple "hmmmm"s, couple more "ugh"s, i'm guessin. that's it
see, but it's sooooo damn much more than "slash" - hell, the killing is probably the least terrifying aspect of the flick ... there's at least a finite push to the body count, whereas the abstract terror (van scene with ChopTop/the dining room scene with "the family" and Sally/Kirk and Jerry stumbling around the Sawyer sprawl/Pam being engulfed in the macabre parlour melange/Sally being ###### with by cook in the gas station/etc) all convey such a claustrophobic and visceral vibe - i mean, ####, it's like death would be a welcome respite from the horror portrayed ...in that respect the flick absolutely kills it. 

tl;dr - this ain't no gotdamn "Friday the Thirteenth" 

I think Of Mice and Men was well done by Gary Sinise (who directed, produced, and starred in it along with John Malkovich).

Confession time.

Hated the book.  Hated every version of the movie I saw.  Even hated the story line in Entourage when he made the movie.  There isn't a single thing I like about that story and to this day hate the teacher who made me read it.

Go ahead, attack.  Don't care.  About the only saving grace of that book is that it isn't nearly as bad as Moby ****.  But few things are.

It's the reason white people are hated.

Good call on TKaM and I haven't seen Lean's GE. The adaptation of Brighton Rock and tULoB were good but I wouldn't put them in any kind of great movie cannon.
The recent remake of Brighton Rock is really terrible.  Sam Riley played Pinky.  He also played Sal Paradise in the equally wretched version of On the Road.

while we're up in here, was on the fence with "Missiles of October" - great made for TV flick - Devane and Sheen were Jack and Bobby - but figured a TV production would've been a stretch ...  it was a remarkable piece of work, had the feeling of live theater, would've loved to see it on B'Way. 

Sheen also scored huge in same milieu with "The Execution of Private Slovik" - as prime a TV flick as ever there was.  he was phenomenal. just a gut wrenchingly perfect performance. 

both very highly recommended if ya can find 'em.  

see, but it's sooooo damn much more than "slash" - hell, the killing is probably the least terrifying aspect of the flick ... there's at least a finite push to the body count, whereas the abstract terror (van scene with ChopTop/the dining room scene with "the family" and Sally/Kirk and Jerry stumbling around the Sawyer sprawl/Pam being engulfed in the macabre parlour melange/Sally being ###### with by cook in the gas station/etc) all convey such a claustrophobic and visceral vibe - i mean, ####, it's like death would be a welcome respite from the horror portrayed ...in that respect the flick absolutely kills it. 

tl;dr - this ain't no gotdamn "Friday the Thirteenth" 
maybe there werent enough monsters under my bed, but i am immune to the act of watching a movie in order to feel terror. even that is badly put, but i dont know how else to express it. i'm the same with action pix. you can get me with either if it takes me by surprise but, if i go in with an expectation i almost never end up going along. just a thang

while we're up in here, was on the fence with "Missiles of October" - great made for TV flick - Devane and Sheen were Jack and Bobby - but figured a TV production would've been a stretch ...  it was a remarkable piece of work, had the feeling of live theater, would've loved to see it on B'Way. 

Sheen also scored huge in same milieu with "The Execution of Private Slovik" - as prime a TV flick as ever there was.  he was phenomenal. just a gut wrenchingly perfect performance. 

Sheen was awesome in that

The early 70s were a golden age of made for TV movies.  QB VII was another 1974 non-theatrical release that was very good. 

maybe there werent enough monsters under my bed, but i am immune to the act of watching a movie in order to feel terror. even that is badly put, but i dont know how else to express it. i'm the same with action pix. you can get me with either if it takes me by surprise but, if i go in with an expectation i almost never end up going along. just a thang
same way for me ... i rarely, if ever, poke in the sci fi/fantasy/smashemup actionexolosion genres ...gimme straight up storytelling ... and my past two #1s in these polls (The Thing/TCM) both told incredible stories, redifining niche storytelling, and obliterating genre constraints - "NoTLD" will most likely be my #1 for '68 if we get there - again, revolutionary in it's message and construct. 

Users who are viewing this thread