What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FFA Official Horror Movie Thread (1 Viewer)

Wolfen was a decent watch but it wasn't really horror and the wolves could shapeshift without a full moon. The movie played out more like a 70s police procedural with Albert Finney as a rebellious NYPD detective with a heart of gold. There were some cool visual effects in wolf vision and location shots in NYC.
Where did you catch this? This is one of my favorite movies with the word Wolfen in the title.

Only managed to hit 22 this month, due to NHL and NFL.
The last few were:
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) - I was 10 when it came out and remember just the ads freaking me out. It definitely lived up to the hype when I finally did get to see it and it still holds up today, although admittedly it did start a bit slower than I remembered. But once it kicked in, it doesn't let up. Leatherface slamming that metal door shut is still so chilling. The woman that makes it to the end probably lost her voice with all that screaming!

Mother's Day (1980) - This was a request from my wife. She swore we watched it together and it turns out she was right as I started to remember more and more of it as it went along. What neither of us remembered though was that it wasn't very good. It had a few good moments but overall it was a clunker. Maybe we were tripping when we first saw it. That always made Troma films better.

The Sadness - Holy ****. How much blood did they use for this? Ultra violent, gory, bloody and perverse. Not so much zombies, but psychotic murderers infected by a virus. Up there with Terrifier 2 for sheer brutality. Not for the faint of heart.

Ending the month with Halloween II tonight. We watched the original a couple of months ago and this is a nice way to end the month. We watch maybe 4 or 5 movies a year, so this was quite an accomplishment for us this month. The wife said she doesn't want to do it again next year but we'll see. :devil:

For the full moon, I watched three werewolf movies

The Curse of the Werewolf (1961 - T. Fisher)

Early 60s Hammer production The Curse of the Werewolf was a disappointment. It was dreadfully slow with layers of backstory and star Oliver Reed not making his appearance until midway through the film. They held off on showing the monster until the very end and he looked lame.

I watched this one last night as well...in agreement that it was lame the the backstory took forever.

I'd have to revisit my list of the month, but I think I saved the best for last today on the day off and finally watched The Wailing. So good, and I am tempted to do a rewatch very soon. I see the 4k is coming out in December, so I might get that or add it to the Christmas list. There are a few scenes that will stick with me for awhile in this one.

He Never Died

Interesting film with Henry Rollins as an immortal cannibal just trying to be left alone. He gets caught up with some bad dudes after him and his daughter (as bait). I like Rollins and this part was perfect for him. 3.5/5
this was pretty fun.

stumbled across it scrolling and went with it. :thumbup:

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) - I was 10 when it came out and remember just the ads freaking me out. It definitely lived up to the hype when I finally did get to see it and it still holds up today, although admittedly it did start a bit slower than I remembered. But once it kicked in, it doesn't let up. Leatherface slamming that metal door shut is still so chilling. The woman that makes it to the end probably lost her voice with all that screaming!

I think the slow start adds to the film. It totally lulls you into a sense of relaxation before things get crazy.

I think the slow start adds to the film. It totally lulls you into a sense of relaxation before things get crazy.
On first view, yes. But on rewatch, knowing what's coming, it had me wanting to fast forward.

On first view, yes. But on rewatch, knowing what's coming, it had me wanting to fast forward.
Franklin is a tough hang.

1st - The Burning (on Prime). Grade - B-
2nd - Meg 2: The Trench (on Max). Grade - C+
3rd - The Black Demon (on Prime). Grade - D
4th - Cropsey (on Prime). Grade - B
Early Bonus - Talk to Me (theater). Grade - A+
5th - Pet Sematary (2019) (on Paramount Plus). Grade D+
6th - Lights Out (on Netflix). Grade C-
7th - Splatter (on Netflix). Grade F
8th - Totally Killer (on Prime). Grade B
9th - The Rage: Carrie 2 (on Max). Grade - D
10th - Saw X (theater). Grade - B+
11th - The Raven (1935) (on Peacock). Grade B
12th - Tormented (1960) (on TCM, available on Prime). Grade C+
13th - Identity (on AMC+). Grade B
14th - Goosebumps (on Netflix). Grade C-
15th - Triangle (on Freevee). Grade B-
16th - The Strange Thing About the Johnsons (on YouTube). Grade B
17th - Christine (on AMC). Grade B-
18th - Torso (on Prime). Grade C+
19th - Prince of Darkness (on Peacock). Grade C
20th - Color out of Space (on Prime). Grade C+
21st - Cobweb (on Hulu). Grade A-
22nd - The Sadness (on AMC+). Grade A
23rd - The Empty Man (on Hulu). Grade D
24th - Vampyr (on Max). Grade B
25th - An American Werewolf in London (on AMC). Grade B
26th - Corpse Bride (on Max). Grade B+
27th - Run Sweetheart Run (on Prime). Grade B
28th - Pet Sematary: Bloodline (on Paramount Plus). Grade D+
29th - Ringu (on AMC+). Grade B-

30th - Carrie (2013) (on HBO). Only watched this because I stumbled upon it when it was starting. This is a remake that didn't need to be remade, although it was clearly better than The Rage; Carrie 2. Straightforward remake in many ways, albeit sanitized of the original DePalma touches. It also made the John Travolta character much more of a manipulative mastermind than really plausible, which I did not care for. Other than that, decent but unnecessary. Grade C-

31st - A Haunting in Venice (on Hulu). This premiered on Hulu on Halloween and the wife insisted on an "opening night" watch. Solid movie that technically fit the Halloween theme, but considerably more mystery than horror. I've been a fan of this series and this one measures up well with the others, but I have to ding it a little for not really being what I typically look for on Halloween Night. Grade B-

Bonus 32nd - Black Sabbath (on TCM). This started just after I had finished Venice so I snuck it in. Boris Karloff hosts and stars in the final part of this three-piece anthology. All three portions are close to equal in quality and somewhat diverse, featuring a zombie, a slasher and closing with a vampire. Fitting end to the month, finishing in the meaty part of the curve. Grade C+.

Late to posting, but have been keeping up. Grouped by grade:

Ready or Not: Tons of fun, really enjoyed it, A-
Green Room: Not quite horror, but a nice twist on the genre with Captain Picard like you have never seen him, A-
Saw: Despite the questionable acting, I have always loved the original, A-
The Sadness: Taiwanese zombie movie, lots of gore and a quite a few "am I really seeing this" moments, A-
A Ghost Story: Not really horror and definitely a slow burn, but made an impact on my at the end, A-

I Am Legend: Solid in all the right ways, B+
Midsommar: Takes some time to get going, maybe not for everyone, but I always appreciate unique stories, B+
Bodies, Bodies, Bodies: Enjoyed it a lot, came together nicely at the end, B+
The Ritual: Great atmosphere, goes a bit awry at the end, but solid, B
Escape Room: Fun concept, nice for a change of pace, B
X: Very creepy with some great scenes, B
The Menu: Enjoyed the concept, worth a watch, B
Terrifier 2: More plot than the first one, higher budget, worth a watch if you like extreme gore, B-
Escape Room 2: Decent follow up, nothing groundbreaking but mindless fun, B-

Terrifier: Zero plot, terrible acting, but a creepy killer clown and some of the most disturbing kills for a low budget movie, C+
The Lighthouse: A bit too out there, C+
You're Next: Just didn't work for me, C
Updated with a few additional, all recommendations from this forum:

Taking of Deborah Logan: Great play on found footage, creepy and effective, A-
Hell House LLC: Similar to above, another unique use of found footage, fun ending, A-
Smile: Sure, it's similar to It Follows and others, but I really enjoyed it, A-
Haunt: Solid with some fun moments, B
Cobweb: As so often happens, first 2/3 is really good, but falls apart towards the end and had some lazy writing, Homelander is great though, B-
Got to 24 movies, finished the month with:

Titane: Wow, that was something, don't have many words for it, can't believe it won the Palme d'Or, B-
Nightmare on Elm Street 3 - Dream Warriors: Halloween night with my favorite Elm Street movie, A

My final list

1st - The Burning (on Prime). Grade - B-
2nd - Meg 2: The Trench (on Max). Grade - C+
3rd - The Black Demon (on Prime). Grade - D
4th - Cropsey (on Prime). Grade - B
Early Bonus - Talk to Me (theater). Grade - A+
5th - Pet Sematary (2019) (on Paramount Plus). Grade D+
6th - Lights Out (on Netflix). Grade C-
7th - Splatter (on Netflix). Grade F
8th - Totally Killer (on Prime). Grade B
9th - The Rage: Carrie 2 (on Max). Grade - D
10th - Saw X (theater). Grade - B+
11th - The Raven (1935) (on Peacock). Grade B
12th - Tormented (1960) (on TCM, available on Prime). Grade C+
13th - Identity (on AMC+). Grade B
14th - Goosebumps (on Netflix). Grade C-
15th - Triangle (on Freevee). Grade B-
16th - The Strange Thing About the Johnsons (on YouTube). Grade B
17th - Christine (on AMC). Grade B-
18th - Torso (on Prime). Grade C+
19th - Prince of Darkness (on Peacock). Grade C
20th - Color out of Space (on Prime). Grade C+
21st - Cobweb (on Hulu). Grade A-
22nd - The Sadness (on AMC+). Grade A
23rd - The Empty Man (on Hulu). Grade D
24th - Vampyr (on Max). Grade B
25th - An American Werewolf in London (on AMC). Grade B
26th - Corpse Bride (on Max). Grade B+
27th - Run Sweetheart Run (on Prime). Grade B
28th - Pet Sematary: Bloodline (on Paramount Plus). Grade D+
29th - Ringu (on AMC+). Grade B-
30th - Carrie (2013) (on HBO). Grade C-
31st - A Haunting in Venice (on Hulu). Grade B-
Bonus 32nd - Black Sabbath (on TCM). Grade C+.

Champion of the Month - The Sadness (on AMC+). Grade A. This one has stuck with me since I watched it. Unique take on the infected zombie genre, heavy on gore and depravity. Credit to board members for recommending this one. (Remember, I saw Talk to Me before the month started so it was ineligible)

Surprise of the Month - Cobweb (on Hulu). Grade A-. I had never heard of this but the character work sucked me in and kept me riveted despite coming a bit off the reels in the final act. Homelander is a natural for horror.

Rewatch of the Month - Identity (on AMC+). Grade B. I obviously didn't rewatch the legends this month but this was a fun revisit. Great ensemble cast and a premise unique at the time.

Theater Watch of the Month - Saw X Grade B+. Had wanted to rewatch The Exorcist at the theater yesterday but didn't make it, so this was the only contender. Nevertheless, a worthy titleholder as it exceeded my expectations with a focused story. (Once again, saw Talk to Me before the month started so it was ineligible)

Trash of the Month - Splatter (on Netflix). Grade F. Zero redeeming value here.

Disappointment of the Month - Prince of Darkness (on Peacock). Grade C. Far from the worst I have seen this month, but I expected more from a John Carpenter film that was not a sequel, prequel, reboot or remake.

Trick ‘r Treat (2007 - M. Dougherty)

I finished October with 13 movies in the coffin. Started Scream (2022) with the family last night but we'll have to finish it in November.

I'd heard positive things about Trick 'r Treat but I wasn't crazy about it. The concept of four (or five) interwoven tales of terror was very clever but something about the execution let me down. Maybe if I was more of a horror aficionado, the tropes would have been more meaningful.

Next time I resolve to approach October with a plan.
I didn't have a plan, I just winged it with a mix of recs from here, what had been on my radar, what the wife wanted to see and what was convenient. If I had stuck to a plan, I may have gotten more quality but probably wouldn't have made it to 31

Trick ‘r Treat (2007 - M. Dougherty)

I finished October with 13 movies in the coffin. Started Scream (2022) with the family last night but we'll have to finish it in November.

I'd heard positive things about Trick 'r Treat but I wasn't crazy about it. The concept of four (or five) interwoven tales of terror was very clever but something about the execution let me down. Maybe if I was more of a horror aficionado, the tropes would have been more meaningful.
Thought you were talking about the one with Skippy in it and the soundtrack by Fastway ... then I saw the year you listed. :bag:

We ended our night with Renfield

That was a great ride. Nic Cage is so underrated with the range of roles he can pull off. Tons of gore and laughs. We really loved it.

I already see Five Nights at Freddy's is free on Max so we will be watching that soon.

I didn't have a plan, I just winged it with a mix of recs from here, what had been on my radar, what the wife wanted to see and what was convenient. If I had stuck to a plan, I may have gotten more quality but probably wouldn't have made it to 31
Yeah, but I like this genre and I tend to watch a lot of it in October every year like clockwork. I could map out a watchlist for myself, and I enjoy the commentary that everybody has provided.

We Are Still Here

I’d say it’s a slow burn, but the condensed time would indicate otherwise. Interesting film all around. Surprised me quite a bit. 3.75/5

Yeah, but I like this genre and I tend to watch a lot of it in October every year like clockwork. I could map out a watchlist for myself, and I enjoy the commentary that everybody has provided.
I do too, to the point where I won't wait until October to see those at the top of my list. Saw Renfield and Smile the day they were available on my streams, for just two examples.

A sequel to It Follows was announced recently. Same writer/director and will be called They Follow. I'm guessing someone from the first movie decided to go to an orgy or join a swingers club.

Surprise of the Month - Cobweb (on Hulu). Grade A-. I had never heard of this but the character work sucked me in and kept me riveted despite coming a bit off the reels in the final act. Homelander is a natural for horror.
Nice lol

I didn't think it was too bad at the end, bar the teacher. She was infuriating. Overall still really enjoyed it as well.

We capped off the month with The Black Phone last night. My wife seemed to really like it, probably the most of a movie this month, but I was more in the OK camp. For me there was one too many things going on with the kids. The girl was the best actor of them, but I didn't need her subplot and powers. The core idea was creepy and good enough. Still worth a watch, but I was just thinking today about why I didn't click with it quite as much as I feel most did.

We capped off the month with The Black Phone last night. My wife seemed to really like it, probably the most of a movie this month, but I was more in the OK camp. For me there was one too many things going on with the kids. The girl was the best actor of them, but I didn't need her subplot and powers. The core idea was creepy and good enough. Still worth a watch, but I was just thinking today about why I didn't click with it quite as much as I feel most did.
I liked this one a lot. Saw it at the theater and again at home. Placing it in the 1970s added significantly IMO.

Sequel to It Follows?? I'm in.

Just watched Talk To Me. Maybe all the A+ ratings inflated my expectations, but I'm ONLY giving it an A.
Some freaking fantastic scenes.

Jessabelle

Was expecting a lot more from this movie, but I didn’t get it. Kind of a weird, murky plot with not a lot of suspense imo. 2.75/5

The Call (Netflix) IMDB 7.1, from 2020. Korean movie, a phone allows two women to talk across 20 years. I thought this was great - it didn't dwell too much on the time traveliness of that setup, but did use it well. I was slightly annoyed by a post-credit scene, but this was still definitely worth a watch.

ETA: Why is this in the horror thread? It ends up being suspenseful and somewhat slashery.

Betaal (Netflix): Technically a 4-episode show, but when you have about 3 hours of footage and no subsequent seasons, it's really just a long movie. Zombie movie in India! I guess I can put another pin in the international zombie map. They had no budget - the zombies are laughably bad rubber masks. This was more of a military vs. zombies movie, which seems a little underrepresented in the genre. The final scene was a little annoying because it really wasn't set up earlier. This wasn't really all that good. I didn't hate watching it, there were some interesting bits... but overall it was pretty uneven and not worth the time spent.

One odd thing is that it's recorded in Hindi, but I did the semipsychotic thing of turning on both dubs and subs. The dubs were done by Indian people, so they had the correct accent, which I thought was pretty cool. The subs were because at times I can get lost in a sentence from an Indian English speaker - the cadence is different, and if I lose it in the middle of a sentence, it takes some work to backfill once I get it back. The differences between subs and dubs were bizarre - one fairly important character gets changed from a brother to a cousin! Essentially every line was different - they seem to have had one service do the translation to subtitles and a different group do the translation for dubbing, with no communication between the two. I think comparing the two probably is what made me stick with this to the end.

ETA: I did like what they did with a memory of the main character, rewriting it a couple times throughout the movie.

Terrifier 3: Art the Clown Returns in New Teaser

"In the world of horror, Damien Leone's Terrifier franchise stands as a defiant embodiment of anti-Hollywood ethos," Brad Miska, Managing Director of Bloody Disgusting, added. "With an unwavering commitment to delivering precisely what the fans desire, Leone has crafted an entirely independent sequel. Terrifier 3 is going to have nastier kills, a bigger budget, and an even crazier storyline."

It Follows (Netflix), IMDB 6.8: I’ve always heard good things about this and finally decided to watch it. The concept is neat, the changing appearance was good, and overall it wasn’t bad. But man, the technical stuff was bad. Acting, score, and camera work were jarringly bad. I’m also a little unclear about the pool scene - what their plan was, what went wrong, what was different about how it ended than earlier similar situations.

So, not terrible, but I wouldn’t recommend it.

Last edited:
Where the Devil Roams

I think it’s supposed to be horror/art film, but it’s really just a total disaster. Avoid or watch at your own risk. 1/5

I'm thinking of doing a top 100 horror movie countdown thread. I'm fine doing it myself, but if anyone wants to join in and do something like a consensus FFA top 100, I'd be down too. It would involve submitting anywhere from 60-100 horror movies to me ranked. I'd come up with our consensus top 100 from that, kind of like how the 80s and 90s movie countdowns went. Post interest here. I imagine getting 2-4 of us would be ideal.

Posting this now because I want the list done with plenty of time before Halloween. Might make a good watch list for folks.

I'm thinking of doing a top 100 horror movie countdown thread. I'm fine doing it myself, but if anyone wants to join in and do something like a consensus FFA top 100, I'd be down too. It would involve submitting anywhere from 60-100 horror movies to me ranked. I'd come up with our consensus top 100 from that, kind of like how the 80s and 90s movie countdowns went. Post interest here. I imagine getting 2-4 of us would be ideal.

Posting this now because I want the list done with plenty of time before Halloween. Might make a good watch list for folks.
I'd submit a list

I'd submit a list for sure, as long as you don't want it in a couple days or anything.

I'd submit a list for sure, as long as you don't want it in a couple days or anything.
Nope, I'll ask for lists soon, but we're doing this in April, so no real rush.

I'd be interested, but I haven't watched much the past 15 years and my definition of horror may be different than others.

I'd be interested, but I haven't watched much the past 15 years and my definition of horror may be different than others.
That would make it interesting though, and provide some good discussion. Stuff like Silence of the Lambs comes to mind right away that I see on horror lists and I disagree with.

That would make it interesting though, and provide some good discussion. Stuff like Silence of the Lambs comes to mind right away that I see on horror lists and I disagree with.
See I would allow SotL. I want it to not be super restricted, but within reason. If you can find valid argument on the internet that it’s a horror movie, that’s probably good enough. But at the same time, I wouldn’t want it to be filled with crime thrillers either.

See I would allow SotL. I want it to not be super restricted, but within reason. If you can find valid argument on the internet that it’s a horror movie, that’s probably good enough. But at the same time, I wouldn’t want it to be filled with crime thrillers either.
For the sake of collecting, you should keep it open like that. What will happen is something like Silence of the Lambs might not be as high as people expect if there isn't consensus in the submissions if it's horror or not. That is where the debate and discussion will come in.

Users who are viewing this thread