What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Food and Drink Talk (2 Viewers)

In the intended spirit of this thread, first I’ll link to an ongoing thread discussing the Kansas City BBQ scene.  We’ve got a few regulars from the KC metro and regular visitors to KC posting about BBQ places (and other restaurants) in the area, plus a few other recommendations about the city, like how to handle gameday if you’re coming in for a Chiefs or Royals game. 

Also recommend SWC’s tacos thread.  There’s some shtick in there, but also some great discussion and photos about taco stands and homecooking tacos.  Chaka’s photo library of taco plates is a must-catch if you like tacos, or photos of plated food.   

Gonna do a mixed grill tonight to have pre-cooked around the house the next few days: a few burgers, dogs, brats, chicken thighs.  I’ve found if I have stuff like that available in the fridge I’m better at avoiding junk food or other fillers.

My Jersey comes out in various ways...one is that my favorite fries are Jersey boardwalk fries.

Cut the potatoes right there, drop them in cover them with salt and scoop way too many into the worthless paper buckets that haven't changed since I was a kid, put the ketchup right on them and get messy eating them.

On the boardwalk. While your walking. Hoping a gull doesn't land on you or poop on you.

Oh and in the spirit of the thread, I don't know what in the hell the devil did to many regions of this country, but I've tried what you people call pizza.

It's not pizza. Not anymore than velveeta is cheese.

In the intended spirit of this thread, first I’ll link to an ongoing thread discussing the Kansas City BBQ scene.  We’ve got a few regulars from the KC metro and regular visitors to KC posting about BBQ places (and other restaurants) in the area, plus a few other recommendations about the city, like how to handle gameday if you’re coming in for a Chiefs or Royals game. 

Also recommend SWC’s tacos thread.  There’s some shtick in there, but also some great discussion and photos about taco stands and homecooking tacos.  Chaka’s photo library of taco plates is a must-catch if you like tacos, or photos of plated food.   

Gonna do a mixed grill tonight to have pre-cooked around the house the next few days: a few burgers, dogs, brats, chicken thighs.  I’ve found if I have stuff like that available in the fridge I’m better at avoiding junk food or other fillers.
Let's get links to pics. 

Maybe I am just a snob or a hipster (probably both in some ways) but I've been to Chicago so many times and have never had a deep dish pizza or whatever beef sandwich you guys are talking about that. Despite that, I think Chicago has some of the best food in the world. Amazing food n drink scene.

Although now I am going to contradict myself and say that fresh McDonalds fries are the best fries. 

I just don’t get the hate. I’m all about simple. Slice a potato, fry it, salt it, feed it to me.

My favored pizza is cheese pizza because I like the taste of simple cheese, sauce and crust. Heck, I even love good vanilla ice cream.

I guess on some foods I like them in their simplest form. Fries don’t get any more simple than In-n-Out.
It's ridiculous really. Potato, hot oil, salt. Now let's start whining about different versions?

I love In N Out's fries. Prefer them to other drive thrus by quite a bit, but then I like simple fresh food. 

Maybe I am just a snob or a hipster (probably both in some ways) but I've been to Chicago so many times and have never had a deep dish pizza or whatever beef sandwich you guys are talking about that. Despite that, I think Chicago has some of the best food in the world. Amazing food n drink scene.
Not sure being a snob or hipster would disqualify one from iconic food. I love food that is connected to a region. Few regions and foods are more iconic or recognizable (or delicious) than Chicago Pizza and Italian Beef.

On the other hand maybe I'm just a simple doof because I've been to Chicago twice and both times got the deep dish. 

It's ridiculous really. Potato, hot oil, salt.

Agreed. I think that's part of what makes it so remarkable.

How is it that you're hand-cut by the happiest staff in all of fast food and still your insides are stiff and cold and devoid of the lush, velvety texture of your craveable contemporaries? I don't know how those kids in the paper hats can look people in the eye and serve you. If I didn't know better, I'd think you were made of yuca.

Not sure being a snob or hipster would disqualify one from iconic food. I love food that is connected to a region. Few regions and foods are more iconic or recognizable (or delicious) than Chicago Pizza and Italian Beef.
I am sure I would love both of them. It's just odd that I have visited Chicago probably 15 times in the last 10 years with no real plans other than to drink and eat, but have never had either of those items. 

we do have a 100+ page thread here that compares Five Guys to In N Out and about 60% of that thread is people complaining about their fries and the In N Out guys telling us to just put salt on them to make them awesome.

Edit: 140 pages here

Edit again: @Getzlaf15 is #1 fan of In N Out fries

I’ll go on record and say they are great. They slice potatoes right in front of your face, deep fry them, and put salt on them. If you don’t like that, you don’t like real fries. 
:wub:

I am sure I would love both of them. It's just odd that I have visited Chicago probably 15 times in the last 10 years with no real plans other than to drink and eat, but have never had either of those items. 
All good. But I would agree with you it's odd. But easy to fix! 

God Bless the FFA. I never fail to learn something here and today I learned not everyone agrees In N Out fries are awful.

Last edited by a moderator:
All good. But I would agree with you it's odd. But easy to fix! 
Going there again in 2 weeks. Chances of that changing are 0. My SIL runs is pretty high up in the Sazerac Chicago operations so she is very in-tune and connected with the Chicago food n drink scene so always have a long list of spots to hit up when we visit. Deep dish pizza isn't really the kind of thing we do. She is in Ukrainian Village right now, so even when we do lowkey stuff during the day with her kids, it's just something close we can walk to. 

Going there again in 2 weeks. Chances of that changing are 0. My SIL runs is pretty high up in the Sazerac Chicago operations so she is very in-tune and connected with the Chicago food n drink scene so always have a long list of spots to hit up when we visit. Deep dish pizza isn't really the kind of thing we do. She is in Ukrainian Village right now, so even when we do lowkey stuff during the day with her kids, it's just something close we can walk to. 
:shrug:  

not deep dish Chicago style pizza, but this place is one of my favorites and it's probably not far from where you'll be:

http://www.craftpizzachicago.com/

In N Out fans think their fries are a health food so they put up with them having zero taste. California is weird.
I taste them. Mmmmm. Dipped in that fresh vanilla shake. Whoa. Heaven in the car. And sure as a Californian who's personally brought a few hundred tons of fresh produce to market I get a little creeped out by the processing process. 19 ingredients in McDonald's fries. Potatoes stored for up to a year before being scalded free of mold then boiled into a mush with the other ingredients and pressed into shape to be frozen. I'm weird for not liking this!? Midwesterners are nutty.

eta in n out and 5 guys = 3 ingredients.

I've legit never heard another human say anything other than In N Out fries are terrible. Ever.

And off the bat, we have two who think they're good. This may have been a bad idea for a thread...

Just wait until the health/diet guys get going in here.

I taste them. Mmmmm. Dipped in that fresh vanilla shake. Whoa. Heaven in the car. And sure as a Californian who's personally brought a few hundred tons of fresh produce to market I get a little creeped out by the processing process. 19 ingredients in McDonald's fries. Potatoes stored for up to a year before being scalded free of mold then boiled into a mush with the other ingredients and pressed into shape to be frozen. I'm weird for not liking this!? Midwesterners are nutty.
I haven't had McDonalds fries in maybe 5 years, but I'm pretty sure they would taste good even if they are going to kill me someday.

In N Out fries taste like cardboard. There's no point in ordering them because they are just going to get thrown in the garbage. Rather eat a raw potato probably.

I haven't had McDonalds fries in maybe 5 years, but I'm pretty sure they would taste good even if they are going to kill me someday.

In N Out fries taste like cardboard. There's no point in ordering them because they are just going to get thrown in the garbage. Rather eat a raw potato probably.
Honestly, it has nothing to do with being more or less healthy. It has to do with liking the taste of real food vs liking the taste of highly processed manipulated food. There's sugar (dextrose) in McDonald's fries (many fast food chains for that matter). Both can taste good to different people. We're just different, but nothing about an In N Out fry tastes like cardboard to me. It tastes like a freshly fried potato with salt. Because that's exactly what it is. If you think that tastes like cardboard when you can watch them start from a fresh tater, go to the oil, get pulled and salted while waiting for you order, well, your taste buds are broken. Probably by all the manipulated food you've been tricked into liking. 

Giordanos or Uno or something else. I'll trust you here despite your handicap. 

I agree that In n Out fries are terrible, as are most Fast Food and Quick Serve Fries.  What I don't understand is why they don't fix it.  Great fries are not some super secret recipe, but they take some specific steps.  Is it an economic decision?

Cut

Soak

Pre Fry

Holding

Final Fry, season, serve.
It was an economic decision in that having a fry press for raw potatoes in the window was a nifty marketing device for us weirdos in Cali.

Honestly, it has nothing to do with being more or less healthy. It has to do with liking the taste of real food vs liking the taste of highly processed manipulated food. There's sugar (dextrose) in McDonald's fries (many fast food chains for that matter). Both can taste good to different people. We're just different, but nothing about an In N Out fry tastes like cardboard to me. It tastes like a freshly fried potato with salt. Because that's exactly what it is. If you think that tastes like cardboard when you can watch them start from a fresh tater, go to the oil, get pulled and salted while waiting for you order, well, your taste buds are broken. Probably by all the manipulated food you've been tricked into liking. 

Giordanos or Uno or something else. I'll trust you here despite your handicap. 
If they aren't frying them twice, they aren't worth eating.  

Am going to ask this question in the NYC thread but I’m going to be going to NYC for bizness I’m coming months — while that’s happened a lot in the past, this is the first time I’ll be staying in the general MSG area — any must do restaurants/bars in the MSG area? 

We've had the INO fries discussion in the 5 guys thread a million times.

Let me change the flow. Has anyone had ribs (Korean or otherwise) better than the pork ribs at Ham Ji Park? I'd like to know if such a thing exists.

Check out one of these 20 thin crust tavern-style pizza places.  Hell, even Smith & Wollensky has a pretty good one (used to anyway ...haven't eaten there in years).  

ETA: I understand Pat's may be the best one.  

Pretty good list and that's my style of pizza before Chicago Style. Pat's, Phil's and Vito and Nick's are all good.

Fan of Piece too.  One of my favorite crusts in town

I knew this would turn into an In-N-Out fries thread as soon as I read it.  :lmao:

For the record, I've argued for them here, and argued against them. I guess I like them and hate them all at the same time. I've confused myself.    

The best fries in the world are:

1. Mine

The end.
1.  Joe’s KC BBQ French Fries

2.  ChiefD’s fries

3.  The French Fries booth at the Minnesota State Fair

The rest are all imposters.  Except for maybe those Jersey boardwalk fries Y23Fan was talking about.  I haven’t had them, but trust his word.  And if we start taking about Ohana in here, buckle up.

I agree Portillo’s looks/feels lame but the food is good

Chuck E Cheese is a nightmare

Am going to ask this question in the NYC thread but I’m going to be going to NYC for bizness I’m coming months — while that’s happened a lot in the past, this is the first time I’ll be staying in the general MSG area — any must do restaurants/bars in the MSG area? 
Gyro II

Users who are viewing this thread