What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Food and Drink Talk (2 Viewers)

Cooked a nice lunch today: Seared ahi tuna tacos with greens of arugula, shaved carrot tossed with olive oil and lemon juice, an avocado and cilantro Greek yogurt "sour cream". 
Love me some fish tacos. But watching out for carbs so I do this.

I fry catfish dusted in seasoned  corn flour and pan fry it in coconut oil (a light dust keeps the carbs very low)

I make a sauce out of 1 part tartar sauce, two parts fresh pico de gallo, 2 parts avocado salsa or sliced avocados

Heat up a low carb tortilla or wrap.

Its freaking delicious

Last edited by a moderator:
Fries are played out.  There's only so much you can say about them.  The ingredients are minimal and the technique seems so too but there are numerous ways to screw things up.  Everybody knows a great one when they eat it but the differences between great and good fries are tiny and subtle.

So let's talk about sandwiches.  As befits the King, I'm starting with Elvis' favorite:  the humble peanut butter and banana sandwich.  It works for breakfast, lunch or a late night snack.  The basic ingredients are usually on hand and can be livened up with honey, bacon, jelly, lettuce or mayo (just not at the same time).  The Elvis sandwich also works well on any kind of bread except rye and sourdough. 

I went to college in southern california in the late 80's.  in-n-out unquestionably had the best FF burgers and fries.  Something changed about 10-15 years ago across the industry.  I believe the quality of all of them went down. INO is still my preference if i am in the area and want FF.  As someone mentioned earlier, their fries are fine if you dine in.  When I take it to go or drive through, I order them "well done."

Regarding Chicago, there are many excellent restaurants and is probably close to top 5 in the US.  Their pizza and Italian Beef is still worth trying. I am always drawn towards regional iconic creations.

sf (even if we do not include napa/sonoma/healdsburg)

nyc

la

new orleans

and we can debate chicago, seattle, miami, philly
That is about the list I was thinking of. I can't comment on the Seattle, Miami or Philly food scene but I've never got the impression it was anything near what Chicago has. I sure would love to go and find out though!

What kind of chemicals?

I will eat chemicals that taste good over french fries that taste bad. 
Although the first ingredient in the French fries is indeed potatoes (thank goodness), the remainder of the ingredient list contains 18 other rather disturbing substances.

Included on the list of ingredients is TBHQ, or tertiary butylhydroquinone – a petrol-based chemical, hydrogenated soybean oil (a manufactured form of trans fat) and worst of all… dimethylpolysiloxane, a form of silicone that is supposedly found in breast implants and yes, Silly Putty.

So the obvious question is, why wouldn’t the only ingredients in French fries be potatoes and salt??

Well in Europe, that actually is the case for McDonald’s French fries, where they only contain potatoes, vegetable oil, salt and sugar. How come? Because Europe has stricter food regulations than the United States, where apparently, it’s okay to put “anti-foaming” agents in your French fries.

So what exactly are these ingredients?

Dimethylpolysiloxane is not only found in Silly Putty, but is also used in hair conditioner, anti-mold products and sealants for aquarium tanks. It often also contains formaldehyde, which has been associated with causing allergies, autoimmune disorders, brain damage and even (ball) cancer.

Tertiary Butylhydroquinone (TBHQ) is used to inhibit corrosion in biodiesel fuel, as a “fixative” in perfume and is also used in lacquers and varnishes. Yet the FDA says it is safe to consume in a small concentration when it’s used to “stabilize” foods to have a longer shelf life.

Hydrogenated Soybean Oil probably sounds innocent enough, right? Except that it’s actually referred to as “the silent killer.” The ingredient that is also used to increase shelf life, damages the heart and contributes to at least 100,000 cardiac deaths each year in the United States, which could’ve been prevented if people switched to a healthier non-hydrogenated oil.

Other tasty ingredients in the popular fast food item include canola oil, natural beef flavor, hydrolyzed wheat (making them not gluten-free), hydrolyzed milk, citric acid, dextrose (to give color) and sodium acid dimethylpolysiloxane to prevent the fries from turning gray.

Sounds delicious.

The fries are also fried not once – but twice. Once at the processing plant and again at the restaurant.

That is about the list I was thinking of. I can't comment on the Seattle, Miami or Philly food scene but I've never got the impression it was anything near what Chicago has. I sure would love to go and find out though!

I can see how it makes your top 3 then :thumbup:

next tier to include:

the carloinas

denver (gets a lot of transplants from all over)

san diego... still working things out though

austin/ dfw

i love hawaii  (pacific rim) but find them hard to rank.  when i go, i rarely go for french, italian, cajun, etc.

It's tough because the rankings are weighted toward reputation and restaurants that are $$$. 

You're both pretty.  Let's talk about sandwiches.
If for some reason there's no bananas just go nuts and make a peanut butter and pickle sandwich. Also works with jelly and/or bacon. 

Although the first ingredient in the French fries is indeed potatoes (thank goodness), the remainder of the ingredient list contains 18 other rather disturbing substances.

Included on the list of ingredients is TBHQ, or tertiary butylhydroquinone – a petrol-based chemical, hydrogenated soybean oil (a manufactured form of trans fat) and worst of all… dimethylpolysiloxane, a form of silicone that is supposedly found in breast implants and yes, Silly Putty.

So the obvious question is, why wouldn’t the only ingredients in French fries be potatoes and salt??

Well in Europe, that actually is the case for McDonald’s French fries, where they only contain potatoes, vegetable oil, salt and sugar. How come? Because Europe has stricter food regulations than the United States, where apparently, it’s okay to put “anti-foaming” agents in your French fries.

So what exactly are these ingredients?

Dimethylpolysiloxane is not only found in Silly Putty, but is also used in hair conditioner, anti-mold products and sealants for aquarium tanks. It often also contains formaldehyde, which has been associated with causing allergies, autoimmune disorders, brain damage and even (ball) cancer.

Tertiary Butylhydroquinone (TBHQ) is used to inhibit corrosion in biodiesel fuel, as a “fixative” in perfume and is also used in lacquers and varnishes. Yet the FDA says it is safe to consume in a small concentration when it’s used to “stabilize” foods to have a longer shelf life.

Hydrogenated Soybean Oil probably sounds innocent enough, right? Except that it’s actually referred to as “the silent killer.” The ingredient that is also used to increase shelf life, damages the heart and contributes to at least 100,000 cardiac deaths each year in the United States, which could’ve been prevented if people switched to a healthier non-hydrogenated oil.

Other tasty ingredients in the popular fast food item include canola oil, natural beef flavor, hydrolyzed wheat (making them not gluten-free), hydrolyzed milk, citric acid, dextrose (to give color) and sodium acid dimethylpolysiloxane to prevent the fries from turning gray.

Sounds delicious.

The fries are also fried not once – but twice. Once at the processing plant and again at the restaurant.
I don't want to get into everything here, but just because something has a weird name is used in non-food items, it does not mean it's dangerous to consume. For example THBQ is an organic compound made of Carbon,Hydrogen and Oxygen. That said, I would agree that those fries really unhealthy for you. 

I don't want to get into everything here, but just because something has a weird name is used in non-food items, it does not mean it's dangerous to consume. For example THBQ is an organic compound made of Carbon,Hydrogen and Oxygen. That said, I would agree that those fries really unhealthy for you. 
Just wait until he starts railing about the dangers of Dihydrogen Monoxide.

It's 107 degrees at 7:30 here. I had a shrimp cocktail and salad wedge for dinner just now. I bought the shrimp at Malibu Seafood, cooked them and froze them a couple days ago, so they needed to thaw in the fridge. I'm using Trader Joe's cocktail sauce with a little extra kick of horseradish. Shaved parmesan over the iceberg wedge and drenched it in balsamic and olive oil dressing with, basil, thyme.

And for you Jules...

2014  Pouilly Fuisse Tete de Cru 

French fries- even the European ones- have high amounts of a cations from a  metal so reactive that it catches on fire if it contacts water and anions of a chemical so dangerous that it in it’s pure form is nearly instantaneously lethal if humans breathe it in. Also an ionic compound that is one of the leading causes of heart disease. 

It's 107 degrees at 7:30 here. I had a shrimp cocktail and salad wedge for dinner just now. I bought the shrimp at Malibu Seafood, cooked them and froze them a couple days ago, so they needed to thaw in the fridge. I'm using Trader Joe's cocktail sauce with a little extra kick of horseradish. Shaved parmesan over the iceberg wedge and drenched it in balsamic and olive oil dressing with, basil, thyme.

And for you Jules...

2014  Pouilly Fuisse Tete de Cru 
save the shells for bisque?

edit:  :bag:   if it's 107, we're not making/having hot soup

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, where are the drinks? You all teetotalers?
Like every teenage Asian girl, I like boba tea.  It helps that I live about 30’ from the door of a good teahouse.

The place gets crazy lines on the weekends that fortunately get routed away from our building.  

I order mine 25% sweet so the tea taste isn’t overwhelmed by sugar. 

If for some reason there's no bananas just go nuts and make a peanut butter and pickle sandwich. Also works with jelly and/or bacon. 
Dale Eanhardt Jr’s favorite sandwich is banana and mayo.  I tried one when we were out of peanut butter.  

It was just OK but I’m only half Caucasian. 

Like every teenage Asian girl, I like boba tea.  It helps that I live about 30’ from the door of a good teahouse.

The place gets crazy lines on the weekends that fortunately get routed away from our building.  

I order mine 25% sweet so the tea taste isn’t overwhelmed by sugar. 
Interesting. My tea knowledge is zero. I don’t know what boba tea is.

Dale Eanhardt Jr’s favorite sandwich is banana and mayo.  I tried one when we were out of peanut butter.  

It was just OK but I’m only half Caucasian. 
Had a college roommate that loved mayo and peanut butter sandwiches. I thought he was insane but then I started smoking a little herb and I was hooked. Maybe sprinkle a little soy sauce on the next attempt. 

What In-N-Out serves are simple french-fried potatoes. You can't compare them to some of the other types of fries shown or referenced here in the thread. It's like comparing fresh licorice root to Twizzlers. One of the reasons people love In-N-Out is they use quality ingredients which is unheard of for a fast food joint. For 6-7 bucks you get fresh everything. They shut down their restaurants for 24 hours a few weeks back because there was an issue with the quality of buns. What other fast food place would shut down like that?  Their "fries" are high quality potatoes, sliced right in front of you, then french-fried and salted. That's it. Simple. Honest. From whole, raw potato to finished product in your car in about 6 minutes. Some people love bells and whistles with their fries. They like the Americanized fries with the additives and oil blends. That's fine. In-N-Out does not serve those kind of fries. I guess it depends on the palate of the diner. If you like dishes where the main ingredient is front and center, then an honest, french-fried potato the way In-N-Out does them is something you'll enjoy. If you prefer the ingredient be hidden with additives, sugar, chemicals and everything that goes into classic fast food fries, then they probably aren't going to be up your alley.

LA? Seattle? Nope

no argument on NYC, SF, and NO though
I might get kicked out of town but I'd probably rank LA above SF.  The scale and diversity are greater and lower real estate costs allow for both experimentation by young chefs and survival for old favorties.  LA Chinese, Thai and Korean are better and probably Mexican as well.

LA is great but it’s so spread out. San Fran has so much amazing food consolidated in a small area. Kind of like NO. 

LA is great but it’s so spread out. San Fran has so much amazing food consolidated in a small area. Kind of like NO. 

... and for me, sf also gets points for their high hit % (higher percentage of good restaurants).  NYC, LA, and other big cities have more good restaurants, but also a decent amount more bad. 

in general, i am thinking about quality, diversity/range, innovation, and impact on industry.

... and for me, sf also gets points for their high hit % (higher percentage of good restaurants).  NYC, LA, and other big cities have more good restaurants, but also a decent amount more bad. 

in general, i am thinking about quality, diversity/range, innovation, and impact on industry.
Thanks for supporting the home team :thumbup: I probably underestimate SF because I live here and sometimes choose places for convenience or familiarity.  When we travel, I'm more inclined to do my research and make dinner more of a destination.

The cost of doing business in SF thins poor restaurants out of the herd pretty quickly.  But it also kills off good places, either because they couldn't find their footing quickly or because they were undercapitalized.

Joe can just go ahead and change this to “food thread”
I've fallen in love with Redemption Bourbon. Simple, easy, good price point, just a good offering that has quickly become a staple in my house.

And also the Mint Julep at the Kings Arms Tavern in Williamsburg, Virginia is perfect in the middle of summer Virginia day.

Anybody have thoughts on Lebron's Blaze Pizza? Just curious. New Haven pizza chains are one thing (Hi, Pepe's!) Blaze is another. But in pizza-starved San Diego, it might not be so bad. 

Come to think of it, anybody have San Diego pizza recommendations?  

Oh, and New Haven pizza could be the best in the country.  

Anybody have thoughts on Lebron's Blaze Pizza? Just curious. New Haven pizza chains are one thing (Hi, Pepe's!) Blaze is another. But in pizza-starved San Diego, it might not be so bad. 

Come to think of it, anybody have San Diego pizza recommendations?  

Oh, and New Haven pizza could be the best in the country.  
Find a craft beer joint that serves pizza. At least the beer will be good ;)  

But actually this is a trend here in Copenhagen, over the past year 4 craft beer bar/pizzaria combos have opened - with emphasis on craft beer and a limited, but upscale, selection of pizzas.

Pizza Port is world class as pizza and beer goes.
Awesome. Thanks, guys. Find a world class brewery and order pizza? Well, that sounds tempting. 

Seriously. Can't go wrong with that. Oh, wow. Pizza Port is in Ocean Beach? I'll have to check it out.  

Users who are viewing this thread