What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Food and Drink Talk (1 Viewer)

Awesome. Thanks, guys. Find a world class brewery and order pizza? Well, that sounds tempting. 

Seriously. Can't go wrong with that. Oh, wow. Pizza Port is in Ocean Beach? I'll have to check it out.  
I think @sebowski repped Pizza Port regularly on the beer thread. 

I think @sebowski repped Pizza Port regularly on the beer thread. 
Cool. Not a thread I enter often, actually. I'm like Ramsay Hunt when it comes to beer. I thought it was a joke thread, posted that I was drinking Coors Light, and got booed out of there before I knew that it was a serious beer thread. 

I know you guys love your stuff now. 

Pizza Port sounds like a destination. Have to check it out. Good beer, good pizza? Sounds like a good night. I wonder if they have kolschs. I love me a good kolsch. Session... :excited:

Cool. Not a thread I enter often, actually. I'm like Ramsay Hunt when it comes to beer. I thought it was a joke thread, posted that I was drinking Coors Light, and got booed out of there before I knew that it was a serious beer thread. 

I know you guys love your stuff now. 

Pizza Port sounds like a destination. Have to check it out. Good beer, good pizza? Sounds like a good night. I wonder if they have kolschs. I love me a good kolsch. Session... :excited:
Yeah, the beer thread is pretty far down the nerd rabbit hole. Kind of like walking into one our music drafts. 

Yeah, the beer thread is pretty far down the nerd rabbit hole. Kind of like walking into one our music drafts. 
Beer thread's cool. I just didn't think it was serious when I went in there. I thought it was like the drunk thread. 

BUT IT WAS. 

SERIOUS.

And you guys like good beers. Nothin' wrong with dat. So do I, when I get the quid. And I love me some...

Sam Adams.  

:lmao:

Yeah, I'm laughing at my own joke. 

Pizza in San Diego- I used to like a place in mission Beach called Luigi's.  Do not know if it is still standing.

As for this to thread, while I cook a bit, I do not take pictures.  Nor do it when we go out.  I can start linking favorite restaurants, but that could take a while.

Pizza in San Diego- I used to like a place in mission Beach called Luigi's.  Do not know if it is still standing.

As for this to thread, while I cook a bit, I do not take pictures.  Nor do it when we go out.  I can start linking favorite restaurants, but that could take a while.

Best sunflower seeds? Planter's or David's or others or local? 

Let's go localvores. Looking for seeds up in this joint! 

The only food item around my area that I would consider truly unique is Schmidts Sausage (German-Hungarian). I've never had anything like it.

For 50 years, Henry Schmidt ran the business out of his small house in the middle of a busy neighborhood. You could smell it a block away. My Grandma would take us the weekend before New Years and there would be a line down the street. She would cook it in big crock-pots with sauerkraut (still my favorite way to eat it) on New Years Eve and the smell was so intoxicating that it was forever ingrained in my mind. There are a few local restaurants that make specials with Schmidts sausage occasionally and I literally know if its on the menu the second I walk in the door. It's not just me either, I've brought it to parties in the past in an appetizer and it usually doesn't take long before someone smells it and says "who brought the Schmidts!?!".

Back in those days, Henry Schmidt only made 2 things. Hot Sausage and Mild Sausage. December was so busy that he only made "Holiday Blend" (which was just a mix of hot and mild). Nowadays, the grandsons own it and have an actual store with all kinds of different flavors and products, but the taste is still the same and the store is still cash only. 

Going to pimp out both my city and my national heritage a bit with some hot food takes...

BELGIUM

Enough talk about fries from In N Out, Shake Shack, or whatever other crappy American fast food place.  If you haven't had fries like this from a Belgian or Dutch Friktot, you haven't had real fries.  The more mayo the better is my preference, but a good place will have dozens of different sauces to choose from, even ketchup for the unadventurous American tourist.  

Belgian cuisine is very underrated overall and misrepresented a lot in America.  Moules Frites is one classic dish you can find in the states, but others such as Waterzooi, or Stoofvlees (or Carbonnade Flamande), or Chicon au Gratin are also incredible.  I've done a France/Belgium trip 3 times, and each time I can honestly say that the Belgian food impressed me more than the French food.   It's the perfect comfort food, IMO.  

Belgian waffles and Belgian chocolate are things you see a lot of in America, but none are anywhere near what you get in Belgium, although proper Belgian waffles are starting to become more common here.   A Belgian waffle is not a bland, flimsy, batter based waffle from IHOB that you need to put syrup on.  It's a dessert pastry, often coated in a crystallized sugar, and it does not need any toppings.  You know the smell you get when you are near a good bakery?  That's the smell that permeates the air of Belgian cities from all the corner waffle shops.  They spread like Starbucks out there.  For chocolate, you have to go for pralines, which is something rarely found in America.   It's on a whole other level than most of the stuff sold as "Belgian chocolate" out here.   

SAN FRANCISCO

LA Taqueria has been voted the best burrito in America and it does not disappoint, but I think their tacos are just as good.  Get the carnitas burrito "dorado" style.

The Herb Caen burger at Bill's is my favorite burger ever.  

The Country Loaf from Tartine bakery is the best bread I've had outside of Europe.  

Cioppino from Sotto Mare or Tadich Grill.

House of Prime Rib where I'm pretty sure they still have nothing but Prime Rib on their menu, as it should be.  Vegetarians need not apply.  I need to go there again.

Chicken Parm and spaghetti from Original Joe's for that feeling where you need a wheelbarrow just to be able to leave the restaurant.  

Awesome. Thanks, guys. Find a world class brewery and order pizza? Well, that sounds tempting. 

Seriously. Can't go wrong with that. Oh, wow. Pizza Port is in Ocean Beach? I'll have to check it out.  
Pizza Nova isn't popular in the SD pizza discussion but it does a nice job and has 3 locations. I'm partial to high temp wood fired ovens like theirs. The basic pepperoni pie has dollops of fresh mozz and smoked provolone. This one kept me company on my last trip home. The dine in menu is really strong too. 

Going to pimp out both my city and my national heritage a bit with some hot food takes...

BELGIUM

If you haven't had fries like this from a Belgian or Dutch Friktot, you haven't had real fries.  The more mayo the better is my preference, but a good place will have dozens of different sauces to choose from, even ketchup for the unadventurous American tourist.  

Belgian cuisine is very underrated overall and misrepresented a lot in America.  Moules Frites is one classic dish you can find in the states, but others such as Waterzooi, or Stoofvlees (or Carbonnade Flamande), or Chicon au Gratin are also incredible.  I've done a France/Belgium trip 3 times, and each time I can honestly say that the Belgian food impressed me more than the French food.   It's the perfect comfort food, IMO.  

Belgian waffles and Belgian chocolate are things you see a lot of in America, but none are anywhere near what you get in Belgium, although proper Belgian waffles are starting to become more common here.   A Belgian waffle is not a bland, flimsy, batter based waffle from IHOB that you need to put syrup on.  It's a dessert pastry, often coated in a crystallized sugar, and it does not need any toppings.  You know the smell you get when you are near a good bakery?  That's the smell that permeates the air of Belgian cities from all the corner waffle shops.  They spread like Starbucks out there.  For chocolate, you have to go for pralines, which is something rarely found in America.   It's on a whole other level than most of the stuff sold as "Belgian chocolate" out here.   
Nice. I know diddly about Belgian food but it just made me hungry. I have however enjoyed mayo on home made fries since Pulp Fiction. 

It's 107 degrees at 7:30 here. I had a shrimp cocktail and salad wedge for dinner just now. I bought the shrimp at Malibu Seafood, cooked them and froze them a couple days ago, so they needed to thaw in the fridge. I'm using Trader Joe's cocktail sauce with a little extra kick of horseradish. Shaved parmesan over the iceberg wedge and drenched it in balsamic and olive oil dressing with, basil, thyme.

And for you Jules...

2014  Pouilly Fuisse Tete de Cru 
Nice wine and now is the time I would start drinking it

BELGIUM

Enough talk about fries from In N Out, Shake Shack, or whatever other crappy American fast food place.  If you haven't had fries like this from a Belgian or Dutch Friktot, you haven't had real fries.

SAN FRANCISCO

LA Taqueria has been voted the best burrito in America and it does not disappoint, but I think their tacos are just as good.  Get the carnitas burrito "dorado" style.
:thumbup:

had some great fries in Bruges and La Taqueria's burritos are insanely good.

BELGIUM

Enough talk about fries from In N Out, Shake Shack, or whatever other crappy American fast food place.  If you haven't had fries like this from a Belgian or Dutch Friktot, you haven't had real fries.  The more mayo the better is my preference, but a good place will have dozens of different sauces to choose from, even ketchup for the unadventurous American tourist.  
Sauce on the side is the pro tip. 

As is Frituur#1 in Antwerp

Speaking of Malibu Seafood, I recommend it if you're in the LA area. Gladstones and Dukes are a wasted trip with this place nearby. It's high quality, affordable, super casual (paper plates, plastic ware, picnic tables), ocean front seafood on PCH near Pepperdine. You order in a little shack that holds the order taking and pick up counters, a small amazingly high quality fish market, and the kitchen, but can't hold 7 people. You find a table in one of a half dozen different outside seating areas. Don't bother on weekends or try timing sunset. The lines become nearly as absurd as the parking. When I picked up the shrimp I ate last night I had the grilled giant squid (so good). My date always gets the sourdough chowder bowl. And the fries would make all of us happy even if tartar is a poor replacement for mayo. 

The thrice-cooked bacon at Mission Chinese in SF (and presumably their NYC outpost as well) is delicious.  It's smokey, chewy and tongue numbingly spicy.  I've made a decent approximation of it at home but substituted other vegetables for the bitter melon.
I clicked it thinking..... that sounds like something I would very much enjoy.  And I'm sure it is.

But I might have dented the underside of my desk scrolling down to the General Tso's Veal rib.  Please tell me that is as good as it looks.

Bellue's Fine Cajun Cuisine in Baton Rouge, LA.  Just across the street from the Exxon plants admin building.  It's a grimy little dump but the food is spectacular.  My favorite etouffee ever. The owner took us on a tour of his kitchen and it was like a steampunk wonderland. Very little is cooked on traditional kitchen equipment.  He has a welding shop next door and they make their own equipment. He had this hand built 400-500 gallon stainless steel tank that depending on how he hooked it up could be used as a pressurized marinade injector for turkeys or as a giant steam kettle, or as a giant pressure cooker. Probably other uses I'm forgetting as well.  I think he said he used to be the Police Chief for that area, then he retired to his welding shop, then he opened the restaurant.  And the restaurant has to be at least 30 years old.

I clicked it thinking..... that sounds like something I would very much enjoy.  And I'm sure it is.

But I might have dented the underside of my desk scrolling down to the General Tso's Veal rib.  Please tell me that is as good as it looks.
I want to go to there

Bellue's Fine Cajun Cuisine in Baton Rouge, LA.  Just across the street from the Exxon plants admin building.  It's a grimy little dump but the food is spectacular.  My favorite etouffee ever. The owner took us on a tour of his kitchen and it was like a steampunk wonderland. Very little is cooked on traditional kitchen equipment.  He has a welding shop next door and they make their own equipment. He had this hand built 400-500 gallon stainless steel tank that depending on how he hooked it up could be used as a pressurized marinade injector for turkeys or as a giant steam kettle, or as a giant pressure cooker. Probably other uses I'm forgetting as well.  I think he said he used to be the Police Chief for that area, then he retired to his welding shop, then he opened the restaurant.  And the restaurant has to be at least 30 years old.
You had me at steampunk wonderland.

Last edited by a moderator:

I didn't care for the General Tso veal rib.  The flavor of the sauce was OK; its sweetness complimented the spice and savory of the other dishes we ordered.  But I thought the texture was kind of a miss.  The outside was hard and the inside wasn't cooked to fall-off-the-bone easily.  Veal ribs don't have a lot of meat so I had to eat it with my fingers which became a bit of a wrestling match.

I'm going to New York in a week and looking forward to having a NY slice.  I have been to many places on the west coast that claim to be New York style that I enjoy and they certainly look like they're New York style.  So I'm looking forward to finding out if it's true what New Yorkers say that you cant find good NY pizza outside of New York or if it's just an arrogant New York thing.  

I'm going to New York in a week and looking forward to having a NY slice.  I have been to many places on the west coast that claim to be New York style that I enjoy and they certainly look like they're New York style.  So I'm looking forward to finding out if it's true what New Yorkers say that you cant find good NY pizza outside of New York or if it's just an arrogant New York thing.  
Its true. 

And arrogant. 

I was going to say pick one pizza place to guarantee the superiority of NY pizza in NYC, but maybe it's better to list 3 because I can eat a lot of pizza. So where?
I was told pick any 99 cent slice place that looks kind of busy and you can't go wrong.  And to not go to Sbarro's.  

I was going to say pick one pizza place to guarantee the superiority of NY pizza in NYC, but maybe it's better to list 3 because I can eat a lot of pizza. So where?
Doing some research it looks like Joe's Pizza is a good one and not too far from where I'll be so that is one I'll check out.  99 Cent Fresh or 2 Bros are both horrible sounding places but apparently are decent spots to get a dollar slice.  

I'm sure whichever one or two I go to there'll be somebody who says "Oh but you didn't go to this place, so you really didn't have NY Pizza."

I was able to visit a friend a couple of times who was stationed in Hanau.  great bier and wonderful spot.... in fact, he is now in roseville.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you are out, what are your standard go-to cocktails? 

Tonight I went Bombay Sapphire Martini. Simple as it gets. 

Users who are viewing this thread