What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Get Your Butt Back To The Office (4 Viewers)

I must be weird because I did not like WFH. I am far more motivated and productive at the office than I am at home.  During slower days or times, it is too easy to get distracted at home and get lulled into non-work mode, and then if I suddenly get busy, getting back "up" to be productive was tough.  At the office, it is easy.  Not like my office is social hour, but I like seeing people every day, chatting with co-worker friends here ands there about last night's hockey game, or the upcoming episode of a TV show, or whatever.  It helps break up the work day a bit.  

My problem with returning to the office has nothing to do with COVID and everything to do with there being no reason for me to commute in to sit at a desk 80% of the time.  I can do that from my home.  I realize not everyone is that fortunate and there's valid reasons for some face to face meetings.
This. My company is letting leases expire in every major office. We’ll rent smaller spaces to facilitate face to face meetings when needed. I thought people would feel a loss of company culture etc but overwhelmingly commute trumps all

Those of you not wanting to go back to the office must not have young kids. 
I remember March, April, and May 2020 vividly. Home with children aged 4, 7, and 9. And most of it was all on me beginning sometime in April as my wife had to return on site to work. It was awful.

Given your kids ages this won't help for the immediate future, but words alone can't describe how different it was beginning in September when the kids returned to school. There have been some hiccups and planned 'remote learning' days, but it's manageable in one-off situations. The mere thought of 13+ straight months of it makes me want to stab myself in the eye with a rusty fork though.

Office space leasing costs are way high these days. My company has leased a few floors of a swanky building across from the Tampa airport. They dumped 1 floor a few years ago and recently dumped another. There are roughly 800 people who work out of this office. They've gone to a "hoteling" approach to seating because they realize most folks can work from home (consultants) moving forward and come in only when necessary. I'm lucky in that my client was already going this way so being on site for me will be minimal moving forward. I like it. My office at home is way better than where I sit on-site with the client or a cube "rental" at my office. The break room is fully stocked and the bathrooms are way cleaner. This is a perfect setup for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately, the higher ups prefer in office which makes zero sense since we just proved we can wfh.   There are some parts that require lab  usage,  but I can do 90% of my job from here.  But the old managers are straight against it. So we shall see. I commute 1 hour one way and while it's a very easy hour it still sucks.   I've been priming for a split week shared cube situation.  Im fighting for that one so we shall see

The bolded is me. I miss grabbing lunch with coworkers. I miss having people swing by my office on their way to the bathroom (or vice versa) and talking about the kids, an upcoming vacation, how the MN Twins blew another one, etc. You can do those things while WFH, but it happens less (in my experience) when everybody is on Zoom/Teams/etc calls all day. But my commute is also < 10 minutes, so I have no problem going into the office. 
I am a VERY VERY social person, but the bolded makes me stabby.

Out of the hundreds of folks at my office there are only 2-3 I might want to hang with outside the office. I MUCH prefer hanging with real friends. 

Forced water cooler talk sucks, and I loathe people interrupting my flow to yammer about their kids that I couldn't care less about. 

I know this makes me sound like a recluse but that couldn't be farther from the truth. OVERactive social life. My phone never stops buzzing. But at work, I generally DGAF about your dog or kids. Leave me alone :lol:  

My company has no immediate plans to return to the office - at the earliest it will be in late October. Once we do go back they are encouraging people to work from home 2-3 days a week and in office 2-3 days a week. Our lease runs out in 2022 and they will either downsize office space by giving one of the floors we have or moving.

I have now grown to prefer working from home - even though I do miss some of the social aspects. That's the thing though if I do go back I only want to go back if everyone is there - which won't happen on the same days. There is really no reason that I need to go in other than better printers and "free" coffee, outside of seeing my friends/co-workers.

Out of the hundreds of folks at my office there are only 2-3 I might want to hang with outside the office. I MUCH prefer hanging with real friends. 

Forced water cooler talk sucks, and I loathe people interrupting my flow to yammer about their kids that I couldn't care less about. 

I know this makes me sound like a recluse but that couldn't be farther from the truth. OVERactive social life. My phone never stops buzzing. But at work, I generally DGAF about your dog or kids. Leave me alone :lol:  
There are a handful of people I "like" at work. And 2 of them I golf with.   Going out to lunch is the only benefit for me :)

My company has no immediate plans to return to the office - at the earliest it will be in late October. Once we do go back they are encouraging people to work from home 2-3 days a week and in office 2-3 days a week.
My company is in-line with this.  Another major factor for us is talent and talent retention.  For high-performers working from home at a high level of productivity for the last year, geographic mobility has become a selling point.  We've had several high-talent folks simply up and move during COVID.  One had plans to return (moved in with family to swap houses without timelines), but another moved from NJ to Utah and basically said, "I'll take my chances on whether you'll let me do my job remote once we return to work - if not, I'll find another job."  

There is going to be a growing expectation of flexible work environments.  Companies who are strict about 5-day in-office work weeks will end up seeing it as a negative in their ability to acquire top talent.  Not saying they can't/won't...but all things equal, they're at a disadvantage.  

Our higher-ups all want to be in the office too.  Most live very close to work, or have drivers, so commute isn't an issue.  With that said, we fortunately have a CEO/CFO who are agile enough to realize that what they want has major consequences and they are erring on the side of flexibility long-term.

My company is in-line with this.  Another major factor for us is talent and talent retention.  For high-performers working from home at a high level of productivity for the last year, geographic mobility has become a selling point.  We've had several high-talent folks simply up and move during COVID.  One had plans to return (moved in with family to swap houses without timelines), but another moved from NJ to Utah and basically said, "I'll take my chances on whether you'll let me do my job remote once we return to work - if not, I'll find another job."  

There is going to be a growing expectation of flexible work environments.  Companies who are strict about 5-day in-office work weeks will end up seeing it as a negative in their ability to acquire top talent.  Not saying they can't/won't...but all things equal, they're at a disadvantage.  

Our higher-ups all want to be in the office too.  Most live very close to work, or have drivers, so commute isn't an issue.  With that said, we fortunately have a CEO/CFO who are agile enough to realize that what they want has major consequences and they are erring on the side of flexibility long-term.
YES.

Ive been offered what would be a 20% raise to move to another company. 

Turned it down because they are an "at your desk 8-5" company. #### that. double my salary and I MIGHT consider. 

During COVID I've Worked from:

- Beaches of Costa Rica for 6 weeks
- Hot Springs, AR for a week.
- My folks place on water in Tampa for a couple weeks and going back in a month or two. 
- Very early stages of planning a month or so in Thailand or Vietnam

Or.... be chained to a desk 8-5 every weekday except 10 or 15 days a year when the crown permits me to travel? 

Eat a d##k. 😂

With all due respect, you need to be in an office 100% of the time.  We NEED your pranks. 

You have set a level of expectation, and in these dark times we need you on that wall.  GET BACK TO THE OFFICE YOU INSENSITIVE NINNY. 

What better way to celebrate Independence Day than by spending your only long weekend of the summer dreading going back to the office on Tuesday.  It's just a total jerk move. 
Well, now that you point that out, we did get acquired by a company based in the UK a couple years ago - might be that the date was done intentionally to get back at us rebellious Americans!

My work has assigned each role a % of WFH: 0%, 25%, 75% (I'm in this group) and 100%. It's a pretty even mix, but most managers are either 75% or 100% WFH.

The company has committed to eliminating cubes and offices for everyone except the BU president.  Instead they are putting $30m into renovating the buildings (company owned for 100 years). New seating will focus on team "work cells".  These will seek to sit the project teams close together and be flexible to accommodate various sized teams.

I must be weird because I did not like WFH. I am far more motivated and productive at the office than I am at home.  During slower days or times, it is too easy to get distracted at home and get lulled into non-work mode, and then if I suddenly get busy, getting back "up" to be productive was tough.  At the office, it is easy.  Not like my office is social hour, but I like seeing people every day, chatting with co-worker friends here ands there about last night's hockey game, or the upcoming episode of a TV show, or whatever.  It helps break up the work day a bit.  
I agree it can be tougher to be self motivated.  However, my job has been extremely busy since we started WFH, so staying work busy has not been an issue. 

I would much rather have the freedom to choose exactly what I want to do to break up with work day with what is in my house over a bunch of people who do not interest me (I'm an introvert, so social interaction outside of my immediate family and close friends is not important to me).

With all due respect, you need to be in an office 100% of the time.  We NEED your pranks. 

You have set a level of expectation, and in these dark times we need you on that wall.  GET BACK TO THE OFFICE YOU INSENSITIVE NINNY. 
I'm slowly evolving my tactics.  I've had a few smaller things since COVID started - more jokes than pranks, but still fun.  I can tell you that custom bumper-stickers and unsolicited packages are winners...I'll try and update the long-dead thread at some point.

YES.

Ive been offered what would be a 20% raise to move to another company. 

Turned it down because they are an "at your desk 8-5" company. #### that. double my salary and I MIGHT consider. 

During COVID I've Worked from:

- Beaches of Costa Rica for 6 weeks
- Hot Springs, AR for a week.
- My folks place on water in Tampa for a couple weeks and going back in a month or two. 
- Very early stages of planning a month or so in Thailand or Vietnam

Or.... be chained to a desk 8-5 every weekday except 10 or 15 days a year when the crown permits me to travel? 

Eat a d##k. 😂
Yep - My parents bought a house on the bay about 2 hours south of where I am in NJ - Once they're settled, I fully plan on working weeks at a time from there during the summer when the kids are out of school.  That wouldn't be an option in the "old world."

Yep - My parents bought a house on the bay about 2 hours south of where I am in NJ - Once they're settled, I fully plan on working weeks at a time from there during the summer when the kids are out of school.  That wouldn't be an option in the "old world."
Awesome! 

All of our parents are aging, if we're lucky enough to still have them... we need to spend time with them while we can.

This is the way. 

Ha! That's fair. Maybe my problem is I don't have a social life so work is the only place I'd get one. But I'm not also swinging by John Doe's office to chat if I don't work reasonably closely with him. I work pretty closely with 3-4 other attorneys and 3-4 paralegals and I find it more enjoyable to work with people I know and like. If there is something I really need to get done, I close my office door or I'll tell you that now is not a good time. 

There was a time when I was fresh out undergrad and I heads down all the time just plugging through work. The more I finished the more ended up on my plate. Then one day the head of my department stopped by and said something to the effect of "You don't have to be a robot. It's okay to leave something for tomorrow because there is always more work to do. Let's go grab lunch." I think that really stuck. Now, I'd rather take 15 minutes here and there to talk to people. If that means I get slightly less done during the day, so be it. I'm not a doctor, I'm not saving lives, my job just isn't that important that I can't afford to have some human interaction.  

Those of you not wanting to go back to the office must not have young kids. 
:oldunsure:

For sure. I have 4 kids under the age of 6. I can't imagine a worse working condition. 
What's one more? 

Truthfully, the only problem I've had with WFH is when my 12 and 10yo sons are home. They love getting on each other's nerves. Which then gets on mine. 

4 under 6 would be horrible. I had 4 under 8 and fled the country. The hottest spot in Afghanistan was more peaceful.

Ha! That's fair. Maybe my problem is I don't have a social life so work is the only place I'd get one. But I'm not also swinging by John Doe's office to chat if I don't work reasonably closely with him. I work pretty closely with 3-4 other attorneys and 3-4 paralegals and I find it more enjoyable to work with people I know and like. If there is something I really need to get done, I close my office door or I'll tell you that now is not a good time. 

There was a time when I was fresh out undergrad and I heads down all the time just plugging through work. The more I finished the more ended up on my plate. Then one day the head of my department stopped by and said something to the effect of "You don't have to be a robot. It's okay to leave something for tomorrow because there is always more work to do. Let's go grab lunch." I think that really stuck. Now, I'd rather take 15 minutes here and there to talk to people. If that means I get slightly less done during the day, so be it. I'm not a doctor, I'm not saving lives, my job just isn't that important that I can't afford to have some human interaction.  
Well said. 

I try to remember, if I left work, they'd replace me in a month. Then would they remember the guy who got #### done or a decent human being who actually got along with people? 

In short, what's your legacy? 

My problem with returning to the office has nothing to do with COVID and everything to do with there being no reason for me to commute in to sit at a desk 80% of the time.  I can do that from my home.  I realize not everyone is that fortunate and there's valid reasons for some fact to face meetings.
Kinda the opposite here. If I'm working from home, that's one less room in the house available for my family's general use. Unless my employer is paying to rent office space in my house, I'd rather work in their office space.

Granted, my "commute" is four minutes, or three if the light's green.

I do not. 

I believe that, at least for some people, the social aspects of work are important enough to warrant going into the office. Humans are social creatures. My wife and I have both commented that we feel less connected to work when we're not in person. Maybe that's not important to some/many people, and I'm not saying everybody needs to go in.  But I enjoy my job more and am more motivated when I have the social aspect rather than being in my kitchen by myself. 
I am completely in agreement with this.  It's important for my mental health.

Our company will be mixed - some functions absolutely need to be done on site and can't be WFH (field, etc. and some critical operations), but many others can be WFH. My team was already spread across 4 locations, so most of our meetings were already virtual with maybe once a month in person meetings, and we pretty much were told pre-pandemic we only had to come in to our physical offices if we had a meeting located there that required our presence, otherwise we could work from home, so I was already only going in on average once a week. Once offices start opening back up, it sounds like they will have our team (and any others like it) be able to be WFH and only come in when necessary for meetings, with an increase in available hotel spaces as opposed to assigned work stations for those types of employees. Employees that will be office based will still have assigned work stations.

And one big bonus is that my management is very much in the camp of just get your work done, they don't really mind when it gets done, and they support family first, so if my son has a volleyball game at 3, they support me logging off and going to that, as they know that if there is something that needs to get done, I'll jump back on later that day. For me that is a trade off I'm very happy to take.

Wfh I can avoid the people with inane questions or fake emergencies much easier. Stress level is way down from lack of Jack holes popping in my cube with useless questions

Perfect solution.... 
A) People who want to work from home, do it. 
B) People who want to work from the office, do it (once it's safe.. office dependent). 

I'll work elsewhere if they start making ME go to the office to give Group B someone to talk to. :lol:  

Pretty sure my company's campus is desperate for more real estate and would love to bulldoze some of our old office buildings for more profitable usage of the space. Too bad we just hired Frank Gehry to build us a new office building on the other side of the campus. I'm sure they'll figure out some kind of shared-space solution to maximize what they own.

I've been wfh for over 12 years now.  Before covid I travelled once-twice a month, and would usually be in an office here and there - once or twice a month in our bay area office, and once a quarter in our east coast HQ for a few days.  But I can't really see ever going back to a job that required being in the office.

A key for me is having a dedicated office space, as it's important to be able to "leave the office" at the end of the day.  For a few years I actually rented a small office 2 miles from my place because I didn't have that separate space at home, which kind of was the best of both worlds - some social interaction, a bunch of coffee shops and cafes around, but I went in when I wanted to.

I've been wfh for over 12 years now.  Before covid I travelled once-twice a month, and would usually be in an office here and there - once or twice a month in our bay area office, and once a quarter in our east coast HQ for a few days.  But I can't really see ever going back to a job that required being in the office.

A key for me is having a dedicated office space, as it's important to be able to "leave the office" at the end of the day.  For a few years I actually rented a small office 2 miles from my place because I didn't have that separate space at home, which kind of was the best of both worlds - some social interaction, a bunch of coffee shops and cafes around, but I went in when I wanted to.
I personally struggled with this when I was working mainly from home at the peak of Covid. I found myself way less productive throughout normal work hours (due to other home distractions) and I'd then work well past the time I intended to. Wasn't good and I couldn't find the "break." 

It seems I can do my job perfectly well from home - most of my calls are with design teams in India anyway.

However, I've been in to the office three times over the past year and stopped down at the manufacturing floor each time... and twice, I've caught problems the day before they were unfixable (weld problem just before paint once, a missing component just before shipment the other time).

So... someone needs to be checking in.  I'm hoping for a one-day-per-week setup at the office.

Ghost Rider said:
Amen. This is me too

I feel like I will go back sometime in June or July with some form of hybrid option.  Probably go in 3-4 days per week.  I am sure there will be some where I go everyday, and others where I am in less.  I always had flexibility, but maybe only worked from home a day or two per month on average.  I travel though too.  

Our staff has been more productive since the start of WFH. We are now fully-committed and downsized the office about 60%. I like it but I have the luxury of bouncing back and forth between home and a family lake house. And can travel at will. Which is everything, because I get stir crazy in a hurry being in the same house all day everyday.

I've been in office since starting here last June.  We have 3 longer term employees that have been WFH 95% of the time since last March.  In office usually has between 3-5 people in here every day.

I got COVID in December and worked from home for my 10 day quarantine period.  I hated it, and getting work done was a struggle.  However, I believe that is mainly due to my desk/computer setups:

• At the office I have 3 large monitors, speakers, a large spacious desk, my own office and a nice office chair.
  • At home I had a laptop and one extra monitor on a card table with a subpar chair in what is essentially my son's gaming room. 
Everything took longer (plus I was sick with COVID and had some minor symptoms for 3-4 days).  I couldn't wait to get back into my office and haven't worked from home a single day since.

WFH would be fine if my kid was in school and wasn't doing virtual.  I'm firmly in the "rather be in the office" camp, I'm way more productive there.  Jenny from down the hall and her stories about her kids are less of a distraction than seventy-three "Daddy look what I colored Daddy can you get me some juice Daddy I'm hungry can I have a banana Daddy can you come get this bug..." interruptions all day long

Garrett said:
People working at home are also working.
True, though I can’t do electrical work at my current job from my house, since it’s 50 miles one way, and my arms aren’t that long. 

Our staff has been more productive since the start of WFH. We are now fully-committed and downsized the office about 60%. I like it but I have the luxury of bouncing back and forth between home and a family lake house. And can travel at will. Which is everything, because I get stir crazy in a hurry being in the same house all day everyday.
With our youngest about to start college, we are going to be looking to downsizing in the next few years.  Being able to permanently WFH would be awesome, as we could get a house a little further out from the cities on a lake, and I wouldn't have to worry about the commute.

I've been in office since starting here last June.  We have 3 longer term employees that have been WFH 95% of the time since last March.  In office usually has between 3-5 people in here every day.

I got COVID in December and worked from home for my 10 day quarantine period.  I hated it, and getting work done was a struggle.  However, I believe that is mainly due to my desk/computer setups:

• At the office I have 3 large monitors, speakers, a large spacious desk, my own office and a nice office chair.
  • At home I had a laptop and one extra monitor on a card table with a subpar chair in what is essentially my son's gaming room. 
Everything took longer (plus I was sick with COVID and had some minor symptoms for 3-4 days).  I couldn't wait to get back into my office and haven't worked from home a single day since.
Last March 10 or so, I took my two office monitors and my nice Herman Miller chair (I own it, didn't like the office chairs) home when the pandemic got real, and I'm really glad I did that.  I'm in the basement with a space heater, but we had finished that section of the basement, and I rescued an old desk with a keyboard tray... I think my home setup is sustainable.  It does make a big difference to have the right gear, though - we bought a second monitor for my wife and she also got a Herman Miller chair - we're happy we jumped on that stuff right away, because making do with a crappy setup gets you into physical therapy pretty quickly.

I think there will be some companies push for back to the office full time until the resistance starts and they start losing out on good hires or they have to increase compensation to compete. It's hard to hire good people right now.
I had a headhunter call recently, and I was just starting my usual spiel about not being willing to relocate, when I realized that might not matter any more... maybe things get a lot more national and there's a larger pool to pull from.

I guess the ideal setup would be to work for a California company getting their salary while living in the midwest/south at their cost of living.  Companies that pay based on comps in their state might need to get smarter about that if we don't have to go to the office and can live in Hawaii.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/27/tensions-rise-as-return-to-work-plans-gain-steam.html

The back half of this year will be interesting.  I think the prevailing thought here (FFA) last year was that we were going to see a huge shift permanently to WFH and companies shuttering offices.  I'm reading more and more articles that are saying that we'll trend back more towards how unemployment used to be rather than WFH being the new normal.  Given the demographics here I suspect we'll have more WFH folks.  It's going to be interesting to see how employers address the push back they get from their employees.
My director is already (and has been) #####ing about people not being in the office. He loves the white-boarding, hall way conversations. I don't really disagree, but the pandemic should have inspired confidence that my team / organization can do their jobs remotely with little downside. Saying that, it's sort of ironic that my boss wants the office to return, etc. as the company, including my organization, continue to hire only in India as associates in the US leave.

I was WFH three years before COVID so for me, there was no effect from a work standpoint. Our kids are all fully grown and long out of the house. I have an office, so I'm not stuck in the kitchen or anything, and it makes it easy to separate work from home life. I didn't even have a desk on campus. If I wanted to go in, I had to find an empty cubicle or sit in the cafeteria. My company was a very early adopter of WFH. Since then, they've seen how effective most people can be working from home and have started to shirk a lot of office space. I think only people that want to come back to the office will do so. I doubt much of any will "have to."

That being said, I spent a lot of time contemplating retirement in March once we got our annual bonus. The only reason I stayed was because I was offered a retention bonus to stay another year. And since we were still pretty much in COVID restricted times, I thought what the heck. But, if they told me I had to go back to the office, I'd forfeit the bonus and retire at the end of the day. And my commute is 2.2 miles.

Even less likely to go back after learning I have several coworkers that are refusing to get vaccinated. Hopefully the company will require vaccines to be able to go into the office, but I doubt it...

Even less likely to go back after learning I have several coworkers that are refusing to get vaccinated. Hopefully the company will require vaccines to be able to go into the office, but I doubt it...
If you have any links as to why this would matter to your health personally, please share.  I would love to require masks for non-vaccinated but can't find any good reason.

I haven't missed a single day of work.  Our government client counterparts on the other hand, it's a ghost town and bunch of Teams meetings.  They will drag this thing on for as long as they possible can I'm sure.  
We had a two week shutdown last March and our govt clients, while concerned about the pandemic, were much more interested in getting results out of us.  Last year was nutballs busy.  I pushed 2900hrs.  This year much more sedate so far.  In about 1/2 the time, which is fine for me.

The company I work for (based in NJ) announced that starting June 4, anyone who is vaccinated and wants to come into the office can do so without wearing a mask. It will be completely optional during the summer. A more formal WFH/office dynamic will be implemented in the fall but it's still being developed and we have no idea yet what it will look like. Some (vaccinated) people have begun traveling to in-person conferences. I don't anticipate that I will until the fall at the earliest. 

I work for a medical publishing/education company, so we are likely 100% vaccinated or close to it. People who don't trust/believe in science generally aren't interested in working at a place like ours. 

Users who are viewing this thread