What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Getcha passports ready - the middle-aged dummies are going to the British Isles! Top 31 song countdown. (2 Viewers)

Legit OMG that All The Way From Memphis is new to you. :ENVY:

Mott The Hoople and Ian Hunter are spots I've known are blind, but never was apt to listen to it. This track sounds like New York Dolls if the Dolls lost their rawer edge and went fully glam instead of dirtier city crossdress.

That sax solo. Sounds like the Dolls or Mott took note of each other. "Human Being" sounds a lot like it, only this sax solo is screechier and cooler (sorry, krista!)

Mott The Hoople and Ian Hunter are spots I've known are blind, but never was apt to listen to it. This track sounds like New York Dolls if the Dolls lost their rawer edge and went fully glam instead of dirtier city crossdress.

That sax solo. Sounds like the Dolls or Mott took note of each other. "Human Being" sounds a lot like it, only this sax solo is screechier and cooler (sorry, krista!)
Hoping for you that a we see a certain combo pick soon. It's 10/10.

Your Mott the Hoople is my Fugazi, I suspect.

Except I (shhhh!) don't really love Fugazi that much anymore. Too serious. For serious people with serious thoughts and serious gripes.

Yeah it's a mighty long way down rock 'n' roll
From the Liverpool docks to the Hollywood bowl

Whoops. Hadn't checked the full lyrics. Not really a safe space in 2023. I guess it was fifty years ago. I can guarantee Fugazi wouldn't have done that. So there are trade-offs, I suppose.

"Elektrobank" - Chemical Brothers

The Chemical Brothers were getting selected, so I picked the one with the Keith Murray vocal sample. Not sure why I picked this one, but once you get past a little bit of the intro, it settles into big beat bliss.Yeah, yeah, you know it.

Who is dis doin' this synthetic type of alpha beta psychedelic funkin'?

Song of the tourney so far that’s been new to me

All The Way From Memphis - Mott The Hoople

I am still gobsmacked that this song is new to you. Hopefully you check out the Mott and the Hoople albums. :hifive:

A lot of bands peak at the beginning of their careers but Mott's picked up steam as they went along and Hunter sharpened his songwriting chops. Their early records have a bunch of covers and that weird Guy Stevens production. There's also a few too many Mick Ralphs songs but that's personal opinion. It was only toward the end that their albums featured all original songs and Ralphs was out the door shortly thereafter to form Bad Company

Not feeling creative tonight to write teasers, so I'll just give 'em straight up*:

Two of our Big 3 get a double-up tomorrow, while the third gets a triple-up.
Four other artists get a double-up - three bands and a solo artist.
We see one of those songs again.
My last remaining unselected artist, other than the two for whom I will be the only votes, gets selected.

*Paula Abdul not eligible

Guy Stevens

What is a characteristic of his productions, or did he change? Just curious.

From what I've read, Stevens was a "vibes" producer rather than a studio technician. He was a character who sort of fancied himself as an English Phil Spector.

The first two Mott albums have always sounded like crap to me. Supposedly The Clash loved working with Stevens but I credit engineer Bill Price (who also twiddled the knobs on Never Mind the Bollocks) for the live and crisp sound of London Calling.

Baby Blue -- Badfinger (AAABatteries)
Two words: Breaking Bad

This absolutely played a role in me picking it. I like several their songs so they were in contention for getting picked as an artist and then it was a foregone conclusion that this would be the song. The usage of this song in context of the show is maybe the greatest I've ever seen and the lyrics almost sound like it was written just for this usage.

Guess I got what I deserve
The special love I have for you
My baby blue
All the days became so long
Guess that's all I have to say
Just one thing, before I go
Take good care, baby let me know, let it grow

I always wondered if Gilligan made the meth blue just to use this song in the finale.

Not feeling creative tonight to write teasers, so I'll just give 'em straight up*:

Two of our Big 3 get a double-up tomorrow, while the third gets a triple-up.
Four other artists get a double-up - three bands and a solo artist.
We see one of those songs again.
My last remaining unselected artist, other than the two for whom I will be the only votes, gets selected.

*Paula Abdul not eligible
You seem awesome.

Even though there were plenty of new songs, today my tastes favored (ha?) a couple of songs with earlier votes. So also thumbs up to DrIanMalcolm (True) and simsarge (Eye in the Sky) for some past picks. And I guess those who take these songs in the future, since I’m going to try not to double up.

#20s
Recognized by title alone: 27
Sounded familiar: 2 (Homicide & Let Her Go)
Knew from this countdown: 1
Didn't know: 13

Selected Favorites:
You Really Got Me (Sullie)
True (Andy Dufrense)
Total Eclipse of the Heart (Mrs. Rannous) - Could get my “special shout out”, but I’ll put it here.
Eye in the Sky (falguy)
Little Willy (ditkaburgers)

Some songs I didn't know that I ended up liking:
Paper Sun (Binky)
Local Boy in the Photograph (titusbramble)
Crank Resolutions (Eephus)
She Said (Mrs. Eephus)

OMG this Zebra song. Who picked this again?
:sadbanana: or :hifive: ?

Dude it's AWESOME
Check out this "campfire" acoustic version Zebra singer Randy Jackson did on a NY talk show in 2018. Just him and his 12-string. He even did the crescendo and the outro sans drums and keys.

If I saw somebody whip THAT out at an open-mike night somewhere, I'd be doing this.

Rules. I still can't believe I hadn't heard this song before, but I feel like I've known it all my life.

Based on today's update, we finally have a leader in this thing - Chaos34 at 4 points - Top Song for 2, Top Artist, and 1 out of 7 on selected bands:

Maybe today will be the day I finally calculate who wins this.

I did it! I really really did it!

So...the first tiebreaker still left me with a tie. As a result, I'm entering a second tiebreaker, which will be who gets the most points for the song named for the final question of the contest (highest ranking non-Big-Three song). I haven't looked to see what the finalists took for that question, so god forbid we still have a tie.

Users who are viewing this thread