What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Getcha passports ready - the middle-aged dummies are going to the British Isles! Top 31 song countdown. (1 Viewer)

Ralphs was out the door shortly thereafter to form Bad Company
I guess it worked out for him for a bit, though Bad Company wasn't nearly as interesting as Mott was. Rodgers was a great singer, but the music was a perfect cure for insomnia. I don't mind a BC record coming on every once in a while, but there's no way I could listen to an entire album anymore - too much sludge.

OMG this Zebra song. Who picked this again?
:sadbanana: or :hifive: ?

Dude it's AWESOME
Check out this "campfire" acoustic version Zebra singer Randy Jackson did on a NY talk show in 2018. Just him and his 12-string. He even did the crescendo and the outro sans drums and keys.

If I saw somebody whip THAT out at an open-mike night somewhere, I'd be doing this.

Rules. I still can't believe I hadn't heard this song before, but I feel like I've known it all my life.
You may be more familiar with their initial song Tell Me What You Want. They kind of fell off after their debut, but Bears from their second album got a bit of radio/MTV airplay as well.

Don Quixote:

Gloria - Them
(duplicate - second vote)
I don’t think I’ve heard the version of this song included in the Spotify playlist — it looks like that is the original B side single; I was just familiar with album version. Fine enough, but I do prefer the album version with things kicked up a notch.

I probably could have gone a dozen different ways with a Them / Van Morrison pick. Some days I just feel like screaming Gloria.
Yeah what is that? This is post Van Morrison, not sure who the lead singer is. It’s definitely inferior.

Oof, it's awful. @Hawks64 , would you mind replacing with this? Thanks!
Done.

SIDE - TRAVIS @MAC_32 A rarity for me - the lyrics here stood out and is what sucked me in tonight.
Huh...likewise. And from someone that absorbs their music in a similar manner. I've probably mentioned it before but I'm generally sound first, second, third, etc. Lyrics are almost always the last piece of the puzzle, but not until some time after my attention has been grabbed and I've hit the heart. But not with this song. There were 2 songs on my mind for my Travis selection (the other's not been shared yet) and when I was reminded of this element of Side that's how I made my decision.

Don Quixote:

Gloria - Them
I don’t think I’ve heard the version of this song included in the Spotify playlist — it looks like that is the original B side single; I was just familiar with album version. Fine enough, but I do prefer the album version with things kicked up a notch.

I probably could have gone a dozen different ways with a Them / Van Morrison pick. Some days I just feel like screaming Gloria.
I've listened to cover versions of this song before. They're...fine. For no good reason I never sought out the original. That was my first listen. And now I understand why so many covered it.

Told y'all I had a Van Morrison blind spot.

I guess it worked out for him for a bit, though Bad Company wasn't nearly as interesting as Mott was. Rodgers was a great singer, but the music was a perfect cure for insomnia. I don't mind a BC record coming on every once in a while, but there's no way I could listen to an entire album anymore - too much sludge.
Are sludge songs their slow ones? I listened to a BC album all the way through recently when they were brought up. It was their debut album, which doesn't have a bad song on it. The slow songs have always been my favorites on the album. Without saying their names, they are songs 3, 4, 6, and 8. They are slow soulful/bluesy ballads, with the last being acoustic, and song 4 has a gospel feel to it. Those songs do have a late night feel to them, but I love stuff like that. I wouldn't be surprised if a specific one of those songs is on zam's list. I also like song 2 a lot, but it is a faster bluesy song. Tim said something about Rodgers' greatest vocal song was on All Right Now, but his vocals are just as good on some of the songs on this album. He always sounded great.

"Father Figure" by George Michael rollicking through my head tonight. I don't remember who picked it, but it came out of nowhere to have a firm plant -- along with Mott The Hoople -- in my headspace.
:hey:
I had a few GM songs I was trying to pick from and this one stuck in my head long after my listening session. A very simplistic tune but I love his breathy vocal.

I figured it would be one of the few songs on my list not selected by anyone else.

Mrs. Rannous: Total Eclipse Of The Heart - Bonnie Tyler
A little bit of Power Ballad goes a long way for me and this is much more than a little bit. But the song is undeniably a top shelf example of the musical form. I don't remember it going on for seven minutes.
It's a Jim Steinman song. That's short for him. :laugh:

Excessive, yes. Over-the-top, absolutely. But I wouldn't say it's too long. It's either building or peaking for almost all of it and then it recedes with an absolutely lovely piano outro.
There's a very thin line between a spectacular power ballad and auto skip. I think most fall on the wrong side of that line, but this one threads it absolutely perfectly - all the way through the unnecessary minute plus long outro.

Great White should have covered that Mott song instead of covering Hunter's "Once Bitten, Twice Shy." That way when krista4 suggested the Memphis category in G4 instead of wondering about the idea, I would have had the song offhand. I wonder if any of us picked it regardless.

Yes, I do listen to the picks often, but can't get to all of them.
I picked "All the Way from Memphis" in Genrepalooza for our Saxy Time channel.

The WTF can't I remember this song award goes to @krista4 . Every damn time I see the title, I think "huh, what's this?" and every time - oh, yeah I love this song. Whiter Shade of Pale is a great track
:yes:

Exact same thing just happened to me. But now I know!

Also, Mrs. MAC thanks @Chaz McNulty for getting Passenger's Let Her Go back into her world. I didn't recognize it nor did it really interest me beyond background noise, but different strokes for different folks, right.

Are sludge songs their slow ones? I listened to a BC album all the way through recently when they were brought up. It was their debut album, which doesn't have a bad song on it. The slow songs have always been my favorites on the album. Without saying their names, they are songs 3, 4, 6, and 8. They are slow soulful/bluesy ballads, with the last being acoustic, and song 4 has a gospel feel to it. Those songs do have a late night feel to them, but I love stuff like that. I wouldn't be surprised if a specific one of those songs is on zam's list. I also like song 2 a lot, but it is a faster bluesy song. Tim said something about Rodgers' greatest vocal song was on All Right Now, but his vocals are just as good on some of the songs on this album. He always sounded great.
No, I'm not talking about their ballads. The songs that are supposed to be up-tempo sound like they are played through 3 miles of mud - they make Vanilla Fudge sound like James Brown or the Ramones.

Agreed. BC's first album is impeccable, and it's not fair to judge it in light of what they and similar bands did afterward.

They were very inconsistent (at best) after that.

Thirteen-Point Selections:

Pip’s Invitation:

Fools Gold (long version that was a bonus track on the S/T album) - The Stone Roses
(new song)

New Binky the Doormat:

10538 Overture - Electric Light Orchestra
(new song)

worrierking:

Changes - David Bowie
(new song)

titusbramble:

A Design For Life - Manic Street Preachers
(new artist)

simey:

Burn Down The Mission (live In Australia 1986) - Elton John
(new song)

Just Win Baby:

Crossroads – Cream
(new song)

Don Quixote:

Love Will Tear Us Apart - Joy Division
(new song)

MAC_32:

Enjoy The Silence - Depeche Mode
(duplicate – second vote)

timschochet:

Starman – David Bowie

Yankee23Fan:

While My Guitar Gently Weeps - The Beatles
(new song)

Hawks64:

I Will Wait – Mumford & Sons
(new song)

jwb:

Baker Street - Gerry Rafferty
(duplicate – third vote)

DrIanMalcolm:

In God's Country - U2

Dr. Octopus:

More Than This - Roxy Music

KarmaPolice:

Freelance Fiend - Leaf Hound
(new artist)

shuke:

Catch The Sun - Doves
(new artist)

Manster:

Locomotive Breath - Jethro Tull

scorchy:

Dead Flowers - The Rolling Stones
(new song)

Sullie:

Der Kommissar - After The Fire
(new artist)

Andy Dufresne:

Pictures Of You - The Cure
(new song)

Mister CIA:

30 Days In The Hole - Humble Pie
(new artist)

Mrs. Rannous:

Personal Jesus - Depeche Mode

higgins:

Abacab - Genesis
(new song)

The Dreaded Marco:

Bitter Sweet Symphony - The Verve
(duplicate - seventh vote)

simsarge:

Ballroom Blitz – Sweet
(duplicate – third vote)

Mt. Man:

Eyes Without A Face - Billy Idol
(new song)

landrys hat:

She's A Rainbow - The Rolling Stones

Westerberg:

Don't Look Back In Anger - Oasis

Eephus:

Fox On The Run – Sweet

rockaction:

Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
(new song)

falguy:

Whole Lotta Love - Led Zeppelin
(new song)

Hov34:

Your Love – The Outfield

zamboni:

If I Needed Someone - The Beatles
(new song)

Doug B:

Let It Bleed - The Rolling Stones
(new song)

Ilov80s:

Shadowplay - Joy Division
(new song)

Val Rannous:

Would I Lie To You - The Eurythmics

Chaos34:

Go! - Tones on Tail
(new artist)

Chaz McNulty:

I Melt With You - Modern English

Zegras11:

Rock And Roll - Led Zeppelin
(new song)

AAABatteries:

Father And Son - Cat Stevens

Oliver Humanzee:

Cherry Red - The Groundhogs
(new artist)

Mrs. Eephus:

One In Ten - UB40
(new artist)

ditkaburgers:

Don't Start Now - Dua Lipa
(new artist)

cosjobs:

All The Young Dudes - Mott the Hoople
(duplicate – third vote)

krista4:

How We Operate – Gomez
(new song)

If you’re taking about that birdy song, I didn’t draft it. Forgot about these guys, but not sure it would have made this list.

Steve Hyden ranks every McCartney studio album , excluding live records and that Oratorio thing he did. He also blasts Jann Wenner several times, which is always a plus in my book.

Eephus sent me this about a week ago, and even though I strenuously object to his rankings, I thought it was well done. He's a great writer and somehow employs his armchair psychology in a fashion that's illuminating rather than irritating. Any list that doesn't have Press to Play at the bottom is immediately suspect, though, and when I got to Flaming Pie at #18 I knew we weren't going to agree on much. He omitted the Fireman records, too.

@Chaos34 is in Death Valley today looking for UFOs, so he sent me a write-up of his selection.

Go!

Lots of cowbell here. This is more Daniel Ash (and before he put down his Tele). He formed Tones on Tail while still a member of Bauhaus. It was a side project that produced one album, Pop. It's a fun listen start to finish. Go!, originally a b-side, ended up getting the most play. I linked a vid instead of spotty for this one because that's how I most enjoy it. As great as my college memories are, I was poor. It was the half-decade after college I remember most fondly. Several paychecks into a corporate career with bennies you wouldn't believe, I finally bought myself a car. I was nearly 3 years without one. It was a 72 Triumph TR6 cuz I was an idiot. Top down, surfboard buckled in next to me, cash in pocket, driving along the ocean in Redondo Beach to a rich surfer buddy's place - this is the music. For Ash it best represents his rock/dance fusion. For me it represents the decadence of LA in the 80s and enjoying every minute of it.

Living it up.
It's a big kick
It's good for you
Watch the big freeze slip
Crack the jackpot
get out of control
If you put yourself down
You'll never win
get out of that hole
Keep your mind open
your head up
You'll never ever get old
Go!

"Wish You Were Here" - Pink Floyd

How can you argue with lyrics like this?

This one goes out, KROC/KROQ style, to all those friends past and present that once shared a moment of a bittersweet life together...

How I wish - how I wish you were here
We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl year after year
Running over the same old ground
What have we found
Same old fears
Wish you were here

Last edited:
My song today is "How We Operate" by Gomez. I mentioned earlier that I was happy to see "See The World" selected, because it had been my other choice, and I did have a helluva time deciding between that song and this one. Settled on this one because most of my list is very mellow in the "See The World" vein. I love the vocal in this song, which sounds to me like Eddie Vedder if he could sing. (I love Eddie, so calm down, PJ fans.) Also a big fan of the build.

I've seen Gomez a couple of times, the most fun one being at Bonnaroo in 2006. Rented an RV with an ex-boyfriend, and we drove down from Chicago, picking up my step-cousin Aaron in Kentucky along the way. It was the only time in our lives that Aaron and I have spent time together without the rest of the fam, so it's a special memory for that reason. It's also special for a lot of other memories, such as finding out when we arrived that they wouldn't allow glass bottles, so we poured out all of our water and transferred the wine into the plastic water bottles while security watched (photo credit: Aaron). Great times. And Gomez put on a fantastic show.

This one goes out, KROC style, to all those friends past and present that once shared a moment of a bittersweet life together...

What have we found
Same old fears
Wish you were here
Theres a reason this song is overplayed on classic rock radio......you simply cannot, not sing along. It is objectively a beautiful song.

I had a buddy who died in a car wreck a year or so out of high school. The kid was goin places. Wish You Were Here was played at his funeral.......before it started there was not a dry eye in the place.....after it started, the faucets really opened up. I still think of him every time I hear it.

Pip’s Invitation:

Fools Gold (long version that was a bonus track on the S/T album) - The Stone Roses
(new song)

A. The editor in me REALLY wants to put an apostrophe in there. But the band and record company didn't, so I can't.

B. The other contemporary British album that I discovered when I visited my high school buddy in college was the first Stone Roses disc. And this was the last track on the CD, so it was part of the US version of the record even then (it does not appear on the first edition of the album). The whole thing captivated me, but especially Fools Gold, which blended genres -- psychedelia, funk and techno, for starters -- that I did not think it was possible to mix. The sonic blend is captivating and it unveils something new for me every time I listen to it.

This one goes out, KROC style, to all those friends past and present that once shared a moment of a bittersweet life together...

What have we found
Same old fears
Wish you were here
Theres a reason this song is overplayed on classic rock radio......you simply cannot, not sing along. It is objectively a beautiful song.

I had a buddy who died in a car wreck a year or so out of high school. The kid was goin places. Wish You Were Here was played at his funeral.......before it started there was not a dry eye in the place.....after it started, the faucets really opened up. I still think of him every time I hear it.
Wish You Were Here is nearly six minutes long, and I wish it would be longer, it's so good. They only sing the chorus twice. Should have kept going.

Pip’s Invitation:

(new song)

A. The editor in me REALLY wants to put an apostrophe in there. But the band and record company didn't, so I can't.

B. The other contemporary British album that I discovered when I visited my high school buddy in college was the first Stone Roses disc. And this was the last track on the CD, so it was part of the US version of the record even then (it does not appear on the first edition of the album). The whole thing captivated me, but especially Fools Gold, which blended genres -- psychedelia, funk and techno, for starters -- that I did not think it was possible to mix. The sonic blend is captivating and it unveils something new for me every time I listen to it.

I meant to mention that the absence of that apostrophe drove me a bit mad when I was putting the songs in today.

I'm stunned by this Bittersweet Symphony thing.
It's a very zeitgeist-invoking song. Was a touchstone for a lot of people on a lot of levels.
Yep. It was everywhere and was well liked across different scenes.

And ... depending on your cohort/crowd you ran with, "Bittersweet Symphony" still somehow maintained indy cred. Not for everyone or every crowd, but for a heckuva lot of them.

I want to say, also, that it was a song even the "at work" stations would play at the time to implicitly promote something of an "edge" to their playlists.

EDIT -- Why I italicized "at the time": More typically back then, a hit ballad or a mellow string-heavy hit (if not from an established adult-contemporary artist) would have to percolate for a time before "at work" stations would adopt them.

Pip’s Invitation:

(new song)

I meant to mention that the absence of that apostrophe drove me a bit mad when I was putting the songs in today.
We could have an entire thread of song titles with incorrect punctuation and/or grammar.

New Binky the Doormat:

10538 Overture - Electric Light Orchestra
(new song)

ELO's first single (and the opening track on its debut album) is a great distillation of Jeff Lynne and Roy Wood's concept for the band. Unfortunately the rest of the debut is too baroque and unfocused for my tastes. But the Overture not only achieves the goal of pairing Beatles-like string arrangements with a rock beat, it's a great example of psych rock. The guitars and Lynne's vocal are downright trippy. It may be in my ELO top 5.

Don Quixote:

Love Will Tear Us Apart - Joy Division
(new song)

It's chalk, but this is my #1 Joy Division. Everything that made Ian Curtis special can be found in this track.

Yankee23Fan:

While My Guitar Gently Weeps - The Beatles
(new song)

I ranked this #2 in the Zegras/Krista Beatles countdown extravaganza (glass bottles and glass onions optional). Some days it's my #1. Was that the case the day I made my list? Stay tuned.

DrIanMalcolm:

In God's Country - U2

I ranked this #33 in JohnMaddensLunchbox's U2 countdown.

Sullie:

Der Kommissar - After The Fire
(new artist)

Ooooh, are we getting Falco's version in the catch-all countdown?

higgins:

Abacab - Genesis
(new song)

The best song ever written about chord changes?

The Dreaded Marco:

Bitter Sweet Symphony - The Verve
(duplicate - seventh vote)

Seriously, I'm starting to feel left out now...

Mt. Man:

Eyes Without A Face - Billy Idol
(new song)

I only know the hits, but of those, I've always liked this one best.
falguy:

Whole Lotta Love - Led Zeppelin
(new song)

I ranked this #18 in Anarchy's Zep countdown. My IRL friend ranked it #12. Led Zeppelin II was one of the first cassettes I bought with my own money.
zamboni:

If I Needed Someone - The Beatles
(new song)

I ranked this #19 in the Zegras/Krista Beatles countdown extravaganza (where everyone was a good kisser).

simey:

Burn Down The Mission (live In Australia 1986) - Elton John
(new song)

Great song. Why is Elton wearing a powdered wig in the video?

Zegras11:

Rock And Roll - Led Zeppelin
(new song)

I ranked this #19 in Anarchy's Zep countdown. It did not make my friend's top 25. Some people bagged on it in the thread and I don't know why. It's a supercharged distillation of the early rock and roll that Robert Plant loves so much -- you can tell how much they enjoy it.

Users who are viewing this thread