What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Getcha passports ready - the middle-aged dummies are going to the British Isles! Top 31 song countdown. (4 Viewers)

My Idiot Favs that I Knew:

God Put a Smile Upon Your Face - Coldplay @Just Win Baby (Always forget about this song because that album is so amazing)

Lights - Ellie Goulding @MAC_32 (Fun song, for some reason I thought she was Sweedish...)

Magic - Oliva Newton-John @DrIanMalcolm (was on my long list, really only song I enjoy from her - also think of her as Australian)

Connected - Stereo MC's @Sullie (Just missed my last 5 out)

Son Of A Preacher Man - Dusty Springfield @falguy and some other Idiot named Doug

I Wanna Be Adored - The Stone Roses @zamboni (This and "There She Goes" makes me want to try Heroin)

Songs I was not familiar with:

I'm In Love With A German Film Star - The Passions @Andy Dufresne (Wow, this was great sad I missed this in my youth - it really moved me)

Mama Used To Say - Junior @Doug B (Very suprised to see this was from 2012, had an early 80s Gap Band groove)

Your Girlfriend - Blossoms @ditkaburgers (Nice, sort of an upbeat "The 1975" sad I missed this in my old age)

2 additional questions:

@higgins You don't perchance have a framed Asia poster on your wall do you?

And, to anyone, but maybe @AAABatteries - What the hell is a Tuppence???

I counted 17 songs/artists I'd never heard of in the opening round. There are several others I recognize the artist name, but don't know if I've ever heard the song. Looks like I'm gonna hear a lot of new music right away.

I don't expect a lot of you to be into Motorhead. Hell, I don't even listen to their music all that often. My selection was more of a nod to a pioneering, sneering, hard living, working class, rock and roll band. Lemmy Kilmister didn't give a ****. He was the epitome of the rock and roll lifestyle. Motorhead is now an institution. They're music, persona, and influence live on through countless other bands. I think Ace of Spades sums them up nicely. Its fast, aggressive, gritty.....it takes your woman, steals your bottle, and kicks your teeth in.
They're not a band I listen to much but Ace of Spades is monstrous. Bonus points for being covered by Ween in their live sets occasionally.
I'm gonna have to check that version out......Having listened to the Deaner album, which I thought was pretty damn good, I feel like that's more his style?
Yes, it's very much in tune with the Deaner side of things -- though Ween's version is sung by bassist Dave Dreiwitz. This video from 2008 was posted by one of my friends.

Last edited:
One-Point Selections:

Chaos34:

Strachan - The Hitchers
This one was fun. Are you a Leeds fan? Apparently this guy played for Manchester United in the 80s (I'm a fan). Buut, Ferguson wrote, "I decided this man could not be trusted an inch – I would not want to expose my back to him in a hurry" about him in his autobiography, so, I'm a little conflicted..

He played for Leeds United as well and managed the Scottish national team for five futile years.

@Pip's Invitation I just watched a YouTube of Ween doing Ace of Spades......it's official, Ween is on my wish list to see live. It looks like they are back together, right?
Yes. They are an incredible live band and they are touring again.

There won't be any more records, because Deaner and Gener can't really stand each other anymore, but they do the tours because they are musically and financially satisfying.

One-Point Selections:

Chaos34:

Strachan - The Hitchers
This one was fun. Are you a Leeds fan? Apparently this guy played for Manchester United in the 80s (I'm a fan). Buut, Ferguson wrote, "I decided this man could not be trusted an inch – I would not want to expose my back to him in a hurry" about him in his autobiography, so, I'm a little conflicted..

He played for Leeds United as well and managed the Scottish national team for five futile years.
Yeah, the song seems to be pretty clearly about his time at Leeds.

@Pip's Invitation , I gave your song my requisite three minutes, which I do even if I hate a song from the beginning. I didn't hate this one at all, but skipped ahead a bit to hear more of it and then concluded it just wasn't going to be for me.

Since then:
"Rabbit" - sounds like a Ringo song is right! Are we sure Ringo isn't associated with this in any way? I mean this all as a compliment and really liked the song.
"God Put A Smile Upon Your Face" - I saw Coldplay for free back when people gave me free things all the time. Wasn't at all interested in them but was pleasantly surprised at how well their show rocked. I should have listened to more from them. This song was outstanding.
"Oh! Camil" - my favorite so far. I see the comparisons to Dylan, but it sounds more to me like if an Englishman were trying to imitate Dylan who was trying to imitate an Englishman.

Hey look, this Yes song is only three minutes or so! I'll give it a shot.

The only thing I know about Marillion is that I came across their album titled "Fugazi" in a record store many moons ago and my teenage self was very disappointed to discover that my favorite band did not in fact release a new album that I had not yet heard.

AAABatteries:

Feed The Birds - Julie Andrews

If I'm being honest, when I started putting my list together this song wasn't on my radar. For I guess obvious reasons, it's not something I listen to often although after thinking through this writeup maybe I should.

I mentioned in the American songs thread that my family are huge Disney fans - the parks, the movies, etc. Mary Poppins is my favorite Disney movie. I watched it as a kid with my mother, I can remember her singing the songs. I've watched it with my kids over the years. We ate at the Disney breakfast where Mary comes to your table. We've toured around the UK at Epcot and gotten pictures with Mary and Bert. And we also loved Saving Mr. Banks which is the story of how Walt made Mary Poppins. Mary Poppins is a little dated and a little sappy, but we still enjoy it and I look forward to one day watching with my (not yet existing) grandchildren.

But that's not why I included it in my list. The brilliant Sherman Brothers wrote what is said to be Walt's favorite song. The soundtrack is one of the most famous of all time, but this song seldom gets attention. This simple song tells some of the greatest life lessons I've ever heard:
  • Be kind.
  • Be charitable.
  • Be generous.
  • Be empathetic.
  • Be humble.
This song makes we want to be a better person. I always fall short, but I strive to be like the bird lady. When Mr. Banks is walking to the bank and thinks of her you can see him realizing all the mistakes he's made. I have to admit I cry every time I hear this song - it's hauntingly beautiful and somber.

Feed the Birds

Walt Disney's Favorite Song

Feed the birds from Saving Mr.Banks

AAABatteries:

If I'm being honest, when I started putting my list together this song wasn't on my radar. For I guess obvious reasons, it's not something I listen to often although after thinking through this writeup maybe I should.

I mentioned in the American songs thread that my family are huge Disney fans - the parks, the movies, etc. Mary Poppins is my favorite Disney movie. I watched it as a kid with my mother, I can remember her singing the songs. I've watched it with my kids over the years. We ate at the Disney breakfast where Mary comes to your table. We've toured around the UK at Epcot and gotten pictures with Mary and Bert. And we also loved Saving Mr. Banks which is the story of how Walt made Mary Poppins. Mary Poppins is a little dated and a little sappy, but we still enjoy it and I look forward to one day watching with my (not yet existing) grandchildren.

But that's not why I included it in my list. The brilliant Sherman Brothers wrote what is said to be Walt's favorite song. The soundtrack is one of the most famous of all time, but this song seldom gets attention. This simple song tells some of the greatest life lessons I've ever heard:
  • Be kind.
  • Be charitable.
  • Be generous.
  • Be empathetic.
  • Be humble.
This song makes we want to be a better person. I always fall short, but I strive to be like the bird lady. When Mr. Banks is walking to the bank and thinks of her you can see him realizing all the mistakes he's made. I have to admit I cry every time I hear this song - it's hauntingly beautiful and somber.

Feed the Birds

Where did it land on rockaction's list of 100 punk songs?

AAABatteries:

• Be kind.
  • Be charitable.
  • Be generous.
  • Be empathetic.
  • Be humble.

Feed the Birds

Thank you so much for this one. My youngest daughter played the bird lady in a grade 5 play and actually sang this song. It was a forgotten memory. You made my day.

I didn't even realize what song it was until I clicked the link.

One-Point Selections:

Chaos34:

Strachan - The Hitchers
:)
I started working on my list December 18th while watching Argentina beat France. This song had to make my list. So I gave it the number 31 and stubbornly left it there through the process. It’s my favorite song about sports. I've mentioned a few times that I like humor in music. It's more fun with that video.

The Hitchers were mostly about drummer Niall Quinn who had a hand in launching The Cranberries when they were The Cranberry Saw Us. They released three nutty albums late 90s maybe early 00s. This pick became their most recognizable song over time because soccer fans keep playing it to this day. The album was called It's All Fun And Games 'Til Someone Loses An Eye, and first single is You Can Only Love Someone So Much But You Can Hate Them All The Way To Hell. The title of that one being the entirety of the lyrics. haha What can I say, this pick makes me happy.

The Hitchers were mostly about drummer Niall Quinn who had a hand in launching The Cranberries when they were The Cranberry Saw Us. They released three nutty albums late 90s maybe early 00s. This pick became their most recognizable song over time because soccer fans keep playing it to this day. The album was called It's All Fun And Games 'Til Someone Loses An Eye, and first single is You Can Only Love Someone So Much But You Can Hate Them All The Way To Hell. The title of that one being the entirety of the lyrics. haha What can I say, this pick makes me happy.

Not the same Niall Quinn who played striker for Sunderland

Well since it seems @krista4's reveal has been released (and I'm on my way out), as promised I will list "my idiots" (from the original thread) corresponding song choices each day:

My Idiots #31

Scooter

Oliver’s Army – Elvis Costello & The Attractions

Look at Scooter, pretending to be hip and cool.

I intended to mention, since you're three hours ahead of me, if you want to post yours in the morning before I've posted ours, I don't see a problem with that.

I think now I'm determined to start all of these countdowns with a fun pop song, so after What a Fool Believes, I had to go with Magic for this one.

I hadn't thought about the song a lot until ONJ died just recently, but boy, is that song a banger.
To combat people switching off songs (basically listening to 49 seconds of each song before some one remembers a song they really want to hear) at out draft, I came up with a playlist concept. Everyone showing up live gives me one band (each year) and I make a playlist with those 12-14 bands with about 8
songs of each band in “rounds” we also have an “in memorial” slot featuring whichever artist died most recently before our draft. This year it was Olivia Newton John (ZZ Top the year before) - and it was a nice addition to the mix including the Grease soundtrack (we’re that age) was fun. She had a great career.

Straight to No. 1 by Touch and Go was new to me and really liked it. It was fresh but classic at the same time.

Incidentally while listening to the playlist I created a separate playlist where I’m storing new songs that really grabbed my attention and I want to explore the song and maybe band further. I’ll share some thoughts in more detail about those songs along the way. This one has been added.

"Rabbit" - sounds like a Ringo song is right! Are we sure Ringo isn't associated with this in any way? I mean this all as a compliment and really liked the song.
"God Put A Smile Upon Your Face" - I saw Coldplay for free back when people gave me free things all the time. Wasn't at all interested in them but was pleasantly surprised at how well their show rocked. I should have listened to more from them. This song was outstanding.
"Oh! Camil" - my favorite so far. I see the comparisons to Dylan, but it sounds more to me like if an Englishman were trying to imitate Dylan who was trying to imitate an Englishman.

I finished my listen of the new-to-me songs and started a playlist of new-to-mes, which I should have done last time instead of later combing through the thread to find what I'd liked. I didn't look at who picked what until afterward, and before you say anything I'll remind you that I have 31 songs from 45 people plus the last 5-25 out lists so I don't remember at all who picked ****ing what. Also, I'm old.

In addition to the ones above (as it turned out, chosen by @titusbramble , @Just Win Baby , and @timschochet ), the following made my playlist, which is now and forever titled "Rabbit" after the first song I put on there:

Fine Time by Robert Palmer (chosen by @Eephus )
Strachan by The Hitchers (@Chaos34 ) - gun to head have to choose a favorite today and I'd choose this one
Good Grief by Bastille (@Chaz McNulty )
Parklife by Blur (Mrs. Eephus)
Your Girlfriend by Blossoms (@ditkaburgers )

Oh wow! I just looked those up as I was typing this and see that the Eephus family scored a hat trick! :shock:

Well since it seems @krista4's reveal has been released (and I'm on my way out), as promised I will list "my idiots" (from the original thread) corresponding song choices each day:

My Idiots #31

Scooter

Oliver’s Army – Elvis Costello & The Attractions

Look at Scooter, pretending to be hip and cool.

I intended to mention, since you're three hours ahead of me, if you want to post yours in the morning before I've posted ours, I don't see a problem with that.
Sure it’s only 4 songs so it can be an appetizer for the main event.
As we go further you’ll see “being cool” musically is not Scooter’s goal. He definitely will lean the most pop and mainstream- with a lot of Genesis and Phill Collins mixed in.

AAABatteries:

• Be kind.
  • Be charitable.
  • Be generous.
  • Be empathetic.
  • Be humble.

Feed the Birds

Back when I still had a family, this movie was very big with us as well. It was probably the second most watched movie with the three of us together, behind only “Milo and Otis”. We even saw the Broadway musical version one Christmas season. It was a very interesting pick.

Users who are viewing this thread