What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Getcha passports ready - the middle-aged dummies are going to the British Isles! Top 31 song countdown. (3 Viewers)

So you've never listened to an FM rock station?

The FM rock stations around here NEVER played the big metal acts until bands like Quiet Riot and Poison started hitting the Top 40 -- and even then, you still wouldn't hear Ozzy, Maiden, Priest, etc.

New Orleans also didn't have an equivalent of Los Angeles' KROQ (sp?) that played non-hit-single post-punk & new wave except for Tulane University's student-run station.
I don't recall if Ozzy was played on the radio where I grew up in '81. Probly not.......but he's been in heavy rotation on every rock station I've ever listened to for a long time. Of course, I still listen to AM/FM radio, especially when driving.......I'm a technological dinosaur

The FM rock stations around here NEVER played the big metal acts until bands like Quiet Riot and Poison started hitting the Top 40 -- and even then, you still wouldn't hear Ozzy, Maiden, Priest, etc.

New Orleans also didn't have an equivalent of Los Angeles' KROQ (sp?) that played non-hit-single post-punk & new wave except for Tulane University's student-run station.
I don't recall if Ozzy was played on the radio where I grew up in '81. Probly not.......but he's been in heavy rotation on every rock station I've ever listened to for a long time. Of course, I still listen to AM/FM radio, especially when driving.......I'm a technological dinosaur
IIRC, Crazy Train was being played on my local rock station in 1981, but pretty sure they didn't delve any deeper into Blizzard of Ozz.

I don't recall if Ozzy was played on the radio where I grew up in '81. Probly not.......but he's been in heavy rotation on every rock station I've ever listened to for a long time.
Even the New Orleans and Baton Rouge classic-rock stations I listened to in high school and college ... never really any metal. Not even old Black Sabbath.

As time went on and those stations morphed their playlists over time, metal began to creep in. Since ~2005 or so, plenty of 80s metal is represented on these same stations while a lot of 60s stuff has fallen off.

Twenty-Four-Point Selections:

Pip’s Invitation:

Town Called Malice - The Jam
(duplicate – second vote)

New Binky the Doormat:

Kashmir - Led Zeppelin
(duplicate – third vote)

worrierking:

There Is A Light That Never Goes Out - The Smiths

titusbramble:

Has It Come To This? - The Streets
(new artist)

simey:

The Jean Genie - David Bowie
(new song)

Just Win Baby:

In The Air Tonight - Phil Collins

Don Quixote:

Ooh La La - The Faces

MAC_32:

Rolling In The Deep – Adele
(duplicate – fourth vote)

timschochet:

Why Can’t I Touch It? - The Buzzcocks

Yankee23Fan:

Baba O'Riley – The Who
(duplicate – seventh vote)

Hawks64:

Blackbird – The Beatles
(new song)

jwb:

Pump It Up - Elvis Costello

DrIanMalcolm:

Dear Mr. Fantasy - Traffic
(new song)

Dr. Octopus:

Solsbury Hill - Peter Gabriel
(duplicate – sixth vote)

KarmaPolice:

Figure It Out – Royal Blood
(new artist)

shuke:

Into The Mystic – Van Morrison

Manster:

Time - Pink Floyd

scorchy:

Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
(duplicate – third vote)

Sullie:

Roundabout - Yes

Andy Dufresne:

More Than This - Roxy Music

Mister CIA:

Every Picture Tells A Story - Rod Stewart
(duplicate – third vote)

Mrs. Rannous:

And The Band Played Waltzing Matilda - Eric Bogle
(new artist)

higgins:

What Have I Done To Deserve This? - Pet Shop Boys and Dusty Springfield
(new song for both)

The Dreaded Marco:

The Cutter - Echo & The Bunnymen
(new song)

simsarge:

Space Truckin' - Deep Purple

Mt. Man:

Fool In The Rain - Led Zeppelin
(new song)

landrys hat:

Son Of A Preacher Man - Dusty Springfield
(duplicate – sixth vote)

Westerberg:

Love Will Tear Us Apart - Joy Division

Eephus:

Your Love Is King – Sade
(new song)

rockaction:

There She Goes – The La’s

falguy:

No One Is To Blame - Howard Jones
(duplicate – third vote)

Hov34:

West End Girls – Pet Shop Boys
(duplicate – third vote)

zamboni:

Hallowed Be Thy Name - Iron Maiden

Doug B:

Love Is Like Oxygen – Sweet
(duplicate – third vote)

Ilov80s:

Back In The High Life - Steve Winwood

Val Rannous:

Locomotive Breath - Jethro Tull
(duplicate – third vote)

Chaos34:

Bitter Sweet Symphony - The Verve
(duplicate – eighth vote)

Chaz McNulty:

One – U2
(new song)

Zegras11:

In Between Days - The Cure
(new song)

AAABatteries:

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - U2
(new song)

Oliver Humanzee:

Outdoor Miner - Wire

Mrs. Eephus:

Metal - Gary Numan
(new artist)

ditkaburgers:

Breakout - Swing Out Sister
(new artist)

cosjobs:

(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes - Elvis Costello
(new song)

krista4:

(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding – Elvis Costello
(new song)

IIRC, Crazy Train was being played on my local rock station in 1981, but pretty sure they didn't delve any deeper into Blizzard of Ozz.
Crazy Train was played on the radio here too in 1981. I don't recall hearing Mr. Crowley on the radio then, but I remember Mr. Crowley blaring on the speakers in my brother's bedroom. I heard more songs in '81 and '82 on the radio from Diary of a Madman.

New-to-me favorites from #9. Not much to pick from because I knew almost everything.

This Is the Day -- The The (Eephus). I recognize the chorus but not the verses -- was the chorus used in an ad? Uplifting and melodic.
Borstal Boys -- Faces (OH). I only know their radio songs. The blooze mayhem that they were so good at creating.
Mr. Crowley -- Ozzy Osbourne (Hawks64). I knew of this song, thanks to all the PMRC outcries and such, but I'd never actually heard it. It sounds menacing and yet vulnerable.
The ones in Philly never played it.

Did
New-to-me favorites from #9. Not much to pick from because I knew almost everything.

This Is the Day -- The The (Eephus). I recognize the chorus but not the verses -- was the chorus used in an ad? Uplifting and melodic.
Borstal Boys -- Faces (OH). I only know their radio songs. The blooze mayhem that they were so good at creating.
Mr. Crowley -- Ozzy Osbourne (Hawks64). I knew of this song, thanks to all the PMRC outcries and such, but I'd never actually heard it. It sounds menacing and yet vulnerable.
Did he defile the liberty bell or something?

Did

Maybe he cheered Santa Claus.

Pip’s Invitation:

Town Called Malice - The Jam

This was one of my first introductions to Paul Weller. It was one of several Jam videos in regular rotation in the early years of MTV, along with Absolute Beginners, The Bitterest Pill and Beat Surrender. It's totally infectious and is a perfect fusion of First Wave and Motown. It also pointed to his future musical direction, as he wanted to pursue more R&B sounds and didn't think the other members of The Jam were capable of that, so he broke them up and formed The Style Council with musicians who were.

I learned about The Jam's earlier work later in the '80s when a friend played me a compilation album, and by the end of college I had all of their CDs. I got into Weller's solo career when Wild Wood, which I think is one of the best albums of the 90s, came out. The Style Council is more hit-and-miss for me.

Did

He bit the head off of a cheesesteak.

There are a few more songs that I wasn't definitely familiar with based on title alone. Of those, my favorites were songs by Royal Blood, Buzzcocks and the Faces.

I realize those last 2 had been listed once before and I may have pointed them out before but I don't recall. That's the 2nd Faces song I've liked---guess I better listen to their entire catalog.

Known-to-me favorites from #8, not including my own pick or Son of a Preacher Man, Rolling in the Deep, Every Picture Tells a Story or Pump It Up, which are known to be on my list:

Dear Mr. Fantasy -- Traffic (DrIanMalcolm)
Roundabout -- Yes (Sullie)
Baba O'Riley -- The Who (Yankee23Fan)
Kashmir -- Led Zeppelin (Binky)
There Is a Light That Never Goes Out -- The Smiths (Worrierking)
Space Truckin' -- Deep Purple (Simsarge)
Ooh La La -- Faces (Don Quixote)
Wish You Were Here -- Pink Floyd (Scorchy)
Love Will Tear Us Apart -- Joy Division (Westerberg)
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For -- U2 (AAABatteries)
Bitter Sweet Symphony -- The Verve (Chaos34)
One -- U2 (Chaz)
Time -- Pink Floyd (Manster)
Blackbird -- The Beatles (Hawks64)
Fool in the Rain -- Led Zeppelin (Mt. Man)
(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding? -- Elvis Costello (Krista4)
Why Can't I Touch It? -- Buzzcocks (Tim)
Locomotive Breath -- Jethro Tull (Val Rannous)
More Than This -- Roxy Music (Andy)

DrIanMalcolm:

Dear Mr. Fantasy - Traffic
(new song)

I really didn't expect this to go this long before showing up as I figured it to be the chalkiest of Traffic songs (maybe there are more votes for it later). I just love that ethereal opening, with the guitar, harmonica and then Winwood's amazing voice. It's pretty damned ubiquitous - I mean, it leads off a damned Avengers movie, for Pete's sake - but boy is it a hell of a tune.

Did

Maybe he cheered Santa Claus.
Is he a Cowboys fan? 🤔

I'm baffled that the Floyd songs Time, and Wish you were here, have only been selected 2 and 3 times respectively.

I gotta believe that we will see both picked several more times as we go on...... especially wish you were here.......but Time could've easily been my top overall song.

I'm baffled that the Floyd songs Time, and Wish you were here, have only been selected 2 and 3 times respectively.

I gotta believe that we will see both picked several more times as we go on...... especially wish you were here.......but Time could've easily been my top overall song.
It’s…bittersweet.

Users who are viewing this thread