What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing (12 Viewers)

My friend's house burned down recently. Tragic, but he has good insurance and his family has money. House in the Hamptons, apt overlooking central park, found a Picasso drawing we forgot about money. He's temporarily moved into his parent's country weekend house. One of his coworkers started a gofundme, and my friend casually sent me the link. Everyone I know is donating. I just don't even know what to say.

Dealt with something similar recently.  Between husband and wife, they pull in $500k/year.  Have a nice house and a brand new $1MM+ beach house.  Then siblings have similar money, but not quite as much.   Their mother is in the hospital -- doesn't look good.  Extra last ditch effort care is not covered by insurance.  They started a GoFundMe.  These people could pay for the expenses without impacting their daily lives.  But I had to donate anyway.

mrip541 said:
My friend's house burned down recently. Tragic, but he has good insurance and his family has money. House in the Hamptons, apt overlooking central park, found a Picasso drawing we forgot about money. He's temporarily moved into his parent's country weekend house. One of his coworkers started a gofundme, and my friend casually sent me the link. Everyone I know is donating. I just don't even know what to say.
our building in lower manhattan had a fire in 2010, rendering us homeless for a year... no renter's insurance either (outside of specific property- jewelry- stupid). people here could not have been nicer offering anything from go-fund type to kids toys/clothes. 

I'm as broke as an FBG comes- but have some family support/money on both sides. It was all I could conceive to even ask for and receive some limited help from them. I did not feel comfortable in the slightest accepting help otherwise from anywhere else... so maybe that's just my own issues- but somebody with the insurance (that will cover those initial day to day things that are lost, let alone current housing until the rebuild), a place to live in the meantime, their own income and further family support... taking money from friends- even in a tragic/sad time- seems shameful. to me. 

our building in lower manhattan had a fire in 2010, rendering us homeless for a year... no renter's insurance either (outside of specific property- jewelry- stupid). people here could not have been nicer offering anything from go-fund type to kids toys/clothes. 

I'm as broke as an FBG comes- but have some family support/money on both sides. It was all I could conceive to even ask for and receive some limited help from them. I did not feel comfortable in the slightest accepting help otherwise from anywhere else... so maybe that's just my own issues- but somebody with the insurance (that will cover those initial day to day things that are lost, let alone current housing until the rebuild), a place to live in the meantime, their own income and further family support... taking money from friends- even in a tragic/sad time- seems shameful. to me. 

My family situation, the wealthy couple is sitting there collecting money from younger 20somethings cousins who are in college or still living at home. Obscene to me.

I've been feeling like hell the last couple of weeks.  A node, I hope, on the other side of my neck has been bothering me.  Spent almost all of last week in bed.  Saw one of my docs first thing Monday morning. He said he wasn't overly concerned but bumped up my next scan to next Thursday. 
Good luck Bob - hoping the Doc is right and it’s nothing. 

I've been feeling like hell the last couple of weeks.  A node, I hope, on the other side of my neck has been bothering me.  Spent almost all of last week in bed.  Saw one of my docs first thing Monday morning. He said he wasn't overly concerned but bumped up my next scan to next Thursday. 

Hang in there GB.

Luf ewe cat guy!  

side bar:  if you saw those fires in Laguna niguel, they were a wind shift away from coming my way. Water dropping helicopters flew all night. And are still flying as we speak. 

if you saw those fires in Laguna niguel, they were a wind shift away from coming my way
Wow. I saw it on the news and didn't even want to know about it. One of my greatest fears out here. I feel for those that lost valuables -- their homes -- and can only send good tidings your way. 

Thinking of you, GB. I hope it's nothing. 

Good news, scan didn't show any cancer.  Bad news, the pain on the tumor side has gotten much worse.   Woke up around 1am on 5/20 in so much agony it almost seemed like it would have to be intentional to endure so much pain.   Of course immediately sent my team a message. 

Scan was clear and they don't know why there's been this 180.  Was put on a fentanyl patch a couple of days ago and is still the worst pain I've ever been in my life.  Like I told the doctors "I'm not suicidal or making a statement threatening my own life, however, it hurt so bad, for so long, if there was a pistol nearby, I would have had to consider using it to end my pain. That's how bad it hurts".  So I'm told to put TWO patches on while they try to figure it out.  Also to take 800mg of ibuprofen three times a day and Gabapentin.  I've had ice on my neck 24/6 since as well.  Can't do anything without icing it.  Starting the second patch as soon as Mrs. SLB gets home as freaked out to do alone.  I'm sure it's fine but have lost several family members to this ####. 

I had my 6 month check up with my dentist last week and was confirmed nothing dental. 

The two doctors on my team I saw are both oncologists.  If I don't see any improvement by Sunday morning will message the surgeon, Dr. J, to see if he can figure it out.  

Good news, scan didn't show any cancer.  Bad news, the pain on the tumor side has gotten much worse.   Woke up around 1am on 5/20 in so much agony it almost seemed like it would have to be intentional to endure so much pain.   Of course immediately sent my team a message. 

Scan was clear and they don't know why there's been this 180.  Was put on a fentanyl patch a couple of days ago and is still the worst pain I've ever been in my life.  Like I told the doctors "I'm not suicidal or making a statement threatening my own life, however, it hurt so bad, for so long, if there was a pistol nearby, I would have had to consider using it to end my pain. That's how bad it hurts".  So I'm told to put TWO patches on while they try to figure it out.  Also to take 800mg of ibuprofen three times a day and Gabapentin.  I've had ice on my neck 24/6 since as well.  Can't do anything without icing it.  Starting the second patch as soon as Mrs. SLB gets home as freaked out to do alone.  I'm sure it's fine but have lost several family members to this ####. 

I had my 6 month check up with my dentist last week and was confirmed nothing dental. 

The two doctors on my team I saw are both oncologists.  If I don't see any improvement by Sunday morning will message the surgeon, Dr. J, to see if he can figure it out.  
Thinking of you SLB. I hope it's still nothing and the pain goes away ASAP. 

Last edited by a moderator:
SLB, 

I'm not sure what to say. I hope the pain goes away soon. Great news that it's not cancer, but this must be trying your patience and will. I'm sure you want this to be over. We're all pulling for you, man. Much love sent your way. 

Thanks guys.  Yeah, what are going to do huh? Unfortunately don't notice any difference adding another patch.  Might have to slide into Dr. J's PMs tomorrow. Lol

Dang Buddy. I'm sorry you're having to deal with that. Hope you get some clarity soon and 🙏 for you.

Are there other pain meds available to you?  Seems like a different approach might help, cause the patches aren’t working. Are you allowed weed?  Love you brother. I’ll be on the look out for giant humans in cat shirts.  Will get pics. ❤️ @St. Louis Bob

Good news is today was the last day of HS for Calvin. Crazy.  Straight A's again. Bonus is one of those classes, Cyber Security, he gets college credit because he also had an "A" on the final.  Particularly great considering it's his major 
Nothing better than seeing your kids succeed.  Congrats!!!

I hope you get  relief from the pain soon.  After the road you’ve traveled you deserve it.   

DA RAIDERS said:
Are there other pain meds available to you?  Seems like a different approach might help, cause the patches aren’t working. Are you allowed weed?  Love you brother. I’ll be on the look out for giant humans in cat shirts.  Will get pics. ❤️ @St. Louis Bob
Before the fentanyl, bumped from 2 to 3 today, was taking 20-40mg daily of percocet and was "fine" for months.  Last weekend I was taking 20mg every 4 hours as well as 5mg methadone every 12 hours and still agony.  Weed hasn't helped except to force me to eat.  Went a full 100mg one night.  As long as I ice it I'm okay.  Still, it would be nice to not have to all the time.  Told Mrs. SLB, here I was depressed with how long it was taking to get back to 100% but I could at least work some. Take the dog for a walk, play catch with my son. Doh! :)

Thanks to you and everyone for the well wishes! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Before the fentanyl, bumped from 2 to 3 today, was taking 20-40mg daily of percocet and was "fine" for months.  Last weekend I was taking 20mg every 4 hours as well as 5mg methadone every 12 hours and still agony.  Weed hasn't helped except to force me to eat.  Went a full 100mg one night.  As long as I ice it I'm okay.  Still, it would be nice to not have to all the time.  Told Mrs. SLB, here I was depressed with how long it was taking to get back to 100% but I could at least work some. Take the dog for a walk, play catch with my son. Doh! :)

Thanks to you and everyone for the well wishes! 
I’m no dr.  Perhaps a dr feel good. :lmao:   I have found the stronger opioids to be both effective and quite enjoyable. It’s a good thing I’ve never tried heroin.   :oldunsure:  

just thinking of you and want to help if possible. 

I put this in another thread a few days ago, but I just need to type this out some more.

I lost one of my very best friends suddenly in a traffic accident on Saturday.  I went over to their house that night and stayed with his wife and three kids for a few hours, just to be there and grieve with them.  I've been a puddle of mess ever since.  I immediately turned to the bottle to numb my hurt, but have since put that aside to try and cope a little more healthily (is that a word?).  But I haven't had an appetite in 5 days now.  We had to go out to dinner last night and I tried my best to eat, but I just did little more than move food around my plate.  This morning, I had to race to the bathroom and dry heave.  The thought of eating repulses me and I know it's not healthy, but I just can't seem to lose this giant anchor in my stomach.  

I've been ineffectual at work and can't seem to focus.  I'm trying - today I just forced myself to get some tasks done and that was okay, but my mind just keeps racing back to the sudden loss and I start crying.  I've lost loved ones before - recently in fact.  But my mother's demise was a slow and painful one that took about a year, so it wasn't jarring like this is.  After that, I lost my buddy Ed to cancer which was also a slow and brutal illness that turned a 6'4" stallion of a man into something that looked like Junior from The Sopranos.  

So I'm guessing this is grief that's wrecking me.  Sudden, unexpected grief and the loss of a dear friend way too soon and without warning.  Maybe I'll finally lose some weight, though I'd far prefer to be fat and happy right now.  My wife wants me to go talk to somebody and I'm sure she's right.  But finding somebody seems overwhelming right now.  I pull up mental health therapists on my insurance website and it spits out like 84,000 million names.  I don't feel like cold calling them to try and get in.  

Anyhow.....hug all your kids and loved ones tight.  If you have good friends you haven't talked to or seen in a while, call them up.  Tell them how much they mean to you.  I've made a lot of those calls since Sunday.  I'd give anything to turn back time and make just one more call to Fred Scheffler and tell him all of that too.

I put this in another thread a few days ago, but I just need to type this out some more.

I lost one of my very best friends suddenly in a traffic accident on Saturday.  I went over to their house that night and stayed with his wife and three kids for a few hours, just to be there and grieve with them.  I've been a puddle of mess ever since.  I immediately turned to the bottle to numb my hurt, but have since put that aside to try and cope a little more healthily (is that a word?).  But I haven't had an appetite in 5 days now.  We had to go out to dinner last night and I tried my best to eat, but I just did little more than move food around my plate.  This morning, I had to race to the bathroom and dry heave.  The thought of eating repulses me and I know it's not healthy, but I just can't seem to lose this giant anchor in my stomach.  

I've been ineffectual at work and can't seem to focus.  I'm trying - today I just forced myself to get some tasks done and that was okay, but my mind just keeps racing back to the sudden loss and I start crying.  I've lost loved ones before - recently in fact.  But my mother's demise was a slow and painful one that took about a year, so it wasn't jarring like this is.  After that, I lost my buddy Ed to cancer which was also a slow and brutal illness that turned a 6'4" stallion of a man into something that looked like Junior from The Sopranos.  

So I'm guessing this is grief that's wrecking me.  Sudden, unexpected grief and the loss of a dear friend way too soon and without warning.  Maybe I'll finally lose some weight, though I'd far prefer to be fat and happy right now.  My wife wants me to go talk to somebody and I'm sure she's right.  But finding somebody seems overwhelming right now.  I pull up mental health therapists on my insurance website and it spits out like 84,000 million names.  I don't feel like cold calling them to try and get in.  

Anyhow.....hug all your kids and loved ones tight.  If you have good friends you haven't talked to or seen in a while, call them up.  Tell them how much they mean to you.  I've made a lot of those calls since Sunday.  I'd give anything to turn back time and make just one more call to Fred Scheffler and tell him all of that too.
Saw this terrible news in the RIP thread...so sorry, gb. I can't imagine. Let yourself grieve...and let your family help you. And just call any random therapist to make an appointment- it'll help.

All the love from NYC.

Saw this terrible news in the RIP thread...so sorry, gb. I can't imagine. Let yourself grieve...and let your family help you. And just call any random therapist to make an appointment- it'll help.

All the love from NYC.
Thanks GB.  I've got a close friend who is a therapist and while she can't take me on as a patient, I'm going to reach out to her today and see we can chat for a bit.

Aw Man. I think you're right in that it's very different when it's a sudden thing like that,. I'm so sorry. You have friends here and you're loved. You know that. Definitely talk to your therapist friend and let them guide you there. I think "fit" is a big part of that and they will likely be able to match you with someone optimal knowing you. We're with you. 

Sorry GM. Hang in there GB.....I'm still not 100% over the loss of my grandfather and it's been 20 years.  It'll get better and that post was your first step to therapy.  If you need to then definitely see a grief counselor

Thanks GB.  I've got a close friend who is a therapist and while she can't take me on as a patient, I'm going to reach out to her today and see we can chat for a bit.
Definitely see someone. It's absolutely vital. Sounds like your friend will be a great resource. Lean on her.

My blind 89 year old Mom has been in the hospital since Monday.   First she was in A-fib, then after two conversion procedures they got her heart rhythm back to normal for a few hours, then she went into V-fib.   Then A-fib again.   Now she's having hallucinations that people are attacking her, and she's disoriented.   Could be the drugs, could be she's just spiraling downward.   She doesn't recognize my Dad's voice, but does recognize my brother.     

They may try to put in a pacemaker today, but they haven't made a final call on that yet.   I'm 1000 miles away and getting updates a few times a day.   Crappy feeling but I wouldn't be any use there.    Covid protocols mean only one person at a time in the room, and my Dad and two of my brothers (one a doctor) are there.   

No need for anything.  Just wanted to vent a bit.

My blind 89 year old Mom has been in the hospital since Monday.   First she was in A-fib, then after two conversion procedures they got her heart rhythm back to normal for a few hours, then she went into V-fib.   Then A-fib again.   Now she's having hallucinations that people are attacking her, and she's disoriented.   Could be the drugs, could be she's just spiraling downward.   She doesn't recognize my Dad's voice, but does recognize my brother.     

They may try to put in a pacemaker today, but they haven't made a final call on that yet.   I'm 1000 miles away and getting updates a few times a day.   Crappy feeling but I wouldn't be any use there.    Covid protocols mean only one person at a time in the room, and my Dad and two of my brothers (one a doctor) are there.   

so sorry to hear gb... tough to be so remote in that kind of situation. all the best to her and your family for a good and speedy recovery.

so sorry to hear gb... tough to be so remote in that kind of situation. all the best to her and your family for a good and speedy recovery.
2 lawyers and 2 doctors in my family.  mom tried to decline pacemaker but she's incoherent.  After much deliberation they're doing pacemaker Monday.  We're not a tight family but I've talked to my brothers and sister more over the last 4 days than the last 20 years.

Sorry bud

☹️

I'm sorry GB. 

All these years my wife would always say how busy her job is.  I always felt bad because she says she is always behind.  I'm coming to the conclusion she may just be inefficient with her responsibilities. ... :ninja:

So sorry GB, sudden loss of young healthy folks is such a shock to the system. Taking care of yourself is so important right now.

Hopefully you have been able to find someone to talk to, maybe even a support group would be helpful.

Sending all the thoprawishes I can your way and your GB's family way.

Went to the grocery store yesterday and grabbed a carton of milk. Expiration date was 2 days out. Usually the expiration date is is out 3-6 weeks. 

So sorry GB, sudden loss of young healthy folks is such a shock to the system. Taking care of yourself is so important right now.

Hopefully you have been able to find someone to talk to, maybe even a support group would be helpful.

Sending all the thoprawishes I can your way and your GB's family way.
Thanks Brother, I appreciate it.  One of my neighbors/best friends lost his daughter to cancer 5 years ago after a long battle.  He's lead grief support groups ever since and has been an invaluable source of strength for me the last two weeks.  It's helped.

Also helping was getting up and saying a few words at his celebration of life last week.  There were probably 400 people at the prestigious Portland Golf Club where he probably played a million rounds of golf.  I was prepared, I had written from the heart the week or so prior, got all my feelings and thoughts down to a 6 minute speech and delivered it to a crowded room without crying until the very end when I hugged his wife.  I think that really helped me cope.

Users who are viewing this thread