What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hail to the Redskins! (1 Viewer)

Is Portis ever going to score a TD? He keeps putting up good enough yardage numbers for me to be starting him week in/week out, but I'd like to see a TD out of a "top" RB once in awhile.
I'm begining to wonder as well. Heck, the guy is still scoring very well in my leagues w/o them, but man they sure would be nice. :yes:

The Redskins seem to be able to give him some openings going up and down the field, but not near the goal line. I don't know if it's the O-line or the playcalling, but it's frustrating as hell.

Another game where the Redskins dominate in total yards, 1st downs and TOP, yet lose on the scoreboard. Frustrating to see as a Redskins fan, but it's certainly a drastic improvement over last year. Clearly the team has a problem with turnovers. Forcing them and giving them up. Without forcing TOs, the offense has to go on long fields all game. They do move the ball, then they turn the ball over in the redzone. The Skins had the ball in the KC 20 twice today and came up with zero points and ended up givng up 7 on Knight's fumble return. That's a possible 10-13 point swing and right now the Skins aren't good enough to overcome mistakes like that. I think they're close though. If a team can prove something in losing, I think the Skins did. They proved they can play with anyone, but they also proved they have a ways to go as well.

The Redskins seem to be able to give him some openings going up and down the field, but not near the goal line. I don't know if it's the O-line or the playcalling, but it's frustrating as hell.
A bit of both. The Skins OL just aren't getting the push or creating holes on obvious running plays. Most of Portis' big runs this year has been off the edge or wide. Can't do that around the goalline all the time, but slamming Portis into an OL that has been stood up won't get it done either. Portis isn't that type of runner. Also, I've noticed Portis isn't running the same way this year. He's stumbling more and he's not utilizing his blockers as well as he has in the past. Playcalling could be it as well. I'm not of fan of going into a jumbo set on the goalline. Why pack everyone in tight and make it easier for the D to stack up your OL? I'd rather see a normal formation and that way the defense cant load up the big uglies for the run. Plus teams know GIbbs has a preference to run it around the goalline. Right now they can't lineup and blow a team off the ball when that team knows it's coming.

Another game where the Redskins dominate in total yards, 1st downs and TOP, yet lose on the scoreboard. Frustrating to see as a Redskins fan, but it's certainly a drastic improvement over last year. Clearly the team has a problem with turnovers. Forcing them and giving them up. Without forcing TOs, the offense has to go on long fields all game. They do move the ball, then they turn the ball over in the redzone. The Skins had the ball in the KC 20 twice today and came up with zero points and ended up givng up 7 on Knight's fumble return. That's a possible 10-13 point swing and right now the Skins aren't good enough to overcome mistakes like that. I think they're close though. If a team can prove something in losing, I think the Skins did. They proved they can play with anyone, but they also proved they have a ways to go as well.
The Skins are now 2nd worst in turnover margin with a -8. This is worse than teams like BAL, MIN, and HOU. If they can't turn it around a little against SF this week, there's no way they stay competitive.

:lmao: Hi fair weather fan. Oh wait that is all Redskins fans, my bad. :lmao:
Right, you're referring to the fan base that has sold out its games for decades, has a 20-year waiting list on season tickets for the biggest stadium in the NFL, and has people bequeathing season tickets in their wills. Good call. :loco:

I've been in this thread after every single Redskins game since its been started, win or lose.I started a similar Redskins thread last year even though they were terrible.

Please stop making unfounded claims. TIA.

The_Hunchback, what you just said is one of the most insanely, idiotic things that I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent reponse were you even close to anything that can be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

The_Hunchback, what you just said is one of the most insanely, idiotic things that I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent reponse were you even close to anything that can be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.
lol, I love that quote even though I've heard/read it a million times.And Hunchback, if you go back and notice, the Redskins fans who comment in this thread have been in it since day 1. We've all been here good and bad. I remember having discussions about the Fun-n-Gun and Martyball here in the Pool. Take your fair weather comment somewhere else where it belongs. Like in a Bengals forum :)

We played a I-AA 9ers team today - a good warm-up for our tough schedule over the next 3 weeks.
From A FF standpoint, I think that the schedule looks pretty favorable for Brunell and Moss. I think that they are going to continue to light it up.

This is even worse of a showing than that infamous Spurrier-fish-lips episode versus the Eagles on MNF, if that's even possible. :bag:

Hi, where are you guys at now? :excited:

Still hasn't sunk in how wrong your original statement was?

Your right, I apologize for making such a wrong statement. It was very very wrong, to bad it was correct though. :excited:

This is even worse of a showing than that infamous Spurrier-fish-lips episode versus the Eagles on MNF, if that's even possible. :bag:
I had the game on in the living room and was working in the next room thinking "I'll go in when it sounds like they're doing good." That time never came. Man, they had their lunch handed to them today.Oh well, on to next week.

Your right, I apologize for making such a wrong statement. It was very very wrong, to bad it was correct though. :excited:
you'retoo

yeah, too bad :rolleyes:

Do you have the slightest idea what "fair-weather fan" actually means?Better question -- are you actually the dumbest person on this entire MB, or could anyone possibly be any more dense?

This irritating thread doesn't need to get lost in the back pages.As I told you jwvdcw. It was just a matter of time until they realized they weren't that good. I told you they would fade back into mediocrity and they are doing it. Hate to say I told you so, but I will.

Last edited by a moderator:
This irritating thread doesn't need to get lost in the back pages.

As I told you jwvdcw. It was just a matter of time until they realized they weren't that good. I told you they would fade back into mediocrity and they are doing it. Hate to say I told you so, but I will.
:lmao: .... and what will you say when they win vs. Philly next week? :popcorn:

As I told you jwvdcw. It was just a matter of time until they realized they weren't that good. I told you they would fade back into mediocrity and they are doing it. Hate to say I told you so, but I will.
Do you need more proof that this team is overated? Was the 36-0 ### kickin not good enough? This is an 8-8 team at best.Don't you have anything better to do like cry about the SEC and ACC not getting their props? Do you seriously care about which conference is best from year to year? WHO CARES!

Do you need more proof that this team is overated? Was the 36-0 ### kickin not good enough? This is an 8-8 team at best.Don't you have anything better to do like cry about the SEC and ACC not getting their props? Do you seriously care about which conference is best from year to year? WHO CARES!
Wrong thread buddy. I know it's a down year for your beloved Sooners, but at least post in the right thread of your gonna :cry: about it.Oh and rather than changing the subject, what will you say if Wash beats Philly next week? :lmao:

Please do not circumvent the language filter.

They improved vastly from last week when the Giants kicked them all over the place. They have an offense. They have a defense. They play together. There's room for improvement. It's hard not to like that. 5-3 is not bad at all right now.

They improved vastly from last week when the Giants kicked them all over the place. They have an offense. They have a defense. They play together. There's room for improvement. It's hard not to like that. 5-3 is not bad at all right now.
:goodposting: :pickle:

Redman, be honest. Did you think they would beat the Eagles tonight? I thought they could, but I also thought they wouldn't. I guess I'm too used to them finding ways to lose in past years. This is taking some getting used to.

Redman, be honest. Did you think they would beat the Eagles tonight? I thought they could, but I also thought they wouldn't. I guess I'm too used to them finding ways to lose in past years. This is taking some getting used to.
I was with you. I was actually worried about the Owens suspension pulling the Eagles together and focusing them, which has been a characteristic of them during adverse times under Reid. That they lost and looked relatively lackluster - while a credit to a good effort by the 'Skins - also means to me that this Eagles team has some deep-seated problems, particularly in the running game.

Also, I don't think that John Hall is fully recovered. His kicks looked feeble. I hope we kept Nick Novack's number handy.

All Hall's kicks were low, they looked blockable. And he looked to be in pain after one kickoff. One nice thing about tonight's game was that there were some jarring hits, and that the Redskins gave more of them than they received. They play hard, it's a pleasure to watch.

All Hall's kicks were low, they looked blockable. And he looked to be in pain after one kickoff.

One nice thing about tonight's game was that there were some jarring hits, and that the Redskins gave more of them than they received. They play hard, it's a pleasure to watch.
This wasn't a sexy win in the fashion of the '99 Rams. It was just good solid football (several fumbles notwithstanding). Refreshing after years of losing such games in the Turner-Spurrier wilderness.

God I was mad they won that game. I have enjoyed the past 15 years of the Redskins sucking for the most part. Just when I start to think that I don't dislike them that much, it's all coming back to me. It isn't so much the Redskins winning. I respect Gibbs, G. Williams is a great coach, I like most of the players besides Portis, but it's all the talk that kills me. Nothing is worse than hearing the morons on the John Thompson show slurp up to the skins. Wait I take that back, seeing unknowledgeable bandwagon fans sporting those fugly maroon and mustard apparel is far worse.I'll admit it, I was wrong about the Skins. Not because they beat a TOless Eagles team, not because they spanked the 49ers w/o Tim Rattay, not because they got their asses handed to them by the Giants. But because they play VERY good defense, and Gibbs is one hell of a coach, because I just don't see how they win when you look at their players on offense. Moss, Cooley, and Brunell are solid, but the rest (not including the line) eat monkey balls. Portis has IMHO always been a soft ### back. He showed me nothing tonight, other then he seemed to run harder near the goal line. Other than that, he looked soft as usual. But the way Gibbs has found a way to win with what he has, wow, I'll give it up.

Classy post, Prime. I agree with you. Frankly, I think all hard core fans hate front-running, band wagon fans. Gibbs' genius has nothing to do with his scheme. He's got good football smarts, but they're no better IMHO than a good half of the coaches out there. His genius is in handling and managing people, and in getting groups of guys to work together and to believe. It's alchemy. There's no way to measure it or display it or to teach it - many of his assistants have gone on to coach only to fail (Bugel, Henning, Pettitbone, etc.). But the man plain flat knows how to institute a program and to get guys playing on the same page. It's fun to watch as a fan. Frankly, I'm having as much fun as a 'Skins fan as I've had in years, and as much of it comes from how competitive the division is overall as it does from the success of my team. This is what football's supposed to be about.

Wrong thread buddy. I know it's a down year for your beloved Sooners, but at least post in the right thread of your gonna :cry: about it.Oh and rather than changing the subject, what will you say if Wash beats Philly next week? :lmao:
:crickets:

Classy post, Prime. I agree with you. Frankly, I think all hard core fans hate front-running, band wagon fans.

Gibbs' genius has nothing to do with his scheme. He's got good football smarts, but they're no better IMHO than a good half of the coaches out there. His genius is in handling and managing people, and in getting groups of guys to work together and to believe. It's alchemy. There's no way to measure it or display it or to teach it - many of his assistants have gone on to coach only to fail (Bugel, Henning, Pettitbone, etc.). But the man plain flat knows how to institute a program and to get guys playing on the same page. It's fun to watch as a fan.

Frankly, I'm having as much fun as a 'Skins fan as I've had in years, and as much of it comes from how competitive the division is overall as it does from the success of my team. This is what football's supposed to be about.
I know what you mean. A perfect example is when Cooley fumbled, an offensive lineman (Dockery?), recovered. Now normally, that guy had no business being down there. What I mean is, not many linemen run that far down field when they are that far from the play. I mean Cooley was probably 15 yards from the line of scrimmage when he fumbles. That mean Dockery was well behind him but still took it upon himself to hustle down field and was in position to recover that ball.

Another example was when Brunell fumbled, the ball was rolling around and picked up by an Eagles D-lineman who headed for the end zone. Portis was 7-10 yards downfield in a pass pattern, saw the ball loose and headed for it like a rocket. He tackled the D-lineman from behind. There are many efforts like that this year.Portis is also one hell of a team player. He blocks, his effort is there 100% of the time. He made a catch to keep a drive alive where he leaped from his knees, caught it, and landed with both elbows in bounds to keep a drive alive. Not a monster play, but kept another drive alive.I love the NFC East this year. This is the way it oughta be ---- all 4 teams could win it. It's getting back to the way it used to be years ago ---- every division game means something, either team could win, level of competition is high, and the playoffs are a legitimate thought for all 4 teams at this time.

word. This is the most fun I have had watching football in years. Yes, in part it is because the Skins are good, but it is also because the NFC East is back :thumbup:

:crickets:
:tumbleweed:

His genius is in handling and managing people, and in getting groups of guys to work together and to believe.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I knew Gibbs had something going with this team last year against GB. Brunell was stinking up the joint as he had been doing all season. For the first time, the Fed Ex crowd began chants for Ramsey. I happened to look down at the Redskins bench and I saw a few players (Rock Cartwright was one, I think) asking the crowd to stop chanting. Under Spurrier, I'm guessing the players would have chanted with the fans.Last year was all about team building and finding the right guys. They are probably still one or two "right guys" away from really putting something special together. The rest of this year should be really interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread