What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hail to the Redskins! (2 Viewers)

As I said, I was impressed with the Skins on 3rd down. Holmgren said in his press conference that the Skins effectively exploited the greener CBs and Andre Dyson has always been a bit of a loose CB. The defense also did a decent job of containing SEA (although I didn't watch the rest of the game, I checked out the stats and the play by play and watched the highlights)- but Jackson also wasn't 100%. Their defense is stingy on points, but can be advanced upon if you're patient.I can't really give props to the run game since Portis still isn't tearing it up on the ground (Brunell has busted off longer runs than Portis lately) and they obviously are a pass first team even in the red zone. This game did prove that the TE is going to be an integral part, although neither TE will lead to fantasy success since they're going to use both to some extent.They also turned the ball over again (more Portis's fault than Brunell's, although the throw was a bit off-target) and didn't cause any turnovers from the usually giving Matt Hasselbeck.The Skins are 3-0. They're playing almost mistake-free, and the mistakes they're making haven't costed them the game yet. They did a good job against the Seahawks, but they're still walking a fine line between success and failure with all these 3rd and longs. Add in the emergence of the Giants, and this division is full of tough competition. The week 8 game at the Giants should be interesting.

The Skins are not good at forcing turnovers at all. They are the a good real life defense and a mediocre fantasy defense. Gregg Williams has shown a lot less blitzing this year as well.

a fg doinked off the upright, 2 feet, its 2-1

and vs dallas they scored 2x on accident, 1-2

vs the bears they didnt score a TD. 0-3

4 plays, 3 wins, those have a way of evenening out over the season

3 wins by a total of 6 points. not exactly a juggernaut, but hey, you are what you are
One thing I was thinking about: even after the Patriots won their first Super Bowl, everyone said how they were lucky and not that good.The fact is the Redskins are 3-0 and they have won the close games, not lost them. It is much better to be the Redskins that Chicago in week 1, or Dallas in week 2, or Seattle in week 4, because they all LOST close games at the very end.

Wow, I'm starting to question Jimmy Johnson now. Redskins are atop the NFC East? He always made me wonder what he's thinking, now he definitely is. Better than the Giants who have the best offense right now, or the Eagles? C'mon Jimmy...

I HOPE he's talking about standings, not who is better....
I hope your joking...
I was hoping Jimmy was joking....This team is not playoff material...

But the bottom line is, I dont care. I know they wont make it, no more sense in wasting my time trying to bring you guys back to reality...

Next thing I'm going to hear?

"Well... the Redskins beat the Cowboys, and the Cowboys beat the Chargers, and the Chargers beat the Patriots. So the Redskins can win the superbowl this year..."

:rolleyes:
How are you defining playoff material?If the NFC is like last year (and it may be worse), there will be maybe 3 teams that are quite good and a bunch of mediocre teams fighting for the last 3 playoff spots. Any team that is 7-7 going into week 16 will be in playoff contention.

The Redskins only need to go 4-7 over their next 11 games to be fighting for a playoff spot in December. Without being too much of a homer, I think they can do it.

I don't see how you guys can get too excited about the "skins new offense."

They seemed to be stuck in 3rd and long for the entire game. That's not not good offense, and it's not winning football. It may have worked against the Seahawks, but that's because well, they are the Seahawks.

The Redskins had 8 3rd down conversions of 9 yards or longer:

3-9-WAS 30 (14:12) (Shotgun) 8-M.Brunell pass to 83-J.Thrash to WAS 44 for 14 yards (21-A.Dyson).

3-13-WAS 17 (5:11) (Shotgun) 8-M.Brunell pass to 83-J.Thrash to WAS 33 for 16 yards (28-M.Boulware). P5

3-13-WAS 30 (3:39) (Shotgun) 8-M.Brunell pass to 89-S.Moss to WAS 45 for 15 yards (21-A.Dyson).

3-10-SEA 23 (5:39) (Shotgun) 8-M.Brunell pass to 88-R.Royal to SEA 13 for 10 yards (94-B.Fisher, 57-K.Bentley).

3-9-WAS 30 (3:23) (Shotgun) 8-M.Brunell pass to 26-C.Portis to WAS 42 for 12 yards (54-D.Lewis).

3-10-WAS 23 (14:12) (Shotgun) 8-M.Brunell pass to 89-S.Moss to WAS 36 for 13 yards (23-M.Trufant).

3-9-WAS 37 (12:47) (Shotgun) 8-M.Brunell up the middle to SEA 45 for 18 yards (26-K.Hamlin).

3-10-SEA 45 (11:15) (Shotgun) 8-M.Brunell pass to 89-S.Moss to SEA 15 for 30 yards (31-K.Herndon).

You can look at that two ways....

1) Wow, Brunell is incredibly clutch.

or

2) The Seahawks pathetic secondary wasn't able to make them pay for it, but other teams will.

I'm inclined to go with #2
This is easy to answer. Last year, this would have converted maybe 1 out of 9, and maybe threw an interception 1 out of the 9 times. This is much, much better and more fun to watch.

Let's see if we can get more objective here.

As a 'Skins fan, they're 3-0, which consists of 1-0 intra division and 3-0 intra-conference. That's a beautiful head start for a team that's likely going to get into the playoffs via the Wild Card or not at all.

Second, their three performances on offense consist of the following, in order:

Week 1 vs. Chicago: 339 total yards, 0 TD's, 9 points; aside from Portis having a strong 2nd half, nothing positive happened on offense.

Week 2 at Dallas: 395 total yards, 2 TD's, 14 points, but looked like crap for the first 55 mins. after which time they put up 167 yards and 2 TD's.

Week 3 vs. Seattle: 367 total yards, 20 points, 2 passing TD's during a game in which they converted 72% of their 3rd downs, primarily through the air.

In short, they are trending upwards. If they're 3-0 now, with a sputtering but improving offense, I have to be optimistic about what they can accomplish later on in the season when Brunell will have had more time with the 1st team offense. Already we saw today that Seattle was forced to play their safeties deep out of respect for Moss' speed and the deep pass, which opened up a lot of medium range throws which in turn helped that 3rd down conversion stat.

But as mediocre or even downright poor as they've been on offense, if you amortize their yardage to date this year over 16 games, they'd finish with 5872 total yards, good for 7th overall in 2004 (just behind St. Louis, and just in front of New England. The major thing they need to work on - and the major differnece between them and the Rams and the Pats of last year - is that they aren't converting yards to points, which Gibbs was specifically referencing in his post-game presser today.

Again, there's a lot to be happy about if you're a 'Skins fan. Things are looking up. But there's also a lot of improvment that needs to come about.

In my personal opinion, they're going to come back to earth after traveling to Denver and KC in consecutive weeks, but at the end of the year, they'll be playing their best ball and will secure a Wild Card spot.
This is actually close to my line of thinking. Any team that does well in the playoffs will be play much better football at the end of the season than they are now. The Redskins have hope because it looks like their offense is improving. There is certainly room for improvement. If the Redskins can move the ball against Denver and KC and keep the games close, even if they lose, there will be cause for optimism. And if they win one of the games, look for another 8 pages on this thread.

Question for all the haters: If they win in Denver, no matter how ugly it looks and how "lucky" they get, will you admit that this is a very good team?
I'm rooting for the Redskins, but I would not go that far.

Springs was out?  I know Sean Taylor was out.
Their secondary was so banged-up going into the game that Taylor was their 3rd cornerback. And in response to the post above about Arrington, I don't think you'll be seeing him much this year. His role has been reduced each game, and he was in on 2 plays against Seattle. Gibbs just says noncommittal things about it, but Joe Bugel said on radio yesterday that Arrington won't be playing until he gives up the "make one good play, be out of position the next 5 plays" habits. And there's some talk Arrington refused to play on special teams. He's their 5th LB right now.
I find it fascinating how candid Bugel is with the media compared to how Gibbs never says anything bad about a player. And these two are the best of buddies.

I think clearly LaVar is very talented, I can't question that. He is one of the fastest linebackers in the league. However, because of his tremendous talent, his technique has never been one of the best. Gregg Williams is big on technique, on sure tackles. LaVar has been known to go for the big hit instead of the boring wrap-up tackle. So, that is part of his benching.

LaVar is also a high-profile player. In a way, Gregg Willuiams doesn't like this. He doesn't want one player to be bigger than the team. Remember last year, when despite being the best safety pretty clearly, sean Taylor was a backup entering the season. It was partly for this reason, to keep him from being bigger than the team. Right now Williams has a group of players with no clear outstanding player among them, and he likes that. LaVar starting would disrupt that.

Also, I don't think they really are confident that he is fully recovered. He has yet to play well enough to prove that. And until one of the linebackers being used right now gets hurt or severly underperforms (Marcus Washington, Warrick Holdman, Lemar Marshall, Chris Clemons, Khary Campbell) he has no reason to make a change.

I think the thing to do, if I was LaVar Arrington, would be to play special teams. Take a lesson from Jeremiah Trotter last year, who was a sort of outcast who had to re-prove himself to his teammates. LaVar should play special teams with a vigor and abandon and get noticed, make some tackles, and don't worry about the number of plays he gets. If he does this, he'll be back on the field in no time.

Just my take.
Taylor was slowly worked into the games as a rookie because the coaches were concerned about him making mistakes and giving up a big play. They knew he is super talented, but that also allowed him to make poor decisions in college and make up for them with his speed.Arrington appears to be in the same position since he is sometimes out of position. I agree that he should play special teams, since that is something team-oriented players would do.

Finally, if Arrington is not a very good starter (say near pro bowl caliber) by the end of the season, he will certainly be a June 1 cut. I doubt anyone will trade for him with his hefty salaries and bonuses due, although you never know.

What should the Skins do with him?  Well they can't do anything but hope the light turns on in his head at this point. 
Is there team out there that employees more of a free lance system that is weak at LB...I know regular season trades are few in the NFL, but maybe they could do it in the offseason. I really am saddened by all this....I own his jersey and have always been a fan of his hard hitting style.
Trading Arrington during this season is impossible. There would be a huge cap hit, requiring the Redskins to cut additional players to stay under the cap.

LOL...yeah, look what they have done.

They beat the ragged Cowpies...with some last second heroics. They beat the perenial toilet bowl Seahawks...with some last second heroics. And what else were you bragging about...the freaking Bears?

LMAO...a 1/2 game lead, after having played nobody...and two games against Philly in their future...LMAO.

Put down the champagne, man...it aint happening for Washington. :lmao:   :lmao:
A 2-2 Cowboys team that has beaten SD on the road is ragged?A first place Seahawk team that 90% of the people here are predicting to make the playoffs and made the playoffs each of the past few years is a perenial toilet bowl team?

Let me guess you're more impressed with the Bucs(have beaten Min, Det, GB, Buf) and the Bengals(have beaten Cle, Chi, Min, Hous)?

Either you're completely fishing or you're just not very bright...either way, I don't really care to carry on this discussion much further with you.
Oh, so I am "not very bright" because I don't prematurely ejaculate on a team in week 4, like you have. LOL...yeah, OK.Regardless...I will respond to your awarding of the Lombardi trophy to the Redskins after 4 weeks.

Yes, I said the perennial toilet bowl Seahawks. Gosh Golly...everyone is predicting them to be in the playoffs? Imagine that. What makes this different from any OTHER year? They get an automatic bid to the playoffs every year from the talking heads...and then they go 9-7. It took an 8-8 record to make the playoffs last season in the NFC...and those teams went out in the first round of those playoffs. Oh, but an oracle of wisdom and knowledge like you would know this, wouldn't you? Is this your first year watching Football?

Hey, the Rams made the playoffs last year too...they must have been AWESOME!

And the Cowboys beat the Chargers. Wowie!! They did so in week ONE, and should be happy they don't have to play them now. They also lost to the freaking Raiders. Sure, I have said that the Raiders are better than their record...but the Cowpies seem to be the only team that hasn't found a way to beat them.

And they got torched by...LMFAO...Mark Brunell...on Monday night, in front of everyone! Oh, did I forget...they nearly lost to the freaking 49ers! Even the Cardinals couldn't find a way to do THAT!

LMAO...its so freaking funny watching everyone blow their loads AGAIN over teams like the Cowpies and the Redskins and the Seahawks...year after year after year, in the first few weeks of the season.

By your logic...the Cowpies are "great" because they beat the Chargers. The 49ers almost beat the Cowpies...so they must be great too. That obviously means we should forego the season and simply forfeit over the Lombardi trophy to the Arizona Cardinals...who WHIPPED the 49ers.

What teams are for real? The Pittsburgh Steelers are for real. The Philly Eagles are for real. The Indy Colts are for real. Some of the others MAY BE for real...and some of the others WILL be for real...but outside of these three...its WAY to early to call that!

And while I won't blow my load just yet...the Cincy Bengals MIGHT turn out to be for real.

So before you go spouting off about an 8-8 playoff berth, and calling me names because I won't jump on the bandwagon, why don't you stick with "I disagree" and give me something better than "they beat the seahawks" as a reason to take them seriously.

And if name calling is the best part of your argument (and it is the best I have seen so far), give me a reason to take YOU seriously.

*edited for gramatical correction only*

Last edited by a moderator:

They beat the ragged Cowpies...with some last second heroics. They beat the perenial toilet bowl Seahawks...with some last second heroics. And what else were you bragging about...the freaking Bears?

LMAO...a 1/2 game lead, after having played nobody...and two games against Philly in their future...LMAO.

A 2-2 Cowboys team that has beaten SD on the road is ragged?A first place Seahawk team that 90% of the people here are predicting to make the playoffs and made the playoffs each of the past few years is a perenial toilet bowl team?

Let me guess you're more impressed with the Bucs(have beaten Min, Det, GB, Buf) and the Bengals(have beaten Cle, Chi, Min, Hous)?

Either you're completely fishing or you're just not very bright...either way, I don't really care to carry on this discussion much further with you.
Oh, so I am "not very bright" because I don't prematurely ejaculate on a team in week 4, like you have. LOL...yeah, OK.Regardless...I will respond to your awarding of the Lombardi trophy to the Redskins after 4 weeks.

Yes, I said the perennial toilet bowl Seahawks. Gosh Golly...everyone is predicting them to be in the playoffs? Imagine that. What makes this different from any OTHER year? They get an automatic bid to the playoffs every year from the talking heads...and then they go 9-7. It took an 8-8 record to make the playoffs last season in the NFC...and those teams went out in the first round of those playoffs. Oh, but an oracle of wisdom and knowledge like you would know this, wouldn't you? Is this your first year watching Football?

And the Cowboys beat the Chargers. Wowie!! They did so in week ONE, and should be happy they don't have to play them now. They also lost to the freaking Raiders. Sure, I have said that the Raiders are better than their record...but the Cowpies seem to be the only team that hasn't found a way to beat them.

And they got torched by...LMFAO...Mark Brunell...on Monday night, in front of everyone! Oh, did I forget...they nearly lost to the freaking 49ers! Even the Cardinals couldn't find a way to do THAT!

LMAO...its so freaking funny watching everyone blow their loads AGAIN over teams like the Cowpies and the Redskins and the Seahawks...year after year after year, in the first few weeks of the season.

By your logic...the Cowpies are "great" because they beat the Chargers. The 49ers almost beat the Cowpies...so they must be great too. That obviously means we should forego the season and simply forfeit over the Lombardi trophy to the Arizona Cardinals...who WHIPPED the 49ers.

What teams are for real? The Pittsburgh Steelers are for real. The Philly Eagles are for real. The Indy Colts are for real. Some of the others MAY BE for real...and some of the others WILL be for real...but outside of these three...its WAY to early to call that!

And while I won't blow my load just yet...the Cincy Bengals MIGHT turn out to be for real.

So before you go spouting off about an 8-8 playoff berth, and calling me names because I won't jump on the bandwagon, why don't you stick with "I disagree" and give me something better than "they beat the seahawks" as a reason to take them seriously.

And if name calling is the best part of your argument (and it is the best I have seen so far), give me a reason to take YOU seriously.

um, chill pill?? :pics:

um, chill pill?? :pics:
LOL...why me? Guy wants to disagree...fine, I have no problem with that. Guy wants to call me an idiot...and he's gonna get it back. Guy chooses to call me an idiot...while saying stupid things...and its very nearly my DUTY to expose him...LMAO.

But when its all said and done...not to worry. I am contently...chilled. :popcorn:

I'm so sick of seeing this thread on the board, let it die already!It's just cluttering the new information, this is a stupid thread anyways.Talk about beating a dead horse!

I'm so sick of seeing this thread on the board, let it die already!

It's just cluttering the new information, this is a stupid thread anyways.

Talk about beating a dead horse!
And yet, you bumped it all the way back to the top. :rolleyes:

lol, no kidding. You hate the thread so much yet here you are posting in it. Thanks for visiting! :bye:

Speaking of the Redskins horrible offense, does anyone know where to get starting field position data for the league? I'm guessing the Redskins are dead last. I can only remember one "drive" that started in the opponent's territory and that was after Orton's fumble at the end of the game and the Skins just kneeled down. A big part of producing points is not having to go 80 yards every time.
:confirmed:The Redskins are 32nd in the league in starting field position, starting at their own 21.77. They are fifth in yards per drive, though, going an average of 34.33 yards each drive.

Link

FYI - Skins get taken to the cleaners this week.....LAY THE POINTS!!!!!!!
sig bet says you're wrong
That sig bet thing is no big deal to me....I really don't care what your sig says.....and OF COURSE I COULD BE WRONG, ..........I just think Washington on raod in Denver with their offence won't get it done......I told you so, would be good enough for me.Denv 24

Washinton 10

I'm so sick of seeing this thread on the board, let it die already!

It's just cluttering the new information, this is a stupid thread anyways.

Talk about beating a dead horse!
Denver sucks. They'll find a way to lose to this team, at home, no less.

The Redskins are 32nd in the league in starting field position, starting at their own 21.77. They are fifth in yards per drive, though, going an average of 34.33 yards each drive.

Link
Look at Net yards/drive (team's yards/drive minus opponent's yards/drive) and it's pretty interesting who the top teams are: same linkPHI

PIT

WAS

SEA

TB

CIN

IND

The Skins are not good at forcing turnovers at all. They are the a good real life defense and a mediocre fantasy defense. Gregg Williams has shown a lot less blitzing this year as well.
no disagreement here for now, although if they continue to have trouble pressuring the QB as some here have predicted, then you may see more blitzes.

a fg doinked off the upright, 2 feet, its 2-1

and vs dallas they scored 2x on accident, 1-2

vs the bears they didnt score a TD. 0-3

4 plays, 3 wins, those have a way of evenening out over the season

3 wins by a total of 6 points. not exactly a juggernaut, but hey, you are what you are
One thing I was thinking about: even after the Patriots won their first Super Bowl, everyone said how they were lucky and not that good.The fact is the Redskins are 3-0 and they have won the close games, not lost them. It is much better to be the Redskins that Chicago in week 1, or Dallas in week 2, or Seattle in week 4, because they all LOST close games at the very end.
Forget who said it(might have been Gibbs a long time ago) but theres a famous quote that comes to mind:You win games, then you become a good team. NOt the other way around.

As I said, I'm not going to carry on the conversation. Anyone who think that Seattle is a perenial toilet bowl team has to be fishing...they make the playoffs nearly every year and probably will this year as well. The Redskins have not played a weak schedule at all so far- probably just about average. You want some stats to back that claim up, here you go: The teams that Washington has played are 5-3 in their other games. I apologize for insulting you(although "not very bright" isn't much of an insult)- thats usually not what I'm about, and it won't happen again. However, for you to attack the level of the Skin's opponents when they are 5-3 and include a team that everyone is predicting to make the playoffs comes across as very uninformed to me. It would be one thing to say that you think its a weak schedule, but you insulted those teams visciously(sp?), and that was totally out of line since they are two very decent teams.Anyway, again I apologize for "insulting" you. However, if really think that playing Dallas and Seattle 2 out of your first 3 is a weak schedule, then we simply can't have a good discsusion, as I don't even know where to begin. Again, I'll point to cold hard facts like Seattle has made the playoffs the past few years and that those teams are 5-3 in non-Washington games. You really never have given any good argument as to why you believe those teams are bad- you just threw silly insults at them. So, as I said when I started this post- we can't carry on this conversation, as I simply can't intelligently discuss something with someone who ignores all facts and thinks the Seahawks are perenially a bad team.

FYI - Skins get taken to the cleaners this week.....LAY THE POINTS!!!!!!!
sig bet says you're wrong
That sig bet thing is no big deal to me....I really don't care what your sig says.....and OF COURSE I COULD BE WRONG, ..........I just think Washington on raod in Denver with their offence won't get it done......I told you so, would be good enough for me.Denv 24

Washinton 10
ok..so just a friendly bet...heres the stipulation though- loser has to show up here and take his medicine. No avoiding this thread if you lose.

tough first loss...2 big plays really did us in. Nevertheless, I'm happy with a ton of things about this team:1.Heart- this team is never out of a game. They have played great this year when trailing late.2.Brunell-not making a lot of mistakes3.Moss- looking like a top 10 WR

tough first loss...2 big plays really did us in. Nevertheless, I'm happy with a ton of things about this team:

1.Heart- this team is never out of a game. They have played great this year when trailing late.

2.Brunell-not making a lot of mistakes

3.Moss- looking like a top 10 WR
The Redskins really blew that game. The Broncos won because of two big Tatum Bell runs that should have been stopped. Other than those two runs, they really did nothing all day.An offsides nullified a field goal at the end of the first half.

They had a short field goal blocked, which led to the second long run by Bell a few plays later.

They had a safety called back be review that I don't think should have been reversed.

Brunell probably could have run the ball in for the two-point conversion, but didn't.

So, really, those penalties lost the game for them. Tough loss, lucky win for the Broncos.

tough first loss...2 big plays really did us in. Nevertheless, I'm happy with a ton of things about this team:

1.Heart- this team is never out of a game. They have played great this year when trailing late.

The Redskins really blew that game. The Broncos won because of two big Tatum Bell runs that should have been stopped. Other than those two runs, they really did nothing all day.An offsides nullified a field goal at the end of the first half.

They had a short field goal blocked, which led to the second long run by Bell a few plays later.

They had a safety called back be review that I don't think should have been reversed.

Brunell probably could have run the ball in for the two-point conversion, but didn't.

So, really, those penalties lost the game for them. Tough loss, lucky win for the Broncos.
I really was unimpressed by the Broncos. All week people were telling me how great they supposedly were, but they looked like an average team to me. With that said, the Skins just didn't execute on a few key plays and were the victims of 2 long runs. No excuses here: the Skins lost. But I remain very optimstic. If theres such thing as a "good win", then this was it, as there were a ton of positives to take from today's game.

Dont let the score of that game confuse you, the Skins owned the Broncos today and hopefully silenced all critics that said they were a joke...

the refs, i mean, the broncos...but the skins dominated the time of possesion, total yards, first downs...

He's actually right, the Broncos offense was really shut down all day except for those two long Tatum Bell runs. At one point they had 5 straight 3-and-outs.The Redskins' mistakes blew this game for them, and the officials screwed it up too with that reversal of the safety and the call-back of the Patten touchdown.

I really was unimpressed by the Broncos. All week people were telling me how great they supposedly were, but they looked like an average team to me. With that said, the Skins just didn't execute on a few key plays and were the victims of 2 long runs. No excuses here: the Skins lost. But I remain very optimstic. If theres such thing as a "good win", then this was it, as there were a ton of positives to take from today's game.
Think you may want to edit this one...

He's actually right, the Broncos offense was really shut down all day except for those two long Tatum Bell runs. At one point they had 5 straight 3-and-outs.

The Redskins' mistakes blew this game for them, and the officials screwed it up too with that reversal of the safety and the call-back of the Patten touchdown.
The reversal of the safety was the right call. The tuck rule may be a dumb rule, but it's still a rule. The Skins scored on the same drive that the Patten TD was called back, so that call had little affect. You can't just discount the long TD runs. The Skins looked like #### on those two runs. The Broncos looked pretty damn good. The refs had some bad calls both ways. The two bad ones against the Skins, the Wilson missed interference call and the Patten interference call, ended up being irrelevant, as the Skins scored anyway. They missed obvious holding against the Skins O line all day long, including two on the last drive. And the holding call in Karl Payman on the last drive was a joke.

the Skins owned the Broncos today
Elaborate.....
They actually could have won. They had a 5 yard illegal procedure call on a made FG right before the half and then had to go for a hail mary. I didn't see the play so I don't know if that was a bad call. They also had a FG blocked. Denver had Tatum's two long runs, but Washington did outplay them overall and probably should have won. Denver scored 3 times, but got in the end zone all three and Washington scored 4 times, but got only two TDs, and should have converted on 2 other scoring opportunities.It was a very good game till the end, but after seeing Denver crush KC at home, Washington looked like the real deal on the road in Denver. That is a tough place to play.

He's actually right, the Broncos offense was really shut down all day except for those two long Tatum Bell runs.  At one point they had 5 straight 3-and-outs.

The Redskins' mistakes blew this game for them, and the officials screwed it up too with that reversal of the safety and the call-back of the Patten touchdown.
The reversal of the safety was the right call. The tuck rule may be a dumb rule, but it's still a rule. The Skins scored on the same drive that the Patten TD was called back, so that call had little affect. You can't just discount the long TD runs. The Skins looked like #### on those two runs. The Broncos looked pretty damn good. The refs had some bad calls both ways. The two bad ones against the Skins, the Wilson missed interference call and the Patten interference call, ended up being irrelevant, as the Skins scored anyway. They missed obvious holding against the Skins O line all day long, including two on the last drive. And the holding call in Karl Payman on the last drive was a joke.
Sure, the skins looked terrible on those two long runs, and the Broncos looked great. But what about THE REST OF THE GAME??? The Broncos had 5 consecutive 3-and-out drives. The skins moved the ball, but were killed by their mistakes, including the Brunell/Portis fumble on the first drive, the blocked kick, the kick called back because of offsides, etc.This was a lucky win by the Broncos, they really played horribly. And again, a bad loss by the skins.

Dude, get over it, the Broncos won because they're the better team. Seriously, get over it. It's very annoying when fans say, "Well, we would have won if (and then they proceed to list like six thousand mistakes their team made)." Maybe they made all those mistakes 'cause they are just not good.

I could go on a list a bunch of mistakes the Broncos made and say, had they not done this or that they would have won by 20, but hey, it's football, mistakes are made. And in the end, the better team wins more often than not.

He's actually right, the Broncos offense was really shut down all day except for those two long Tatum Bell runs.  At one point they had 5 straight 3-and-outs.

Sure, the skins looked terrible on those two long runs, and the Broncos looked great. But what about THE REST OF THE GAME??? The Broncos had 5 consecutive 3-and-out drives. The skins moved the ball, but were killed by their mistakes, including the Brunell/Portis fumble on the first drive, the blocked kick, the kick called back because of offsides, etc.This was a lucky win by the Broncos, they really played horribly. And again, a bad loss by the skins.
There's a reason they play 60 minutes bud. Two long plays are two long plays. They have an effect on the outcome for a reason. You can't just throw them aside, and say yeah, but on the other 60 plays, this happened...Do you consider the Skins win over Dallas lucky because they only had two long plays? I don't.

Dont let the score of that game confuse you, the Skins owned the Broncos today and hopefully silenced all critics that said they were a joke...
The skins should have played good...................they had two weeks to prepare for this game.

Dude, get over it, the Broncos won because they're the better team. Seriously, get over it. It's very annoying when fans say, "Well, we would have won if (and then they proceed to list like six thousand mistakes their team made)." Maybe they made all those mistakes 'cause they are just not good.

I could go on a list a bunch of mistakes the Broncos made and say, had they not done this or that they would have won by 20, but hey, it's football, mistakes are made. And in the end, the better team wins more often than not.
If you go back and read, I wasn't saying the better team won last week between the Redskins and Seattle.If you don't think the Redskins played better than the Broncos today, I doubt you actually saw the game. Plummer passed for 92 yards. Is that a sign of a good team??

There's a reason they play 60 minutes bud. Two long plays are two long plays. They have an effect on the outcome for a reason. You can't just throw them aside, and say yeah, but on the other 60 plays, this happened...Do you consider the Skins win over Dallas lucky because they only had two long plays? I don't.
Actually I do. I take the majority of the game into account more than 2 big plays. The Broncos were better than the skins on 2 plays. For the rest of the game, the skins were better.That satisfy you??

Sounds like the Cowboys game, amazing how things even out.

I hear ya, but those kinds of mistakes are inexcusable for a "good" team. Until the Skins cut down on those, they can't take that step up in respectability. I was hoping the relatively clean performance against Seattle last week (penaltywise) was a turning point, but it's clear there is still work to do. That illegal procedure penalty on the 54-yarder is just dumb. The penalties that put them in 1st and 2nd and long take their toll. And to be fair, the Skins got some favorable calls on that last drive. Some of the breaks evened out today...the mistakes killed them. All in all, I *still* believe things are on the up and up for the [doc]Burgundy and Gold[/walker], but there is still room to improve. The offense isn't at the point where it can easily overcome these mistakes. It is vastly improved, but they can't afford to give anything up. The mistakes bit them today.

Users who are viewing this thread