What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hail to the Redskins! (1 Viewer)

His genius is in handling and managing people, and in getting groups of guys to work together and to believe.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I knew Gibbs had something going with this team last year against GB. Brunell was stinking up the joint as he had been doing all season. For the first time, the Fed Ex crowd began chants for Ramsey. I happened to look down at the Redskins bench and I saw a few players (Rock Cartwright was one, I think) asking the crowd to stop chanting. Under Spurrier, I'm guessing the players would have chanted with the fans.Last year was all about team building and finding the right guys. They are probably still one or two "right guys" away from really putting something special together. The rest of this year should be really interesting.
And is it just me or did anyone else notice the total abscense of any references to Dan Synder or gratuitious shots of him cheering in the owers box so that an announcer could take cheap shots at him? They showed Lurie, but nere a shot of Danny, that I saw at least. Maybe that sideshow has run its course.

Another example was when Brunell fumbled, the ball was rolling around and picked up by an Eagles D-lineman who headed for the end zone. Portis was 7-10 yards downfield in a pass pattern, saw the ball loose and headed for it like a rocket. He tackled the D-lineman from behind. There are many efforts like that this year.

Portis is also one hell of a team player. He blocks, his effort is there 100% of the time. He made a catch to keep a drive alive where he leaped from his knees, caught it, and landed with both elbows in bounds to keep a drive alive. Not a monster play, but kept another drive alive.

I love the NFC East this year. This is the way it oughta be ---- all 4 teams could win it. It's getting back to the way it used to be years ago ---- every division game means something, either team could win, level of competition is high, and the playoffs are a legitimate thought for all 4 teams at this time.
Maybe. He still blamed his line last year. I just think he goes down WAY to easy. It seems like as soon as somebody gets a hand or arm on him, he goes down like a thirsty alter boy.

Another example was when Brunell fumbled, the ball was rolling around and picked up by an Eagles D-lineman who headed for the end zone. Portis was 7-10 yards downfield in a pass pattern, saw the ball loose and headed for it like a rocket. He tackled the D-lineman from behind. There are many efforts like that this year.

Portis is also one hell of a team player. He blocks, his effort is there 100% of the time. He made a catch to keep a drive alive where he leaped from his knees, caught it, and landed with both elbows in bounds to keep a drive alive. Not a monster play, but kept another drive alive.

I love the NFC East this year. This is the way it oughta be ---- all 4 teams could win it. It's getting back to the way it used to be years ago ---- every division game means something, either team could win, level of competition is high, and the playoffs are a legitimate thought for all 4 teams at this time.
Maybe. He still blamed his line last year. I just think he goes down WAY to easy. It seems like as soon as somebody gets a hand or arm on him, he goes down like a thirsty alter boy.
Well, he's not John Riggins and he's never going to be. I can't complain about a guy who's hi size and whose coaches still run him up the middle more than they run him on sweeps which is his strength. He's never complained about being used improperly despite that being the case IMHO. And he's an excellent blocker who more than once has had to come out of a game for a play or two because his blitz pick up on a larger guy was so violent. I know you don't like him - the costumes are a bit much! - but as a 'Skins fan I really can't complain about the guy.

His genius is in handling and managing people, and in getting groups of guys to work together and to believe.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I knew Gibbs had something going with this team last year against GB. Brunell was stinking up the joint as he had been doing all season. For the first time, the Fed Ex crowd began chants for Ramsey. I happened to look down at the Redskins bench and I saw a few players (Rock Cartwright was one, I think) asking the crowd to stop chanting. Under Spurrier, I'm guessing the players would have chanted with the fans.Last year was all about team building and finding the right guys. They are probably still one or two "right guys" away from really putting something special together. The rest of this year should be really interesting.
And is it just me or did anyone else notice the total abscense of any references to Dan Synder or gratuitious shots of him cheering in the owers box so that an announcer could take cheap shots at him? They showed Lurie, but nere a shot of Danny, that I saw at least. Maybe that sideshow has run its course.
It was ESPN. Do you honestly think with all the Owens talk and the roller coaster Eagles' season that they would care about Danny last night? If the Eagles had come out of the gate and controlled the game, you'd hear nothing but praise for McNabb and Reid for rallying the troops. Since they lost, it will be nothing but 'what if Owens had played?' As usual, with all the pregame and such, ESPN found a way to make the Skins an afterthought in their own home game.

I think your post is 100% accurate. I dunno if they will put together something special, but he's definitely installing a better system in that organization. Whether it survives him or not will be interesting.

NFC East: Based on the schedule, the Redskins might have the best chance to pull out the division. This four-way race, though, should go down to the last two weeks. The Redskins' remaining foes have a combined 34-31 record, and the biggest challenges should come within the division. The two games against winning teams outside of the NFC East are vs. the Bucs and Chargers. They have winnable games against the Raiders and Cardinals. That's a far cry from what the Cowboys face. The Cowboys have the toughest closing schedule in the division, against teams with a combined 39-25 record. Six of their next seven games are against winning teams, and they close with a tough one against the Rams. The other problem is location. They have three division games remaining, all on the road. They were 2-1 in the division home games. To make up that loss to the Redskins earlier this season, they have to win one or two divisional road games. The Eagles' season could be determined in the next two weeks. They face the Cowboys Monday night and the Giants the following Sunday. If they lose both games, the season is pretty much over. They're already in last place, and they would lose their chance to catch up to the other winning teams in the division. They are already 0-2 in the NFC East and will start losing the tiebreakers if they can't make up ground over the next two weeks. The Giants have a great chance to win the division or get a wild-card berth. They get the benefit of playing the Chiefs at home in December, but their other three December games are all on the road, and that could be tricky. All the teams in this division will have a tough time getting to 11 or 12 wins because they have to play too many good teams. Each team could end up playing a dozen games this year against teams with records of 8-8 or better. Plus, they will be beating up each other so much, the losses from those games will affect their seedings.Prediction: Redskins win division, Giants grab wild card.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor...john&id=2217806

This irritating thread doesn't need to get lost in the back pages.

As I told you jwvdcw. It was just a matter of time until they realized they weren't that good. I told you they would fade back into mediocrity and they are doing it. Hate to say I told you so, but I will.
:lmao: .... and what will you say when they win vs. Philly next week? :popcorn:
Do you need more proof that this team is overated? Was the 36-0 ### kickin not good enough? This is an 8-8 team at best.Don't you have anything better to do like cry about the SEC and ACC not getting their props? Do you seriously care about which conference is best from year to year? WHO CARES!
Wrong thread buddy. I know it's a down year for your beloved Sooners, but at least post in the right thread of your gonna :cry: about it.Oh and rather than changing the subject, what will you say if Wash beats Philly next week? :lmao:
:crickets:
:tumbleweed:
I guess he only shows up when the Skins lose, and runs and hides when they win.And we were the ones being called bandwagon fans :rolleyes:

This irritating thread doesn't need to get lost in the back pages.

As I told you jwvdcw. It was just a matter of time until they realized they weren't that good. I told you they would fade back into mediocrity and they are doing it. Hate to say I told you so, but I will.
:lmao: .... and what will you say when they win vs. Philly next week? :popcorn:
Do you need more proof that this team is overated? Was the 36-0 ### kickin not good enough? This is an 8-8 team at best.Don't you have anything better to do like cry about the SEC and ACC not getting their props? Do you seriously care about which conference is best from year to year? WHO CARES!
Wrong thread buddy. I know it's a down year for your beloved Sooners, but at least post in the right thread of your gonna :cry: about it.Oh and rather than changing the subject, what will you say if Wash beats Philly next week? :lmao:
:crickets:
:tumbleweed:
I guess he only shows up when the Skins lose, and runs and hides when they win.And we were the ones being called bandwagon fans :rolleyes:
still waiting....

Tough loss for the Skins there on Sun. Can they bounce back in the tough NFC East?
I think so. Correct some defensive flaws, keep opening up running room for Portis, keep improving on special teams, beat the snot out of Oakland, and they'll be looking a bit better than after the Tampa game.

Tough loss for the Skins there on Sun. Can they bounce back in the tough NFC East?
They get the Giants and Cowboys at home in weeks 15 and 16, so I'd say they're still very much in the race.

Soooooo....................................if the Redskins' win against the Cowboys was a "fluke" and a "miracle" and "didn't really count", what shall we say about the Cowboys' win against the Eagles?Inquiring minds want to know. :boxing:

Soooooo....................................

if the Redskins' win against the Cowboys was a "fluke" and a "miracle" and "didn't really count", what shall we say about the Cowboys' win against the Eagles?

Inquiring minds want to know. :boxing:
The Cowboys lost a game they should've won and won one they should've lost.

Soooooo....................................

if the Redskins' win against the Cowboys was a "fluke" and a "miracle" and "didn't really count", what shall we say about the Cowboys' win against the Eagles?

Inquiring minds want to know. :boxing:
The Cowboys won a game they should have lost and lost a game they should have won, I guess it evens out. No wait, they should have won the Seattle game also. So the football gods still owe Dallas one more "miracle" win.

handoff to Portis

incomplete pass

incomplete pass

repeat

:wall:
Yep, they deserved to lose the game today. Awful play calling by Gibbs when you've got the lead and you're trying to run out the clock with one of the better backs in football as your RB :X

I didn't get the game here in NY, but obviously I'm disappointed to be losing to a team that we need to beat if we want to consider ourselves contenders. Can't say that I'm very confident in this team right now. Hopefully Gibbs can turn things around quickly.

I was at the game today and I call the Redskins performance a tale of two halfs.The first half the Redskins D was playing great football - they were stopping the run and the secondary played very tight coverage. And of course the interception for a TD was a big help as well.In the second half the tough run D was there but the secondary took the half off. The Oakland receivers were getting open and making the plays to get down the field and score the porter TD and the field goals.Of course the D was most likely tired for spending so much time out on the field because of the lack of offense by the skins.Other notes:There were two seperate occasions where Moss beat the coverage and was wide open and could easily get a TD but Collins didn't look his way. Moss waved his hands on both occasions but Collins did not lock on to him. Moss was very upset both times Collins did not see him. He jumped up and down several times, smacked his hands and shook his head with disgust.Arrington is back to his old dominant ways - he had the great 3rd & 1 stop on Jordan within the red zone to make Oakland kick the FG. He also made some other great plays as well. The crowd was really supportive of him when he made the big plays complete with cheers and standing ovations.Brunell really struggled today (it was obvious if you watched the game or saw the stat line). He just couldn't connect and over threw so many passes by atleast 5-10 yards. There were a couple of occasions in the 4th quarter that the offense was booed as it had 3 and outs after another.The final Redskins drive of the 4th quarter showed again the horrible clock management of the Redskins. The 4th and 2 play where Brunell just stood there and took the sack and fumbled with 16 seconds left was just the icing on the cake.The last Raiders offensive drive in the 4th where they were forced to kick the game winner - Jordan obviously fumbled the ball on the 3rd down play. The showed the replay over and over and we saw the ball pop out. The crowd really booed the refs and the Redskins coaches were arguing with the refs pointing to the replay showing that the ball was out and the refs did nothing. Gibbs had a conference with the refs and did not challenge the play so the refs must have told him something. - It seems like the Redskins got the shaft again for the second straight week at the goal-line with bad calls. I have not seen the replay since I have been home so I will wait to see it on ESPN before I pass my final judgement.If you have any questions about the game post them and I'll try my best to answer.*EDIT*I forgot to mention the two Portis fumbles. They were the difference makers in the game. Both times he fumbled the Skins were in the process of putting together two nice offensive drives only to have Portis fumble.Also Rock Cartwright played 1 (maybe 2) offensive series at RB. I do not know why Portis was out during that time. He was standing on the sideline with a towel around his neck so it wasn't a minor injury.Also Brunell really looks to Cooley a lot as shown in todays game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Consistent problems:offensive turnoverslack of depth (showing up in secondary, D-line, and now at WR)bad clock managementlack of pass rush

As a Bronco fan that has the Redskins #1 pick.  Please let the losing streak continue.  :thumbup:
Poor winners are FAR MORE annoying than sore losers. Keep this s%*t to yourself clowny.
Well since there is no Winners here. I really don't see how your clowny post applysSince I am not talking about Denver beating Washington.. O wait they did.

I am just hoping that Washington #1 pick is a good pick. Don't cry cause Washington made a bad trade. And there is nothing wrong with hoping another team loses since everyone does it.

As a Bronco fan that has the Redskins #1 pick.  Please let the losing streak continue.  :thumbup:
Poor winners are FAR MORE annoying than sore losers. Keep this s%*t to yourself clowny.
Bitter much? I feel the same way as greenroom and probably would have posted had he not beat me to the punch. No harm in wanting the Broncos to have a top 15 pick. It has nothing to do with being a 'poor winner', whatever the hell that is. Get over it.

If anyone doesn't think that they can compete with anyone in the NFC at home maybe, you're crazy. Who are the top teams in the NFC? Seattle, Dallas, NYG, and Chicago are probably the top 4, no? Well Washington is 3-1 against them.
Good teams adapt to the competition, win on the road, and fix their mistakes. The Skins failed to do that. They can't keep from turning the ball over, they can't hold a lead, they can't get a threat opposite Santana Moss to take off the pressure he's been getting, and their play calling still could use some mixing up. That leads to an average team.If you don't want to accept a non-fan critique of your team, go to Steve Czaban's site and read his game-by-game reaction. He's a Skins fan, but he has kept a running tally of all their faults this season.

Consistent problems:

offensive turnovers

lack of depth (showing up in secondary, D-line, and now at WR)

bad clock management

lack of pass rush
Add to that:failing to protect leads

If anyone doesn't think that they can compete with anyone in the NFC at home maybe, you're crazy. Who are the top teams in the NFC? Seattle, Dallas, NYG, and Chicago are probably the top 4, no? Well Washington is 3-1 against them.
Good teams adapt to the competition, win on the road, and fix their mistakes. The Skins failed to do that. They can't keep from turning the ball over, they can't hold a lead, they can't get a threat opposite Santana Moss to take off the pressure he's been getting, and their play calling still could use some mixing up. That leads to an average team.If you don't want to accept a non-fan critique of your team, go to Steve Czaban's site and read his game-by-game reaction. He's a Skins fan, but he has kept a running tally of all their faults this season.
I realize that they have a ton of faults...the point of my post was to say that this year the entire NFC has a lot of faults, so I think that Washington could've competed. And they did beat Dallas on the road.

I realize that they have a ton of faults...the point of my post was to say that this year the entire NFC has a lot of faults, so I think that Washington could've competed. And they did beat Dallas on the road.
They did compete- they just didn't make the most of it. Beating DAL on the road is one game out of the season- and they looked bad doing it. The point is, the Skins' strength was supposed to be their defense- and that's exactly what has cost them in the last 3 weeks. They finally got some good INTs today- then let the one guy that could burn them burn them...twice. They weren't giving up big plays at the start of the season- now they are. Good teams make adjustments and make those plays stop happening. Gibbs needs to spend less of his time whining about calls made last weekend and more time getting his players focused and ready for the upcoming game.

They did compete- they just didn't make the most of it. Beating DAL on the road is one game out of the season- and they looked bad doing it. The point is, the Skins' strength was supposed to be their defense- and that's exactly what has cost them in the last 3 weeks. They finally got some good INTs today- then let the one guy that could burn them burn them...twice. They weren't giving up big plays at the start of the season- now they are. Good teams make adjustments and make those plays stop happening. Gibbs needs to spend less of his time whining about calls made last weekend and more time getting his players focused and ready for the upcoming game.
Yeah, well, when your offense only gets one first down the entire second half; the D is bound to get worn out. This is clearly the offense's fault. They're simply not getting the job done AT ALL. Especially in the 2nd half. Brunell is taking sacks and throwing the ball away way too often. They're not trying to make plays, they're trying to play it safe and it's cost them.

funny thing is..they could still win the division. They are two games out, but the Giants and Cowboys play next week and the Skins play each of them at home. If the Skins win those games, they'd most likely have the tiebreakers(they'd definitely have it over Dallas and probably over NYG).

funny thing is..they could still win the division. They are two games out, but the Giants and Cowboys play next week and the Skins play each of them at home. If the Skins win those games, they'd most likely have the tiebreakers(they'd definitely have it over Dallas and probably over NYG).
That is possible, but very unlikely. After their 3-0 start, the Redskins are 2-6. That is hardly the mark of a team likely to overcome two teams to win the division with only five games to play. Washington had a nice little start where they overachieved, but they quickly crashed to earth. Losing to Oakland last week crippled their season.

Had the Skins pulled out any number of the close losses they had (Denver, KC, Tampa, Oakland, SD), I'd say they have a chance, but this team is reeling. After awhile, losing these close games and blowing leads will affect any team. What really hurt them the past couple weeks IMO is conservative playcalling late with the lead. They put the game in the defenses hands too much. I know Gibbs would like to lineup and just run out the clock, but clearly this version of the Hogs ain't like his old one. Run, run, then tough 3rd and 5 is not the way to end the game if the opposing team is sitting there waiting for you to run it. I know Gibbs likes to play the percentages and it should work if the offense could execute (perfect example is today's STUPID holding penalty on Rabach). But the OL has it's struggles on obvious running plays. The Skins run a nice playaction that bootlegs Brunell to the left with Cooley and a TE (not Royal, geez, this guy couldn't catch a damn cold) out with him as pass options. Brunell also has just enough left in his legs to be able to have a run-pass option. They did this on 4th and short vs the Bucs on their last scoring drive and it worked perfectly. Something like that when they're trying to kill the clock would work IMO.

I told you they were a .500 team when you started this dumbazz thread. Listen up next time, Sparky.

The Redskins are the worst 2-0 team in NFL history.  They barely eecked out a win against the lowly Bears who offense compares to a small college offense.  Then after a major collapse from Dallas they pull out a win.  I admit I am a bitter Cowboys fan that is hurting still 2 weeks later after that loss but it is comical to think that your team is playoff bound. I am putting this out there as a sig bet.  Dallas will win more games than the Redskins

whats up do you accept jwvdcw?

For your sig

"Dallas Cowboys are Americas team and the greatest team in the history of the NFL

You have to wear that sig until next season
Again, I'll ask, how did thie Cowboys give it away? The Skins took it! And don't forget that lowly bears offense scored nearly 40 points the next week.Yeah, I'm up for that sig bet...since this is an entire season long one, how long should we keep it up for? The entire offseason?
I accept this sig bet. The loser will have to keep the sig up all offseason. I will keep an eye for your sig if the Redskins somehow pull off a miracle and emerge with a better record than the boys.
jwvdcw just wanted to remind about our sig bet. After week 12 the Skins are 2 games back of the Cowboys.

Users who are viewing this thread