What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

He went to Jared (2 Viewers)

Can we get some type of official thread of stores/restaurants that are universally hated on by the FFA as a guide to n00bs...

Or a guide of things you just don't do...

Olive Garden

Jared

Well done steak

etc, etc

My wife and I watched the movie Blood Diamond. Now if I ever buy her a diamond again she'll kick me in the groin. She was actually pissed about her diamond engagement ring.

I didn't bother to tell her that you can buy conflict-free diamonds mined in Canada. I'll just let her live the rest of her life hating diamonds.

:rolleyes:
My girl is the same way. Said she didn't want a diamond in her ring. Of course, I knew that as soon as she told everyone that she got engaged, the gaggle of golddiggers would instantly ask to see the ring, and thus label me as some sort of cheapskate. so, ended up using my grandmother's engagement ring. Getting the stones reset, but this way, she gets a diamond (albeit 70 years old) GB recycling.BTW, the sentimental value of using a dead grandmother's ring sends the romantic level through the roof.

Last edited by a moderator:
The fact that we are talking about Jared means their marketing must work
If their marketing goal is to get me to spend money to buy their products then no, it doesn't.
:rolleyes: If a commercial is mildly annoying but somehow controversial, revving up a lot of discussion, then one could argue it's achieving its goal. But to stir up outright hatred and revulsion--it's not achieving its goal. Everyone posting here is the target audience, the demographic spending the money. These ads are run during football games. Women might like them, and some might try to nudge their bfs/husbands into the door, but with so many alternatives, I think a lot of guys are so turned off by these abominations that they'll go somewhere else.

Hey. Did anyone think to say that the fact that there is a thread is a fact that makes their marketing campain a success, in fact?

If their marketing goal is to get me to spend money to buy their products then no, it doesn't.
:goodposting: I think the idea that as long as people are talking about you, it's a good thing, must have been thought up by a really bad marketing person. On the other hand, they did a tremendous job getting people to buy into that ridiculous concept.

This would be like going to a party, getting totally wasted, defecating on yourself in front of all the hot women, exposing your tiny twig and berries, putting your junk in the punch bowl and asking all the guys if they'd like to try it, and then being happy the next day because everyone is talking about it.

:goodposting: I think the idea that as long as people are talking about you, it's a good thing, must have been thought up by a really bad marketing person. On the other hand, they did a tremendous job getting people to buy into that ridiculous concept.

This would be like going to a party, getting totally wasted, defecating on yourself in front of all the hot women, exposing your tiny twig and berries, putting your junk in the punch bowl and asking all the guys if they'd like to try it, and then being happy the next day because everyone is talking about it.
LHUCKS syndrome.

Kay Jewelers is the leader in the clubhouse with obnoxious holiday commercials. Between the one with the deaf chick and the dude who's trying to get in her pants and the one with Jane Seymour as she's painting the Open Heart pendant and the oldie but goodie with the black guy who gives his wife a Kay something while the kids watch them smooch, Kay's got all the bases covered.

BTW, if you're having the sechs with a deaf chick it doesn't matter if you shout out her name or some other chicks name in the heat of the moment. She won't hear you either way. :mellow:

:lmao: at people thinking they're not going to get stiffed if they go to a "reputable" jeweler.
:goodposting: Just because anyone can screw you, that doesn't make them all thieves.
absolutely agree.but there seems to be a blind "mall jewelers, etc. are just out to tip you off.. for the real deal you need to talk to this jeweler guy i know who is only out to help people and not make a profit" vibe.diamonds/jewelry are like cars. if you buy a car from Joey Joe Joe Shabadoo's Auto Shack and you buy it at sticker.. you're taking it in the can.if you listen to people telling you that you got ripped and you should have bought your car from boutique dealer Karl von Snootyguy and you buy it at sticker.. you took it in the can.everybody doesn't have access to the diamond district.. not all of us live in big cities with myriad options and not all of us can afford to shop w/o considering cost.do your research, know what you want, negotiate, get it appraised and it shouldn't matter where you buy it. and if your wife/gf/husband/bf is happy then in the end that's all that matters. :angry:

You all need to learn from the master. If your going to get married, tell her you will need to travel for it. I was able to get a trip to Amsterdam with the boys in the name of buying a diamond. Turns out I saved well over $3.5K in the process and got her a slightly better stone that I set out to buy.

In additon, at some point in our life I will have to take her to Damn Square to show her where I bought it.

Kay Jewelers is the leader in the clubhouse with obnoxious holiday commercials. Between the one with the deaf chick and the dude who's trying to get in her pants and the one with Jane Seymour as she's painting the Open Heart pendant and the oldie but goodie with the black guy who gives his wife a Kay something while the kids watch them smooch, Kay's got all the bases covered.BTW, if you're having the sechs with a deaf chick it doesn't matter if you shout out her name or some other chicks name in the heat of the moment. She won't hear you either way. :goodposting:
And if she's all Helen Keller, you can't tell if she's screaming your name either.

You all need to learn from the master. If your going to get married, tell her you will need to travel for it. I was able to get a trip to Amsterdam with the boys in the name of buying a diamond. Turns out I saved well over $3.5K in the process and got her a slightly better stone that I set out to buy.In additon, at some point in our life I will have to take her to Damn Square to show her where I bought it.
how did you save 3.5k on a diamond by going to europe? did you get it years ago?

You all need to learn from the master. If your going to get married, tell her you will need to travel for it. I was able to get a trip to Amsterdam with the boys in the name of buying a diamond. Turns out I saved well over $3.5K in the process and got her a slightly better stone that I set out to buy.

In additon, at some point in our life I will have to take her to Damn Square to show her where I bought it.
Nobody saves anything on diamonds unless you chisel the sucker out of the ground yourself. Don't kid yourself.

Buying a diamond = "getting stiffed" regardless of where you buy it.

Diamonds do not keep your feet warm, they don't get you from point A to point B, they don't keep your kids safe, they don't increase the value of your house.

They are decorations...expensive decorations.

The market for diamonds was created by the diamond companies themselves...DeBeers namely. In the 1940s they started a campaign to cram the idea of needing a diamond engagement ring down the throats of American women/girls. They actually send lecturers to high schools around the country to reach young girls. These lectures were all about diamond engagement rings.

Their ad agency also started a program where they sent information about celebrities and the diamonds they wore to over 100 newspapers around the country. They also arranged for female celebrities to wear diamonds anytime they appeared on the still-new medium of televison.

Not to mention the diamond companies manipulate the market artificially by controlling the amount of dimonds out there AND discouraging merchants from purchasing diamonds from consumers. "A diamond is forever".

I'd never go to any mall store... ever. I can't believe that so many people buy from them.

They are so overpriced and their pieces so unoriginal. Maybe I just feel this way because everything is mass produced and thus, lacks originality.

Having a jeweler you know is the only way to go. You can get truly stunning stones in very impressive settings at a fraction of the price.

Also, as long as you're avoiding impulse buys, you can play the field and take advantage of "right place, right time" opportunities. It really is the only way to go.

Bottom line, if you buy jewelery with any type of regularity or frequency, you need your own jeweler that is not in a mall.
:popcorn: My wife and I have found some very nice custom designs/jewelers through etsy.com We tend to prefer semi-precious stones like turquoise, amber etc and settings in not-gold/not-silver/not-platinum metals (copper is big with us (my wife has coppery red hair and green eyes)).

I'd never go to any mall store... ever. I can't believe that so many people buy from them.

They are so overpriced and their pieces so unoriginal. Maybe I just feel this way because everything is mass produced and thus, lacks originality.

Having a jeweler you know is the only way to go. You can get truly stunning stones in very impressive settings at a fraction of the price.

Also, as long as you're avoiding impulse buys, you can play the field and take advantage of "right place, right time" opportunities. It really is the only way to go.

Bottom line, if you buy jewelery with any type of regularity or frequency, you need your own jeweler that is not in a mall.
:lol: My wife and I have found some very nice custom designs/jewelers through etsy.com We tend to prefer semi-precious stones like turquoise, amber etc and settings in not-gold/not-silver/not-platinum metals (copper is big with us (my wife has coppery red hair and green eyes)).
Copper and Turquoise coin earrings by Cigar Box Earrings (done biz with them, satisfied).

You all need to learn from the master. If your going to get married, tell her you will need to travel for it. I was able to get a trip to Amsterdam with the boys in the name of buying a diamond. Turns out I saved well over $3.5K in the process and got her a slightly better stone that I set out to buy.In additon, at some point in our life I will have to take her to Damn Square to show her where I bought it.
how did you save 3.5k on a diamond by going to europe? did you get it years ago?
Yup, about 5 1/2 years ago.

Nobody saves anything on diamonds unless you chisel the sucker out of the ground yourself. Don't kid yourself.
Fair. And I understand that diamonds are overpriced. I also understand there are enough diamonds in the vaults of London to fill a dixe cup and hand out to everyone that lives in the St of New York. But considering what diamonds do retail for in the US, you can go overseas to purchase one at a cheaper rate and get a vacation out of the deal.Frankly, I felt damn good about it at the time knowing that I "had" to buy one.

Diamonds do not keep your feet warm, they don't get you from point A to point B, they don't keep your kids safe, they don't increase the value of your house.

The market for diamonds was created by the diamond companies themselves...DeBeers namely. In the 1940s they started a campaign to cram the idea of needing a diamond engagement ring down the throats of American women/girls. They actually send lecturers to high schools around the country to reach young girls. These lectures were all about diamond engagement rings.

Their ad agency also started a program where they sent information about celebrities and the diamonds they wore to over 100 newspapers around the country. They also arranged for female celebrities to wear diamonds anytime they appeared on the still-new medium of televison.

Not to mention the diamond companies manipulate the market artificially by controlling the amount of dimonds out there AND discouraging merchants from purchasing diamonds from consumers. "A diamond is forever".
Yep, but it will get you to point P.About 15 years ago co-worker was telling me how her boyfriend "invested" in diamonds. And by investing, I mean buying and holding actually diamonds. I didn't have the heart to tell her he was a freaking moron.

prosopis said:
I cant help but wonder if Jane Seymour really designed the open hearts.
The open heart design is just plain fugly. Worry, someone had to say it.
Is "open heart design" the one that looks like it should be "I Love Balls"?
:moneybag: :censored: :popcorn:

:goodposting: My wife and I have found some very nice custom designs/jewelers through etsy.com We tend to prefer semi-precious stones like turquoise, amber etc and settings in not-gold/not-silver/not-platinum metals (copper is big with us (my wife has coppery red hair and green eyes)).
I :thumbup: etsy.com ... too much, maybe. And, guys, if your wife doesn't know about Etsy ... you probably don't want to start her down that path ... just ask Mr. MEH ...

Yep, but it will get you to point P.About 15 years ago co-worker was telling me how her boyfriend "invested" in diamonds. And by investing, I mean buying and holding actually diamonds. I didn't have the heart to tell her he was a freaking moron.
:lmao: Flowers die, but they still love the. Lets not make thisthread about trying to figure out women.

So...for a schmuck who has no idea where to begin, where does one start shopping for an engagement ring? If not Jared, Kay, Kesslers etc, how would one know ballpark prices? :unsure: :bag:
Walsh Jewelers on Appleton Ave in Menomonee Falls - ask for Bud.

Yep, but it will get you to point P.
Good point. BUT if you can't get to point P without the diamonds you're screwed. And GB in poor SOB that has to buy diamonds to get to the P.

BTW, if you're having the sechs with a deaf chick it doesn't matter if you shout out her name or some other chicks name in the heat of the moment. She won't hear you either way. :excited:
Only if you're doing it doggy or w/lights out. They can read lips!! :topcat:

Users who are viewing this thread