What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

He went to Jared (1 Viewer)

Otis said:
In fairness, I bought my fiance a nice engagement rock, but only because she didn't care about one in the slightest. She loves it now, but it's nothing she ever would have expected or cared for beforehand, let alone demanded (as some women do). I'm glad I did it.
you don't have to justify it to us
Justifying it to myself :unsure:

Otis said:
In fairness, I bought my fiance a nice engagement rock, but only because she didn't care about one in the slightest. She loves it now, but it's nothing she ever would have expected or cared for beforehand, let alone demanded (as some women do). I'm glad I did it.
you don't have to justify it to us
Justifying it to myself :thumbup:
Does this mean there will be no more pics of her?

Diamonds are pretty much worthless. The only thing that gives them value, perceived value, is the fact that the diamond cartel has put limits on quantities released. Diamonds are so common that if what was found in one year was released to the public market the saturation point would happen in about a month.

Some fiancees don't even want a diamond. :thumbup:
:bs: When a woman says that, it's a test and a trap. You're about to fail one and fall in to the other. You poor, stupid bastage... :no:
My wife didn't want one. She swore off them after seeing Blood Diamond. Of course, she still got one when we got engaged. It was my grandmother's engagement ring, so if anyone died getting that diamond, they died long time ago. Plus, it meant more to her being a family heirloom and it didn't cost me a cent :)

Good discussion. :heart: Question: why do women who like and/or insist upon diamonds (engagement rings or other jewelry pieces) feel this way? What compels them to desire these stones? Fellow FBwomen are encouraged to respond. I'm genuinely curious.
:heart: I'm not too into jewelry, and I've never asked for diamonds as presents from boyfriends, but I have to admit to wanting one for an engagement ring. :goodposting:

Please resume Tanner-->Woz smackdown.
"Yeah, no" is not a smackdown and Tanner is ignoring the fact that relative to some non-jewelry gifts the lowest thing in the store is much cheaper and the girl probably doesn't know it.
The point is, thinking of the woman in your life as part of a gift-for-sex construct (subliminal or otherwise) is kind of sad and pathetic, though I suppose it does explain the 'women are materialistic whores' conclusion.

Good discussion. :rolleyes: Question: why do women who like and/or insist upon diamonds (engagement rings or other jewelry pieces) feel this way? What compels them to desire these stones? Fellow FBwomen are encouraged to respond. I'm genuinely curious.
:D I'm not too into jewelry, and I've never asked for diamonds as presents from boyfriends, but I have to admit to wanting one for an engagement ring. :bag:
No need to don the bag, YSR. I'm just curious. Thanks for your honesty.piratemike> count me in that group.

"Yeah, no" is not a smackdown and Tanner is ignoring the fact that relative to some non-jewelry gifts the lowest thing in the store is much cheaper and the girl probably doesn't know it.
The point is, thinking of the woman in your life as part of a gift-for-sex construct (subliminal or otherwise) is kind of sad and pathetic, though I suppose it does explain the 'women are materialistic whores' conclusion.
... not to mention, simplistic and thoughtless.Woz, do you still feel like that about women? Were those thoughts confined to your college years, or have you changed your mind?

Good discussion. :rolleyes: Question: why do women who like and/or insist upon diamonds (engagement rings or other jewelry pieces) feel this way? What compels them to desire these stones? Fellow FBwomen are encouraged to respond. I'm genuinely curious.
:D I'm not too into jewelry, and I've never asked for diamonds as presents from boyfriends, but I have to admit to wanting one for an engagement ring. :bag:
No need to don the bag, YSR. I'm just curious. Thanks for your honesty.piratemike> count me in that group.
The bag is really for me, as I recognize that a large part of my wanting the diamond is more about "keeping up with the Joneses".

I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Miller Lites than Kay.

The bag is really for me, as I recognize that a large part of my wanting the diamond is more about "keeping up with the Joneses".
Interesting. It's crossed my mind that a ring (no matter its style) can also be desirable as a symbol of one's marital status -- the idea that a woman won't get hit on if she's wearing a ring. However, we all know that that's no deterrent to some men at times. Have you found that this line of thought was a motivation for you as well?

I think some of you are missing the benefit to these commercials. They are not geared to men, they are geared to women. So, they're being led to believe this stuff is great. Now, factor in this beneficial social requirement that price tags be taken off any gift. What do we get?WE GET THE ABILITY TO BUY ANY DAMN THING, PARTICULARLY THE CHEAPEST THING, FROM THESE STORES AND BE GODS FOR IT. I was poor as #### in college. Of course, the girl I dated at the time, however, (who was normally pretty understanding), wanted to be like her friends and get diamonds. So what'd I do? Go to Kay Jewelers every christmas/anniversary/bday and asked for the cheapest thing they had. I am fully confident I could have given her an old sock but so long as it came in a Kay box she loved me for it. Don't hate these stores - they make gift giving for us quite simple and inexpensive if we're smart about it.
This has so many kinds of wrong my head hurts.
How so? My theory is you buy the cheapest thing at one of the stupid stores and the girl is going to love you for it. These stores and their propoganda provide:1. The relief from thinking of a gift on our own2. A relatively cheap option (like I said, just buy the cheapest thing there)3. The subliminal message that a girl must/should put out if they get something from you. I don't know why any of those three things would give you a headache. I also only claimed the store has "some benefits." While we'd be better off without these stores, fact is they exist. So, see them for the positive they do have to offer and quit worrying about the negative.
1. God forbid you think about what to give as a gift. Trust me on this one, sport. Women really, really, really love it when you give them something that proves you listen to them and think about them. "Well you said you had a jewelry box like that when you were little and I saw this at the store and..."2. Define 'cheap'. Jewelry, especially diamonds, are a total scam.3. Yeah, no.And how about not supporting something that perpetuates the idea that women should be materialistic, money grubbing whores?
You bought it because it is the socially accepted convention for a man proving his love to a woman. It would garner approval and admiration from your friends and acquaintances.I can appreciate the idea that you would want to show your love for your fiancee, but there are plenty of ways that you could have done that otherwise. You chose to buy the nice ring for the exact reasons that Jared markets itself in the way that it does.I'm not saying it's wrong, I just think that ultimately you are playing into the same paradigm that you are claiming to despise.

Some fiancees don't even want a diamond. :goodposting:
:( When a woman says that, it's a test and a trap. You're about to fail one and fall in to the other. You poor, stupid bastage... :thumbup:
My wife didn't want one. She swore off them after seeing Blood Diamond. Of course, she still got one when we got engaged. It was my grandmother's engagement ring, so if anyone died getting that diamond, they died long time ago. Plus, it meant more to her being a family heirloom and it didn't cost me a cent :)
Hopefully the family is over that little "tugging incident" at the side of Grandma's coffin! :D j/k of course, as I was with my original post. My wife didn't want any big ring or anything and actually felt I overspent to get the one I wanted for her. So I can appreciate the whole "she didn't want one thing." But, I wanted it, and I'm pretty sure she enjoys having it. It's nothing ostentatious, but nice.

Hey, did any of you engaged or married guys choose your ring with your beloved after you popped the question? :tumbleweed:

You bought it because it is the socially accepted convention for a man proving his love to a woman. It would garner approval and admiration from your friends and acquaintances.I can appreciate the idea that you would want to show your love for your fiancee, but there are plenty of ways that you could have done that otherwise. You chose to buy the nice ring for the exact reasons that Jared markets itself in the way that it does.

I'm not saying it's wrong, I just think that ultimately you are playing into the same paradigm that you are claiming to despise.
XI never said I despised anything other than those terrible ads for Jared, the cheapest and cheesiest of mall jewelers out there. I'm old fashioned and have no problem with the whole buying-a-chick-a-diamond thing. Your beef is with those other guys. Obviously I understand that I can show my affection for a woman in ways other than a ring -- and I do, and I think those ways are way more important -- but it's also something I knew she would appreciate and she does, and I think it's pretty cool and not that big a deal.

... not to mention, simplistic and thoughtless.Woz, do you still feel like that about women? Were those thoughts confined to your college years, or have you changed your mind?
No, I am not a big gift giver and in my experience sex is going to be inherent and gifts unnecessary. If a guy ever needs to buy his SO a gift just to get sex, he should throw in the towel. You guys are getting all hyped up on language I used that I thought was clear hyperbole from Brian. However, due to my experience which for the most part I'd consider positive (I really didn't see materialistic girls until I got my job title and headed out west and the girls clearly thought I had more to offer in that department than I do and it's sad) I find it safe to say that the majority of girls/women like jewelry. Yeah it's useless, but so is a lot of stuff we like such as sports memorabilia, etc. so I don't really see a problem if a girl wants a shiny thing for a gift and it makes her happy. My ultimate point than that you guys are missing is that these stupid stores help us cater to that desire and make gift-giving "easy." Henceforth I think that benefit outweighs the negative of these stores maybe upping a girls desire for something "useless" when I'm of the opinion the natural desire is there for them anyway.

Interesting. It's crossed my mind that a ring (no matter its style) can also be desirable as a symbol of one's marital status -- the idea that a woman won't get hit on if she's wearing a ring. However, we all know that that's no deterrent to some men at times. Have you found that this line of thought was a motivation for you as well?
I grew up in a smallish Southern town where my family has lived for years. Whether I like it or not, and even though I recognize it for its antiquated nature, it's somewhat ingrained in me that I need to grow up, find a nice boy, settle down and make babies.So, for me, the ring is a symbol of marital status - but not so much for the deterrent to men, but rather as a symbol that I did what was expected of me.I'm a strong, independent woman but still seem to kowtow to Southern tradition. :rolleyes:

I grew up in a smallish Southern town where my family has lived for years. Whether I like it or not, and even though I recognize it for its antiquated nature, it's somewhat ingrained in me that I need to grow up, find a nice boy, settle down and make babies.So, for me, the ring is a symbol of marital status - but not so much for the deterrent to men, but rather as a symbol that I did what was expected of me.I'm a strong, independent woman but still seem to kowtow to Southern tradition. :shrug:
Ah, I see. Is your family happy with your nice boy? :) The traditions of our environment in our younger years can be very strong indeed, and things sure get interesting when we understand our relationship to them. Pretty interesting, YSR. Thanks for your thoughts. :thumbup:

No, I am not a big gift giver and in my experience sex is going to be inherent and gifts unnecessary. If a guy ever needs to buy his SO a gift just to get sex, he should throw in the towel. You guys are getting all hyped up on language I used that I thought was clear hyperbole from Brian. However, due to my experience which for the most part I'd consider positive (I really didn't see materialistic girls until I got my job title and headed out west and the girls clearly thought I had more to offer in that department than I do and it's sad) I find it safe to say that the majority of girls/women like jewelry. Yeah it's useless, but so is a lot of stuff we like such as sports memorabilia, etc. so I don't really see a problem if a girl wants a shiny thing for a gift and it makes her happy. My ultimate point than that you guys are missing is that these stupid stores help us cater to that desire and make gift-giving "easy." Henceforth I think that benefit outweighs the negative of these stores maybe upping a girls desire for something "useless" when I'm of the opinion the natural desire is there for them anyway.
Time to put down the thesaurus and pick up the dictionary, bud.

do you miss the "in my experience" qualifier? And the henceforth I'm just used to typing and seeing too much everyday so it slips in sometimes.

Good discussion. :thumbup: Question: why do women who like and/or insist upon diamonds (engagement rings or other jewelry pieces) feel this way? What compels them to desire these stones? Fellow FBwomen are encouraged to respond. I'm genuinely curious.
:shrug: I'm not too into jewelry, and I've never asked for diamonds as presents from boyfriends, but I have to admit to wanting one for an engagement ring. :bag:
you're a chick?? :popcorn: Pickles really let me down here

Good discussion. :own3d: Question: why do women who like and/or insist upon diamonds (engagement rings or other jewelry pieces) feel this way? What compels them to desire these stones? Fellow FBwomen are encouraged to respond. I'm genuinely curious.
I have never been one to go nuts over real jewelry. I mean it is nice, but nothing to go crazy over. I love costume jewelry. Like Lia Sophia.

Good discussion. :cry: Question: why do women who like and/or insist upon diamonds (engagement rings or other jewelry pieces) feel this way? What compels them to desire these stones? Fellow FBwomen are encouraged to respond. I'm genuinely curious.
:shrug: I'm not too into jewelry, and I've never asked for diamonds as presents from boyfriends, but I have to admit to wanting one for an engagement ring. :bag:
you're a chick?? :own3d: Pickles really let me down here
I am confused, too.

Good discussion. :cry: Question: why do women who like and/or insist upon diamonds (engagement rings or other jewelry pieces) feel this way? What compels them to desire these stones? Fellow FBwomen are encouraged to respond. I'm genuinely curious.
you're a chick?? :own3d: Pickles really let me down here
I am confused, too.
How so?

YSR said:
Girl A+ said:
Good discussion. :lmao: Question: why do women who like and/or insist upon diamonds (engagement rings or other jewelry pieces) feel this way? What compels them to desire these stones? Fellow FBwomen are encouraged to respond. I'm genuinely curious.
:lmao: I'm not too into jewelry, and I've never asked for diamonds as presents from boyfriends, but I have to admit to wanting one for an engagement ring. :lmao:
you're a chick?? :lmao: Pickles really let me down here
I am confused, too.
How so?
I was never aware that you are a female. Not that it matters, but I thought you were a guy. Sorry.

I always try to shop in stores that are "The Galleria" of something. "Galleria" always denotes quality products and good customer service.

I was never aware that you are a female. Not that it matters, but I thought you were a guy. Sorry.
Girl A+, you kill me. Check your PMs, dork. :goodposting: On topic: I started reading Blood Diamonds by Greg Campbell this week. Boy, is it eye-opening.

Yesterday, I ran across an article from a 1982 edition of The Atlantic called Have You Ever Tried to Sell a Diamond? It's a long read and was written a few years ago, but very informative.

No, I am not a big gift giver and in my experience sex is going to be inherent and gifts unnecessary. If a guy ever needs to buy his SO a gift just to get sex, he should throw in the towel.

You guys are getting all hyped up on language I used that I thought was clear hyperbole from Brian. However, due to my experience which for the most part I'd consider positive (I really didn't see materialistic girls until I got my job title and headed out west and the girls clearly thought I had more to offer in that department than I do and it's sad) I find it safe to say that the majority of girls/women like jewelry. Yeah it's useless, but so is a lot of stuff we like such as sports memorabilia, etc. so I don't really see a problem if a girl wants a shiny thing for a gift and it makes her happy. My ultimate point than that you guys are missing is that these stupid stores help us cater to that desire and make gift-giving "easy." Henceforth I think that benefit outweighs the negative of these stores maybe upping a girls desire for something "useless" when I'm of the opinion the natural desire is there for them anyway.
:shrug: ####### horrible and he's doing this in every thread now.

Users who are viewing this thread