What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Homemade French Fries (1 Viewer)

ChiefD

Footballguy
Years ago I started a quest to make the perfect french fry. My inspiration was the fries they serve at Joe's Kansas City, which makes some damn good BBQ. I smoke ribs from time to time, so the fries are a nice complement along with the beans I smoke under the ribs all day.

Anyway, the following is a gift to you. This method makes a fry that can inspire people. It can create world peace. It can accomplish the following:

1. If you are single, any girl you want can be wooed with these fries.

2, If you are married, your wife will want you like never before and the other MILF's in the neighborhood will look at you longingly, knowing their p-whipped husbands could never produce something as awesome as this.

3. If you have friends addicted to crack, this will cure them because they literally are, and I quote from multiple fry eaters: "These are like crack."

4. The neighborhood kids will show up on bikes, tricycles, wagons, horse and buggy, zip line, helicopters, roller blades, skateboards, and circus ponies once they start to smell the peanut oil cooking. You will be the "cool dad" in the neighborhood because their dads are at home playing video games and watching HGTV.

5. Your own children will beg and plead and even offer to clean up their rooms if you promise to make fries.

This is no joke. These fries are seriously the most kick-### thing ever. And they are so simple. But most people don't take the time. They think it's difficult. They would rather eat poop out of a squirrels ###### than even try to make french fries from scratch. Or go to a stupid fast food joint, which is basically the same thing. Anyway, here you go. Step by step to fry utopia.

1. Use peanut oil.

2. Get you a deep fryer. Don't be a pus.sy and do these in a pot on your stove. Go to Bass Pro or Cabela's and get a bad-### propane fuc.king deep fryer. The fire is dangerous. Primal. And when you fire that bit.ch up it begs for respect and attention. 

3. Grab a big bag of potatoes. Go to Costco or one of them places where you can buy 700 pounds of them for $18. Because, no matter how many of these you make, people will want more. You make 10 pounds, you will need 20. You make 20 pounds, you will need 80. No ####. I usually use the baker potatoes because bigger is better, amirite? My rule of thumb is one potato per person. Then double it. Some of you may ask: "Why not 2 potatoes per person?" That's a good fuc.king question. Go with that then. It doesn't matter. Whatever you make WILL NOT be enough.

4. Cut your potatoes. Do yourself a favor and buy a mandolin before you even start this process. No, not a stringed instrument, though by the time you are done the fair maidens will be strumming that sombit.ch writing songs about your damn fries. One of these.

5. When you are done cutting your taters, soak em in a big bucket of water for an hour or so. Maybe less. Or more. Depends on how much beer you have. Actually, that brings up another point. Have plenty of beer on hand. This takes time. You ain't doing this on a Tuesday. This is an event. If you run out of beer you may as well dump the peanut oil on your balls because they don't deserve any better treatment than that.

6. Dump your peanut oil in the deep fryer. You need about  halfway up in the pan. Heat this up to 260 degrees.

7. Your first drop is going to be for 10 minutes exactly. Not 9. Not 11, unless you just watched a Spinal Tap movie. Then it's OK. After the ten minutes, dump your fries into a aluminum pan. Make sure you put some paper towels in the bottom to soak up the oil. Something like this

8. Do this for the remainder of your fries. They will NOT be done yet. This is the pre-cook faze, or the first cook faze. Whatever you internet semantic police want to call it. You will need multiple aluminum pans for this. The reason is that you know what will fit back in the deep fryer for the finish faze. Each pan = one drop.

9. After you have pre-cooked your fries, let them cool off for an hour or so. At this point you can drink more beer.

10. Fire up the deep fryer to 350 degrees. This is where the rubber hits the road. This is where the women start to gather, throwing their underwear at you. This is where you are David Lee Fuc.king Roth in his prime. Be really careful with your deep fryer here. It's really easy to get that bit.ch up to 759 degrees if you aren't paying attention.

11. Drop your fries. You will know when they are done when they are floating to the surface, looking at you like: "I need one of these bitc.hes standing around to eat me up."

12. Right when you pull them out of the oil. Sprinkle them with a seasoning salt or whatever you like. I go simple here: Lawry's. For all you fat bassturds out there, you could use a lo-sodium version, but then you kind of defeat the purpose after you just dipped potatoes into a deep fuc.king fryer.

13. Dump them into one of your aluminum pans with a fresh paper towel on the bottom, and salt them again. Lightly.

14. Eat. Distribute. Bask in the glory of being the man of the neighborhood.

I will not lie - these will change the lives of you, your family and your neighborhood. Have a great summer all. Thank me later. :headbang:

Last edited by a moderator:
Needs to be icewater to soak but otherwise on point. 
Never used ice in the water. May have to add this step next time. But damn, if these fries get any more awesome I might have to open up a business. Have a flash sale for fries. $5 a bag.

:thumbup:

Can I serve 80+ people at the 4th of July BBQ with this?  Can I wait more than the hour suggested in step 9?  How long does step 11 take and how many fries can I do at a time?  

Also, favorite brand of peanut oil?  

As a Belgian (where the "french" fry was invented), I know a thing or two about the delicacy and intricacy involved in correctly frying starchy vegetables, and the OP is spot on and has a certified Stamp of Approval from a Belgian™.  

Only thing left out is the huge dollop of homemade mayonnaise like you get from roadside Friktots in Belgium.  Only way to properly eat them.

Can I serve 80+ people at the 4th of July BBQ with this?  You can, but there will be a ton of prep time involved here. For 80 people, plan on 160 potatoes. And at least 14 beers.

Can I wait more than the hour suggested in step 9?  Yes. You can pre-cook these earlier.

How long does step 11 take and how many fries can I do at a time?  Step 11 takes about 7-8 minutes. As far as timing, when I make fries for 30 people or so, I plan on about 3 hours for the whole process. 

Also, favorite brand of peanut oil?  I just use whatever my local HyVee grocery store has on the shelf.

i try to be honest because that is the best policy and i have to be honest this is one of the best posts i have ever read around here i will work on a way to make this out of a garbage can and neat it up a little for the rest of us who aint eatin fries sitting on a wicker chair but hey man good on you take that to the bank bromigo

Indeed, I've followed the same instructions almost to a T to make fries (except I also use ice water). If you get a spiralizer (which my wife uses to make zuccini "spaghetti") you can make pretty good curly fries.

I've used the same method (with the mandoline slicer) to make homemade chips. There's a recipe for BBQ chip seasoning that I found. I gave one to my neighbor and he sent his kid back across the street to get a whole handful. Chips are harder though because if the oil gets too hot, they burn and they're not as good, but if you take them out too soon, they're soggy. But, unlike the fries, the chips don't have to be hot to taste good. The deep fryer is one of the best kitchen toys we have. I love it.

add a nice GLUG of vinegar to your soaking liquid...

then thank me when panties don't drop..... cuz they wont be wearing any. 

Bruce Dickinson said:
Joe's KC BBQ French Fries are the best I've ever had.  If this even comes close they will be phenomenal.
The texture of the fries is almost exact. The seasoning is close - like 96% close. There is something sweet in the Joe's fries I haven't been able to duplicate yet. I have even tried the Joe's fries seasoning they sell at the gas station. What they sell is not the same as what they use at the restaurant, imo.

Hell, you are close enough. Next time I make them you can come over and grab a handful.

The texture of the fries is almost exact. The seasoning is close - like 96% close. There is something sweet in the Joe's fries I haven't been able to duplicate yet. I have even tried the Joe's fries seasoning they sell at the gas station. What they sell is not the same as what they use at the restaurant, imo.

Hell, you are close enough. Next time I make them you can come over and grab a handful.
Yeah there's something a little different from their bottled blends from what they use in the restaurants.  Not saying it's bad - we dig The Squeal on pork and chicken at the house - but it's not an exact match.

Went to the 119th and Strang Line location last week.  Missed lunch so I got a half-slab and an order of fries.  Wasn't hungry until lunch the next day.  It was delightful.  

Can I come too?

culdeus said:
Needs to be icewater to soak but otherwise on point. 
That is the secret. It makes them crisp or crisper. Haven't made fries in a deep fat fryer in 15 years, but that was how I always did it.

on point (with the icewater extra points, but you really need a good recovery heat time in your fryer to pull it off)

and type/style pot don't matter. Volume/temp  of oil and temp/quantity of potatoes is the formula

Make a remoulaude/russian/jalepeno tartar sauce to dip these in

We don't do rooskie commie san francisco fries here in Kansas City. These are man-fries for crissakes.
In France, "French" fries are served with a mayonaise based sauce and its FABULOUS

Want to white trash it up? Mix a jar of Dukes mayo with a can of diced jalapenos and add a minced onion,. Refrig a couple hours, set it beside the fries and watch it disappear.. Also serve with fried catfish

We don't do rooskie commie san francisco fries here in Kansas City. These are man-fries for crissakes.
I have been known to use fries to catch falling pieces of beef and pork.  Burnt ends are an acceptable topping.

Without ever having tried them, I bet you it's a teaspoon of brown sugar. 

In France, "French" fries are served with a mayonaise based sauce and its FABULOUS

Want to white trash it up? Mix a jar of Dukes mayo with a can of diced jalapenos and add a minced onion,. Refrig a couple hours, set it beside the fries and watch it disappear.. Also serve with fried catfish
Here is L.A. you can still get Bob's Blue Cheese Dressing at the market - it is fabulous with fries (and of course a key ingredient of any blue cheese dressing is mayo).

also try 

1c mayo, 1c buttermilk, 1/4c siraccha. juice of two limes

Bleu cheese recipe - 1c mayo, 1c buttermilk, 1/4c crumbled bleu cheese. salt and LOTS of fresh ground black pepper

sense a theme? 1c mayo + 1C buttermilk is the base for anything your mind can aspire.

i need a good frys recipe. i have been making putin but putting it over grocery store sushi instead of fries because i cant make good frys and dont like frozen ones.  its ok but it would bebetter with friys .  see my latest batch here http://i.imgur.com/dxASJqN.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i need a good frys recipe. i have been making putin but putting it over grocery store sushi instead of fries because i cant make good frys and dont like frozen ones.  its ok but it would bebetter with friys .  see my latest batch here http://i.imgur.com/dxASJqN.jpg
If your going to awl the trouble of store-bought sushi, get a can of hole boiled potatos to put on top. Microwave fifteen mintes and you can even eat the sushi

If your going to awl the trouble of store-bought sushi, get a can of hole boiled potatos to put on top. Microwave fifteen mintes and you can even eat the sushi
so make the poutine - poor the boiled potatos over the sushi and the putin on top of that?  seems interesting - thanks for the recipe cosign!

Users who are viewing this thread