What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How long did it take your wife/gf to get pregnant? (1 Viewer)

I'm not asking whether my friend is dumb

• First try

Votes: 79 37.4%
  • 1-3 months/cycles

Votes: 58 27.5%
  • 3-6 months/cycles

Votes: 22 10.4%
  • 6 - 12 months

Votes: 15 7.1%
  • 1 year plus

Votes: 37 17.5%

• Total voters

Zow

Footballguy
After your wife/gf got off birth control and you actively started "trying." A friend wants to know. He's heard conflicting stories and figures this would make for a big enough sample size. :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
We took it for granted that we could just wait until we wanted and then it would happen as soon as we were ready. It doesn't always work like that.

It took us 4 or 5 years. Have a wonderful 2YO boy now, and he's pretty much the greatest thing ever, but it was a long and stressful road getting here. My advice to my 2003 self would be "try sooner".

If the woman is really into getting pregnant... charting her cycle, including taking her temperature, etc.... they can pinpoint the fertile day(s) pretty precisely.

We took it for granted that we could just wait until we wanted and then it would happen as soon as we were ready. It doesn't always work like that.

It took us 4 or 5 years. Have a wonderful 2YO boy now, and he's pretty much the greatest thing ever, but it was a long and stressful road getting here. My advice to my 2003 self would be "try sooner".
Yeah, a friend of mine has a wife who had some barnicles in her uterus, or some such... prevented the fertilized egg from attaching itself to the uterus wall and, hence, no pregnancy. She had to go in for a scraping of some sort to get things cleaned out, then she was able to conceive. Second kid... they went the invetro route.

If the woman is really into getting pregnant... charting her cycle, including taking her temperature, etc.... they can pinpoint the fertile day(s) pretty precisely.
we both had tests run, and there were no fertility issues with either of us. Wife did this (charting, temperature, etc) for 2+ years before we had any luck. Then a miscarriage. Then another 18 months of the same. You can do all the planning and charting you want, and for a lot of people it works. It doesn't for everyone, though.

We never used the pill or any other chemical birth control. So once we started 'trying' it took about 2 cycles.

6 years for my wife to get pregnant. We tried fertility drugs and I even had surgery down by the boys to help.

After 5 & 1/2 years of stressing over it and trying to time it just right each month we decided if it happens it happens.

6 months later :pickle:

Zow said:
After your wife/gf got off birth control and you actively started "trying." A friend wants to know. He's heard conflicting stories and figures this would make for a big enough sample size. :unsure:
Explain "conflicting stories". Or is everybody supposed to get pregnant at the same rate?

Four very long years.....blessed with identical twin girls

#3 was right out of the shoot.

Another girl

4 kids

Wife went off the pill for a few months at one point, but didn't get pregnant. She went back on the pill.

1st kid - Went off the pill about a year later, got pregnant in the first month. Could have been first try, but we don't know for sure. This one was "planned"

2nd kid - wife finished nursing on a Wednesday, got pregnant that Friday night. She had a doctor's appt to go back on the pill the next week. Oops.

3rd kid - wife went back off the pill only because it was making her a #####, got pregnant 2 months later. We weren't preventing, only having fun, but no intention of getting pregnant.

4th kid - wife was still nursing when she got pregnant. "Pity sex" and I failed to eject before the explosion.

Son #1: ~5 months off the pill, then 2-3 months of seriously trying/charting, then pregnant immediately after taking a break

Son #2: Breast feeding should not be relied upon as a primary form of birth control (also hurray 1st mother's day celebration sex)

First try. Was mowing lawn when I got the news that we were successful. Paused for a minute then finished mowing. Best thing that's ever happened in my life.

4 kids

Wife went off the pill for a few months at one point, but didn't get pregnant. She went back on the pill.

1st kid - Went off the pill about a year later, got pregnant in the first month. Could have been first try, but we don't know for sure. This one was "planned"

2nd kid - wife finished nursing on a Wednesday, got pregnant that Friday night. She had a doctor's appt to go back on the pill the next week. Oops.

3rd kid - wife went back off the pill only because it was making her a #####, got pregnant 2 months later. We weren't preventing, only having fun, but no intention of getting pregnant.

4th kid - wife was still nursing when she got pregnant. "Pity sex" and I failed to eject before the explosion.
:lmao: good grief. My sister in law has a similar situation. 4 kids. Only one was planned. The next three it was all "oh my god what are we going to do with another kid".

4 kids

Four kids, only one planned? No wonder your name's FUBAR.

Zow said:
Explain "conflicting stories". Or is everybody supposed to get pregnant at the same rate?
I have people insisting it takes several months after female gets off birth control. That it's a guarantee. I believe they may be doing this to urge my friend to start trying sooner, like ASAP.

Other stories, which I surmise to be true, instead indicate it varies from immediately to over a year.

Zow said:
He's heard conflicting stories and figures this would make for a big enough sample size. :unsure:
You can't be this dumb.
Considering my friend's attention in the past has been to avoid pregnancies, I doubt he ever really paid much attention to how trying to have a baby goes.

Note: my friend's wife has an IUD. Doesn't use pill (but did for years before going on IUD about a year ago).

Zow said:
I have people insisting it takes several months after female gets off birth control. That it's a guarantee. I believe they may be doing this to urge my friend to start trying sooner, like ASAP.

Other stories, which I surmise to be true, instead indicate it varies from immediately to over a year.
It generally takes several months for a woman's hormones to come back into balance and be ripe for procreation after coming off the pill. But, woman aren't ####### clones, so this can vary dramatically.

1st try 5 times (3 miscarriages). I have Super Semen and am not allowed to attend girls HS sporting events.

Note: my friend's wife has an IUD. Doesn't use pill (but did for years before going on IUD about a year ago).
Hormonal or non-hormonal IUD? Don't worry, we'll wait while you ask your wife.
My friend is still at work and I imagine his wife is off talking to other females about babies. He'll let me know when he knows and I'll post it here.

Zow said:

By the way, if this "urging" is true, punch those people in the mouth for being stupid. I'm no doctor, but I'm pretty sure it's not something in sperm that causes the hormonal imbalance to come back into balance, it's simply a matter of time. Trying sooner will cause her to become pregnant sooner, only if her body is ready. Or, it still won't happen for several months if her body is not. And then everyone will be all frustrated because it's not happening when you're "trying". Just have unprotected sex after she goes off the pill and start the charting/voodoo crap in 6-8 months if she's not already pregnant. If you're planning to get her pregnant in 6 months from now, what difference does it make if she gets pregnant NOW?

ETA - for us, my wife is a pre-school teacher with summers off. It made sense for her to have a due date in the summer. Planning coming off the pill and charting became more important and the first time we hit the very end of the window (she missed ~3 weeks of work). For our second, we missed dramatically. What's 9 months after mother's day?

First try. We were still engaged and only half trying. Honeymoon and wedding sort of sucked for her I think. I still got drunk though.

2 kids both planned...both in the first month (I think). 5 minutes/day plan works wonders if you are "trying".

Users who are viewing this thread