What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How Millennial are you? (1 Viewer)

Two of the wife's nieces grew up on the North shore and talked about rice plates...maybe bowls...same as poke, or different thing?

Poke is in the DC burbs as of last weekend at least. And omnipresent- more than burrito spots I think- in NYC. But it's only been the last few years.
Eat poke, get woke? 

thanks- I know what poke is... was just wondering if you'd heard this "rice-plate" thing before and if it was the same thing as poke, or if it was more like traditional indi-caribbean meals with rice and meat, sometimes curry. I could have the term wrong... it was something these girls who grew up on the north shore talked about missing when they moved to the mainland.
Never heard of "rice-plate."  I have heard of both "rice-bowl" and "plate lunch" however.  In my experience, a rice bowl is a bowl of rice topped with vegetables or meat (like a Japanese "don" or "donburi").  Plate lunch is a lunch plate of rice and a couple different selections of meat, vegetables, potato salad, noodles etc. (akin to a Japanese "bento"). 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I guess all of that makes a lot of sense. It’s just odd since ahi poke is as much of a staple in Hawaii as spam. 
You know what's funny about that? The Food Network, for the 20-something years they've been on the air, have gone down to Hawaii a bunch. Saw spam sushi and stuff like that years ago on FN shows. Yet not once to my memory was poke ever shown or mentioned.

I'm probably factually wrong -- my wife and I watched that network a lot, but surely we didn't catch every program and everytime someone visited Hawaii. But you'd think having a whole network dedicated to food, and having something trending like poke, that it would have come up once or twice.

thanks- I know what poke is... was just wondering if you'd heard this "rice-plate" thing before and if it was the same thing as poke, or if it was more like traditional indi-caribbean meals with rice and meat, sometimes curry. I could have the term wrong... it was something these girls who grew up on the north shore talked about missing when they moved to the mainland.
Rice plates are also a thing in Vietnamese cuisine. Commonly, you can get the same meats and veggies served on top your choice of either noodles or rice.

Yeah tried it at my work party.  It was underwhelming.  Didn’t help that they were only doing double orders for sharing and I had to split fruity pebbles with my 6 year old.  Certainly not something I’d ever willingly pay for
I bought rolled ice cream for 11 people at a shop down at the beach - it was like $100 damn dollars.  What I got tasted good but I could have bought 3 gallons of Mayfield for $20 and feed everyone and it would have been just as good.

Yeah - I have no clue why this list is considered Millennial.

My score was 11
We could do a boomer version with Jello salad, Watergate salad, Tab, fondue, cheese logs, tiki drinks, Swedish meatballs, tang, chicken ala king, Harvey Wallbangers, wine coolers 

Yeah....there's very few things more "old school" than bone broth.  How did the Millenials co-opt this?
Apparently ... there are places you can go and just order a cup of bone broth, I guess. Or is more a thing that millenials are more likely to make at home for personal consumption (kind of like "overnight oats", which are not an eat-out food as far as I'm aware)?

We could do a boomer version with Jello salad, Watergate salad, Tab, fondue, cheese logs, tiki drinks, Swedish meatballs, tang, chicken ala king, Harvey Wallbangers, wine coolers 
Watergate salad and fondue are the shizz. Cheese logs and Jello salad are the Devil's smegma.

I think wine coolers can be blamed on early Gen Xers :bag:   unless you mean homemade instead of Bartyles and James-type bottled ones. A cheap Chablis cut with 7-up and a splash of grenadine or Orange Curacao ... that's a fern-bar classic right there.

Tab ... brings back memories of my elementary school teachers and my mom's friends who were all addicted to the stuff. So bad.

Watergate salad and fondue are the shizz. Cheese logs and Jello salad are the Devil's smegma.

I think wine coolers can be blamed on early Gen Xers :bag:   unless you mean homemade instead of Bartyles and James-type bottled ones. A cheap Chablis cut with 7-up and a splash of grenadine or Orange Curacao ... that's a fern-bar classic right there.

Tab ... brings back memories of my elementary school teachers and my mom's friends who were all addicted to the stuff. So bad.
I haven't had many of the things on that list- just going based on what I've heard about growing up. I thought the Bartles and James was an early/mid 80s thing which seems prime Boomer  zone for booze trends, but I very well could be wrong. Now Zima is defintely a Gen X disaster. 

I haven't had many of the things on that list- just going based on what I've heard about growing up. I thought the Bartles and James was an early/mid 80s thing which seems prime Boomer  zone for booze trends, but I very well could be wrong. Now Zima is defintely a Gen X disaster. 
It all kind of blended together :D  The B&Js (no, sadly, not that!) were popular at many a high-school hangout with my late-80s crew. Zima was more of a college & post-college thing.

(I liked wine coolers and Zima :bag:   B&J had great ads, Zima had brutal ones)

It all kind of blended together :D  The B&Js (no, sadly, not that!) were popular at many a high-school hangout with my late-80s crew. Zima was more of a college & post-college thing.

(I liked wine coolers and Zima :bag:   B&J had great ads, Zima had brutal ones)
I will never understand how anyone drank any of that. If you're going to drink swill just get a 30 of keystone then spend the savings on 4th meal and the advil you'll inevitably need 12-14 hours later.

I got 1: Cronut

Also Cronut is not millennial. It's just a delicious pastry invented by a Gen X pastry chef. A millennial would have quickly given up after about 5 minutes trying to merge a croissant and a donut into a super food. 

For real: Can you just pick any Buffalo-area ice cream shop at random and pick up black ice cream? And was that one of your 14?
I am sure there is somewhere here making black ice cream, but that's one of the ones I've never seen / eaten from that list.  

I am sure there is somewhere here making black ice cream, but that's one of the ones I've never seen / eaten from that list.  

Jerk’s Soda Fountain

Whether you’re looking for an old time milkshake or a modern specialty, Jerk’s Soda Fountain has you covered. With classic options like basic milkshakes and floats to crazy freakshakes, Jerk’s can satisfy any craving. 

The menu also offers vegan ice cream, black ice cream with activated charcoal, and ice cream sandwiches made with donuts, brownies and large and small cookies.

Users who are viewing this thread