What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How often do you hear people use the N word? (1 Viewer)

N word poll

• Once a day

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • Once a week

Votes: 13 7.8%
  • Once a month

Votes: 22 13.2%
  • Never

Votes: 126 75.4%

• Total voters
I heard it today many times at a poker game.  A doctor was even in the game.  I kept my head down and said nothing.  One person half heartly made a comment.

I haven’t heard it in person in easily 15 years. 

I hear it nearly every day on Xbox. 

This is assuming we aren’t counting music, movies, and tv. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I have known racists, particularly when I was in the military, to use their own cute little code words.  I avoid these kinds of people like the plague that they are now, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this is probably still common.

I have known racists, particularly when I was in the military, to use their own cute little code words.  I avoid these kinds of people like the plague that they are now, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this is probably still common.
It was common when I lived in PA 25 years ago and now in NC.  

Northern people are more on the low, southern people are right in the open.  But it's funny when a brother comes to the poker game, you never hear it and most times they genuinely like the brother.  Messed up stuff.

It was common when I lived in PA 25 years ago and now in NC.  
Actually the one instance I can remember from many years ago was my friend’s dad at my friend’s wedding. He was from NC. Ablemarle?  Something like that. That was the kind of guy who kept a sixer in his truck and would drink it during the work day. 

Actually the one instance I can remember from many years ago was my friend’s dad at my friend’s wedding. He was from NC. Ablemarle?  Something like that. That was the kind of guy who kept a sixer in his truck and would drink it during the work day. 
I wish I could sterotype my southern poker game.  As I said their was a family doctor there and most people have college degrees.  :(

Also my great Grandmother was in her 90s when I was a kid and she told me “I love that colored boy Urkel, he’s so funny.”

She was from Massachusetts.

In all seriouness though, I don’t encounter open racism often and the people I am around wouldn’t do it privately. My step bro is dating a black girl, my brother went from a Cuban to half Japanese girl, and my wife is Egyptian. The last thing I can remember that even bothered me was actually a black dude asking my wife “hey girl, what you mixed with?”

Northern people are more on the low, southern people are right in the open.  But it's funny when a brother comes to the poker game, you never hear it and most times they genuinely like the brother.  Messed up stuff.
I never underestimate how ingrained #### gets into people when they learn it as a KID.  Many of these folks as adults with real human experience "know" better but still hide behind what they've always believed. 

I never underestimate how ingrained #### gets into people when they learn it as a KID.  Many of these folks as adults with real human experience "know" better but still hide behind what they've always believed. 
I agree, and use of the word is so random.  It started with a old white dude calling another white dude a N.  Then one guy said my kids told me you got to say an "a" at the end.  Old white guy said, I say it with the "er" and that is how I will always do it....can't make this crap up.  

Honestly, I hear it (or overhear it) most when African American folks are talking (often loudly) to each other. 

That doesn't mean I don't hear racist talk. It's just the use of that word has been phased out from what I experience. 
What I am talking about is being with people using the word when you are there with them.  Overhearing stuff isn't what this thread is about.

Honestly, I hear it (or overhear it) most when African American folks are talking (often loudly) to each other. 

That doesn't mean I don't hear racist talk. It's just the use of that word has been phased out from what I experience. 
But thanks for the insight!  I just run in bad crowds it seems.

Not derogatory but on job sites, I hear black guys say it all the time. Walking around, I hear all kids, black white or Hispanic saying it fairly liberally. As far as white friends or other white people I know, almost never. One friend on FB thought it was ok to say it, ending with -a, or -ah. He was called on it a bunch of times and I haven't seen him use it since. That's the only one I can think of.

But when 8 out of 10 people never hear that word IRL, it is shocking to me. Per poll.

Not derogatory but on job sites, I hear black guys say it all the time. Walking around, I hear all kids, black white or Hispanic saying it fairly liberally. As far as white friends or other white people I know, almost never. One friend on FB thought it was ok to say it, ending with -a, or -ah. He was called on it a bunch of times and I haven't seen him use it since. That's the only one I can think of.
Wait, we’re including minorities using it?  That changes my answer drastically.  

There is one guy I work with from time to time that ever since 2016ish he lets it fly regularly, all day.

It just means they value their career.  Arguably more racist because they've thought about it enough to come up with new language.  
Does this include “Canadians?”  When my wife was a waitress in HS, they were all trying not to get the Canadian table... even the black servers. 

This a large gap from "every 30 days" to "never".  
Yeah - I didn't vote because of this.  It's been years, but I have heard it in the past.  Like others, excluding TV/movies/music, I think the last time I heard it was when I was in college 20 years ago.  I went to a rural Virginia high school, and then to UVA - my buddy went to VT.  In certain social groups at VT, it was quite common for it to be thrown around in a derogatory manner. 

I live in NJ now, and since I left Virginia 10 years or so ago, I haven't heard it used.  I feel like it's pretty commonly known that in most cases, use of that word might as well be a dinging bell in an MMA fight.  

Ok, please remove one vote from the never category.    My dear deceased dad says it from time to time when you get him really fired up talking about politics.   

In a derogatory manner, it's been more than a decade.

I hear multiple times per day in the gym locker room and I'm not surprisingly only in there for a few minutes.

I hear black people use it a lot, both derogatory and not.

Maybe once a year for white people using it derogatory.

It is more common recently for non-blacks to use it non-derogatory.

I heard it today many times at a poker game.  A doctor was even in the game.  I kept my head down and said nothing.  One person half heartly made a comment.
you use that word around me im telling you to stop it and grow up brohans thats just how it is either you stand up and be the change you want to see or you talk about it on message boards and nothing happens take that to the bank 

Derogatory?  Hardly ever now although I did hear it somewhat often in the 80’s.  

Only time I ever hear it now is overhearing black people saying it in a non-derogatory fashion.  

If you’re still hearing this in 2019 in your social circles then you obviously haven’t made it clear to others that’s it’s not acceptable. 

you use that word around me im telling you to stop it and grow up brohans thats just how it is either you stand up and be the change you want to see or you talk about it on message boards and nothing happens take that to the bank 
Real life story from last Saturday.  My neighbor who is half white was playing in a poker tournament with me.  

Drunk white guy enters the tourny late and sits next to my neighbor  (MN).

MN is a large man.  DWG sits down, MN said, you said a bad word last time we played together.  DWG, I just said it, didn't call you it, just how I talk.  MN, if you would have went outside, I would have bled you out.

Fun poker.

But when 8 out of 10 people never hear that word IRL, it is shocking to me. Per poll.
That's what I would have expected.

I haven't heard it in years in real life from anyone.

I think it's what was said above, there's a good bit that's on you to let others know what's cool or not. At some point, it's a "you get what you deserve" thing.

Real life story from last Saturday.  My neighbor who is half white was playing in a poker tournament with me.  

Drunk white guy enters the tourny late and sits next to my neighbor  (MN).

MN is a large man.  DWG sits down, MN said, you said a bad word last time we played together.  DWG, I just said it, didn't call you it, just how I talk.  MN, if you would have went outside, I would have bled you out.

Fun poker.
Why do you stay?

Users who are viewing this thread