What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I haven't been to the movie theater since before the Pandemic, when is the last time you went? (1 Viewer)

We saw Guardians. We have our seats reserved for the animated Spiderman movie. We love going to the movies. We go to a cinema with deluze seating, including the pods we sit in. We get food, not just snacks. I figure we go once every month or two. Seeing it at home just isn't the same.

Oh that reminds me, an old theater (regular, not movie) downtown here runs a summer classic film series. There are a number of great movies showing but I want to see if I can sit through Lawrence of Arabia in a theater. I've only ever seen it at home - where I can get up, go to the bathroom, pause, take a nap, etc.
If it's a good cinema, Lawrence is worth seeing that way. The cinematography is amazing. No home theater is going to match it. Same for Ben Hur.

Oh that reminds me, an old theater (regular, not movie) downtown here runs a summer classic film series. There are a number of great movies showing but I want to see if I can sit through Lawrence of Arabia in a theater. I've only ever seen it at home - where I can get up, go to the bathroom, pause, take a nap, etc.
If it's a good cinema, Lawrence is worth seeing that way. The cinematography is amazing. No home theater is going to match it. Same for Ben Hur.
Yeah I am waiting for Lawrence to come to a rep theater around here. I was able to see 2001 on 35 mm a couple years ago and that was incredible.

I've been a few times, but I'm largely with you. Don't particularly enjoy the experience, especially since I'm not into the MCU/superhero movies that dominate the box office these days.

In fact, I don't really watch a ton of movies period. I much prefer episodic TV shows; there are always a million that I have on my list and haven't gotten to yet
The quality of the TV shows has passed a lot of movies.
And my wife and I can stream them when it's convenient and not trying to rush to a theater in traffic
Also -- and this is probably a sad commentary on my attention span -- if I'm sitting down in front of the TV at night I don't really want to watch something for two hours straight. I much prefer to knock off a 30- or 60-minute episode of a TV show

I think TV did pass movies for a bit but it’s swung back. There’s not many good shows anymore, there’s just a lot of them.

I have Mondays off so my wife and I often see the first showing, usually before noon, on most Mondays. Half the time we're the only ones in the theater.

Love doing this on a weekend. Used to have Columbus Day and Veterans Day off, and the kids would usually be in school. My wife and I hit up a lot of movies on those days.

Every marvel movie with my oldest son. At this point it’s a tradition. Looking forward to the next spider verse!
My daughter and I also hit almost all of the Marvel ones. Only one we’ve missed is the latest Ant-Man.

Fortunately, since we live in a small town now, the local theater is only $6 each. We got 2 sodas, lg popcorn with free refills and 2 things of candy for another $12.
That’s great......down here....it’s a $50 night for my son and wife and I to go see a movie.

That is 3 tickets, a large popcorn, 3 drinks/icees

Lunacy man.
🤷 we don’t buy drinks. Two of us is like $25 with popcorn.

Every marvel movie with my oldest son. At this point it’s a tradition. Looking forward to the next spider verse!
My daughter and I also hit almost all of the Marvel ones. Only one we’ve missed is the latest Ant-Man.

Fortunately, since we live in a small town now, the local theater is only $6 each. We got 2 sodas, lg popcorn with free refills and 2 things of candy for another $12.
That’s great......down here....it’s a $50 night for my son and wife and I to go see a movie.

Lunacy man.
Gotta have my coke icee brother.

Lunacy man.
Gotta have my coke icee brother.
I hear ya. I’m really looking forward to my oldest, movie partner turning 21 so we’ll use the upstairs seating with bar.

Lets see
  1. Dune
  2. Nightmare Alley
  3. West Side Story
  4. Licorice Pizza
  5. Belfast
  6. House of Gucci
  7. No Time to Die
  8. Everything Everywhere
  9. Banshees
  10. Tar
  11. Maverick
  12. Avatar 1
  13. Avatar 2
  14. The Batman
  15. The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent
  16. Glass Onion
  17. Scream reboot
  18. Goodfellas
  19. The Conformist
  20. Safety Last
At the theater?
lol yeah I’ve seen way more movies than that at home
Some on your list I wouldn't think would be in the theater. I thought Glass Onion was a Netflix only movie. Goodfellas is old. Etc.

Lets see
  1. Dune
  2. Nightmare Alley
  3. West Side Story
  4. Licorice Pizza
  5. Belfast
  6. House of Gucci
  7. No Time to Die
  8. Everything Everywhere
  9. Banshees
  10. Tar
  11. Maverick
  12. Avatar 1
  13. Avatar 2
  14. The Batman
  15. The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent
  16. Glass Onion
  17. Scream reboot
  18. Goodfellas
  19. The Conformist
  20. Safety Last
At the theater?
lol yeah I’ve seen way more movies than that at home
Some on your list I wouldn't think would be in the theater. I thought Glass Onion was a Netflix only movie. Goodfellas is old. Etc.
Fair. Glass Onion was released for 1 or 2 weeks before hitting Netflix. Goodfellas was screened at a local rep theater as a tribute to Liotta after he passed.

I dislike most of the superhero drivel marketed as entertainment nowadays, but I’ve been to a theatre a few times since the pandemic: Nope, Avatar the Way of Water, and Jurassic World: Dominion. (Didn‘t really like any of them, but my friend drags us to this stuff)

I also saw an artsy film in a small theatre yesterday.

Wore N95 for the first three, no mask yesterday.

Last edited:
I’ve been 8 times, but Dr Strange was the last movie I saw so it’s been a year. Mostly Marvel but some others like 1914 and The Northman.

My eldest and I went to every Marvel movie together but she’s lost interest (as have I). My other two kids don’t really care much. I was thinking of seeing GoG but no one wants to go. Unless Marvel goes back to being great, I’ll probably go very sporadically.

Love seeing movies in a theater. I have a pretty sweet setup at home but even it can’t match the theater experience. I enjoyed all 20 movies I’ve seen and am glad I went to them all.

Took my boy to see Shazam 2. My daughter worked at an AMC and she took me to see Black Phone.

I wasn't a movie goer before the pandemic, it's just so expensive. I prefer to wait for movies to become available on my streaming services for free.

Very rare that I go to the cinema these days. Every other thing is a rehash or sequel. Prior to Cocaine Bear, I'm not sure what the last film I went to see even was

Around here, it's trivial to avoid large crowds in a theater. We've seen some big films in the theater since Omicron began to wane (e.g. The Northman, Nope, GOTG3) plus some vampire stuff my wife's into (Morbius, Renfield) ... and we just catch them after the first two weekends, invariably close to mid-day. We saw Nope the Sunday before Labor Day (it had a long theater run).

Anyway, catching matinee showings of three-week-old movies means that the theaters are never more than maybe 1/4 full. Everyone's little groups have plenty of empty seats around them. And it's all-recliner cinemas, so you aren't packed tight even in a full house. Plus high ceilings, cranked A/C ... I think someone with full-blown COVID could even be elsewhere in the theater, coughing up a storm, and still not infect others not sitting close to them. COVID risk in a movie theater now -- at least the way we do it -- just seems really, really low.

My eldest and I went to every Marvel movie together but she’s lost interest (as have I).

My family caught every MCU film in the theaters between 2012's The Avengers and 2019's The Avengers: Endgame except 2016's Doctor Strange. Kids were 8 & 5 years old for The Avengers, 15 and 12 for Endgame. Saw a bunch of other stuff over those years, too, but the MCU films were kind of touchstones for us. Our kids were just the right age to really get caught up in the stories and the action and just get immersed.

Around here, it's trivial to avoid large crowds in a theater. We've seen some big films in the theater since Omicron began to wane (e.g. The Northman, Nope, GOTG3) plus some vampire stuff my wife's into (Morbius, Renfield) ... and we just catch them after the first two weekends, invariably close to mid-day. We saw Nope the Sunday before Labor Day (it had a long theater run).

Anyway, catching matinee showings of three-week-old movies means that the theaters are never more than maybe 1/4 full. Everyone's little groups have plenty of empty seats around them. And it's all-recliner cinemas, so you aren't packed tight even in a full house. Plus high ceilings, cranked A/C ... I think someone with full-blown COVID could even be elsewhere in the theater, coughing up a storm, and still not infect others not sitting close to them. COVID risk in a movie theater now -- at least the way we do it -- just seems really, really low.
Same scenario for us. Only crowded theatre was The Way of Water. But that was opening night, in 3-D, to appease my friend. It was a PITA to wear the glasses while wearing a mask.

Agree covid risk is likely pretty low, and we no longer wear masks most places. Still a decent percentage of the population here does, including a few alone in their cars, the nemesis of freedom-minded, common sense Americans everywhere else.

I'll always be a big fan of going to the movie theatre. However, I've only gone 4-5 times since covid. Sadly, in my old age not many of the new movies appeal to me. I sure can't get into all of those super hero type movies.

I'll always be a big fan of going to the movie theatre. However, I've only gone 4-5 times since covid. Sadly, in my old age not many of the new movies appeal to me. I sure can't get into all of those super hero type movies.
Look at the list I posted. There are plenty of non super hero movies.

Look at the list I posted. There are plenty of non super hero movies.
Just looked at your list. The last 3 movies I saw in theatre were 4, 9, and 11 on your list.

Since Covid, I went to a birthday party of a friend's son where they rented out one of the screens and played some Minions movie. No plans to see anything else. Vastly prefer to watch things at home.

How about just the entire experience has made me feel uncomfortable in recent years?
Also, I haven't connected with a lot of movies that have been released plus I'm lazy and can just turn on the big OLED, kick on my surround, pop my beers and relax on my leather couch.
These movies are in the theaters for a couple weeks and then they start streaming immediately, there is almost no wait time or incentive to run to the theaters.

-Last film I tell people I saw is "The Irishman" and I thought it was a damn fine film, was not something I wanted to just stream on Netflix, that was Oct/Nov '19
-My wife had to ruin that story by reminding me that she rooked me into the movies on Christmas that year to watch...wait for it...CATS! :x

I was fired up to get myself back into the theaters and at least be prepared to go see a movie by one of a handful of directors that i will blindly buy a movie ticket for.
Those directors include one Martin Scorsese who just got a 10 minute standing ovation at Cannes, that film will not be out until October but that is my target if I don't see any of the summer movies.

-The Indiana Jones film looks like a disaster, the advance reviews don't seem to heap praise on it and then i find out Spielberg didn't even direct it, PASS
-A Tarantino release would also have me running into the theaters.

Any chance some of you have not been to a movie theater in a long time? I used to go at least twice a month when i lived in Los Angeles/Santa Monica '00-'08 and saw a lot of great movies at some amazing theaters, new and old when I was in California. In the last 10 years it's hard for me to point at a lot of great movies that I want to re-watch. No Country for Old Men was a movie that I used to like to watch more than once, it's been a while since I've seen it. I find myself watching TCM and they actually will play some 80s movies, I love the 60s and 70s films they tend to run throughout the month.

I don't even know what a ticket cost or a bucket of popcorn, can you get a bucket still?

I saw To Gun Maverick in IMAX thats the last film I saw. So almost a year now. I use to go twice a week almost 6-8 times a month. One I use to go with a buddy of mine who I have stopped doing a lot with. 1 we aren't as close anymore and 2. I realized how much $$$ I was wasting on stupid **** with him. I was also seeing and doing a lot of stuff $$$ wise with him I didn't enjoy like certain movie's etc I wasn't a fan of. He was also in and out of work a couple of times jobs wise. The one job he quite I don't blame as they advertised for a management position he found out 2 weeks into training everyone was considered a manager. So I don't blame him there. He now works for a T Mobile type vendor company has a few business trips was in CHI this past week June goes to NYC. He got a bit of a promotion. He doesn't like really doing anything unless it's his day off so he's only available Sun and Mon his 2 days off which I work most of the afternoon Sundays and then need to be real early Mon to work and after I don't feel like doing stuff.

Also cost of stuff has gone up and I got most of the streaming services. I would've gone to the theatre to see the new Avatar but my Girlfriend didn't want to go so I've waited for that and it's coming out June 7 on Disney+ finally. With what I pay for streaming I'm better off just staying home and watching stuff with my non overpriced snacks and beer. I'll only go if the film is warranted and one of those dine in theaters to now. If not I'm not really going.

Son likes to buy things he knows I want
He bought John Wick 4, think the rental was about the same price
I wanted to see it in the theaters, fan of all of them. He sends passwords so we can watch

Taking the kids to watch spider man in a few hours. Before that was Mario.

I skipped guardians because babysitter's cost too much.

Dinner & movie with the wife

Saw Past Lives

NPR review

So good.

Full disclosure - somebody gave us 4 free passes. But it’d be worth paying for if you love great films.
I’ve heard it’s fantastic. I need to see that soon. Been so busy, haven’t been seeing enough movies.

yeah our plan was to see it midweek (and pay full price) when it was only playing in the city. the air quality was so bad we bailed. got better as the week went on, and yesterday they expanded the release to a couple Brooklyn theaters. by happy coincidence had free passes for one of them. wife says it's the first new movie we've seen in theaters this year.

best film I've seen in a long, long time.

We still have four free passes, e.g., need to find two more movies to see this summer/fall from our local arthouse film place (BAM Rose Cinema).

Help us decide!

This week:
  • Asteroid City
  • Past LIves (already saw it, loved it!)
  • You Hurt My Feelings - this looks promising, has anyone seen it?

the rest of our choices are film snob℗ picks

• Neige - (1981)-
    In the early 1980s Juliet Berto slowed the pace of her brilliant performances of the 60s and 70s to embark on a little-seen and still underappreciated directing career. Working with her partner Jean-Henri Roger, the first of these efforts, Neige, is presented in conversation with our week-long retrospective of Juliet Berto’s acting work. In a stunning new restoration, this radically empathetic film finds Berto among a community of characters on the margins in 1980s Pigalle. She stars as Anita, a barmaid at the center of a community of street preachers, sex workers, dealers and users. When a beloved friend (and young drug dealer) is caught by narcotics agents, Anita takes it upon herself to score for his struggling clients. With gorgeous, lived-in street photography and stylish performances, this heartbreaking film shows the same politically committed, cinema-besotted verve of Berto’s better known work as an actress.
  • Drylongso - (1988) -
    The remarkable debut feature from multimedia artist Cauleen Smith is a Black feminist murder mystery-buddy movie-romance in which a young Oakland photographer (Toby Smith) sets out to document what she believes to be “America’s most endangered species”: the African-American male. A triumph of DIY vision, the long-unavailable, newly-restored Drylongso (meaning “ordinary” or “the same old thing”), presents a nuanced reading of gender and friendship within Black communities.
  • MIlenium Mambo - (2001)-
    Hou Hsiao-Hsien’s neon-splashed reverie is a dreamlike drift through the night world of early 2000s Taipei. From the year 2011, the wayward Vicky (Shu Qi), a bar hostess caught between a jealous and possessive boyfriend (Chun-hao Tuan) and a kindly gangster (Jack Kao), looks back on her life 10 years earlier. This memory piece is rendered by Hou in a narcotic haze of trance-inducing techno, sumptuous slo-mo, and iridescent imagery, made all the more ravishing by cinematographer Mark Lee Ping-bing.
Thursday:
  • The Draughtsman's Contract - (1982)-
    In Peter Greenaway’s breakthrough feature, an aristocratic wife (Janet Suzman) in 17th-century England commissions an arrogant young draughtsman (Anthony Higgins) to sketch 12 drawings of her husband’s vast property in exchange for a fee, room and board, and one sexual favor per picture. This droll, sumptuous, and gleefully perverse comedy packs plenty of lethal twists and catapulted its incomparable writer-director to the forefront of international art cinema.
coming Friday
  • The Black and the Green Statues Hardly Ever Smile - (1971)-
    A new restoration of Bourne’s rediscovered documentary The Black and the Green draws a parallel between the American civil rights movement and the Troubles in Northern Ireland. Narrated by journalist and activist Jean Carey Bond, the film follows Black American civil rights activists on a fact-finding mission in Belfast at the invitation of the families of the political prisoners in Long Kesh prison, where Bobby Sands had recently perished on hunger strike.

Leaning toward You Hurt My Feelings or the Taiwanese film, but some of the other vintage films looks interesting.

Last edited:
Only one I’ve seen is Droughtmans. It’s pretty good but you need a very very specific taste to enjoy it which makes it hard to recommend. It’s very droll- great score though.

We still have four free passes, e.g., need to find two more movies to see this summer/fall from our local arthouse film place (BAM Rose Cinema).

Help us decide!

Thursday:
    In Peter Greenaway’s breakthrough feature, an aristocratic wife (Janet Suzman) in 17th-century England commissions an arrogant young draughtsman (Anthony Higgins) to sketch 12 drawings of her husband’s vast property in exchange for a fee, room and board, and one sexual favor per picture. This droll, sumptuous, and gleefully perverse comedy packs plenty of lethal twists and catapulted its incomparable writer-director to the forefront of international art cinema.
Leaning toward You Hurt My Feelings or the Taiwanese film, but some of the other vintage films looks interesting.
I'm a big Greenaway fan and The Draughtsman's Contract is definitely worth seeing. There is always a lot of depth and technique to his films. My favorite Greenaway is The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover. It's a masterclass in the use of color.

I haven't been to the movies since last July (Nope? Multiverse of Madness?). Kind of surprised me but it is in line with the fact that there's just so much dreck lately.
Almost went to see Guardians III but was worried that I'd be lost since I hadn't seen the 17 Marvel series and half dozen crappy movies since the last one.

Help us decide!

Thursday:
I'm a big Greenaway fan and The Draughtsman's Contract is definitely worth seeing. There is always a lot of depth and technique to his films. My favorite Greenaway is The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover. It's a masterclass in the use of color.

ah, thanks - I remember that one.

Black Mass - 2015

huge fan of both Depp and the Whitey Bulger saga ... gf, also, huge Depp fan (SHOCK!!1!1!), but not so much the gangster trope - but it were a tremendous experience.

nothing else is gonna get me back out - we done.

Only seen one since the pandemic that was John Wick 4. I love going to the theater been doing it since I was a boy. I'm going Monday to see Sound of Freedom.

Users who are viewing this thread