What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If Babe Ruth stepped into a time machine (1 Viewer)

Jordan shot .327 for his career from 3. That was even after starting out with several seasons shooting sub-.200 with low volume.

He was never really a high-volume 3-point shooter, but his volume did increase over time. By the time of the Bulls’ title runs, he was a plus-3-point shooter. Not an elite sharpshooter, no, but Jordan got to the point where he could make opponents pay for clogging the interior. Admittedly, he went more to the 18-footer than the trey … but he was a product of his time.

I think guys like Jordan and Olajuwon could have credibly added a modern 3-point game to their arsenals had they come up with the shot through high school and college.

Jordan’s years are not very far removed from our own, and I’m not sure the differences in basketball are all that great between them and now.

The sport that has the biggest physical differences between is football. Earlier @Joe Bryant asserted that the 2023 Alabama Crimson Tide would lose handily to the 2023 Houston Texans. I agree with that. But I also think the 2023 Alabama Tide would absolutely crush the undefeated 1972 Miami Dolphins. It wouldn’t be close at all.

I am about the furthest thing from a MJ fan as you can find (though I do recognize his greatness). But to think he wouldn’t have modified his game to fit todays game is crazy. What made him great was his maniacal focus and clutch play. He’s still be “Jordan” in todays game.

If you take an all star team from 1950 in the 4 majors baseball is probably the game that most resembles today. I think football, basketball & hockey are worlds apart . Wouldn’t be competitive but it’s easily the closest game with say a college team, imo

I am about the furthest thing from a MJ fan as you can find (though I do recognize his greatness). But to think he wouldn’t have modified his game to fit todays game is crazy. What made him great was his maniacal focus and clutch play. He’s still be “Jordan” in todays game.

I think it would be like when he came back from baseball. He would still be very good, but he would need a year back in the league and an off-season to become Jordan again.

If you take an all star team from 1950 in the 4 majors baseball is probably the game that most resembles today. I think football, basketball & hockey are worlds apart . Wouldn’t be competitive but it’s easily the closest game with say a college team, imo
I would agree largely (no pun intended) because of the physical size difference on average between those generations.

I think it would be like when he came back from baseball. He would still be very good, but he would need a year back in the league and an off-season to become Jordan again.
Yep. Jordan came back after three years off, at age 38, and was a 22-ppg player right out of the box. That’s just fundamental ability in the sport right there.

I’m not a baseball historian, but I seem to recall reading Ruth was more than willing to play against non-white players and did on multiple occasions. IIRC, he did quite well overall. Small sample size I’m sure, but there is data.

There isn't a player in any sport that could just time travel from their prime to right now and be as good as they were, but if you brought them along with all the advancements in training, medicine, nutrition etc, then I think most if not all of them would be just as good as they were before.

Example. Do I think you could drop 30 year old Michael Jordan into the NBA right and he would be the best player in the NBA? No he wouldn't. Now bring back highschool Jordan and let him have all the advantages and I think you get a guy that is maybe the greatest ever.
Mostly agree with your first paragraph

Disagree with your second. Hand checking rules in the era jordan played in made playing offense so much harder than playing offense in today's game. Jordan would still be the best playing I'm basketball I'm today's game and may have average 40ppg under today's rules.

He wouldn't for one reason. He can't shoot 3's. He is like a career 30 percent shooter from deep. Teams would just lay back and take away lanes.
The 3 pt shot existed back then too so not sure what the difference is.

Then we can't help you if you don't understand the difference between the 3 back then and now.
Wait the 3 pt line moved IN and you're saying Jordan had a low 3 pt % compared to today's players?

Isn't that a point in his favor?

:lmao:

You calling people's takes dumb while not understanding the difference the 3 pointer has made on today's game vs the 90's is interesting to put it nicely.
Do teams score more now or during Jordan's era? Let's be serious here. Teams don't play defense now. Jordan played against the bad boy Pistons, the Riley Knicks, etc. It's not even a contest. Jordan would score 40ppg in today's league.

MJ would be great still today because he could do everything else so well and wouldn't need a great 3-pt shot.

The only guy remotely comparable to MJ in today's game is Kawhi Leonard, who has shown flashes of dominance. Problem is he can't stay healthy and doesn't have the mid-range efficiency of Jordan.

Yea I think MJ could learn how to efficiently add the 3-pointer to his game. A lot of guys from the 90s would potentially be better now. Mark Price and Craig Hodges would be deadly with the over reliance on 3-point shooting.

MJ would be great still today because he could do everything else so well and wouldn't need a great 3-pt shot.

The only guy remotely comparable to MJ in today's game is Kawhi Leonard, who has shown flashes of dominance. Problem is he can't stay healthy and doesn't have the mid-range efficiency of Jordan.
SGA would like a word…

Any discussion of Jordan not thriving today is ludicrous. We're not talking George Mikan 50+ years ago. He'd dominate.
I think most people here will agree because Jordan is in the same generation as the majority of posters on this board. These arguments hit a little bit different when you’re talking about a guy from a century ago vs a guy you watched play as an adult. If my grandpa were still alive he’d insist Mickey Mantle would be the best player in baseball today.

I think basketball players on a whole would have it "easier" than other sports. Yes the game has changed but it's a little more open now but the fundamentals of the game haven't changed

If I had to rank the easiest of transition from yesteryear to today....I'd probably go:
Baseball
Hockey

Basketball

Football

I think we're all in agreement that football players from the past would get absolutely murderized if they showed up today. Hockey players might actually have it easier today.

In another thread @Capella made an interesting point about how Babe Ruth would struggle in today’s MLB. So I’m curious what people think about this: statistically, Babe Ruth was the greatest power hitter ever, it’s not really close. But he faced no players of color, and the game was very different, obviously, with less different kinds of pitches (and probably not as fast fastballs though we have no way of knowing.)

So if Babe Ruth at his peak stepped into a time machine and arrived in 2023, how would he perform? Would he be able to hit against major league pitching? Would he be so bad as to not even make it in MLB? Or be an average player? Or still a star after he had time to adjust? How do you think he’d do?

I love questions like this.

My first gut instinct is he might not be good enough to break into the major leagues. I think the level of competition is just that much better.

But I don't really know.

These always feel like the "Could Alabama's football team beat the Houston Texans?"

(The Texans would DESTROY Alabama).

They used to play the game you're talking about.

Yea I think MJ could learn how to efficiently add the 3-pointer to his game. A lot of guys from the 90s would potentially be better now. Mark Price and Craig Hodges would be deadly with the over reliance on 3-point shooting.
Probably not on topic, but interesting statement here. Would you care to elaborate on it.

For me these era comparisons come down to....did you, your momma, and dad get a diet of hormones and steroids in your food most of your life. Obviously baseball hand eye coordination complicates things.

Probably not on topic, but interesting statement here. Would you care to elaborate on it.
Around 1990, the ratio if 3 pointers taken by NBA teams was around 8%. Now it’s over 40. Guys like Hodges would be more in demand now because their particular skill is more in demand.

Taking a point in time Babe (say 1925) and dropping him into the game and he would struggle. Taking Babe as a kid and dropping him into 2023 and letting him develop with today's knowledge I absolutely believe he would be one of the best players in today's game assuming he bought into his development/fitness like today's player's do.
This is what I would say. Babe just plopped into today’s game would be dominated. A guy that talented though with modern training would dominate.

That Shohei Ohtani is doing what he’s doing and it isn’t one of the biggest stories in sports blows my mind.

Taking a point in time Babe (say 1925) and dropping him into the game and he would struggle. Taking Babe as a kid and dropping him into 2023 and letting him develop with today's knowledge I absolutely believe he would be one of the best players in today's game assuming he bought into his development/fitness like today's player's do.
This is what I would say. Babe just plopped into today’s game would be dominated. A guy that talented though with modern training would dominate.

That Shohei Ohtani is doing what he’s doing and it isn’t one of the biggest stories in sports blows my mind.
Its not?

Its not?
Not really compared to what he’s doing. I blame the Angels. If he were a Yankee this would be lead story every night in the summer and hyped much more right now as the season is getting ready.

Its not?
Not really compared to what he’s doing. I blame the Angels. If he were a Yankee this would be lead story every night in the summer and hyped much more right now as the season is getting ready.
I dunno if I agree with that but really have no way to prove my point.

Its not?
I dunno if I agree with that but really have no way to prove my point.
Definitely a perception thing. It could be baseball just isn’t that popular either.

That a guy is a top 10 pitcher and top 5 hitter at the same time is just insane. Hasn’t really been done for a century. Remarkable.

in ruths era the conventional wisdom is that the best fastballs topped out at about 90 miles per hour which means an awful lot of fastballs were in the 80s there were some exceptions like walter johnson who was the best of the best back then for speed heck ruth was considered a premier pitcher and some sources say that he only threw in the low 80s so compare that to todays game where relievers you never heard of throw in the 100s and aroldis chapman is alleged to have hit 105 mph that difference of 15 to 25 miles per hour is huge and i would also add that the usage of pitchers back then was really different ruth would have been facing guys who pitched entire games throwing 150 to 200 pitches so they had tired arms for the last several innings of the game compare that to now where a start rarely goes over 115 pitches in a game and that says nothing about the way the curveball has changed in todays game versus back then and and and he only played against a very limited pool of white guys let me put it this way if you put hammerin hank who i consider to be the greatest clean power hitter in the modern era back in ruths time i think he would be so far and away the historical greatest power hitter that it would make your head spin and i dont even really think thats debateable take that to the bank brohans

Last edited:
Walter Johnson wasn’t throwing splitters or sliders that dropped off the table as it crossed the plate.
Maybe, but they were also putting stuff on the ball (vaseline, etc.) to get movement that I’m betting came close to mirroring todays pitchers.
i think they are still putting stuff on the ball today although they are better at hiding it see also spider tack so i dont agree with this if anything the technology involved today probably makes the movement even more pronounced now versus then especially when combined with an average increase in fastball speed of 15 to 20 miles per hour take that to the bank brohans

Its not?

I don't think Shohei Ohtani's profile is very high at all outside of non-MLB cities. In general, MLB players today don't transcend the sport the way they did up until the 1970-80s.

If I went out to downtown New Orleans and asked 100 random passers-by if they can tell me who Shohei Ohtani is, I'd be shocked if more than 5 or 6 knew.

If I modified the survey a bit and asked first if they were sports fans ("Heck yes ... Go Saints!"), then surveyed 100 New Orleans "sports fans" if they know who Shohei Ohtani ... I doubt I'd get 20 'sports fans' to say "yes".

Heck, Aaron Judge and Mike Trout could walk all over downtown New Orleans and not be recognized. I wouldn't recognize either from a head shot. EDIT: By contrast, I know exactly what Pete Rose, George Brett, Ron Guidry, Eddie Murray, Reggie Jackson, Nolan Ryan, etc. looked like. Most MLB stars up though the late 1980s, as a matter of fact.

I picture 1923 Babe Ruth facing a guy like Josh Hader and can't imagine him even getting a bat on the ball. More likely he bails out of the box like John Kruk vs Randy Johnson at the all-star game.

As others have said, if he's born in 1995 and gets modern nutrition, training, year-round baseball etc. it would be a different story. Nobody thinks if you time traveled Jesse Owens to the 2032 Olympics that he'd fare very well. That's an easy one because he has measurable results that can be compared and we know he get smoked in everything. Why would Babe Ruth be any different? The athletes 100 years from now are going to be better at their sport than today's athletes too. It's just the way it goes until we reach whatever wall exists that the human body can't pass.

also i think it is funny when people say ruth is the greatest power hitter because they looked at a paper and saw some numbers because that ignores changes that have obviously occurred in the last 100 plus years in the game technology training and human athletic abilities it is just sort of a lazy take in my opinion take that to the bank bromigos

to put a cap on it let me bring this up jenny finch the usa softball pitcher went around and pitched to major leaguers from a standard softball mound using a bigger ball and the fact that the softball mound was closer made her 72 mile per hour pitch appear to be roughly 100 miles per hour she struck out pujoles bonds giles you name it they never put a bat on the ball speed and distance have a huge influence on reaction time and ability to hit and that is guys who are used to seeing 100 mile per hour pitches so to just say ruth would have been fine in todays game ignores ancillary evidence that is out there that shows what the speed difference means take that to the bank brohans

If you just plopped 1925 Babe Ruth into the game today there is zero chance he could succeed. If he had years of training and buildup, sure, it’s possible.
Very much agree with the first sentence here. Very much disagree with the second. I think he becomes a quality player with, say, 3-5 years of utilizing today's sports science, nutrition, and medicine.

to put a cap on it let me bring this up jenny finch the usa softball pitcher went around and pitched to major leaguers from a standard softball mound using a bigger ball and the fact that the softball mound was closer made her 72 mile per hour pitch appear to be roughly 100 miles per hour she struck out pujoles bonds giles you name it they never put a bat on the ball speed and distance have a huge influence on reaction time and ability to hit and that is guys who are used to seeing 100 mile per hour pitches so to just say ruth would have been fine in todays game ignores ancillary evidence that is out there that shows what the speed difference means take that to the bank brohans
This is anectodal, but most of my ball playing friends went from baseball to fastpitch when we were 20. It took a half season to adjust, but eventually all the great hitters in baseball became great hitters in fastball. Your scenario actually makes me think it more likely that Ruth would adjust and be a great hitter.

Ohtani is pretty big in Japan, but he’s not in the USA for a few reasons:

1. As mentioned, the Angels. This is the team I follow, but the Angels have always been secondary to the Dodgers. Basically the Clippers of baseball.
2. Even with Mike Trout on the same team, Ohtani’s time with the Angels has never resulted in a winning record. The team hasn’t sniffed the playoffs.
3. Ohtani still doesn’t speak much English.
4. Ohtani is shy and rather soft-spoken, reportedly.

As mentioned, the Angels. This is the team I follow, but the Angels have always been secondary to the Dodgers. Basically the Clippers of baseball.
This isn't true. The Angels are 2nd to the Dodgers, but the Angels attendance for a long time (top 5) and following across the country (top 10 IMO) don't remotely make them close to any way to the Clippers. The Clippers have a very small fanbase in LA, just enough to fill the seats and none outside of the LA market.

I think the problem with the Babe Ruth would get destroyed because he played against a bunch of farmers argument is that it ignores that everyone else in his same time period was playing against the same competition, and yet as has been mentioned, he hit more home runs than entire teams. Maybe Wilt Chamberlain is the only person with a similar level of dominance compared to his contemporaries. I'd also argue that sports like baseball and golf have less of a continued upward slope of improvement. People who are in the 0.0001% of reaction time and coordination will remain so in any age. Equipment improvements would be shared by the time travelers, so they'd get that benefit as well. Are today's baseball players much better conditioned? Of course. But I'm not sure being, e.g., 40% stronger automatically gives a step change in performance in something like baseball. Track? Football? Absolutely. But it's not like if you put Giannis on the Brewers you could expect him to just start dominating because he's so strong and athletically gifted.

No way Babe Ruth would dominate in today's game, but I expect after a year or two of adjustment he'd still be very, very good. The only potential wrinkle has already been mentioned - maybe modern analytics and pitchers would find some kryptonite pitch or zone that Ruth wouldn't be able to handle.

Around 1990, the ratio if 3 pointers taken by NBA teams was around 8%. Now it’s over 40. Guys like Hodges would be more in demand now because their particular skill is more in demand.
Thanks. When you said "over reliance" I thought you were hinting that the pendulum has shifted so much that players are attempting more threes than reasonable.

This is anectodal, but most of my ball playing friends went from baseball to fastpitch when we were 20. It took a half season to adjust, but eventually all the great hitters in baseball became great hitters in fastball. Your scenario actually makes me think it more likely that Ruth would adjust and be a great hitter.
i see your point but i have seen the future past using my special swc skills and babe ruth would be like a rob deer type in mlb today and i still think hammerin hank is the greatest ever take that to the bank bromigos ps this is a joke he would not be rob deer but he wouldnt be hammerin hank either in my opinion take that to the bank again brochachos

Last edited:
I think the problem with the Babe Ruth would get destroyed because he played against a bunch of farmers argument is that it ignores that everyone else in his same time period was playing against the same competition, and yet as has been mentioned, he hit more home runs than entire teams. Maybe Wilt Chamberlain is the only person with a similar level of dominance compared to his contemporaries. I'd also argue that sports like baseball and golf have less of a continued upward slope of improvement. People who are in the 0.0001% of reaction time and coordination will remain so in any age. Equipment improvements would be shared by the time travelers, so they'd get that benefit as well. Are today's baseball players much better conditioned? Of course. But I'm not sure being, e.g., 40% stronger automatically gives a step change in performance in something like baseball. Track? Football? Absolutely. But it's not like if you put Giannis on the Brewers you could expect him to just start dominating because he's so strong and athletically gifted.

No way Babe Ruth would dominate in today's game, but I expect after a year or two of adjustment he'd still be very, very good. The only potential wrinkle has already been mentioned - maybe modern analytics and pitchers would find some kryptonite pitch or zone that Ruth wouldn't be able to handle.
this is a take that ignores history quote everyone else playing at the time of babe ruth was not truly everyone else it was only a small subset of white guys he wasnt playing against anyone of color at all and baseball was a whole thing amongst other races including but not limited to in cuba and latin america by the 1960s so the fact is that ruth was only the best power hitter against what was assuredly not the best collection of players that could be assembled compare and contrast that against aaron who played at a time when no such restrictions except in the limited case of cuba existed so he was the best power hitter in the modern era against what was the best possible collection of players in the world it sort of puts things in perspective take that to the bank brohans

also i think it is funny when people say ruth is the greatest power hitter because they looked at a paper and saw some numbers because that ignores changes that have obviously occurred in the last 100 plus years in the game technology training and human athletic abilities it is just sort of a lazy take in my opinion take that to the bank bromigos
I think many of the "greatest" power hitter of all time talk is centered around his performance vs his peers. He was so far ahead of his peers (unlike any other player every) that by comparison he was the greatest ever. At least that is how many of the people I have discussed this with are basing their opinions. Take that to the bank bromigo.

As mentioned, the Angels. This is the team I follow, but the Angels have always been secondary to the Dodgers. Basically the Clippers of baseball.
This isn't true. The Angels are 2nd to the Dodgers, but the Angels attendance for a long time (top 5) and following across the country (top 10 IMO) don't remotely make them close to any way to the Clippers. The Clippers have a very small fanbase in LA, just enough to fill the seats and none outside of the LA market.
Not really talking about attendance. Here’s what I mean- if you watch the local sports news, or local talk radio, or local sports pages around here, it’s Dodgers Dodgers Dodgers when it comes to baseball. The Angels are an afterthought. That’s why they remind me of the Clippers.

this is a take that ignores history quote everyone else playing at the time of babe ruth was not truly everyone else it was only a small subset of white guys he wasnt playing against anyone of color at all and baseball was a whole thing amongst other races including but not limited to in cuba and latin america by the 1960s
Sure, you could make the argument that someone who was excluded by MLB during Ruth's time would have either been a better hitter or would have tamped down his numbers by being able to pitch against him. We have no way to prove it either way - I certainly can't say you're definitely wrong. On the other hand, if someone is dominating a subset of a population like no one has before or since, I think you have to at least entertain the idea that he is truly a generational talent and would excel even against a broader range of competition. Although again, it's not like one can prove it.

The issue with Aaron is that except for longevity (which is not nothing I'll grant you), he doesn't really standout as being so far above all of his contemporaries.

Of all the players in the bygone eras, easily the biggest freak to me was Wilt Chamberlain.

After reading up and watching some limited film, I believe his 1960 self could be dropped directly into today's NBA and be an All-Star. I don't think he could just step in and be MVP level, but he could get you 24/12 with 2 blocks a night. Let him take some nights off and get him eating well and and with modern training he's right there with Giannis and Embiid in a couple of years. Heck, they could maybe get him to shoot 60% from the line.
Great post. I think Jim Browns another guy that would be a hell of a player in today's era.

Of all the players in the bygone eras, easily the biggest freak to me was Wilt Chamberlain.

After reading up and watching some limited film, I believe his 1960 self could be dropped directly into today's NBA and be an All-Star. I don't think he could just step in and be MVP level, but he could get you 24/12 with 2 blocks a night. Let him take some nights off and get him eating well and and with modern training he's right there with Giannis and Embiid in a couple of years. Heck, they could maybe get him to shoot 60% from the line.
Great post. I think Jim Browns another guy that would be a hell of a player in today's era.
Imagine Jerry Rice in today's passing heavy environment?

o put a cap on it let me bring this up jenny finch the usa softball pitcher went around and pitched to major leaguers from a standard softball mound using a bigger ball and the fact that the softball mound was closer made her 72 mile per hour pitch appear to be roughly 100 miles per hour she struck out pujoles bonds giles you name it they never put a bat on the ball speed and distance have a huge influence on reaction time and ability to hit and that is guys who are used to seeing 100 mile per hour pitches so to just say ruth would have been fine in todays game ignores ancillary evidence that is out there that shows what the speed difference means take that to the bank brohans
Hitting a softball pitcher and baseball pitcher are very different. Release point, when/how to pick up the release etc are so different that when you are talking about a one off matchup without having time to adjust the key visual cues for the batter it is very difficult. Only they adjust to that they wouldn't have much issue with being similar to their abilities in baseball.

Users who are viewing this thread