What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If Nick Harper cuts to the outside... (1 Viewer)

surferskin

Footballguy
what the hell was he doing? :mellow: he's only got a qb with banged up knees to beat and he tries a triple deek? :loco: just fake inside and go back outside with DB speed...there's NOWAY they would have caught him. :thumbup:

Personally, while I too was caught in the manning hype... I was happy as hell that the colts were stopped, Bettis is one of the good guys, in my opinion, and I would have to seen that fumble be his, most likely, last play of his carreer, had Indy won... I was relieved, and can't imagine it compared in anyway to his relief after vande-jag-it pushed... I hope scott norwood can't sleep a little easier..

Yeah, Harper really blew that return. I think he tried to get too cute attempting to twist up Big Ben. He had a full 40 yards to the sideline to work with and he chose to stay in the middle.

what the hell was he doing? :mellow: he's only got a qb with banged up knees to beat and he tries a triple deek? :loco: just fake inside and go back outside with DB speed...there's NOWAY they would have caught him. :thumbup:
So many "ifs". If dumb official actually makes the right call on INT....

If Bettis doesn't fumble....

If Manning actually remembered to eat his Wheaties or sleep in a Holiday Inn...

IF.........We can play "what-if" forever with any NFL game. Watch.....IF Bettis does not fumble, this thread never exists......Pretty cool, huh

Yeah, Harper really blew that return. I think he tried to get too cute attempting to twist up Big Ben. He had a full 40 yards to the sideline to work with and he chose to stay in the middle.
exactly, as corner back you should never get caught by a backpeddling quarter back.though, maybe getting stabbed the day before had something to do with it. :popcorn:

exactly, as corner back you should never get caught by a backpeddling quarter back.though, maybe getting stabbed the day before had something to do with it. :popcorn:
bettis should send her a set of cutco knives :bag:

Maybe he could have juked his wife better, too.Sorry, couldn't resist.But really, that kind of thing is easy for you to say, but he does not know if cutting to the outside allows the pack to catch him. And he does not have the benefit of a day to strategize his return. Harper played a very good game, regardless of his injuries to both legs. I put no blame on Harper.Great play by Ben!

IF the guy returning the fumble is also the guy dumb enough to get stabbed by his wife the night before the game, how can you expect him to be smart on the field? You had the correlation correct, just missed on the cause and effect relationship.

Last edited by a moderator:
IF.........

We can play "what-if" forever with any NFL game. Watch.....

IF Bettis does not fumble, this thread never exists......

Pretty cool, huh
if you didn't post this, i'd have that 2 seconds of my life back. :thumbup:

IF.........

We can play "what-if" forever with any NFL game.  Watch.....

Pretty cool, huh
If you would have used them to start more threads like this, the rest of us are glad they're gone.

I feel like us Steelers fans may owe Mrs. Harper a "conjugal" visit, being that she is being held w/o bond.

IF.........

Pretty cool, huh
If you would have used them to start more threads like this, the rest of us are glad they're gone.
this would have been clever if it was original. :thumbup:

IF.........

Pretty cool, huh
This coming from the guy who pulled out the old "I'd have that 2 seconds of my life back" retort? :lmao:

IF.........

Pretty cool, huh
This coming from the guy who pulled out the old "I'd have that 2 seconds of my life back" retort? :lmao:
you're not too sharp are you? :D your post was unoriginal BECAUSE i posted the same thing. try an keep up. :thumbup:

IF.........

Pretty cool, huh
you're not too sharp are you? :D your post was unoriginal BECAUSE i posted the same thing. try an keep up. :thumbup:
So you knew that with the extra 2 seconds you would have simply aggravated the rest of us and presumed that we knew that you knew you had nothing more valuable to do with your time? I didn't realize that you had such low self-esteem. I stand corrected.

IF.........

Pretty cool, huh
So you knew that with the extra 2 seconds you would have simply aggravated the rest of us and presumed that we knew that you knew you had nothing more valuable to do with your time? I didn't realize that you had such low self-esteem. I stand corrected.
this might have made sense in you're head but... :loco:

what the hell was he doing?  :mellow: he's only got a qb with banged up knees to beat and he tries a triple deek?  :loco: just fake inside and go back outside with DB speed...there's NOWAY they would have caught him. :thumbup:
if if if..woulda coulda shoulda..if bettis doesn't fumble , we're not having this discussion.

if palumalu's int was properly called an int and not a dropped pass, we're not having this discussion.

Pittsburgh MANHANDLED Indy yesterday, and beat the daylights out of them up and down the field..they deserve credit for the WIN, instead of Indy getting credit for 'letting it slip away'...

give credit where credit is due!

maybe IF the Colts didn't have Tony Dungy as HC, they woulda won?!?!?!?!?

ask the Bucs how they feel about that one..

IF.........

We can play "what-if" forever with any NFL game. Watch.....

Pretty cool, huh
True, but the fact remains, if he cuts back he's gone for a TD.Why is this so difficult to understand?

:confused:

Yet here you sit posting a message on a FF message board and not playing or a coach with all that insight and knowledge.

IF.........

Pretty cool, huh
True, but the fact remains, if he cuts back he's gone for a TD.Why is this so difficult to understand?

i think on any play where the runner runs untouched through the line and gets to the second level, at some point he is one move or one broken tackle away from taking it to the house, but most of the time, the defensive back either makes the tackle, or forces him to the sideline, or does something to slow the runner enough to allow other defenders to make the play. so while harper may have been one cutback away from a TD, presenting your argument in such a way that you're basically saying "all he had to do was cut back and it's a TD" take away from the spectacular heads-up defensive play made by Roethlisberger. The reason the play did not result in a Colt TD was Roethlisberger's great play, not the fact that Harper stupidly forgot to cut the other way.

what the hell was he doing?  :mellow: he's only got a qb with banged up knees to beat and he tries a triple deek?  :loco: just fake inside and go back outside with DB speed...there's NOWAY they would have caught him. :thumbup:
Yet here you sit posting a message on a FF message board and not playing or a coach with all that insight and knowledge.
i don't feel like taking a pay cut. :popcorn:

IF.........

Pretty cool, huh

Probably true.And Roethlisberger would've had a little more than a minute and 3 timeouts left on the clock.

Lots of what ifs in that game. Not sure why this one matters.

IF.........

Pretty cool, huh

i think on any play where the runner runs untouched through the line and gets to the second level, at some point he is one move or one broken tackle away from taking it to the house, but most of the time, the defensive back either makes the tackle, or forces him to the sideline, or does something to slow the runner enough to allow other defenders to make the play. so while harper may have been one cutback away from a TD, presenting your argument in such a way that you're basically saying "all he had to do was cut back and it's a TD" take away from the spectacular heads-up defensive play made by Roethlisberger. The reason the play did not result in a Colt TD was Roethlisberger's great play, not the fact that Harper stupidly forgot to cut the other way.
actually, this is completely wrong...if harper cuts to the outside it wouldn't have mattered what big ben did. :thumbup:

if mcnabb didn't telegraph his pass in the nfc championship game vs the bucs then ronde barber doesn't intercept and return it 100 yards for a TD.the eagles probably would've scored to make it 20-17 instead of 27-10 and maybe, just maybe, they would've come back to win, and then it would've been my beloved eagles destroying the raiders in the super bowl, not the bucs.the moral of this story is that according to your logic, it was mcnabb's fault 100% for telegraphing the pass, barber should get no credit, none, for picking off the pass and taking it to the house, and ripping my heart out. just like you give roethlisberger no credit for making the play that saved the game

if mcnabb didn't telegraph his pass in the nfc championship game vs the bucs then ronde barber doesn't intercept and return it 100 yards for a TD.

the eagles probably would've scored to make it 20-17 instead of 27-10 and maybe, just maybe, they would've come back to win, and then it would've been my beloved eagles destroying the raiders in the super bowl, not the bucs.

the moral of this story is that according to your logic, it was mcnabb's fault 100% for telegraphing the pass, barber should get no credit, none, for picking off the pass and taking it to the house, and ripping my heart out. just like you give roethlisberger no credit for making the play that saved the game
:confused: no, one play doesn't necessarily have anything to do with another. harper is corner back and is much faster than big ben...instead of trying to make one move and out run him, he tried to get cute and twist up a QB. now this isn't to say ben didn't make a nice play based on the moves harper made, it's just that harper should never given ben the opportunity to make a play. :thumbup:

if mcnabb didn't telegraph his pass in the nfc championship game vs the bucs then ronde barber doesn't intercept and return it 100 yards for a TD.

the eagles probably would've scored to make it 20-17 instead of 27-10 and maybe, just maybe, they would've come back to win, and then it would've been my beloved eagles destroying the raiders in the super bowl, not the bucs.

the moral of this story is that according to your logic, it was mcnabb's fault 100% for telegraphing the pass, barber should get no credit, none, for picking off the pass and taking it to the house, and ripping my heart out.  just like you give roethlisberger no credit for making the play that saved the game
:confused: no, one play doesn't necessarily have anything to do with another. harper is corner back and is much faster than big ben...instead of trying to make one move and out run him, he tried to get cute and twist up a QB. now this isn't to say ben didn't make a nice play based on the moves harper made, it's just that harper should never given ben the opportunity to make a play. :thumbup:
while every situation is obviously different, my point was more a general comment on giving credit to someone for a good play vs blaming someone for a bad play. instead of talking about what harper didn't do, talk about what roethlisberger did do. and what roethlisberger did do, was to somehow take down a guy who was obviously much faster than him, and make the tackle that saved the season. i am not a steelers fan although i have the utmost respect for the Berger and i wish you could just give the guy some credit for crying out loud. Peyton Manning wouldn't have made that tackle. He would've been in Bettis' face yelling at him and calling him out before the play was even over. But i guess there are already 75 other threads devoted to that subject

the moral of this story is that according to your logic, it was mcnabb's fault 100% for telegraphing the pass, barber should get no credit, none, for picking off the pass and taking it to the house, and ripping my heart out.  just like you give roethlisberger no credit for making the play that saved the game
while every situation is obviously different, my point was more a general comment on giving credit to someone for a good play vs blaming someone for a bad play. instead of talking about what harper didn't do, talk about what roethlisberger did do. and what roethlisberger did do, was to somehow take down a guy who was obviously much faster than him, and make the tackle that saved the season. i am not a steelers fan although i have the utmost respect for the Berger and i wish you could just give the guy some credit for crying out loud. Peyton Manning wouldn't have made that tackle. He would've been in Bettis' face yelling at him and calling him out before the play was even over. But i guess there are already 75 other threads devoted to that subject
if you wanna make thread dedicated to riding big ben, be my guest. :popcorn:

Who cares? The Steelers dominated the entire game. If the referee's called a fair game the score would have been Pittsburgh 35 Indianapolis 10. And I was rooting for Indy! They were OWNED!! :goodposting:

The reason the play did not result in a Colt TD was Roethlisberger's great play, not the fact that Harper stupidly forgot to cut the other way.
Man, that is just wrong. He definitely would have scored had he took it down the sideline. He even had 3 or 4 Colts with him as blockers.

The reason the play did not result in a Colt TD was Roethlisberger's great play, not the fact that Harper stupidly forgot to cut the other way.
Man, that is just wrong. He definitely would have scored had he took it down the sideline. He even had 3 or 4 Colts with him as blockers.
don't quote me as saying that. :no: that was bigliebdogg slurping big ben. :banned:

Exactly, dont fault Harper. There were at least 3 other Colts running with him that could have blocked both Bens. The worst of which was #21, he was 5 yards in front of Harper and just ran by Roethlisberger. I fault him way more than Harper. #21 must have been thinking about his celebration dance, I would have busted his chops if I were Dungy (or Harper).

Everything is relative.Nobody seems to mention that Harper actually made a great play. He grabbed a bouncing fumbled ball and ran it back 35 yards to give the Colts a chance to win the game.Just because Big Ben made a great tackle does not mean that Haper made a poor one.

Ya, Harper blew it. Interesting to me cuz I coached a player with the last name of Harper and he did the same thing on a punt return. Beat everyone but the punter and tried the same move N. Harper tried. If he would've just stayed outside he would've outran him to the endzone. Kid was all-region, too. :shrug:But no griping from me. Would hate to see Bettis go out like that.

Everything is relative.

Nobody seems to mention that Harper actually made a great play. He grabbed a bouncing fumbled ball and ran it back 35 yards to give the Colts a chance to win the game.

Just because Big Ben made a great tackle does not mean that Haper made a poor one.
If you watch the play, Harper made a poor decision. What is to argue about that? If he had stayed outside, he very possibly could have STOLEN a game from the Steelers that the Colts had no business winning.

Users who are viewing this thread