What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If you were moving OUTSIDE the USA for retirement, where would you go? (2 Viewers)

i have dual citizenship w Ireland and have long planned to retire as close to here, in County Mayo, as i can afford.

my backup plan was the microclimates of mountain Mexico - the states of Zacatecas & Guanajuato - that are never too hot nor too cold and value is still to be had if you look close enough, but my health has deteriorated to a point that i can't trust healthcare any more than kidnappers down there.

i havent investigated the particulars all that much, but the Eurospots i've been to that seemed the most retirement-worthy (where one can have a nice Bohemian sink-into-the-culture retirement rather than a condo in a hotspot) were Crete & Peloponnesus in Greece, Sicily (except the far west, still Mafia run), NW Spain. I'm sure the Balkans have plenty of good spots still, too. The ownership rules are weird some places in Europe but usually worth the red tape

This.  

Just got back from Switzerland yesterday - my 4th time visiting in the last 7 years (can't get enough of the mountains).  I told my son it's gonna be a long time before we go back because I just can't tolerate the cost.  We had an airbnb to help save on food, but even getting takeout pizza one night for 2 was over $50, and the pizza wasn't even good.  Real restaurants are even crazier.  I ordered a Negroni at the local bar and it was $22.  Beers that were $3 in Germany were $8 in Switzerland.  For what we spent on 4 days hiking there, we could have gone to the Italian Dolomites for over a week, and probably close to a month in Slovenia.

Plus, even though their health care is excellent, it's also crazy expensive.  No nationalized medicine for the Swiss.

If I sound bitter, it's because only 24 hours ago, I paid a metered cab $29 to drive me 5 km to the airport.
The obvious answer is to move to Switzerland a drive a hack

Assume you are retired and fairly comfortably with money but not loaded. You shouldn't have to work unless you want to.

Where would you go?

Why?

Costs?

New language?

Healthcare?

:coffee:
First one Italy. I love the Italian culture and I'm starting to try and do the Family tree on my Dad's side (What a ##### this is when Family records aren't kept in order if at all) and so far I've gotten as far as My dad's side came from Foggia I think before my Grandparents came over it was my My grandpa's. Language would be fairly easy and I love the Soccer culture. I'd live in Either Milan or Rome and vacation in Capri. Also once you become a Natural citizen you are in line for their universal healthcare. 

Tokyo, Japan: Culture and Health Care is great. Also another culture thing

Sydney Australia: My Cousin may eventually move there as his fiancee is from there. We're fairly close almost like brothers.. Language wouldn't be an issue and I kind of wanted to always see a Wild Kangaroo out in it's natural habitat. 

Bahama's: I'm a beach guy and I hate the cold. 

Sweden: New Language and healthcare is great. 

Paris France: Langauge I had an Aunt who lived there for yrs too. I'm not a big wine person but definitely something I'd be interested in starting a hobby with

Munich Germany: I have a Customer who lived there for 5 yrs. He loved it. Also German Beer is amazing 

Both Germany/France are central and I could move about on trips to European counties. Paris a plane trip to Milan is over an 1hr and a half or a bit longer by Train. The trip for me would be no different then a train from PHI/NYC. 

Toronto Canada: This is the only city/Country I've been to so far out of the US. However I was there in the late summer. People speak English but always wanted to learn French Canadian. Also Poutine!!!!!! Again I hate winter so maybe a trip in the winter would make me think twice. Would probably live there in the Summer and then find somewhere warmer in the Winter

Dubai: I have a friend from HS living there with her boyfriend from Scotland. She loves it. though I don't know how much because every few weeks she seems to be visiting a different country. This past April May she was in Poland, Belize, Spain, Germany, etc. Girl can travel 

i have dual citizenship w Ireland and have long planned to retire as close to here, in County Mayo, as i can afford.

my backup plan was the microclimates of mountain Mexico - the states of Zacatecas & Guanajuato - that are never too hot nor too cold and value is still to be had if you look close enough, but my health has deteriorated to a point that i can't trust healthcare any more than kidnappers down there.

i havent investigated the particulars all that much, but the Eurospots i've been to that seemed the most retirement-worthy (where one can have a nice Bohemian sink-into-the-culture retirement rather than a condo in a hotspot) were Crete & Peloponnesus in Greece, Sicily (except the far west, still Mafia run), NW Spain. I'm sure the Balkans have plenty of good spots still, too. The ownership rules are weird some places in Europe but usually worth the red tape
My ex Store Director for GameStop when I worked there is a dual citizen for Ireland thanks to his wife which people somehow mistaken as not Irish despite the accent. He's now a District Manager and eventually can choose what location he wants. His wife wants to return to Ireland at some point and they don't have kids yet and Ireland has GameStops there so he might be moving there even before he retires for work and for his wife. 

Can't imagine why so many people said Vancouver.  I can't wait to retire so I can move away from the Pacific NW weather. 
It's usually grey, but there are always things to do outdoors, rain/snow or shine. And much milder than the interior of Canada.

Last edited by a moderator:
Africa would be South Africa and I can’t think of a close second.
A friend just got back from an extended trip to South Africa. Until the political climate stabilizes (if it ever does), zero chance I’m visiting let alone moving there. 

Switzerland
this is where i was going to pick you do not need to spend a mint when all you do is go hiking and enjoy the beatufiul mountains every day and all that hiking would make you pretty healthy i bet hey man you pay for the place but the views they are free take that to the bank brohans 

New Zealand for sure. Either Queenstown on the south island or Wellington on the north island. I was there last year and have been seriously considering doing this.

Obviously there is no language problem. Health care situation is very good. Cost of living is higher but do-able. And there is no anti-American sentiment. Both islands are beautiful.

I knew a guy that retired to Belize a few years ago but only lasted a few months.  Said the bugs/mosquitos we're awful.  He packed up and went to the West coast of Mexico.  Can't remember the exact town though.  He preferred the more arid side of the region he told me.  I've only seen Belize from a cruise ship.  

I did spend a week in Nosara, Costa Rica a few years ago and would have been completely happy to spend the rest of my life there.  I hear Nicaragua is great too.  Super easy to get down there these days.  

Greece for me.

Beautiful scenery, low cost of living and the climate is very close to my current SoCal one.

Toronto Canada: This is the only city/Country I've been to so far out of the US. However I was there in the late summer. People speak English but always wanted to learn French Canadian. Also Poutine!!!!!! Again I hate winter so maybe a trip in the winter would make me think twice. Would probably live there in the Summer and then find somewhere warmer in the Winter
The cost of living in Toronto is ridiculous - housing alone prices many outside the GTA and beyond. Love this city beyond most others, but not a place I'd necessarily recommend retiring to given COL.

i'm intrigued by Croatia, not sure on the cost of living./healthcare thing.

funny that people keep listing super expensive places to retire in though.   

The other great thing about Belize that hasnt been mentioned is that their currency (and rate) are the same as the US, so both language and money are the same. Same cant be said for Costa Rica.

My answer, however, would be the Bahamas "Out Islands" (not Nassau). Language and currency are US based, so its like Belize without the crime / sketch factor.

[icon] said:
A friend just got back from an extended trip to South Africa. Until the political climate stabilizes (if it ever does), zero chance I’m visiting let alone moving there. 
Totally agree. I have business down there and have been there a couple times recently. It is so strange politically. It really is. 

All the "whites" we do business with carry guns with them all the time. The "blacks," they're word - not mine, are now in power politically, and have implemented a policy where "they" can "take land back" just by claiming their ancestors inhabited it at some point within the last 100 years. So they have lots of situations where whites are armed to the hilt to try to stop "blacks" from coming and taking their land. (I'm not saying which side is right or wrong, just relaying the info as it was relayed to me).

The whites run business. The blacks run politics. So there is TONS of tension between the races, and it just isn't a safe place to be right now. 

I won't be visiting again until things settle down some more.

Probably Ireland for me -- I like the Killarney mention above.   I could also see Galway area.  

My ancestral home is Netherlands (my last name is Van ___, with the blank being a small town in the Netherlands).  I've never been, but I may want to visit before ruling it out.

Denmark (where I live)

Spain

Portugal

Italy (would have to learn Italian, but I already know Portuguese, Spanish and some French)
Denmark was my favorite place I visited while in the service.  I loved Copenhagen.  Tivoli  gardens was great, and of course being young the Red light district impressed me and of course the nude girls on the beach.  I sure would love to go back there.

Denmark was my favorite place I visited while in the service.  I loved Copenhagen.  Tivoli  gardens was great, and of course being young the Red light district impressed me and of course the nude girls on the beach.  I sure would love to go back there.
Come on by, I'll buy you a craft beer!

Totally agree. I have business down there and have been there a couple times recently. It is so strange politically. It really is. 

All the "whites" we do business with carry guns with them all the time. The "blacks," they're word - not mine, are now in power politically, and have implemented a policy where "they" can "take land back" just by claiming their ancestors inhabited it at some point within the last 100 years. So they have lots of situations where whites are armed to the hilt to try to stop "blacks" from coming and taking their land. (I'm not saying which side is right or wrong, just relaying the info as it was relayed to me).

The whites run business. The blacks run politics. So there is TONS of tension between the races, and it just isn't a safe place to be right now. 

I won't be visiting again until things settle down some more.
Whoa, had no idea it was this bad down there. 

I didn't either until I went there and heard it first hand. It's really crazy. Almost every conversation somehow turned to talking about race in one way or another.

Here's an article talking about the land issue:

https://abcnews.go.com/International/growing-fight-south-africa-land-identity/story?id=62280577
Yep my friend expressed a very similar experience. They “camped” on a wildlife refuge in huts and it wasn’t so bad when isolated like that..  but when they were in “town” and the city it was pretty bad. They felt quite unsafe many times, and they are seasoned travelers. They will not be back. 

The hell with going anywhere in Africa right now, IMO. Too many other options... which is unfortunate. 

Yep my friend expressed a very similar experience. They “camped” on a wildlife refuge in huts and it wasn’t so bad when isolated like that..  but when they were in “town” and the city it was pretty bad. They felt quite unsafe many times, and they are seasoned travelers. They will not be back. 

The hell with going anywhere in Africa right now, IMO. Too many other options... which is unfortunate. 
I felt totally safe in Kenya and Tanzania. 

I felt totally safe in Kenya and Tanzania. 
How long ago was this, out of curiosity? I can’t speak specially to those countries but quite a few have devolved / destabilized rapidly in the last year or so. I would look heavily into current status before mandatory travel. 

For recreational travel, there are far far too many places I’d rather go to even consider anywhere in that continent short of a day trip over from Gibraltar or something. (Was considering that as part of a Malaga Spain trip that was in the works) 

How long ago was this, out of curiosity? I can’t speak specially to those countries but quite a few have devolved / destabilized rapidly in the last year or so. I would look heavily into current status before mandatory travel. 

For recreational travel, there are far far too many places I’d rather go to even consider anywhere in that continent short of a day trip over from Gibraltar or something. (Was considering that as part of a Malaga Spain trip that was in the works) 
About 3 years ago.

Come on by, I'll buy you a craft beer!
I sure wish I could,  but I think my international traveling days are a thing of the past I barely get out of Florida now.  I visited back in the 70s so I am sure plenty has changed.  The visit always brings back fond memories  and the people were so friendly  one of the nicest places I have ever visited.

About 3 years ago.
Well you have far more real world experience than I on the continent. I’m just going off what I’ve read or heard second hand... so outside of South Africa I don’t claim to be gospel on it. But definitely bears looking into before travel :thumbup:  

I always thought this too, but I've always thought it's a bit far north.  Average temperature in July is 63F, would there be very many weeks with nude girls on the beach?

Vancouver 

Switzerland 

Melbourne 

Portugal

What do I get for winning?

People choosing third world countries are underestimating the importance of quality healthcare at that stage in your life.
Your prize is a one way ticket out of the country. We ran out of tickets to the places you listed, so we're sending you to Ethiopia

Stompin' Tom Connors said:
The cost of living in Toronto is ridiculous - housing alone prices many outside the GTA and beyond. Love this city beyond most others, but not a place I'd necessarily recommend retiring to given COL.
Yeah I agree but the thread was if money wasn't an issue I would. We got lucky when we went because we ended up in a rental apartment same side as ATM Air Canada Centre (They were building something in between the arena and where I was staying) the people renting to us gave us a good deal. Only issue was they were not really suppose to rent out so they told us not to really speak to any neighbors and the girl was a similar age as me so if anyone asked who we were We were just gonna tell them I went to school with the girl and was visiting from Out of town. However yeah Toronto was fairly expensive 

Users who are viewing this thread