What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"I'm Done Making My Kid's Childhood Magical" (1 Viewer)

So, I just found out a parent at my kids Montessori is good friends and neighbors with the free range family.

Personally, I'm a fan of them. When I was ten, I was biking all over the place, with no helmet, and kid nappings were much more common than they are today.
I think kids nap a lot more now.

I just booked a 7pm showing for the SPONGEBOB movie on Friday. IT WILL BE MAGICAL!!!!
You're ruining his life. Well done.
Seriously don't do it. My wife flips if our son watches is cause she's a teacher and says all the kids that watch the show are the worst kids at school.
I was joking, but seriously it's the one show I don't let my daughter watch. Would rather hand her a copy of 50 Shades.

So, I just found out a parent at my kids Montessori is good friends and neighbors with the free range family.

Personally, I'm a fan of them. When I was ten, I was biking all over the place, with no helmet, and kid nappings were much more common than they are today.
The availability of kidnappable kids was higher.

My kids are still young enough that my opinion about something makes all other differing opinions wrong in their eyes. More accurately, that's how my daughter sees it. My son worships her, so he agrees with whatever she thinks. I told my daughter I don't like SpongeBob, so she doesn't like it either. Problem (temporarily) solved.

I let my 5 yr old watch Spongebob and he could be a little ##### sometimes so you guys might be on to something.

IT'S NOT LIKE I ASKED MY SPERM TO PRODUCE TWINS WHEN I UNLEASHED THEM!!!!!1111
Most people don't get to 5 counting by 2's.
:lmao:

My mother made me go to cotillion when I was in 4th-6th grades. Had to dress up in a suit & tie, go to the country club and dance the fox trot or waltz or cotton eyed joe with girls wearing dresses and white gloves. This still comes out in therapy. I hated every mother ####### second of it and once got in trouble for hiding behind a ficus benjamina. The instructors were direct descendants of the Third Reich, of that I am certain.
Oh good God

:lmao: @ Third Reich

Some of the sentiment hits home for me, although its something I've been well aware of for a few years now and an issue I've tried to address with my wife. The comment, "Our parents were not responsible for entertaining us" sums it up for me. My childhood memories are of my parents enjoying their lives, and bringing us along for the ride. In my life, and those of most all of my friends, our weekends, vacations and most all of our free time is dictated by our kids. One minor example - although I played sports most all of my youth, I'm pretty certain my parents never attended one single practice, and likely missed many of the games. I have friends who attend practices with their kids several days a week, year round. One friend has two boys, and has year round games every single weekend - many involving long drives and overnights. Summer for my kids is a constant barrage of activities, day camps, etc. - in each case something we researched, paid for and drove them to. We feel responsible for entertaining and stimulating our kids constantly. That's our job, not theirs. I hate it honestly, but don't see a good solution. Its just the way we live now.
:goodposting:

I have been amazed for years at the number of parents (and grandparents!) who essentially devote all their free time to their kids' sports teams. I'm talking highly-educated people who could cultivate any number of high-quality hobbies, but instead their lives consist of work and youth sports. Screw that.
:goodposting:

HINT, if you have to ask, no, your kid is not getting a D1 scholarship in whatever sport they are playing. Just let them play.

cstu, on 22 Feb 2015 - 8:59 PM, said:
GoBirds, on 22 Feb 2015 - 7:08 PM, said:
cstu, on 04 Feb 2015 - 2:01 PM, said:
belljr, on 04 Feb 2015 - 1:37 PM, said:I just booked a 7pm showing for the SPONGEBOB movie on Friday. IT WILL BE MAGICAL!!!!
You're ruining his life. Well done.
Seriously don't do it. My wife flips if our son watches is cause she's a teacher and says all the kids that watch the show are the worst kids at school.
I was joking, but seriously it's the one show I don't let my daughter watch. Would rather hand her a copy of 50 Shades.
When I hear my wife about to walk in the room I change the channel to it sometimes just to watch her get pissed. I'm not qualified to say if it's bad or not but she sure feels strongly about it.

Daniel Tiger it is.

my kids watch so much crap that I doubt spongebob is the thing that corrupts them

And yes, we do tons of other stuff besides watch TV. But when they do, its Nickelodeon or Disney. I dont monitor much past that

What's the deal with SpongeBob? Admittedly I haven't watched new episodes in ages because they started really sucking after the first few season, but those old ones are awesome. My daughter was pretty much raised on them. Did it get a lot more "adult" lately?

What's the deal with SpongeBob? Admittedly I haven't watched new episodes in ages because they started really sucking after the first few season, but those old ones are awesome. My daughter was pretty much raised on them. Did it get a lot more "adult" lately?
Wife doesn't want our kids watching it either.

She says they call each other names a bit too much for her liking

nope it hasnt changed. Its alot like the bugs bunny and tom and jerry we grew up on. It has cartoon violence which i dont mind but the name calling is a bit bothersome.

Name-calling?

Squidward goes off a lot but they make him so obviously a sour#### and someone not to be emulated.

:shrug:

Nope same awesomeness

The availability of kidnappable kids was higher.
Yeah...that's the reason. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread