What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Flacco the long term answer for Ravens? (1 Viewer)

Goldalene

Footballguy
I've not seen Flacco play, but the Audible team seem down on him ever being a good QB. I'm wondering, mainly from a dynasty point of view, if the Ravens are content with him as a long term solution and he'll be playing the next few years for them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but without looking it up, didn't the guy just throw for 3,500+ yards, 24 TDs, and only 12 INTs last year in only his second season in the NFL?

Can someone post his 2009 stats? (I'm posting on my mobile)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but without looking it up, didn't the guy just throw for 3,500+ yards, 24 TDs, and only 12 INTs last year in only his second season in the NFL?Can someone post his 2009 stats? (I'm posting on my mobile)
315/499 for 3613 yds, 21 TDs, 12 INTs

On pace for 3680, 20tds, 24ints, 57%.

though 3tds (of his 5) and 0ints (of his 6) were aganst Clev.

The Audible guys have never thought much of Flacco. But every indication is that the Ravens have hitched their wagon to him for the forseeable future. This ain't Kyle Boller - Flacco has shown lots of growth from last season to this, and even game to game this year. He's got a way to go to be elite (& may never reach super, upper tier status) but I think this team can win with him even if he only improves marginally. The big thing that was missing from his resume coming into 2010 was his ability to lead the team for winning scores late in games and he's done that the last two weeks.

As a fan, sure I'd love to have Brady, Manning, or Brees. But barring the top half-dozen guys, I'm pretty comfortable with Flacco. If I were GM, I wouldn't trade him for someone like Romo or Cutler.

On pace for 3680, 20tds, 24ints, 57%. though 3tds (of his 5) and 0ints (of his 6) were aganst Clev.
I look for those numbers to normalize as the Cincy debacle carries less and less weight, plus he's getting more & more comfortable with his new toys as we go along. The yardage pace is probably about right. I think the TD pace & complettion % will climb and the INT pace will go way down.My guess is that he'll end up some like 3700 yds, 25 TDs, 14 INTs, 65%

Correct me if I'm wrong, but without looking it up, didn't the guy just throw for 3,500+ yards, 24 TDs, and only 12 INTs last year in only his second season in the NFL?Can someone post his 2009 stats? (I'm posting on my mobile)
And he's won three playoff games in his first two seasons. I think he's pretty safe.

And he's won three playoff games in his first two seasons. I think he's pretty safe.
Amen.If Alex Smith can concurrently stick around for 6 years, and Kyle Boller got to stick around for 5... Flacco is good for a second contract at least.

In all seriousness, how have you not managed to see Flacco play at all in 2+ seasons?

edit: "From: UK" Sorry mate.

He's the best QB we've seen in these parts for a decade so Ravens fans are pretty content with his performance to date. Keep in mind that he started the 2008 season as the third QB and was thrown into the breach right away. He's smart, well-liked by his teammates, has no ego and a great arm for the mid-range passing attack. The ball gets there plenty fast enough. He needs to learn to get rid of it a little quicker, IMHO, but I think that'll come with time.

He probably won't ever be a Brady, Brees or Manning but he's plenty good enough to win with if they keep putting the right pieces alongside him.

He's the best QB we've seen in these parts for a decade so Ravens fans are pretty content with his performance to date. Keep in mind that he started the 2008 season as the third QB and was thrown into the breach right away. He's smart, well-liked by his teammates, has no ego and a great arm for the mid-range passing attack. The ball gets there plenty fast enough. He needs to learn to get rid of it a little quicker, IMHO, but I think that'll come with time.He probably won't ever be a Brady, Brees or Manning but he's plenty good enough to win with if they keep putting the right pieces alongside him.
Flacco did a nice job getting rid of the ball quickly last week to negate the Pittsburgh zone blitzing. He has struggled a bit somewhat this season but I was very impressed with his performance against the Steelers.

He's the best QB we've seen in these parts for a decade so Ravens fans are pretty content with his performance to date. Keep in mind that he started the 2008 season as the third QB and was thrown into the breach right away. He's smart, well-liked by his teammates, has no ego and a great arm for the mid-range passing attack. The ball gets there plenty fast enough. He needs to learn to get rid of it a little quicker, IMHO, but I think that'll come with time.He probably won't ever be a Brady, Brees or Manning but he's plenty good enough to win with if they keep putting the right pieces alongside him.
Flacco did a nice job getting rid of the ball quickly last week to negate the Pittsburgh zone blitzing. He has struggled a bit somewhat this season but I was very impressed with his performance against the Steelers.
:tinfoilhat: to bothSunday, he looked much more comfortable trusting his receivers not named Mason & Heap to be where they were supposed to be but as my GB roadkill says he still holds the ball a little too long then tries to strong-arm it in there. As he gets more used to Boldin & Housh I think it'll get better.

Just a little bump to point out that Flacco is quietly having an outstanding season. He was overshadowed by Ryan on Thursday Night last week, as his late-game heroics (two TD drives in the final 6 minutes on the road vs. a 6-2 team) were forgotten in the wake of Atlanta's game-winning TD, but he has been putting up great numbers.

After getting off to a slow start at NYJ and at Cincy, he's had a 107.6 QB rating over the last 8 games - 15 TDs and only 2 INTs. In the last 5 games, his QB ratings have been 119, 111, 129, 99, and 111.

Good thing he's arriving now, as the Ravens defense is in serious decline.

Just a little bump to point out that Flacco is quietly having an outstanding season. He was overshadowed by Ryan on Thursday Night last week, as his late-game heroics (two TD drives in the final 6 minutes on the road vs. a 6-2 team) were forgotten in the wake of Atlanta's game-winning TD, but he has been putting up great numbers.After getting off to a slow start at NYJ and at Cincy, he's had a 107.6 QB rating over the last 8 games - 15 TDs and only 2 INTs. In the last 5 games, his QB ratings have been 119, 111, 129, 99, and 111. Good thing he's arriving now, as the Ravens defense is in serious decline.
I think Flacco is one of those guys that is solid, if unremarkable. He won't throw up 350 yds and win a game by himself, but he won't throw 4 picks and lose it for you either. I guess "Game manager" comes to mind. The Ravens like to run the ball and throw screens and checkdowns with lots of YAC. But if needed, Flacco can put the ball up with confidence.Much to my chagrin, he'll be playing for a long time in Baltimore.

Stillers Jr. said:
The_Man said:
Just a little bump to point out that Flacco is quietly having an outstanding season. He was overshadowed by Ryan on Thursday Night last week, as his late-game heroics (two TD drives in the final 6 minutes on the road vs. a 6-2 team) were forgotten in the wake of Atlanta's game-winning TD, but he has been putting up great numbers.

After getting off to a slow start at NYJ and at Cincy, he's had a 107.6 QB rating over the last 8 games - 15 TDs and only 2 INTs. In the last 5 games, his QB ratings have been 119, 111, 129, 99, and 111.

I think Flacco is one of those guys that is solid, if unremarkable.

He won't throw up 350 yds and win a game by himself, but he won't throw 4 picks and lose it for you either.

I guess "Game manager" comes to mind. The Ravens like to run the ball and throw screens and checkdowns with lots of YAC. But if needed, Flacco can put the ball up with confidence.

Much to my chagrin, he'll be playing for a long time in Baltimore.
That's kind of my point - over the last 8 games he has 107 QB rating with 2,031 yards, 15 TDs and 2 INTs. Extended over a full season, those are on the verge of elite numbers. But because of Baltimore's traditional reputation, people still perceive Flacco as a game manager. The reality is, he's the reason the Ravens are winning games right now.

If you are not high on Flacco as a guy to build around and a franchise QB (that doesnt mean elite, but in the next tier), then I don't know how to respect much else you have to say on the game. Guy has been really solid and at times great, with pockets of some inconsistency... what else can you expect from a still very young QB?

Stillers Jr. said:
The_Man said:

He won't throw up 350 yds and win a game by himself, but he won't throw 4 picks and lose it for you either.

I guess "Game manager" comes to mind. The Ravens like to run the ball and throw screens and checkdowns with lots of YAC. But if needed, Flacco can put the ball up with confidence.

Do you think of Big Ben as a game manager? Because I think Flacco has a somewhat similar game. Big arm, tall and strong, with decent athleticism for his size. If you look at Ben he did not really shake the game manager monicker until he put up big numbers in his 4th season.I think Flacco has made steady improvements over his first 2 plus seasons, and is definitely the long term answer for the Ravens at QB. Remember he started as a rookie coming out of a 1AA school. According to some league observers he throws the best deep out in football. He may never be a superstar like Manning, Brady but I think he will be one of the better QBs in the league for the next decade.

Flacco is someone I put on my radar when looking at playoffs QB schedules .......

Week 14 vs Houston

Week 15 vs New Orleans

Week 16 vs Cleveland

BusterTBronco said:
How does Flacco not know that Polamalu would be blitzing on that play? He singlehandedly lost the game for the Ravens last night. Good luck with the wildcard, Baltimore.
It happens? Yeah, it was an AWFUL play by Flacco, but that is life in the NFL. He will (hopefully) learn from it and continue to progress as a QB. What was curious about last nights game is the lack of flow the Baltimore offense had when they seemed to have good luck throwing the ball downfield when they needed, to, especially early in the game.

Have to agree with the earlier posters. I really don't see Flacco as a game manager at all, but rather as a young QB with great potential. To put in context of Ravens, if I think Game Manager, I think Trent Dilfer.

The numbers look ok, but whenever I watch him in bigger games, he seems to keep his eyes downfield too much for the longer developing deep route. He is horrible at getting the ball out quick on a blitz, and it seems like he could check down to his backs far more frequently to have more 2nd and 5 scenarios...as opposed to all of the 2nd and 10 situations they always find themselves in most games.

He's the new wave Matt Hasslebeck. Pretty good..not elite.

The numbers look ok, but whenever I watch him in bigger games, he seems to keep his eyes downfield too much for the longer developing deep route. He is horrible at getting the ball out quick on a blitz, and it seems like he could check down to his backs far more frequently to have more 2nd and 5 scenarios...as opposed to all of the 2nd and 10 situations they always find themselves in most games.He's the new wave Matt Hasslebeck. Pretty good..not elite.
He has better skills than Hass and the guy is still a third year QB coming from whatever D1.5 is called nowadays. While I don't see Elite from him, I see better than very good. Next year will be pivotal in his development as he will no longer be a "young QB" but rather really entering his prime.

I can never get over how horrible his pocket awareness is at times. It is like he has no clue a hit is coming even though he has been standing back there well past the normal time a QB should expect to have to get a pass away.

I stand by my original assessment.

Against good teams, Flacco is a game manager. Checkdown charlie if you will.

He throws more screen passes and 5 yd passes than anyone I've seen in a while.

That's all well and good when Ray Rice and McGahee are running the ball...but when you're playing a good defense....

It's like they (the Balt coaches) don't want him throwing deep.

I remember one pass all game that was over 20 yds in the air...it was intercepted by Ryan Clark.

Even balt homers have to admit, Flacco was flustered big time in the 2nd half today. His lack of confidence was almost palpable.

As a Steeler fan, I am glad Joe Flacco is where he is and hope he stays there for quite some time.

Glass Joe can't win the big ones and seems to get the dreaded "deer in headlights" look come crunch time. I think he's an Eli Manning type of QB. Adequate, but not really a guy you want leading your team when you're down 6 points with 1:57 left on the clock.

Contrast his performance with that of Aaron Rodgers, who coolly and surgically picked apart the Falcons defense in a hostile environment facing quite a lot of pressure from Atlanta's front 7. That guy has ice water in his veins. All the great ones do. They have the ability to turn on the "god mode" switch when their team needs them most. Rodgers has been doing it since college (see USC and Va Tech games). I've never seen Flacco get the aura of invincibility when it actually counts.

You are talking about Ben, right?

I can never get over how horrible his pocket awareness is at times. It is like he has no clue a hit is coming even though he has been standing back there well past the normal time a QB should expect to have to get a pass away.

Flacco has struggled in most of his playoff games. Here's something that will make your jaw drop. The Ravens blew out the Patriots on the road in a playoff game last year 33-14. Flacco completed only 4 passes for 34 yards and had a QB rating of 10. The Ravens won by running 52 times for over 200 yards. Flacco's game vs the Chiefs was the first time he played well in a playoff game.

Glass Joe can't win the big ones and seems to get the dreaded "deer in headlights" look come crunch time. I think he's an Eli Manning type of QB. Adequate, but not really a guy you want leading your team when you're down 6 points with 1:57 left on the clock.

Contrast his performance with that of Aaron Rodgers, who coolly and surgically picked apart the Falcons defense in a hostile environment facing quite a lot of pressure from Atlanta's front 7. That guy has ice water in his veins. All the great ones do. They have the ability to turn on the "god mode" switch when their team needs them most. Rodgers has been doing it since college (see USC and Va Tech games). I've never seen Flacco get the aura of invincibility when it actually counts.
I guess you have never watched Eli Manning play, as this is probably the best part of his game.

The guy will be fine. He's only 26. He needs maybe one more season of playoff experience and he'll be set.

I'd worry more about his receivers catching balls, the aging defense, etc. But the Ravens have at least 3 more years in their championship window.

He didn't have a great game by any standards, but a deer in the headlights look in pressure situations? Please.

He threw an absolutely perfect pass on third and goal that should've given the Ravens the lead with less than 4 minutes to play, but the receiver the Ravens paid big money for in the offseason(Boldin), dropped it. It was a perfect pass too. Down where it couldn't be hit by the defenders, yet still a very catchable ball. Terrible drop, but we're supposed to believe Flacco is the one who didn't step up in that situation?

How about 4th and 12 with the game on the line and facing a heavy blitz? Once again he stands in the pocket and delivers a perfect strike that should've extended the drive and put the Ravens inside the Steelers' 40. What happened? Receiver dropped it again. I don't see that as a QB with problems delivering in pressure situations, that's all on his receivers. Like I said he wasn't spectacular, but don't pretend that he choked either. His receivers choked, there's a big difference there. Look at Rodgers last year. He throws a perfect pass in overtime to Jennings that should've been a TD to win a playoff game, but it was dropped. All year we heard how he couldn't win in pressure situations, then Michael Vick throws an interception and no one's talking like that anymore. What did he change? Nothing. His receivers just caught the perfectly thrown passes that came their way that's all. If Boldin and Housh make those plays we might be talking about Flacco having "ice in his veins" instead of him choking. It's ridiculous.

I still think he'll become a very good QB and will likely have a Super Bowl ring on his finger by the end of his career.

He didn't have a great game by any standards, but a deer in the headlights look in pressure situations? Please.He threw an absolutely perfect pass on third and goal that should've given the Ravens the lead with less than 4 minutes to play, but the receiver the Ravens paid big money for in the offseason(Boldin), dropped it. It was a perfect pass too. Down where it couldn't be hit by the defenders, yet still a very catchable ball. Terrible drop, but we're supposed to believe Flacco is the one who didn't step up in that situation?How about 4th and 12 with the game on the line and facing a heavy blitz? Once again he stands in the pocket and delivers a perfect strike that should've extended the drive and put the Ravens inside the Steelers' 40. What happened? Receiver dropped it again. I don't see that as a QB with problems delivering in pressure situations, that's all on his receivers. Like I said he wasn't spectacular, but don't pretend that he choked either. His receivers choked, there's a big difference there. Look at Rodgers last year. He throws a perfect pass in overtime to Jennings that should've been a TD to win a playoff game, but it was dropped. All year we heard how he couldn't win in pressure situations, then Michael Vick throws an interception and no one's talking like that anymore. What did he change? Nothing. His receivers just caught the perfectly thrown passes that came their way that's all. If Boldin and Housh make those plays we might be talking about Flacco having "ice in his veins" instead of him choking. It's ridiculous.I still think he'll become a very good QB and will likely have a Super Bowl ring on his finger by the end of his career.
:kicksrock: Housh and Boldin really let him down today. Contrast that with Hines Ward and a 6th round unheralded rookie receiver, and that's the difference in the game.

I'm just about ready to quit the Internet. The mentality that "if you're not first you're last" pervades just about every conversation when it comes to assessing any player.

Is he the best? No.

Is he the worst? No.

Better than average? Probably.

Three years in the league, and people are trying to assess if he has "it". Give him a break. If Boldin does his job well today the same people might be standing up and praising him for being able to get the job done. This is a team game. It makes me ill how people throw way too much praise and blame on young quarterbacks.

I think he's an Eli Manning type of QB. Adequate, but not really a guy you want leading your team when you're down 6 points with 1:57 left on the clock.
I don't know how the numbers have changed since then, but wasn't there a study a year or two ago that compared success percentage in game winning drives (rather than just total game winning drives) and Eli Manning was 1st in the league?Just because he doesn't typically play like crap for 3 and a half quarters with a great defense behind him to put himself into tons of those situations (*cough* Roethlisberger in the past *cough*) doesn't mean he's not good when he's put in that spot.
Not playing against the Pittsburgh defense certainly helps too. And let's not forget that no one here is trying to compare Flacco to Rodgers, who is one of the league's best.I don't even like Flacco, but these were just some weird arguments.

Drops don't totally explain the stat line. He was 16/30 for 125 yards with 1 TD and 1 INT. That's just 53.3% completions and 4.2 yards per attempt. In other words, a pitiful Brady Quinn-esque performance.

I'm being overly harsh on Flacco in order to make a point. He's obviously not a terrible QB. His regular season stats have been solid, albeit not incredible. Therein lies the rub though. The latter stages of the playoffs are occupied by elite passers. While it might not be fair to compare Flacco to Brady/Roethlisberger/Brees/Ryan/Rodgers/Peyton, those are the guys he'll be competing against for championships. Flacco might be above average compared to the population of the NFL quarterbacks, but he's below average compared to the guys who win rings.

Not the best game to judge him on (considering Boldin and Housh).

They got to get someone that can stretch the field. [Draft pick? Moss? Breaston? Evans? (if let go by Buff)]. Housh was a weird signing to me considering they already had 2 possession receivers. On the bright side for Balt, it's a good offseason to find a WR.

He's a better than league average QB for certain.

Drops don't totally explain the stat line. He was 16/30 for 125 yards with 1 TD and 1 INT. That's just 53.3% completions and 4.2 yards per attempt. In other words, a pitiful Brady Quinn-esque performance.

I'm being overly harsh on Flacco in order to make a point. He's obviously not a terrible QB. His regular season stats have been solid, albeit not incredible. Therein lies the rub though. The latter stages of the playoffs are occupied by elite passers. While it might not be fair to compare Flacco to Brady/Roethlisberger/Brees/Ryan/Rodgers/Peyton, those are the guys he'll be competing against for championships. Flacco might be above average compared to the population of the NFL quarterbacks, but he's below average compared to the guys who win rings.
Ryan is not elite. I really don't get why people keep trying to say he is. There are about 6 QBs that I want with the ball in their hands down 4, 2 minutes left. Peyton Manning

Tom Brady

Phillip Rivers

Big Ben

Rodgers

Brees

Honorable mention:

Romo

Vick

Probably about in that order too.

Then their is everyone else. And for my money, neither Ryan or Flacco are the type of guys who will ever be in that category. good but not elite.

Not the best game to judge him on (considering Boldin and Housh).They got to get someone that can stretch the field. [Draft pick? Moss? Breaston? Evans? (if let go by Buff)]. Housh was a weird signing to me considering they already had 2 possession receivers. On the bright side for Balt, it's a good offseason to find a WR. He's a better than league average QB for certain.
He was also playing against one of the pass defenses in the league. I agree, he's better than average and on the Ravens that's usually good enough but they played the Steelers yesterday and the Steelers played well.

You could win it all with Flacco at QB. But, in a conference where the Ratbirds will have to get through some combination of Brady/Manning/Roethlisberger/Rivers in the playoffs, the rest of the pieces are gonna have to be a lot better than the other guys' pieces.

You could win it all with Flacco at QB. But, in a conference where the Ratbirds will have to get through some combination of Brady/Manning/Roethlisberger/Rivers in the playoffs, the rest of the pieces are gonna have to be a lot better than the other guys' pieces.
Excellent posting. The defense will have to be dominant (it's not), the O line will have to be dominant (it's not), and the return game needs to be elite (it's not). I think that's what we have with Joe - a good QB who needs more help than the top-shelf guys.

He managed 3 playoff games , he played poorly in all of them , even in the wins ..Hes no better then a game manager ...

Flacco has skills but does he ever show any sense of urgency?? Sometimes I just want him to pick up the pace..everything seems so layed back with him.

Liked to have seen what he would have done had Housh not dropped that first down pass with a minute left.

So the guy has won three playoff games in three years and has an off day against what I believe to be the NFL's top defense in their back yard. He is solid. I would rather have him than a clear majority of other QB's.

Users who are viewing this thread