What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jameis Winston (1 Viewer)

So sick and tired of sports being turned into morality plays. Was looking forward to watching Winston. Thanks for making that not possible FSU.
Between everybody being scared of their own shadow these days and ESPN talking heads trying to save the world, sports coverage (especially football) has gotten pretty lame.

Absolutely mind boggling to me that cussing in the school quad or whatever merits a suspension of any kind.
ridiculous overreaction
I respectfully disagree. The guy was accused of sexual assault. He is a Heisman winner. He is high profile. You simply cannot go around and make any kind of statements, whether true or mocking, that involve the violation, degradation, or sexual exploitation of women.

The guy is an idiot. He should be suspended for that alone. But his pattern of behavior deserves some form of punishment. I wish worse than this, but I'll take it. Hopefully Clemson will win the game, and this guy will look like a bigger doosh.
I appreciate your position. I am not a big fan of FSu or Winston and think the kid is an idiot and absolutely tone deaf.

But, I personally don't feel the utterance of that phrase constitutes the violation, degradation or sexual exploitation of women. Is it something I really want my kid to say, absolutely not. But at the end of the day, kids shouldn't be suspended for expressing a tasteless joke. Not to sound reactionary myself, but it is kind of scary to me that such an offense is worthy of a suspension.

In the span of a couple of weeks we have seemingly gone from you need to have a criminal conviction, to a criminal allegation by authorities to an allegation made by anyone to merely uttering curse words or repeating tasteless jokes in public in order to be suspended from football games.

I don't know the facts of the sexual assault charges against Winston other than it is my understanding that this has been going on for months and no charges have been brought forward. Please correct me if I am wrong. USC football player Brian Banks was accused of rape, sentenced to prison and it was later discovered that the alleged victim made up the story. The truth of the matter is that a lot of men have been accused of things they didn't do.

Where are we drawing the line on what is a suspendable offense? What if some female student was talking #### to him and he called her the C word. Is that suspendable in your eyes? What if he was caught getting a ####### in the library, would that be suspendable? If he misses Sunday service tomorrow, will he be banned from next week's game, too?

So sick and tired of sports being turned into morality plays. Was looking forward to watching Winston. Thanks for making that not possible FSU.
Maybe you should thank Winston for acting like a moron again.
Plenty of kids have acted like morons and played football. But nooo, we gotta make an example out of this one to please God knows who.
Perhaps he shouldn't have raped someone, stloen crap legs or make vulgar remarks in public.Here's something revolutionary - let's hold kids accountable.
We have laws to do that. They are held accountable. More accountable in this nation than any other looking at our prison system. He didn't rape anyone and everything else has been minor.

Last edited by a moderator:
GroveDiesel said:
Did he seriously go out there in full uniform at the start of the game? :lmao:
How could someone in the FSU locker room not catch that? He's just trying to make everyone look stupid now. :lmao:

YOU GUYS DO REALIZE HE GOT INTO STANFORD RIGHT?!?!
Tone down the racism.
Seriously. How dare that black kid who does some dumb stuff also be booksmart.
Where are you guys getting racism out of that comment? :reaching:
More out of comments in the FFA thread where I mentioned the Stanford thing.
:lmao: Yep, you nailed us. You gotta be a racist to think that Winston probably wouldn't get into Stanford if it weren't for his athletic prowess.
You spelled Realist wrong

Premier said:
Best part is ESPNs reporting of this. Lets skim over the extortion and racism and head right to Winstons agreement to comply.
Haha, wow that is bad when TMZ has become more reliable than ESPN. Here is the ESPN article with no mention of half the stuff in the TMZ one.The attorney for Florida State Seminoles quarterback Jameis Winston says his client will cooperate with the school's Title IX investigation into allegations that he raped a fellow student in December 2012.

In a letter obtained by Tuesday night by ESPN and TMZ.com, attorney David Cornwell confirmed Winston's cooperation with the probe.

In December 2013, after a three-week investigation, the Florida state attorney announced there was not enough evidence to file criminal charges against Winston. In April, it was reported that the U.S. Department of Education's Office of Civil Rights had launched its own investigation into the way Florida State handled the case.

Cornwell ends his letter to the school by writing: "Mr. Winston will cooperate with the Investigation. He looks forward to clearing his name. But Mr. Winston will not walk into a honey trap. The Investigation must be a legitimate investigation."

Premier said:
Best part is ESPNs reporting of this. Lets skim over the extortion and racism and head right to Winstons agreement to comply.
They probably don't take claims made by David Cornwell seriously given his long history of being completely full of ####
Brendan Sonnone ‏@osfsu 1h

John Clune, a Title IX lawyer representing the accuser, called Cornwell's letter “self-serving" in a statement to the Sentinel.

Brendan Sonnone ‏@osfsu 1h

Clune on Cornwell: "It was he himself who reached out to our client’s former counsel Patricia Carroll to discuss paying off our client."

Brendan Sonnone ‏@osfsu 57m

Clune: “Mr. Cornwell appears to know that Mr. Winston is about to be charged by Florida State with sexual assault..." (1/2)

Brendan Sonnone ‏@osfsu 57m

"...and this letter seems to be his final attempt to prevent FSU from complying with federal law.” (2/2) -Clune, accuser's attorney

Here is the full text of Clune’s statement in response the TMZ report:

“Atlanta NFL lawyer, David Cornwell, has apparently leaked to TMZ a self-serving letter to Florida State University that is full of dishonest and distorted statements at a time when Mr. Winston is suffering from the negative attention of his own continuing misconduct of last week. Mr. Cornwell appears to know that Mr. Winston is about to be charged by Florida State with sexual assault and this letter seems to be his final attempt to prevent FSU from complying with federal law.

“The facts that Mr. Cornwell chose not to disclose are that it was he, himself, who reached out to our client’s former counsel Patricia Carroll to discuss paying off our client. Patricia Carroll didn’t even know who David Cornwell was until he called. Mr. Cornwell then himself flew down from Atlanta to negotiate with Ms. Carroll.

“Settlement discussions were immediately unproductive as Cornwell was crude and insulting going so far as to say ‘your client likes to [expletive] football players.’ When told that the client’s main concern was not money but that Winston be held accountable for his actions, Cornwell threatened to sue our client and her parents for civil racketeering in an effort to intimidate them into staying quiet. After learning about Mr. Cornwell’s unprofessional conduct at that meeting from Ms. Carroll, our office has decidedly not engaged with Mr. Cornwell at all or anyone else on Mr. Winston’s behalf. Although it our understanding that settlement was discussed, no authorized demands were made of Mr. Winston.

“Mr. Cornwell additionally and inaccurately portrays that our client chose to file a complaint ‘two years later.’ The truth is that the University approached our client in October of 2013 and asked her for the first time whether she would cooperate with disciplinary charges against Mr. Winston after the school received a second report of sexual misconduct by another woman. Our client responded that she would certainly cooperate. Since that time our client through counsel has repeatedly agreed to cooperate and meet with the University. All of these communications, including the October 2013 discussion with FSU officials, is documented. Mr. Cornwell may wish the truth were otherwise, but FSU’s own records proves him false.

“To the extent that Mr. Cornwell references statements about Mr. Winston’s race, we would doubt that Ms. Carroll made such remarks. The suggested remarks are certainly not beliefs held by our client and she would never authorize anyone to say such things.”
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/florida-state-seminoles/jameis-winston/os-jameis-winston-attorney-tried-to-buy-silence-20140924-story.html

Here is the full text of Clune’s statement in response the TMZ report:

“Atlanta NFL lawyer, David Cornwell, has apparently leaked to TMZ a self-serving letter to Florida State University that is full of dishonest and distorted statements at a time when Mr. Winston is suffering from the negative attention of his own continuing misconduct of last week. Mr. Cornwell appears to know that Mr. Winston is about to be charged by Florida State with sexual assault and this letter seems to be his final attempt to prevent FSU from complying with federal law.

“The facts that Mr. Cornwell chose not to disclose are that it was he, himself, who reached out to our client’s former counsel Patricia Carroll to discuss paying off our client. Patricia Carroll didn’t even know who David Cornwell was until he called. Mr. Cornwell then himself flew down from Atlanta to negotiate with Ms. Carroll.

“Settlement discussions were immediately unproductive as Cornwell was crude and insulting going so far as to say ‘your client likes to [expletive] football players.’ When told that the client’s main concern was not money but that Winston be held accountable for his actions, Cornwell threatened to sue our client and her parents for civil racketeering in an effort to intimidate them into staying quiet. After learning about Mr. Cornwell’s unprofessional conduct at that meeting from Ms. Carroll, our office has decidedly not engaged with Mr. Cornwell at all or anyone else on Mr. Winston’s behalf. Although it our understanding that settlement was discussed, no authorized demands were made of Mr. Winston.

“Mr. Cornwell additionally and inaccurately portrays that our client chose to file a complaint ‘two years later.’ The truth is that the University approached our client in October of 2013 and asked her for the first time whether she would cooperate with disciplinary charges against Mr. Winston after the school received a second report of sexual misconduct by another woman. Our client responded that she would certainly cooperate. Since that time our client through counsel has repeatedly agreed to cooperate and meet with the University. All of these communications, including the October 2013 discussion with FSU officials, is documented. Mr. Cornwell may wish the truth were otherwise, but FSU’s own records proves him false.

“To the extent that Mr. Cornwell references statements about Mr. Winston’s race, we would doubt that Ms. Carroll made such remarks. The suggested remarks are certainly not beliefs held by our client and she would never authorize anyone to say such things.”
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/florida-state-seminoles/jameis-winston/os-jameis-winston-attorney-tried-to-buy-silence-20140924-story.html
David Cornwell ‏@wmdavidcornwell Will provide FSU with evidence exposing latest their latest lie.

1 girl 2 samples
It's always interesting to see what boundaries people are willing to abandon in defense of their favorite sports teams.
Like innocent until proven guilty?
I'm sorry, was the woman on trial? I've yet to hear about an adjudication of her sexual practices.
I'm sorry, was Winston on trial? I've yet to hear a guilty verdict, or even the DA bringing a charge.

1 girl 2 samples
It's always interesting to see what boundaries people are willing to abandon in defense of their favorite sports teams.
I'm sorry, was the woman on trial? I've yet to hear about an adjudication of her sexual practices.
I'm sorry, was Winston on trial? I've yet to hear a guilty verdict, or even the DA bringing a charge.
In the court of (in this case pretty fair) public opinion, he seems like an arrogant, entitled, not very intelligent joke of a man. All the talents and apparently no brain or heart.

Again, only going off what we see, but he's given us plenty to come to that conclusion.

1 girl 2 samples
I don't think T Bell said he was. Quez has taken an attack the accuser approach to this thing since day 1 though.

1 girl 2 samples
I don't think T Bell said he was. Quez has taken an attack the accuser approach to this thing since day 1 though.
Well that's fine. I think Winston is a tremendous ####head but it is tiring to hear him constantly referred to as a rapist (mainly on twitter, but even here).

I don't like him as a person but I guess because I've followed this so closely and have read most of the documents it annoys me. I don't think he raped the girl but I do think he is a moron.

1 girl 2 samples
Well that's fine. I think Winston is a tremendous ####head but it is tiring to hear him constantly referred to as a rapist (mainly on twitter, but even here).

I don't like him as a person but I guess because I've followed this so closely and have read most of the documents it annoys me. I don't think he raped the girl but I do think he is a moron.
Welcome to the world of Laker fans post-Colorado 2003.

1 girl 2 samples

I agree. My opinion of him is not based on the rape allegation. I think he's a numbskull for other reasons.

And I don't want to hear, "but he got into Stanford". Plenty of book-smart and common sense dumb people in the world.

It will be very interesting to see if any of this stuff drops his draft position.
In this thread yes, real draft will be all about how he performs on the field and workouts.
I don't see how any competent GM could have him as a first round grade, regardless of anything performance related. QB is enough of a crapshoot when there are zero red flags. You've got to be really desperate, short-sighted and/or gullible to draft Winston. I hope he goes to the Cowboys.

It will be very interesting to see if any of this stuff drops his draft position.
In this thread yes, real draft will be all about how he performs on the field and workouts.
I don't see how any competent GM could have him as a first round grade, regardless of anything performance related. QB is enough of a crapshoot when there are zero red flags. You've got to be really desperate, short-sighted and/or gullible to draft Winston. I hope he goes to the Cowboys.
Meh. There's still a lot of college football to be played. If he performs well, keeps his mouth shut, and stays out of trouble, he will still be a high pick. I understand that's a big IF.

Users who are viewing this thread