What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's lose some weight in 2021. Back to the grind... who else is in? (1 Viewer)

@fred_1_15301is monitoring it, I started to as well because myfitnesspal tracks it for me and Alex is doing the same. I was surprised how much sodium I was taking in, and I think it makes sense to try to lower it.

For me, it’s because I have high blood pressure and this is as good a time as any to start controlling it.
Gotcha, salt is a lot like sugar in that most don't realize how much they consume day to day. Like sugar, some is generally fine, but the average diet has substantially too much of both. 

Another thing @MAC_32  - most of us in here are using MFP (or a similar app) to track calories.  I’m quickly learning that just about everything processed is loaded with sodium.  Keep sodium in check (for me that means 2300 mg a day for now) and you will automatically not have to worry about calories.  My breakfasts during the week are now 0 sodium and I allocate about 500 mg for lunch.  That leaves me with plenty of room for a snack and a yummy dinner.  In weekends, I may eat eggs but I try not to go crazy still.  

Just asked Mrs APK if saturated fat was “the good fat.”   She just stared at me blinking......

Evidently that is a “no.”  I have a lot to learn about nutrition still.
Haha, it's generally considered the bad fat, but much like salt and sugar it's all about the quantity. A little of it in most diets is fine, but most have too much. Gotta talk to your doc to determine if you fit in the general box though. 

Another thing @MAC_32  - most of us in here are using MFP (or a similar app) to track calories.  I’m quickly learning that just about everything processed is loaded with sodium.  Keep sodium in check (for me that means 2300 mg a day for now) and you will automatically not have to worry about calories.  My breakfasts during the week are now 0 sodium and I allocate about 500 mg for lunch.  That leaves me with plenty of room for a snack and a yummy dinner.  In weekends, I may eat eggs but I try not to go crazy still.  
Oh, yeah. This is why I do most of my shopping on the outer rim. The aisles filled with boxes are full of poison. 

Gotcha, salt is a lot like sugar in that most don't realize how much they consume day to day. Like sugar, some is generally fine, but the average diet has substantially too much of both. 
Yup sugar is another battle.  In general, I’m pretty good at controlling that.  Portion controlling and planning ahead each day have been the key for me.

Help please. I've recently moved down to 1700 calories (probably from 2200 to three large pizza slices) and was wondering if the cravings ever level off? I'm trying to focus on higher protein and intermittent feeding but feel hangry all the time.

Help please. I've recently moved down to 1700 calories (probably from 2200 to three large pizza slices) and was wondering if the cravings ever level off? I'm trying to focus on higher protein and intermittent feeding but feel hangry all the time.
Yep.  It gets better after a few days.  Basically you learn to get comfortable being a little hungry AND for me at least I’ve learned that what I call “hungry” is often just anxious, bored, etc.

Welcome to it.  It really depends on the person but usually the answer is that it takes a few days to get used to it. Some things that help

- Drinking water. Its really common to be thirsty and misinterpret it as hunger. 

- Eating high satiety foods - especially at first you want foods that make you feel full. Carbs usually suck for this but some carbs are better than others. Potatoes fill you up and are pretty good for you. High fiber foods like fruits vegetables and oatmeal help. Raspberries in particular have a ton of fiber for very few calories.

- Protein is good - some chicken that isn't fried is usually a good bet. Rice can be a killer for calories but if you drink water after you eat it your gut will feel full. At least that's my experience.

- Fats, especially healthy fats, can help too. Guacamole/avocado, salmon and nuts 

- you may have hunger cues, like a bad habit of going to the fridge and just looking around, or having protein bars or candy lying around. You know more than we do about your cues but you want to short circuit them. Replace coke with coke zero or better yet water, put sugar free mints or gum in your candy drawer there's a million kinds like ice breakers that have strong flavors and almost 0 calories. 

- if you're struggling, brush your teeth.  It's magic. 

- stop thinking about calorie counting as "not eating" and start thinking in terms of how many calories you have left.  If you are shooting for 1700 per day, and using a tool like the myfitnesspal app, think about dinner. I like to have 800 to 1000 calories saved for dinner - that's some pizza, or a burrito, or something like that. When I have 200 calories for breakfast I think of the 1500 I have left and it's a positive thought.  I am going to earn that burrito.  I dont think "I can't eat anything until dinner".  That's a very negative thought. I know it sounds corny but it makes anhuge difference. 

- get sleep. When you're tired your willpower goes to #### and you forget everything good to become a being of pure id. 

- attend to your aches and pains. A couple people I've talked to recently have mentioned being sore and being hungry and then realized they were just sore and bored and their brain said uncomfortable must mean hungry. Your brain is a total jerk like that sometimes

- plan out the calories for food you will eat later. Sometimes just knowing you're going to get some awesome dinner for 850 calories makes you feel like you're cheating and getting away with it and that makes the act of saving 850 calories more palatable

- avoid the big breakfast if you can. Eating half your calories before lunch makes your whole day suck. Saving most of them up for later is easier because you wake up with better willpower than you usually have later in the day. 

- post about it here. We care or at least try to. We're all going through it and I've learned a ton from everyone here. 

The hardest part is getting started. You've got this. 

Yep.  It gets better after a few days.  Basically you learn to get comfortable being a little hungry AND for me at least I’ve learned that what I call “hungry” is often just anxious, bored, etc.
Just wanted to second what Alex said. When I first started watching calories two months ago, I often felt hungry and just had to learn to get used to it. For me it was kind of like the first few weeks of football camp back in HS/college, always a little sore but you just sort of learn to get through it. Give a week or so and it should get better. 

Just wanted to second what Alex said. When I first started watching calories two months ago, I often felt hungry and just had to learn to get used to it. For me it was kind of like the first few weeks of football camp back in HS/college, always a little sore but you just sort of learn to get through it. Give a week or so and it should get better. 
Let’s be honest, it does still suck somedays.  For example, today I would love to eat a freaking gallon of ice cream.  In one sitting.

Fred’s post is great.  I’ve saved myself so many calories and sodium that I’m going to feast on our eggplant Parmesan and garlic bread dinner.  

Let’s be honest, it does still suck somedays.  For example, today I would love to eat a freaking gallon of ice cream.  In one sitting.
Maybe you guys should have planned ahead and gotten properly fat like I did, did you ever think of that?

Maybe you guys should have planned ahead and gotten properly fat like I did, did you ever think of that?
LOL.  I haven't completely ruled that option out yet.  ;)  

In fairness, back in my consulting & boozing days I weighed 35 lbs more than today.   No consulting = rapid loss of 10 lbs.  Start running = rapid loss of 10 lbs.   No booze = rapid loss of 10 lbs.  

Yesterday was a test case for me.  I ate about 1600 calories, but a bunch of that was my local pizza place (lots of salt).  Also exercised a ton, 8-mile run plus other stuff and basically ended the day at net +400 calories total.  That wasn’t my goal - it just happened that way.

Anyway, salty pizza usually leads to me gaining a bunch of water weight.  But woke up this morning down 0.5 lbs from yesterday.

No idea what that means.  Net +400 isn’t a smart idea; not sustainable; not healthy.   But it was interesting to see how the salt vs caloric intake vs net calories interacted.
I don't know what it is about my goofy body, but it's usually the day after when I see a bump up after a big calorie or sodium day.

Yes, they do in pretty short order.  I moved from probably 2500 to 2800 a day down to 1500 and after 3 days the hunger pains were gone.  We stretch our stomachs out with so much food, it takes a little while for them to contract so you lose that emptiness feeling.  Drinking lots of water will help.

• Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Weekly Loss   |   Calories
  • Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 24         212.9                -13.2                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1523
  • NEW START DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS TO VALENTINES DAY
  • Dec 26         213.1               -13.0                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1510       
  • Jan 1           211.2                -14.9                  -1.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1983
  • Jan 8           210.3                -15.8                  -0.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1546
  • Jan 15         207.0                -19.1                  -3.3                  Avg daily calories during period: 1524
  • Jan 16         205.4                -20.7                                          1480
  • Jan 17         206.1                -20.0                                          1520
  • Jan 18         205.9                -20.2

• Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 24         212.9                -13.2                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1523
  • Dec 26         213.1               -13.0                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1510       
  • Jan 1           211.2                -14.9                  -1.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1983
  • Jan 8           210.3                -15.8                  -0.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1546
  • Jan 15         207.0                -19.1                  -3.3                  Avg daily calories during period: 1524
  • Jan 16         205.4                -20.7                                          1480
  • Jan 17         206.1                -20.0                                          1520
  • Jan 18         205.9                -20.2
So consistent.  Awesome.

Just making good choices daily.  Like where I'm headed

Typical breakfast is coffee with oat milk as creamer and egg beaters with salsa.  Lunch often Boars Head low sodium turkey breast lettuce wraps.  A little light mayo or mustard.  Iced tea and water throughout the day.  Dinner varies.  Tonight we did ground turkey tacos, again lettuce wraps.  Our own seasoning, no salt.  Salsa, avocado, etc.  Last night salmon and salad.  Lots of chicken.  Love poke and will get tuna/spicy tuna/salmon on a salad.  Hardest part is no red wine but like everything else once you break it it's easier.  At night I'll usually have a Health Choice fudge bar.  90 calories.  No alcohol during the week.  Allow myself 2 vodka sodas on Fri/Sat.

Walking the dog alone gets me 10,000 steps a day.  Mix in golf and Peleton on top of that.  I'm going to be religious through the end of Feb and see where I am.  I have cardio check up, stress tests, etc at that time.
:lol:   I'm eating one of those as I'm reading this.   Box from costco?  These things are incredible.   Would easily be a top 5 recommendation of mine.   I'm also a big fan of the eggs with salsa.   I do it with a side of black beans.   I like the use of the lettuce wraps.   I need to add those to the repertoire.  I'd do it with the costco chicken breast, red onion and mustard.  That's a nice protein bunch with little calories.   

Ended up going over calories and had to do some work tonight, was very close to giving up on the day but knew I'd have to report in here. Did a ladder workout on the treadmill- 5 min each at 8mph, 7,5, 7, 6, 3.5 with 12 percent incline and rowing - with 15 min at 3mph to warm up/cool down and watched some umbrella academy on Netflix. Ended up with 227 calories to spare, 200 of which are about to be a late night meatball with no ragrets.

For those of you who occasionally check in and are struggling, accountability is so important. 

Sort of at a plateau but I know I’m doing the right things. Kicking up the exercise. Just finished a 30 min Alex Touissant Peleton ride. The HIIT one he did with Carson Daly. He’s motivating. Good sweat. Sticking to routines. Egg beaters, turkey lettuce wraps, shrimp salad. Yesterday had Peruvian chicken with black beans for dinner. Salad for lunch.  I know how this works. Flat, flat, up a pound, down 3, down 1. Sticking with it. Haven’t had red wine since Christmas dinner. Longest break by far since COVID.  

Sunday went for a long walk with a HS buddy who I haven’t seen since COVID started - Saturday I had done work around the house including moving some heavy totes.  Somewhere in all this I tweaked my back and it’s hurting pretty bad.  So I’m no exercise for a few days while I get this better.  Diet is still pretty clean. 

Sunday went for a long walk with a HS buddy who I haven’t seen since COVID started - Saturday I had done work around the house including moving some heavy totes.  Somewhere in all this I tweaked my back and it’s hurting pretty bad.  So I’m no exercise for a few days while I get this better.  Diet is still pretty clean. 
Back pain is the worst. 

No exercise days are a good opportunity to see what your belly (and the scale) looks like when you put less food in. 

Yoga.

Back pain is the worst. 

No exercise days are a good opportunity to see what your belly (and the scale) looks like when you put less food in. 

Yoga.
It’s honestly hurting so bad that I can’t really do anything - sleep the last two nights has been painful.  Takes my breath away just to roll over.  Getting old sucks as I don’t even really know how I did it.  I’m going to try and walk on the treadmill at lunch if I can.

I just ordered up some of these. The reviews look pretty good, and for between 220-320 calories for the entire pint, we calorie counters can afford a splurge on occasion...

https://nicks.com/
https://www.stack.com/a/is-halo-top-ice-cream-actually-healthy#:~:text=One pint of chocolate Halo,calcium%2C 16% DV iron.

Halo top was the gold standard for healthy ice cream for a while but this stuff you linked might be even better calorie wise... would be interested in a comparison 

It’s honestly hurting so bad that I can’t really do anything - sleep the last two nights has been painful.  Takes my breath away just to roll over.  Getting old sucks as I don’t even really know how I did it.  I’m going to try and walk on the treadmill at lunch if I can.
Yeah just to be clear don't start doing yoga while you have back pain. But yoga has made a big difference for a lot of people who do get back pain, myself included. 

You're not getting old, you're losing muscle to atrophy and you have less flexibility, which leads to movements becoming more difficult, and sometimes means that, of the 100 muscles you need to walk down the stairs, 17 of them forgot that the other 83 weren't firing like they used to, and those 17 pushed full speed ahead while the others went slow and torqued your back. Or something like that. #### if I know. I am not a doctor. And this is not medical advice. In fact you should consult your doctor before beginning this or any diet or exercise program. But the point is that yoga strengthens those little muscles that suck and makes the other ones more flexible. It should be mandatory for middle aged men.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah just to be clear don't start doing yoga while you have back pain. But yoga has made a big difference for a lot of people who do get back pain, myself included. 

You're not getting old, you're losing muscle to atrophy and you have less flexibility, which leads to movements becoming more difficult, and sometimes means that, of the 100 muscles you need to walk down the stairs, 17 of them forgot that the other 83 weren't firing like they used to, and those 17 pushed full speed ahead while the others went slow and torqued your back. Or something like that. #### if I know. I am not a doctor. And this is not medical advice. In fact you should consult your doctor before beginning this or any diet or exercise program. But the point is that yoga strengthens those little muscles that suck and makes the other ones more flexible. It should be mandatory for middle aged men.
Since I'm home solo the next 3-4 days, might have to fire up some "yoga with Adrienne" late at night to get things rolling......I mean to get stretched out from work and sitting around all day.

Nah, you got it about right. I've always incorporated pilates/yoga concepts into my strength training work, but the last year has shown me that instead of a 3rd strength session per week I need to replace it with one of these.

Jan 1   274.4

Jan 12  262.4   - 12.0 lbs, 1627 cal (227 over goal), lift, 20 min jog

Jan 13  261.8   - 12.6 lbs, 1417 cal (17 over goal), no exercise

Jan 14  261.8   - 12.6 lbs, 1686 cal (286 over goal), lift, 20 min cycle

Jan 15  260.6    - 13.8 lbs, 1375, lift, 20 min jog

Jan 16 ?            - ? 1352 cal, no exercise

Jan 17               - ? 1432 cal, lift, 20 min cardio

Jan 18  260.0    - 14.4 lbs, 1385 cal, lift, 60 min cardio

Jan 19  258.2    - 16.2 lbs

Goal is to loss 8 lbs a months for 8 months.  This month I discounted the first 8 lbs so I'm right at goal.  If I have two consecutive days in the 257.x range, I'll up my daily calories to 2200 on any day I exercise.  

• Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Jan 18         205.9                -20.2                                          1390
  • Jan 19         205.0                -21.1
Yesterday was unusually low in calories for me.  Remember when we were talking about "when do the hunger pains go away"?  Last night at dinner (which is usually very light for me, lunch is my biggest meal) I was about halfway through it and just said I'm not hungry.  Now I could have easily finished it, but I felt full so just passed on the rest of it.  I'm quite sure there will be a bounce up tomorrow just from having more food in me, but it was good to say "I'm full" and back away.

Ended up going over calories and had to do some work tonight, was very close to giving up on the day but knew I'd have to report in here. Did a ladder workout on the treadmill- 5 min each at 8mph, 7,5, 7, 6, 3.5 with 12 percent incline and rowing - with 15 min at 3mph to warm up/cool down and watched some umbrella academy on Netflix. Ended up with 227 calories to spare, 200 of which are about to be a late night meatball with no ragrets.

For those of you who occasionally check in and are struggling, accountability is so important. 
Absolutely, you feel like you don't want to let others down, even if you are willing to let yourself down.  Keep it up!

I'm with ya.  The MRI on my shoulder got pushed from today to tomorrow.  They asked me how I hurt it, and I said I have no idea.  I'm just old (but not really old enough that random crap like that should happen at 47).

I'm with ya.  The MRI on my shoulder got pushed from today to tomorrow.  They asked me how I hurt it, and I said I have no idea.  I'm just old (but not really old enough that random crap like that should happen at 47).
Yeah - I'll be 47 in May.  It's odd - whatever it is hurts much worse when I'm laying down than sitting or standing and it's directly across my shoulder blades.  I think I'm feeling well enough to walk at lunch so that's promising at least.

Stay strong folks

• Day 14 no alcohol
  • Up at 430 AM and in the gym by 515 (major victory)
Going dry is a bit of a challenge at first but you get used to it quickly and it's mostly just annoying when you have big social plans. 

Getting up at 430 is brutal and you are a better man than I. I have a hard enough time starting work at 6am. 

Screw it, I'm hoping in with you guys.  I've yoyo'ed around 205 for the last few years.  Goal is 175.   8 or so years ago I made the commitment to running and working out and made a huge leap from about 250lbs to 185ish over about 12-18 months.  The 185 was short lived though.  Kid #2 came along and 210 became the new normal.   

Last week my weight was 205.  

Plan is to cut way back on the alcohol.  Maintain 3-4 days of running and adding 2 or 3 days of Hot Yoga in.  Wife and I joined one of those gyms a few months ago and I absolutely love it.  Getting there is a struggle. 

Over did it last night at wife's bday. I blame my lack of preparedness. Ah well. Back on it
To expound more.

I ate really well during the day. Was at about 600 calories.   Then I got a super bad sinus headache and my stomach was not doing well.  So I had 2 slices of pizza and instantly felt better.  I then nibbled and ended up finishing 2 more followed by a piece of icre cream cake lol.  That one I should have skipped. My first huge stumble since new years imo.  ;)

Users who are viewing this thread