What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's lose some weight in 2021. Back to the grind... who else is in? (1 Viewer)

Challenge:

I’m living out of a hotel for the next two weeks for work beginning Monday. This will be a challenge. But boy if I can not lose a step over those two weeks, I will be so well positioned. . 
20 bud selects and two pieces of pizza leaves you room for a snack

Also played golf today, cart path only.  Don't have a push cart so walking is a bit rough right now.

Also powered through a t25 total body workout.  

So I'm on week 3 of t25. I never do the double Friday.  So I should have done 15 workouts and did 11.   2 of those days I was somewhat active walking around during softball practices. 2 other days I was just too sore and stuff to really workout.  I knew I was not in the best shape to roll through t25 so that's ok.  I loathe doing these workouts anyway.  I'd rather go play ice hockey or just lift weights. Any type of cardioesque workout bores me. Will mix some yoga in also at some point. I enjoy doing it.
man of your stature needs this.  Life changing and makes you want to walk when playing golf.  Can't recommend enough.

https://www.costco.com/mgi-zip-navigator-at%2C-all-terrain-electric-golf-cart-bundle.product.100504700.html

Will look into that.  Thank you.   Is there a noticeable benefit to consume something like that on a daily basis that you're aware of?  For instance, a multi vitamin seems like a good thing to take, but I've read numerous times that they're really not necessary; aside from vitamin d, you should be getting everything else they offer from a well balanced diet.   
Whether you need a shake depends on two factors:

• Are you replacing a meal that otherwise would have had minimal value in terms of fiber/proteins/plants?
  • Are you struggling simply to get to a reasonable protein level with standard food during the day without eating more heavily processed stuff?
There are probably more reasons to go this route, but two eggs and some berries/nuts in the morning get you really far down the path of a packaged shake.   

tldr Always be looking to replace #### in your diet, for some moving to a shake like this represents and improvement.  Others not so much, doesn't mean they shouldn't be part of your plan.

Whether you need a shake depends on two factors:

• Are you replacing a meal that otherwise would have had minimal value in terms of fiber/proteins/plants?
  • Are you struggling simply to get to a reasonable protein level with standard food during the day without eating more heavily processed stuff?
There are probably more reasons to go this route, but two eggs and some berries/nuts in the morning get you really far down the path of a packaged shake.   

tldr Always be looking to replace #### in your diet, for some moving to a shake like this represents and improvement.  Others not so much, doesn't mean they shouldn't be part of your plan.
Neither.   I was thinking more in terms of this shake possibly containing something at more of the micro level (for lack of the correct term) that maybe my current diet that already contains lots of good proteins (mostly chicken and fish), leafy greens, other mixed veggies, potatoes, beans, blue berries, cottage cheese, eggs (to summarize what I generally eat).

I’m totally with this. In the past when I eat strictly during the week and let go on the weekend, I still manage to lose weight. That’s where I’d like to end up, living it up some on the weekend but staying very strict on calories until Friday night. 
I think I need to write the lazy FBG diet plan.  

Confession:

I went over last night with an extra glass of wine and way too many sweets.  But this won’t be a derailing moment as in the past. Right back on the horse today. It also occurred to me that I’m kind of depressed about it, because while I enjoyed my only other time over calories this month and had no guilt over it — delicious Mexican meal — this was just my old stupid habit of wine and sweets on the couch. None of it was very good and it made me wake up feeling kind of crappy.  So, next time I’d like to save the overage and ENJOY it with real actual food. 

Also, Realization:

It seems that I do far better when I eat breakfast and lunch. The days I have a turkey egg white sandwich for breakfast for a couple hundred calories, and a salad or real lunch, I’m not ravenously hungry at the end of the day and am much more in control. Those days feel easy and I feel satiated and good. The days like yesterday, when I skip breakfast and have a protein bar for lunch, I’m just starving and desperate to stuff my face and it’s so much harder.  That’s the way I’ve always tried to do it, and it seems to set me up for an impossible scenario at 8pm. No wonder I always fail. 

Going out today to pick up some more of those frozen low cal eggs sandwich things and stock the freezer.

We’re learning and improving. That’s all good. 

220 by 2/20

The next two weeks are the big challenge. Need to do well on the road. No reason I shouldn’t be right on the cusp of 220 when I get home. Let’s do this. 

Also, Realization:

It seems that I do far better when I eat breakfast and lunch. The days I have a turkey egg white sandwich for breakfast for a couple hundred calories, and a salad or real lunch, I’m not ravenously hungry at the end of the day and am much more in control. Those days feel easy and I feel satiated and good. The days like yesterday, when I skip breakfast and have a protein bar for lunch, I’m just starving and desperate to stuff my face and it’s so much harder.  That’s the way I’ve always tried to do it, and it seems to set me up for an impossible scenario at 8pm. No wonder I always fail. 

The next two weeks are the big challenge. Need to do well on the road. No reason I shouldn’t be right on the cusp of 220 when I get home. Let’s do this. 
I've learned the same thing about myself.   Cannot just skip breakfast and lunch.  I can have a small breakfast and a small lunch -- but skipping either one outright turns into a #### show by 7 or 8pm.   Now you know what works for you -- this self awareness stuff is a big deal.

Stay strong the next two weeks.  Have a clear plan.  Follow the plan.  Don't give yourself choices that boil down to willpower in the moment -- make your choices ahead of time, i.e., today or early in the morning.   We know that human willpower decreases as the day goes on ("decision fatigue").   When I hold myself to pre-determined rules, good things happen.  When I give myself the power of choice at 10pm, bad things happen.  

Yep, IF'ing and variations of can work but each person must figure out their own unique weakness.  Bad decisions are made when hangry, so the IF period needs to end at a time in which you're not likely to be hangry. I can skip breakfast then catch up at lunch so I don't make those bad decisions at night, but that is not necessarily the case for others. 

• Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Weekly Loss   |   Calories
  • Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 24         212.9                -13.2                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1523
  • NEW START DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS TO VALENTINES DAY
  • Dec 26         213.1               -13.0                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1510       
  • Jan 1           211.2                -14.9                  -1.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1983
  • Jan 8           210.3                -15.8                  -0.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1546
  • Jan 15         207.0                -19.1                  -3.3                  Avg daily calories during period: 1524
  • Jan 22         205.4                -20.7                  -1.6                  Avg daily calories during period: 1513
  • Jan 23         206.1                -20.0
Really disappointed with the last 2 days.  1.6 pound increase over the last 2 days and I don't have much to attribute to it.  I got a cortisone shot, so not sure if that makes you retain water.  I also haven't had a good poop in quite awhile so I guess that is part of it.

• Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Weekly Loss   |   Calories
  • Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 24         212.9                -13.2                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1523
  • NEW START DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS TO VALENTINES DAY
  • Dec 26         213.1               -13.0                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1510       
  • Jan 1           211.2                -14.9                  -1.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1983
  • Jan 8           210.3                -15.8                  -0.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1546
  • Jan 15         207.0                -19.1                  -3.3                  Avg daily calories during period: 1524
  • Jan 22         205.4                -20.7                  -1.6                  Avg daily calories during period: 1513
  • Jan 23         206.1                -20.0
Really disappointed with the last 2 days.  1.6 pound increase over the last 2 days and I don't have much to attribute to it.  I got a cortisone shot, so not sure if that makes you retain water.  I also haven't had a good poop in quite awhile so I guess that is part of it.
I’ve tried really hard not to overreact to any 1-2 day fluctuations.  There are just too many variables at play.   Stay focused on the process that has worked for you.

I’ve tried really hard not to overreact to any 1-2 day fluctuations.  There are just too many variables at play.   Stay focused on the process that has worked for you.
A 7day and 14day MA are much better to use.  And you need to have some level of self awareness of days to weigh in or not.  IF you didn't poop the day before, skip it.  Things like that.  

I wish I could count calories like you guys.  Its great to have that kind of discipline.  My issue with it is that I can have a great day of eating, do a little exercise and have 500 calories left.   Then I convince myself I can have a couple of IPA's or some ice cream.  It always bites me in the ### like that.  

I haven't been weighing myself regularly, but I'll start.  

Looking back at MFP reports....

Aug 2 - 212

Oct 6 - 206

Nov 16 - 206.1

Dec 13 - 204.4

Jan 13 - 204

Today....199.8! 

I haven't been in the 100's in 5+ years.  Good Feeling.  I hope I can keep trending this way.  I'm eating pretty clean and cut way back on booze since New Years. Back in November I started buying those Huel Drinks.  They taste pretty good and it does get boring to have one for lunch and breakfast, but it helps me.  Saves money and avoids over eating at those meals.  

This is the first time I have successfully avoided putting on 10 pounds over the Holidays.  That was a major hurdle.  
Have you tried the salted caramel? Im fixing to get an order together to help from 10am-2pm (400 cals). I've tried the vanilla in the past but gets boring fast. Thx

Going to go hard for 2 weeks before SuperBowl Sunday. Walking 18 holes tomorrow morning before the first game. Plenty of steps in. Still no red wine and sugar cravings gone now. 90 calorie Healthy Choice Fudge Bars aside. 

I have a question for those using MFP net calories. Does anyone else get calorie credit beyond their workouts? Before I changed to sedentary, I never got calorie credit for steps or an ‘adjustment’.

My Garmin watch is linked to MFP and uploads the workouts with calorie burn etc. (works great).

Recently I noticed that when I changed my status from active to sedentary it is now adding in calorie burn for the steps. The example below I did >17,000 actual steps for the entire day, so 159 seems accurate in addition to the two workouts.

Yesterday:

Walking workout: 403 calories

TM run/walk: 398 calories

Garmin Adjustment: 159 calories

Well of course when I posted my question, I finally found an explanation link. I am still curious on feedback from other MFP users who are linking their devices. Looking back, the adjustment feature only said NA on the days prior to changing my status to sedentary.

https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032623871-What-is-the-Calorie-Adjustment-in-my-Exercise-Diary-
I've got a Garmin too. For me, the Garmin app calculated an adjustment for steps and workouts, but only the workout calories transfer to MFP. I didn't do anything with settings so it's just the default for me. 

Thanksgiving to Christmas: 229.2 to 220.4.

New Years to Valentine's Day:

Jan 3: 220.0

Jan 9: 218.0
Jan 16: 216.2. 
Jan 24: 214.4. 

I've sort of plateaued around 214 the last couple of days. I was actually at 213.8 on W or Th morning, and have been below my calorie goal while also working out Th, F, and S. However, my weigh-in each day Th, F, and S was 214.2-214.6. These last few days my foods have been higher in sodium and lower on fiber, so I'm hoping that I'm just holding onto a little more water and waste. I guess that's the curse of the everyday weigh-in as the fluctuations don't necessary match the calories. But on the positive, the long-term trend is still in the right direction so I try to take the daily weigh-ins with a grain of salt.  

Valentines Day is still 3 weeks away, so I can still hit 210. I had been hoping to touch 210  (after a workout, so not a real weigh-in) by the end of Jan. I don't think that'll happen, but I can still get a real 210 by Valentine's Day. 

Jan 24: 214.4. 

I've sort of plateaued around 214 the last couple of days. I was actually at 213.8 on W or Th morning, and have been below my calorie goal while also working out Th, F, and S. However, my weigh-in each day Th, F, and S was 214.2-214.6. These last few days my foods have been higher in sodium and lower on fiber, so I'm hoping that I'm just holding onto a little more water and waste. I guess that's the curse of the everyday weigh-in as the fluctuations don't necessary match the calories. But on the positive, the long-term trend is still in the right direction so I try to take the daily weigh-ins with a grain of salt.  

Valentines Day is still 3 weeks away, so I can still hit 210. I had been hoping to touch 210  (after a workout, so not a real weigh-in) by the end of Jan. I don't think that'll happen, but I can still get a real 210 by Valentine's Day. 
There is little-to-no upside in daily weigh-in's. Pick a day and time each week in which your activities in the 24-36 hours prior are usually consistent one week to the next. 

I have a question for those using MFP net calories. Does anyone else get calorie credit beyond their workouts? Before I changed to sedentary, I never got calorie credit for steps or an ‘adjustment’.

My Garmin watch is linked to MFP and uploads the workouts with calorie burn etc. (works great).

Recently I noticed that when I changed my status from active to sedentary it is now adding in calorie burn for the steps. The example below I did >17,000 actual steps for the entire day, so 159 seems accurate in addition to the two workouts.

Yesterday:

Walking workout: 403 calories

TM run/walk: 398 calories

Garmin Adjustment: 159 calories
I don't do MFP, but depending on your lifestyle it's a good thing to monitor all active calories; not just workout calories. One day this past summer immediately comes to mind - I spent about 6-8 hours power washing amd other related activities before going down the street for evening BBQ and beers. Had I not checked my watch prior I'd have been unaware I burned almost 5,000 calories that day and would have been in a world of hurt the next morning. So rather than making up all those calories in BBQ and beer I mowed down an avocado, couple eggs, pineapple, and a healthy dose of nuts before heading over. 

There is little-to-no upside in daily weigh-in's. Pick a day and time each week in which your activities in the 24-36 hours prior are usually consistent one week to the next. 
I find value in the daily weigh in... but only in the fact that it makes me more aware of what I'm eating during the day. I know/ expect it to fluctuate a bit bit still find it helpful from an accountability standpoint. 

You always give good advice and i know a lot of people say this but I disagree with this a lot. 

There's plenty of value in daily weigh ins for people who don't understand how their weight fluctuates. 

How many people in here have mentioned that their weight was up after a salty meal the day before?  That's the kind of stuff you notice more when you're weighing in daily. 

When you weigh in every day and you've gone from averaging above maintenance calories  to averaging 1000 calories below maintenance, you're not going to poop as often and daily weigh ins shine a light on that. You also probably notice that drinking lots of water doesn't seem to add weight. 

You probably start to notice that you lose a little weight from 6am to 8am if you don't eat or drink anything. Or sometimes you weigh yourself, drink coffee, poop, and weigh in again and see your weight went up. Or goes down a bunch after a run, then comes back the next day. It takes time to really learn how your body reacts to diet and exercise. 

You can read all of that stuff and think you understand it but then you have people in here routinely saying I was so good the last couple days and my weight didn't go down. There's a difference between understanding the process and trusting the process. I am completely confident in my ability to predict my weight change over the next few months within a pound or two because I have learned what's normal for me, and understand when my TDEE/BMR estimates might be off because I'm not losing at the rate I expected. That's all stuff I've learned by weighing myself daily often several times in a day. 

The problem with daily weigh ins is that it's easy to get frustrated when the data doesn't show the results of your hard work. And I get that. But that doesn't mean you should get less data just to feel better. People can get away with weekly weigh ins, and probably even benefit once they understand this stuff, but i think it helps a ton to weigh yourself daily until you understand all this stuff. 

Not much is more valuable than data and information, but I think sustainability is. And there is such a thing as too much data and information. You're not wrong about the average person not understanding how their consumption habits influence their weight, but I think there are more effective ways to get that message across that are also sustainable. 

Once through the lose stage and into maintenance are you going to continue to weigh yourself every day? Not likely. Are you going to glean anything from it? Unless it changes, no. So during the lose stage focus on the data and information that you will continue to do so once in maintenance. I think these priorities vary person to person, but for overweight (not obese) subjects I don't think weight is usually one of them. Periodic weigh in's have value, but it isn't daily. 

Practice the habits now, so the transition in the next stage is seemless. 

Not much is more valuable than data and information, but I think sustainability is. And there is such a thing as too much data and information. You're not wrong about the average person not understanding how their consumption habits influence their weight, but I think there are more effective ways to get that message across that are also sustainable. 

Once through the lose stage and into maintenance are you going to continue to weigh yourself every day? Not likely. Are you going to glean anything from it? Unless it changes, no. So during the lose stage focus on the data and information that you will continue to do so once in maintenance. I think these priorities vary person to person, but for overweight (not obese) subjects I don't think weight is usually one of them. Periodic weigh in's have value, but it isn't daily. 

Agree with that.  

I agree with this.  At some point it isn’t helpful, informative or healthy to do a daily weigh in.  I’m moving now to 2x per week - Wed morning and Sun morning.  Eventually will probably just do Sun morning each week.

That said, it was really critical for me the first 6 weeks to do a daily weigh in, just like it was important for me to post my daily calories in this thread.  It’s a big part of staying accountable — which for me is the biggest challenge and opportunity....

Last edited by a moderator:
Bad news: my daughter wanted to make cookies and how can you tell a 3 year old no when she gives you those eyes?

Good news: I burned the first batch.

Better news:  I have some family members  cats in my driveway while they are in vacation. I'll be throwing most of the cookies in their cars, which buys me good will and gets these things out of here. 

Best news: I baked some cookies in a muffin pan instead of a baking sheet just because. So they are a little thicker than normal. Crispy on the outside, gooey in the middle. So much goodness. I ate three... Totally worth it.

A lot of people making progress in here which is awesome. For those of us who are about three weeks into this, you've probably stopped seeing those big drop offs each morning and have seen some days where the scale says you gained weight. That's normal and we just discussed the value of weighing infrequently vs weighing in frequently (which i prefer while we're learning). 

If you're planning on counting calories for a while, this is a good time to start tracking your calories and weight on a daily basis for a few consecutive weeks. It's best to start this once you've burnt off all of that water weight so if you just had a big cheat day or high sodium meal you might want to wait. You don't have to post your weigh ins in here but we're interested if you want to. 

If your calorie goal in myfitnesspal says 1600, set to sedentary and lose 2lbs per week like I do, tracking exercise calories, and you are eating 1600 on the nose every day without going over, you should be losing about 2lbs per week. It might not be exactly 2 from Monday morning to Monday morning, but it should be pretty close to 2 this week, 4 next week and 6 the week after. It won't be .3 lbs per day... you will see fluctuations...

I really prefer daily weigh ins for this so you can get a sense of what your "real" starting weight and current weight are. You might weigh in on Monday at 240.0, Tuesday at 240.4 and Wednesday at 239.8... we can say you started at 240.0. If you had weighed in for the first time on Tuesday you would be a half pound off.

The same thing might be true next week, when you see 238.4 on Monday, 238.0 on Tuesday and 238.2 on Wednesday. If you'd weighed yourself once a week you would see a drop of 2, or 2.4, or 1.6, depending on which day you'd picked, but it really looks like you're about 238 or 238.2  to me. If you go out another week or two the numbers will get easier to interpret. 

If you aren't losing as much as you think you should be, or are losing more than 2lbs per week consistently, you might want to adjust your calorie goal slightly. Even the people using fitbits or other devices might not be getting it right. Your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) isn't an exact number but it's usually a pretty good estimate. Maybe yours is wrong because you have a lot of NEAT (non exercise activity). Maybe you're over or under counting calories burned during exercise. Maybe you've been forgetting to log the oil you used when you made that 10 oz chicken breast that you called 8 oz. This is your report card.  

If you want help figuring out why you're not losing weight at the rate you think you should, feel free to post it in the thread and we can discuss. I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice. Consult your doctor before beginning this or any diet or exercise program. But we can look. 

Keep up the good work everyone and for those of you thinking about getting back into this, the more the merrier. 

Been sitting at 214 for a couple of weeks now.  Guess it's time to change a few things up in the routine to hit 205 by Valentine's Day.  Probably begin adding a few miles on the bike each day.  Also looking at a Pull-up/Dip/Knee Raise daily program.  I can't do a pull-up to save my life, so maybe doing this will help bring up a little more confidence in my routine.  Sometimes mind-set is the biggest obstacle.

Peak said:
Been sitting at 214 for a couple of weeks now.  Guess it's time to change a few things up in the routine to hit 205 by Valentine's Day.  Probably begin adding a few miles on the bike each day.  Also looking at a Pull-up/Dip/Knee Raise daily program.  I can't do a pull-up to save my life, so maybe doing this will help bring up a little more confidence in my routine.  Sometimes mind-set is the biggest obstacle.
I'm working towards my first pull up and there's a recommended progression to get there at r/bodyweightfitness 

https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/exercises/pullup.compact

I'm doing my bent over rows and other pull exercises, and I'm doing these assisted with a dip bar right now, pulling myself up like an upside down pushup, but buying a pull up bar soon and will begin with the scapula pulls. 

I've also heard people suggest assisted pull ups while you work your way up to your first.  Either do a pull up with your feet on a chair or other support, or do one with a resistance band from the bar to your feet. I'm pretty sure I would spend the whole time worried that I'd snap that band into my face so the chair thing makes more sense to me.

Had my first real cheat meal yesterday and I made it worth my while.  Onion rings and cheese curd appetizer, full plate of nachos and an IPA.  I felt a little sick afterwards - I'm not at an age where I can't eat like that but obviously I don't want to frequently.  Still down a little over 10 pounds and I'm assuming I'll be down another 1-2 after I flush out my system the next two days.

I don't think I'll hit my <200 goal by end of month but again, I'm not in any hurry.  If it takes me the rest of 2021 to get where I want I'm ok with that.  I need consistency that sticks.

One thing that is helping or will help me this time around is that my wife is on board and we are doing this together.  That's frequently not been the case in the past - for various reasons.  I think most people would agree that it makes things very challenging when spouses/SOs are on different pages. 

Stayed under my calories the last few days and still no booze.  Less than two weeks until the Super Bowl and some booze (in moderation).

Scale was a little up this morning, but we had Chipotle last night and that stuff has a TON of sodium.  I plan to flush all the salt (and ####) today so maybe tomorrow will show better on the scale.

Users who are viewing this thread