What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lions Sign Another WR (1 Viewer)

wannabee

Footballguy
Lions Sign Former Rams Wide Receiver Furrey

ALLEN PARK, Mich. (April 4) - The Detroit Lions signed receiver-turned-defensive back Mike Furrey to a one-year contract Tuesday.

Former St. Louis Rams coach Mike Martz, now Detroit's offensive coordinator, persuaded Furrey to make the move from receiver to safety last year. Furrey started 11 games at safety in 2005, leading the Rams with four interceptions, including one he returned for a 67-yard touchdown. He also made 55 tackles.

The Lions listed Furrey was a wide receiver.

As a rookie in 2003, the Northern Iowa product and former Arena Football League star made 20 receptions for 189 yards in 13 games. Furrey caught only one pass in eight games two years ago.

04/04/06 19:22 EDT

Weird that he's listed at receiver when he was a starter at safety for last season. You'd think he could push Terrence Holt for his job.

Of course, if the Lions have any intention of drafting Michael Huff, which is currently the trendy pick in every mock, they'd be beyond set at safety with Huff, Kenoy Kennedy and Holt as the backup.

So maybe Furrey will be a receiver. As sad as it is to say for a team that has spent 3 straight top picks on WR, the spot across from Roy Williams looks wide open.

mike furrey impressed me a lot last season. every team needs some players that are willing to do whatever it takes to win...furrey is one of those guys

:football:

I'm just reading between the lines here, but Furrey is also a good special teamer. He obviously played FS last year with the Rams, and from what I saw of him, he played pretty well all things considered. My impression was that he played physically and seemed to transition well.

That being said, the Lions lost Wali Rainer via free agency. He didn't mean much to the defense, but Rainer is a solid special teamer and (IIRC) was one of the team's top tacklers on coverage units. Maybe Furrey is the kind of guy, given his familiarity with Martz, that could provide quality depth at WR, safety and provide good special teams coverage.

I'm still kinda surprised they shelled out the kind of money they did for Eddie Drummond. He didn't perform well last year and was smitten by injuries. He doesn't really play much WR, so they would've been MUCH better off (IMO) re-signing R.W. McQuarters and let him provide depth while also maintaining a quality return guy. The net effect is saving a roster space (and plenty of money) on a dedicated return guy who offers nothing else.

I don't think Bradford offers much, if anything, on special teams either.

We'll see.. Furrey should stick with the team though, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him on special teams and sub wherever needed.

And with the 9th pick in the 2006 nfl draft, the Detroit Lions select WR from the University of Florida, Chad Jackson :excited: :wall: :excited: :excited: :wall:

Weird that he's listed at receiver when he was a starter at safety for last season.
It's in a player's best interests to be listed at the most valuable position possible. Receivers get paid more than safeties.

Weird that he's listed at receiver when he was a starter at safety for last season.
It's in a player's best interests to be listed at the most valuable position possible. Receivers get paid more than safeties.
Do backup WR's make more than starting safeties?

For most players, it won't matter. Your value is your value. But ask Tony Gonzalez if he would like to have been listed as a WR when he was franchised a couple years ago.

(insert Randle-El joke here.)
Well, Furrey seems as flexible, plays two positions and special teams :mellow: A good signing IMO.

Had this guy in an Arena Fantasy league a few years back, he was on the NY dragons and dominated the league, had like 40+ TDs

marielli is supposedly the type of guy who does not care about your contract or wher you were drafted, he plays the guys who bring it on Sunday.

It would be funny if an AFL guy comes in and shows up the Williams girls and Rogers. Would not surprise, Vines did it last year!

And with the 9th pick in the 2006 nfl draft, the Detroit Lions select WR from the University of Florida, Chad Jackson  :excited:   :wall:   :excited:   :excited:   :wall:
HHAHAHAHAHA if that happens I will die laughing. Hell whoever they draft he should pull an Eli on them and refuse to play and ask to be traded.

Last edited by a moderator:
Odd he was just released from his arena league team

NEW YORK DRAGONS-Waived WR-DB Mike Furrey

Odd he was just released from his arena league team

NEW YORK DRAGONS-Waived WR-DB Mike Furrey
There goes my season.Edit: If anyone wants Tony Graziani, send me a PM.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah but since they both have Gene as the head of their union is their some sorta deal between leagues?

How could he sign with the Lions and yet still be on an arena team?

Users who are viewing this thread