What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Michael Turner vs 08 RB Class (1 Viewer)

treat88

Footballguy
Completely hypothetical quetion here, but....

If Turner was in the 08 class where would he rank?

My guess

1. McFadden

2. Turner

3. Stewart

4. Mendenhall

5. Slaton

What do ya'll think?

Edit: Completely forgot about Stewart. Put him at #3.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say RB3 or RB4. I think teams would probably take McFadden and Stewart before him. Teams wanting more versatility and speed would probably also prefer Mendenhall to Turner.

I think he'd probably go ahead of Slaton. I don't think the NFL is as high on Steve Slaton as conventional wisdom might lead you to believe.

My guess

1. McFadden

2. Turner

3. Mendenhall

4. Slaton

What do ya'll think?
1) Darren McFadden2) Steve Slaton

3) Michael Turner - Current NFL RB of course

4) Jonathan Stewart

5) Rashard Mendenhall

6) Felix Jones

7) Tashard Choice

8) Ray Rice

9) Chris Johnson

10) Mike Hart

11) Jamaal Charles

12) Allen Patrick

13) James Davis

14) Ryan Torain

15) Rafael Little

Edit to update my ranking

My guess

1. McFadden

2. Turner

3. Mendenhall

4. Slaton

What do ya'll think?

4) Jonathan Stewart

5) Rashard Mendenhall

6) Felix Jones

7) Tashard Choice

8) Ray Rice

9) Chris Johnson

10) Mike Hart

11) Jamaal Charles

12) Allen Patrick

13) James Davis

14) Ryan Torain

15) Rafael Little

Hart @ 10 seems very low to me. I'd have him ahead of Jones. Can't argue much with the rest, although I'd think Stew would be ahead of Slaton.

My guess

1. McFadden

2. Turner

3. Mendenhall

4. Slaton

What do ya'll think?

4) Jonathan Stewart

5) Rashard Mendenhall

6) Felix Jones

7) Tashard Choice

8) Ray Rice

9) Chris Johnson

10) Mike Hart

11) Jamaal Charles

12) Allen Patrick

13) James Davis

14) Ryan Torain

15) Rafael Little

Hart @ 10 seems very low to me. I'd have him ahead of Jones. Can't argue much with the rest, although I'd think Stew would be ahead of Slaton.
Until a Michigan RB does something I'll keep ranking them low. As far as Stewart over Slaton, I had a hard time deciding who I like best. I guess I'll go with Slaton because I liked him best first. Stewart is a Jerome Bettis clone, which isn't bad, but I prefer the more dynamic player in Slaton.

I know I haven't been paying enough attention to college but what happened to Rice? He hasn't been lighting people up as much this year but he still but on a show against a solid South Florida defense and the only one to have had done that. I guess I'm just suprised he's so low.

My guess

1. McFadden

2. Turner

3. Mendenhall

4. Slaton

What do ya'll think?

4) Jonathan Stewart

5) Rashard Mendenhall

6) Felix Jones

7) Tashard Choice

8) Ray Rice

9) Chris Johnson

10) Mike Hart

11) Jamaal Charles

12) Allen Patrick

13) James Davis

14) Ryan Torain

15) Rafael Little

Until a Michigan RB does something I'll keep ranking them low. As far as Stewart over Slaton, I had a hard time deciding who I like best. I guess I'll go with Slaton because I liked him best first. Stewart is a Jerome Bettis clone, which isn't bad, but I prefer the more dynamic player in Slaton.
Sounds a lot like the critics of Braylon Edwards.

My guess

1. McFadden

2. Turner

3. Mendenhall

4. Slaton

What do ya'll think?

4) Jonathan Stewart

5) Rashard Mendenhall

6) Felix Jones

7) Tashard Choice

8) Ray Rice

9) Chris Johnson

10) Mike Hart

11) Jamaal Charles

12) Allen Patrick

13) James Davis

14) Ryan Torain

15) Rafael Little

And the critics of Drew Henson. Oh wait.....

My guess

1. McFadden

2. Turner

3. Mendenhall

4. Slaton

What do ya'll think?

4) Jonathan Stewart

5) Rashard Mendenhall

6) Felix Jones

7) Tashard Choice

8) Ray Rice

9) Chris Johnson

10) Mike Hart

11) Jamaal Charles

12) Allen Patrick

13) James Davis

14) Ryan Torain

15) Rafael Little

Larry Johnson got the same rap coming from Penn State. That said I'm not big on Hart either, and its mostly just gut feeling at the moment.

I haven't really even heard options on where Turner could end up...My personal feeling is that other than McFadden, a team would jump on Turner.

In a short amount of time, Turner has shown he can run in the NFL...the others we have no idea about. There have been many top round RB busts and not to suggest that MT is a sure thing on another team, but I'd be more convinced than some of the guys mentioned in this thread.

anyhow, any ideas on where Turner may land? Tampa, NYGiants, Carolina, Denver :nerd:

I haven't really even heard options on where Turner could end up...My personal feeling is that other than McFadden, a team would jump on Turner.In a short amount of time, Turner has shown he can run in the NFL...the others we have no idea about. There have been many top round RB busts and not to suggest that MT is a sure thing on another team, but I'd be more convinced than some of the guys mentioned in this thread.anyhow, any ideas on where Turner may land? Tampa, NYGiants, Carolina, Denver :football:
Turner, who I absolutely think is going to make a great starting RB costs more than a rookie RB will. This can be seen as a positive or a negative. I think it is a good thing if you are a Turner owner as he will go to the highest bidder and will instantly be RB 1 on the depth chart to start the 2008 season.

Turner, who I absolutely think is going to make a great starting RB costs more than a rookie RB will. This can be seen as a positive or a negative. I think it is a good thing if you are a Turner owner as he will go to the highest bidder and will instantly be RB 1 on the depth chart to start the 2008 season.
I see the money angle...but I would rather spend a little more money and have some piece of mind in my product than roll the dice.I've been holding him on my roster all year and plan on using him as one of my 2 keepers next year...just crossing my fingers that he goes somewhere that he can produce.

From a dynasty fantasy football perspective, i would prefer Mcfadden, Jones, Stewart, Mendenhall, Rice and/or any RB from this class that goes in the first two rounds with a shot to start. Turner has decent skills, but he will 26.5 years old when the season starts, and i'm not sold on the fact that he will be the mega-stud some have labeled him as. Of course pending who goes where, things could change.

I know I haven't been paying enough attention to college but what happened to Rice? He hasn't been lighting people up as much this year but he still but on a show against a solid South Florida defense and the only one to have had done that. I guess I'm just suprised he's so low.
I think he's a guy who could slip a little bit in the draft because he's smallish and he probably won't have great pre-draft workouts. I see him as more of a 2nd-3rd round prospect at this point.

I haven't really even heard options on where Turner could end up...My personal feeling is that other than McFadden, a team would jump on Turner.In a short amount of time, Turner has shown he can run in the NFL...the others we have no idea about. There have been many top round RB busts and not to suggest that MT is a sure thing on another team, but I'd be more convinced than some of the guys mentioned in this thread.anyhow, any ideas on where Turner may land? Tampa, NYGiants, Carolina, Denver :lmao:
I see Cleveland going after Burner. They have no first round pick. Jamal has a one year deal. They could focus their draft on O-line and Defense. Makes too much sense.

I haven't really even heard options on where Turner could end up...My personal feeling is that other than McFadden, a team would jump on Turner.In a short amount of time, Turner has shown he can run in the NFL...the others we have no idea about. There have been many top round RB busts and not to suggest that MT is a sure thing on another team, but I'd be more convinced than some of the guys mentioned in this thread.anyhow, any ideas on where Turner may land? Tampa, NYGiants, Carolina, Denver :excited:
I see Cleveland going after Burner. They have no first round pick. Jamal has a one year deal. They could focus their draft on O-line and Defense. Makes too much sense.
Agreed...I could see that.It wouldn't be a bad thing, that passing game has been solid this year and the o-line has played pretty well.I'm guessing Quinn will be the guy next year and Anderson will be out the door...but Winslow and Edwards can keep DEF honest.

I think Cleveland might take Stewart in round one if he's available at their pick. He'll remind Savage of Jamal Lewis and give the team a young power back to shoulder its ground game. Seems like a very good fit.

I think Cleveland might take Stewart in round one if he's available at their pick. He'll remind Savage of Jamal Lewis and give the team a young power back to shoulder its ground game. Seems like a very good fit.
Cleveland does not have a 1st. They have Brady Quinn.

My guess

1. McFadden

2. Turner

3. Mendenhall

4. Slaton

What do ya'll think?

4) Jonathan Stewart

5) Rashard Mendenhall

6) Felix Jones

7) Tashard Choice

8) Ray Rice

9) Chris Johnson

10) Mike Hart

11) Jamaal Charles

12) Allen Patrick

13) James Davis

14) Ryan Torain

15) Rafael Little

You meant Chris Perry, right?

My guess

1. McFadden

2. Turner

3. Mendenhall

4. Slaton

What do ya'll think?

4) Jonathan Stewart

5) Rashard Mendenhall

6) Felix Jones

7) Tashard Choice

8) Ray Rice

9) Chris Johnson

10) Mike Hart

11) Jamaal Charles

12) Allen Patrick

13) James Davis

14) Ryan Torain

15) Rafael Little

Stewart is no Jerome Bettis clone. He is really, really fast. He is on the Oregon track team.

I haven't really even heard options on where Turner could end up...My personal feeling is that other than McFadden, a team would jump on Turner.

In a short amount of time, Turner has shown he can run in the NFL...the others we have no idea about. There have been many top round RB busts and not to suggest that MT is a sure thing on another team, but I'd be more convinced than some of the guys mentioned in this thread.

anyhow, any ideas on where Turner may land? Tampa, NYGiants, Carolina, Denver ;)
Cleveland does not have a 1st. They have Brady Quinn.
:bag:
More like you -> :D <- Me

:lmao:
:goodposting:

I haven't really even heard options on where Turner could end up...My personal feeling is that other than McFadden, a team would jump on Turner.In a short amount of time, Turner has shown he can run in the NFL...the others we have no idea about. There have been many top round RB busts and not to suggest that MT is a sure thing on another team, but I'd be more convinced than some of the guys mentioned in this thread.anyhow, any ideas on where Turner may land? Tampa, NYGiants, Carolina, Denver :shock:
Green Bay :thumbup: Thompson didn't want to give up picks AND pay Turner. He also obviously doesn't make big splashes in Free Agency, but has stated he will when he thinks they are close. As evidence of the progress they are already making THIS year, I think he WILL make that splash next year.

My guess

1. McFadden

2. Turner

3. Mendenhall

4. Slaton

What do ya'll think?

4) Jonathan Stewart

5) Rashard Mendenhall

6) Felix Jones

7) Tashard Choice

8) Ray Rice

9) Chris Johnson

10) Mike Hart

11) Jamaal Charles

12) Allen Patrick

13) James Davis

14) Ryan Torain

15) Rafael Little

Stewart is no Jerome Bettis clone. He is really, really fast. He is on the Oregon track team.
Sorry, but a 250 lb rb who has nimble feet reminds me of Jerome Bettis.

I see the money angle...but I would rather spend a little more money and have some piece of mind in my product than roll the dice.I've been holding him on my roster all year and plan on using him as one of my 2 keepers next year...just crossing my fingers that he goes somewhere that he can produce.
It will be interesting to see where Turner lands and for how much.Don't discount the money angle though. Lamont Jordan got $27.5M and Turner will be getting his contract 3 years and a new salary cap later. I can't imagine him signing for anything less than the mid-30's. That's a heck of a lot more than any RB taken outside the top 10 in the nfl draft.The counterpoint though is Chestor Taylor's $14M contract signed what will be 2 years before Turners. Surely Turner will command way more than Taylor did though?

My guess

1. McFadden

2. Turner

3. Mendenhall

4. Slaton

What do ya'll think?

4) Jonathan Stewart

5) Rashard Mendenhall

6) Felix Jones

7) Tashard Choice

8) Ray Rice

9) Chris Johnson

10) Mike Hart

11) Jamaal Charles

12) Allen Patrick

13) James Davis

14) Ryan Torain

15) Rafael Little

And the critics of Drew Henson. Oh wait.....
uh, no. Not even close. Chris Perry is fair game.

I haven't really even heard options on where Turner could end up...My personal feeling is that other than McFadden, a team would jump on Turner.In a short amount of time, Turner has shown he can run in the NFL...the others we have no idea about. There have been many top round RB busts and not to suggest that MT is a sure thing on another team, but I'd be more convinced than some of the guys mentioned in this thread.anyhow, any ideas on where Turner may land? Tampa, NYGiants, Carolina, Denver :shock:
I agree that Cleveland seems like a good spot, but I would seriously be surprised if they spent 1 draft pick on a offensive lineman. D-line definitely, but not O-line

My guess

1. McFadden

2. Turner

3. Mendenhall

4. Slaton

What do ya'll think?

4) Jonathan Stewart

5) Rashard Mendenhall

6) Felix Jones

7) Tashard Choice

8) Ray Rice

9) Chris Johnson

10) Mike Hart

11) Jamaal Charles

12) Allen Patrick

13) James Davis

14) Ryan Torain

15) Rafael Little

I think he is closer to 230 than 250. He is tough to get a read on, as he is still only 20 years old. I think the comparisons made later in the thread- to Lewis and Anderson are a bit better, with a little of Steven Jackson (not height, but style) mixed in. I like him a lot, but he definitely benefits from playing alongside Dixon- who D's have to account for as well. I think his game translates very well to next level- if he can stay healthy.He is adjusting to now occasionally avoiding tacklers, rather than just attack them as he did in high school and his first years in college. I think he has as good a chance as any rb to be a superstar.

Mike Hart, at 5'9 196 (http://www.mikehartonline.com/) i fear his size will be a major detractor.

Some may point to Portis, but at 5'11 195-205 when drafted he is closer to being a more suitable size. CBS has him listed at 223lbs now, maybe thats why he isnt burning it up??

And wasnt former Mich RB Anthony Thomas rookie of the year? He got screwed in Chi. I see Hart dropping and not being the impact everyone wants.

Steve Slaton at least has been listed at 5'10 195 (ESPN), adding 5 to 10 lbs will put him in portis range when he was drafted.

As for Turner, Cleveland, GB (depending on ryan grant the rest of the year) or Atl could all be good spots. A combo with him and Norwood in ATL might not be happy for Fantasy owners but would seem to be a good fit.

Teams in need:

CLE: jamal is running out

HOUSTON: a green is done, dayne is worthless, Echimando couldnt win a job in cle or oak

GB: Ryan Grant could be something, they like jackson and wynn it seems, but maybe?

ATL: Dunn is done, norwood doesnt seem to be one to carry a full load, could fit

TB: no more caddy?

Ariz: successor to Edge?

Chi: If they tire of Bensen

Dal: dont seem to want MBIII to be a full time guy and JJ seems to be getting shafted?

Sea: part ways with Alexander? or is his contract to big?

NO: Can Deuce come back? Can Bush be the dynamic player carrying it full time?

Den: Always a player in the RB market (DAMN THEM)

Actually, Rice HAS been lighting people up this year. His stats for this year project out to be almost identical to last year (over 1700 yards and 20 TDs). In fact, he is 4th in the nation in rushing yards. On top of that, his receiving stats are much improved since last year. He has been an absolute stud.And to the people who say he is small, he is actually bigger than Slaton (by like 15-20 lbs). The reason he will be overlooked by some NFL teams is that he doesn't have top notch speed. But he does have top notch vision, quickness, and strength. He is one tough SOB to take down on initial contact. Whichever team drafts him, will be getting a very good RB.

Mike Hart, at 5'9 196 (http://www.mikehartonline.com/) i fear his size will be a major detractor.

Some may point to Portis, but at 5'11 195-205 when drafted he is closer to being a more suitable size. CBS has him listed at 223lbs now, maybe thats why he isnt burning it up??

And wasnt former Mich RB Anthony Thomas rookie of the year? He got screwed in Chi. I see Hart dropping and not being the impact everyone wants.

Steve Slaton at least has been listed at 5'10 195 (ESPN), adding 5 to 10 lbs will put him in portis range when he was drafted.

As for Turner, Cleveland, GB (depending on ryan grant the rest of the year) or Atl could all be good spots. A combo with him and Norwood in ATL might not be happy for Fantasy owners but would seem to be a good fit.

Teams in need:

CLE: jamal is running out - I agree

HOUSTON: a green is done, dayne is worthless, Echimando couldnt win a job in cle or oak - I agree

GB: Ryan Grant could be something, they like jackson and wynn it seems, but maybe? - I agree

ATL: Dunn is done, norwood doesnt seem to be one to carry a full load, could fit - You couldn't be more wrong about Norwood

TB: no more caddy? - Always a possibility

Ariz: successor to Edge? - good call

Chi: If they tire of Bensen - Egos will get in the way

Dal: dont seem to want MBIII to be a full time guy and JJ seems to be getting shafted? - No way

Sea: part ways with Alexander? or is his contract to big? - They need an OL, not a RB

NO: Can Deuce come back? Can Bush be the dynamic player carrying it full time? - Good fit

Den: Always a player in the RB market (DAMN THEM) - Shanahan likes to prove how smart he is with little know RBs, and he doesn't like to give up much for RBs, so Turner won't go to Denver

wow, pretty thin if you need to hold onto Turner as 1 of only 2 keepers.... but I digress. What makes us think Turner doesn't get franchised?

Heck, SD turned down a 1st rd pick from TENN last year so this guy could keep the bench warm. But lets give up a 2nd rounder mid season for a WR. Brilliant.

Okay first of all you know NOTHING about Jonathan Stewart if you compare him to Jerome Bettis. Stewart won the Washington 100m dash at state. He is one of the fastest players in the country. Stewart is also about 230 lbs. Get a clue.

wow, pretty thin if you need to hold onto Turner as 1 of only 2 keepers.... but I digress. What makes us think Turner doesn't get franchised?

Heck, SD turned down a 1st rd pick from TENN last year so this guy could keep the bench warm. But lets give up a 2nd rounder mid season for a WR. Brilliant.
Because I doubt SD feels they should pay 2 RBs top pay (Franchise players are offered the average of the top five players at their position). I'm sure they have other ways to spend their money.

Would teams consider signing Turner and keeping their pick for another player? Everyone should have a good idea of what Turner can bring - sounds like a viable option to me....

Because I doubt SD feels they should pay 2 RBs top pay (Franchise players are offered the average of the top five players at their position). I'm sure they have other ways to spend their money.
I still think they were foolish to not take the draft pick for him last year. Is Turner really going to make that much of an impact this year?Imagine if they took the draft pick for Turner, drafted the best WR on the board in TENN's spot... Dwayne Bowe, then they use their own pick on a needed LB like Poslusney instead of reaching for an average WR, then they don't need a panic trade midseason for Chambers.

Turner, Davis and Chambers..... or Bowe, Poslusney, and their 2008 2nd

They blew it. Now in '08 it turns into a pumkin:

Davis and Chambers...... coulda had Bowe, Pos and a 2nd

I still think they were foolish to not take the draft pick for him last year. Is Turner really going to make that much of an impact this year?Imagine if they took the draft pick for Turner, drafted the best WR on the board in TENN's spot... Dwayne Bowe, then they use their own pick on a needed LB like Poslusney instead of reaching for an average WR, then they don't need a panic trade midseason for Chambers.

Turner, Davis and Chambers..... or Bowe, Poslusney, and their 2008 2nd

They blew it. Now in '08 it turns into a pumkin:

Davis and Chambers...... coulda had Bowe, Pos and a 2nd
Woulda coulda shoulda.You can go back and look at any team's draft in any year and second guess their picks.

San Diego is a Super Bowl contender right now. Turner is a valuable asset who could shoulder the load in the event of an injury to the starting RB. Since starting RBs get hurt pretty often in the NFL, I don't think it's ridiculous to put a premium on a competent backup. The season isn't over. Maybe LT will shred his knee in week 13 and Turner will lead the Chargers to a title. Unlikely, but if you're going to emphasize the downside of keeping Turner then you also have to acknowledge the upside.

Users who are viewing this thread