What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Michael Vick - Starting QB for the Eagles? (1 Viewer)

Will Vick Be starting for the Eagles week 1

• Will be starting for the Eagles week 1

Votes: 82 69.5%
  • Will be on the roster week 1 but benched for Foles

Votes: 13 11.0%
  • Gets cut and goes to another team

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • Gets Traded

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters

KellysHeroes

Footballguy
Almost every update about Vick lately is him not doing too good and that he might be a cap casualty. And wheres there smoke theres fire. So I made a poll to see what the shark pool feeling is about his future this pre-season, really only concerned with his status up to week 1.

I think that there are only two alternatives really. Either he starts week 1 or he is cut. No reason to have him as a backup.

i voted for gets cut. If this does happen, my question would be who would sign him? Not sure any team would want him as a backup so he may just have to wait and see if someone gets injured.

i voted for gets cut. If this does happen, my question would be who would sign him? Not sure any team would want him as a backup so he may just have to wait and see if someone gets injured.
I was thinking the samething, i could see Raiders trying to trade Flynn to the eagles for him.

I could see the Jets outright cutting Sanchez for Vick.

Buf should also throw their hat in too if he hit the market.

Jags could use him over Gabbert & Henne

Or a surprise team like Tampa, Cle or Min could give up on their 1st round projects for him

I would mind Vick as a backup in a leage where Matt Leinart is. but i say he gtscut.

Last edited by a moderator:
Although I have absolutely no clue what will happen at this point and it'll be at least two preseason games before the picture becomes more clearer I am going go with him starting and staying with the Eagles. But if he doesn't outright win it then he is gone.,

Surprised that this is running 70/30 in favor of Foles, but I think that's about right. Vick's not out of it, but he's an underdog at this point.

I would be more confident in Foles starting if the backup / plan B wasn't a rookie. If they announce Dixon will be backup while Barkley is developing then I think we'll be seeing Vick elsewhere this year as Philly moves on.

CSN Philly's Reuben Frank believes Nick Foles is the "best guy' for the Eagles" quarterback job.
Between Frank and colleague Geoff Mosher, CSN Philly has been pushing Foles as the Eagles' quarterback extremely hard, almost to the point of agenda. Or perhaps they have inside information and are getting on the record ahead of time. Either way, both reporters seem fairly certain it will be Foles, and not Michael Vick, under center come Week 1. Coach Chip Kelly has hinted he won't make a decision until deep into camp.

CSN Philly's Reuben Frank believes Nick Foles is the "best guy' for the Eagles" quarterback job.
Between Frank and colleague Geoff Mosher, CSN Philly has been pushing predicting Foles as the Eagles' quarterback extremely hard, almost to the point of agenda. Or perhaps they have inside information and are getting on the record ahead of time follow the team everyday and talk with people who matter. Either way, both reporters seem fairly certain it will be Foles, and not Michael Vick, under center come Week 1. Coach Chip Kelly has hinted he won't make a decision until deep into camp.
Fixed

Bigboy10182000 said:
Between Frank and colleague Geoff Mosher, CSN Philly has been pushing predicting Foles as the Eagles' quarterback extremely hard, almost to the point of agenda. Or perhaps they have inside information and are getting on the record ahead of time follow the team everyday and talk with people who matter. Either way, both reporters seem fairly certain it will be Foles, and not Michael Vick, under center come Week 1. Coach Chip Kelly has hinted he won't make a decision until deep into camp.
Fixed
yeah I'm not sure what Rotoworld's agenda is but they have serious love for Vick and refuse to admit that at best it's 50/50 he is even on the team come Sept 1st

Who knows but I'm guessing the game plan is to rely on the experienced QB to get the program started. If all goes well, then fine. If not then go to Foles. In the end though next year it will be Foles and Barkley, and Vick will be gone.

Who knows but I'm guessing the game plan is to rely on the experienced QB to get the program started. If all goes well, then fine. If not then go to Foles. In the end though next year it will be Foles and Barkley, and Vick will be gone.
that would be the smart thing since they already paid him, but strangers have happened in the NFL

that would be the smart thing since they already paid him, but strangers have happened in the NFL
That they paid him surprised me but they will owe him almost double that if they keep him

With Vick set to be paid $3.5mil if he's on the roster after week 1, he's going have to show definitively that he is the #1 qb. I believe if its 50/50 in camp then he will be gone. Foles is younger and cheaper and makes much more sense in a transition year.

Whats the upside of vick? He plays well and gets the offense competitive but due to our defense we lose anyway. Is vick still here next year if he plays well? I doubt it. So the odds are stacked against him to be the starter for the eagles but someone in this league will pick him up with a chance to start.

Michael Vick starting for the Eagles? We may not know until September 9th.
“We’re going to have to name a starter at some point in time. That’s why I think it would be unfair right now because there hasn’t been enough situations to evaluate. If someone said ‘Hey, we have to play a game tomorrow, we have to make a decision.’ But we don’t have to play a game tomorrow. We have until September 9, so we’ll see how it works itself out. But as I’ve said before with a big decision like that, you want to make sure you take the whole body of work into consideration. If in practice three they have a [bad] practice, do they come back in practice four and bounce back pretty good? Or have you made your decision after practice three? We’re not forced to make a decision soon, and I don’t think the positives of making an early decision outweigh making sure we make the right decision.” -Chip Kelly

Five thoughts on the Eagles' QB situation

Is there any chance that Kelly tries to get as cute as the Bills' coach (Jauron?) did when Buffalo had Johnson and Flutie? I remember a starter wasn't named until about 12:50 one of those years.

The other question I have is that regardless of who ends up with the job, would you want them? What's the ceiling for Foles and/or Vick this year even if one of them ends up with 16 starts?

Vick should start regular season to give the offense the best chance to play catch up from the hole their defense will get them into weekly

With Vick set to be paid $3.5mil if he's on the roster after week 1, he's going have to show definitively that he is the #1 qb. I believe if its 50/50 in camp then he will be gone. Foles is younger and cheaper and makes much more sense in a transition year.

Whats the upside of vick? He plays well and gets the offense competitive but due to our defense we lose anyway. Is vick still here next year if he plays well? I doubt it. So the odds are stacked against him to be the starter for the eagles but someone in this league will pick him up with a chance to start.
Vick is playing better than Foles and should win the starting job. He still will most likely not be the starter next year on a rebuilding team unless he takes them to the playoffs.

As long as you have a solid QB1, nothing wrong with Vick for 10-12 games or whatever part of the season he can play.
got Vick paired w/ RGIII right now
Meant to quote not like/unlike but I feel that is a lot of unnecessary risk. I would pair Vick with someone more like Joe Flacco. RG3 has some obstacles once the season starts, no preseason action, could be tough. Eli would pair fine with Vick as well IMO.

It's Vick with Bradford and Rivers for me.

Would i prefer it to be better: yes!

Is it better than feared: Hell yes!

CSN Philly believes it's time for the Ealges to "put an end" to their quarterback competition, and anoint Michael Vick.
It's notable because CSN Philly had previously been in Nick Foles' corner. That was before Vick ran circles around Foles in the preseason, however. Through two games, Vick is 13-of-15 for 199 yards, a touchdown and an interception. Foles is 11-of-14 for 96 yards and a pick, an awful one at that. Throw in Vick's far superior athleticism — and salary — and he's reaffirmed that he's the only logical choice to pilot Kelly's offense.

Michael Vick says new Eagles coach Chip Kelly has helped him "(fall) in love with the game again."
"(Kelly's) main goal was to help me get back into top shape, get me comfortable, and to a point where I could believe in myself again," Vick said after Thursday's impressive preseason performance. Despite Vick's stellar play and renewed confidence, Kelly is still holding off on officially naming him starter. It won't be long.

Seen this before. He does look great.
after seeing him play in the first preseason game I changed my draft strategy from grabbing a QB in round 6 (luck, romo, or rg3) to waiting until round 10 to get Vick and cutler in 11. They have a great combined schedule so even if Vick doesn't play as well as I think he will, there should be nice value there.But he looks really good in that chip Kelly offense.

after seeing him play in the first preseason game I changed my draft strategy from grabbing a QB in round 6 (luck, romo, or rg3) to waiting until round 10 to get Vick and cutler in 11. They have a great combined schedule so even if Vick doesn't play as well as I think he will, there should be nice value there.But he looks really good in that chip Kelly offense.
You have to take Vick serious in FF now. Totally agree.

Vick looks like the guy to me. He's getting rid of the ball really quickly, good accuracy, throwing darts and still has speed. Chip has a good problem with both him an Foles playing well. I don't like how he's handling it though. I get doing due diligence, but he should just give it to the vet who is playing great and have the team coalesce around him. Vick is still reckless and will probably get hurt, then Foles can take the reigns. Seems like a win/win.

Vick looks like the guy to me. He's getting rid of the ball really quickly, good accuracy, throwing darts and still has speed. Chip has a good problem with both him an Foles playing well. I don't like how he's handling it though. I get doing due diligence, but he should just give it to the vet who is playing great and have the team coalesce around him. Vick is still reckless and will probably get hurt, then Foles can take the reigns. Seems like a win/win.
A lot of the local media speculation is that Kelly is getting both ready to play. The probability is that the Eagles will need both during the course of the season. Everyone will be shocked if Vick isn't the opening day starter though. Through it all though Kelly has maintained he's in no rush to name a starter. If he's true to his word, it will be after the 4th preseason game.

I would disregard Cutler and wait even longer for someone like Schaub or Palmer IMO.

As long as you have a solid QB1, nothing wrong with Vick for 10-12 games or whatever part of the season he can play.
got Vick paired w/ RGIII right now
Meant to quote not like/unlike but I feel that is a lot of unnecessary risk. I would pair Vick with someone more like Joe Flacco. RG3 has some obstacles once the season starts, no preseason action, could be tough. Eli would pair fine with Vick as well IMO.
Thanks, I like the combo because RGIII has an early BYE week and I figure the rust will be off by then. But it is a high risk / high reward combo.

I would disregard Cutler and wait even longer for someone like Schaub or Palmer IMO.
i am intrigued by what trestman can do with him but sure you could. I also think Alex smith is a great value late.

Michael Vick has been going about QB 12 in the average draft. Part of that reflected the uncertainty about him and Foles. What do you see him rising to now that he has been named the starter.
From a FFB perspective I cant imagine any higher
QB 12 sounds high IMO, but can't see taking him higher than that

Users who are viewing this thread