What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Middle Aged Dummies - Artist - Round 3 - #1's have been posted! (7 Viewers)

Ok I think I’ll have time to do this one, since it won’t require as much of a deep dive for me (although they did keep releasing albums well after I stopped listening to anything newer from them - which means I might not have much of anything after Union).

For round 4, I will be ranking Yes songs. I’ll be setting a time limit to try and keep from bogging the playlists down too much, which may exclude a few of my favorites.

IF and its a big IF i do a second artist next time, please pick for me from the following 3 artists.
Pretty similar genres.
Maybe you should just do 1 artist since Zegras put a cap on how many he'd like to participate.
Party Pooper.
There have been no caps to date.
I wouldnt want anyone to miss out cause i have 2 entries though.
This one only had 31. Will there be more next time?

Also between fantasy football and ranking sandwiches I did not have a lot of time to respond to playlists. My personal medal standings are

Gold: Chvrches
Silver: Oingo Boingo
Bronze: DMB

Chvrches is right in my wheelhouse and I have no idea I never discovered them before. Probably my favorite discovered band in all of these countdowns. Same with Oingo Boingo. Got a lot new 80s favorites there. DMB I already knew but kind of lost interest after BTCS. This introduced me to more recent stuff I now like. I’ve also been listening to the Sirius DMB channel a lot while out driving recently.
Thats awesome. Makes it worthwhile doing these things when I hear that.

I don't mind if you post RD 4 here, but you will have to repost them when I create the new page Saturday
That quick? Wow.
But thanks for the clarification.
All 4 of my proposed artists have 9-12 studio albums under their belt, unlike Chvrches with 4 and the Sweet who were mostly a singles band.
Tough to get through 2 artists with medium sized catalogs from scratch in a shorter time frame. Looks like one for me this go round.

I don't mind if you post RD 4 here, but you will have to repost them when I create the new page Saturday
That quick? Wow.
All 4 of my proposed artists have 9-12 studio albums under their belt, unlike Chvrches with 4 and the Sweet who were mostly a singles band.
Tough to get through 2 artists with medium sized catalogs from scratch in a shorter time frame. Looks like one for me this go round.
I noticed that.

For round 4, I will be ranking Yes songs.
You may break Spotify's bandwidth with them.

Great choice.
My goal is to make it shorter than my Genesis playlist.

Rd 1 - Genesis - 4hr 1min
Rd 2 - Beastie Boys - 1hr 56min
Rd 3 - Stone Temple Pilots - 2hr 5min
Purely Yes?
Or gonna mix in some side projects for the main players.
A Jon Anderson mix would be fun, but im complaining about 9-11 albums to get through.
Good luck with 94 albums lol

For round 4, I will be ranking Yes songs.
You may break Spotify's bandwidth with them.

Great choice.
My goal is to make it shorter than my Genesis playlist.

Rd 1 - Genesis - 4hr 1min
Rd 2 - Beastie Boys - 1hr 56min
Rd 3 - Stone Temple Pilots - 2hr 5min
Purely Yes?
Or gonna mix in some side projects for the main players.
A Jon Anderson mix would be fun, but im complaining about 9-11 albums to get through.
Good luck with 94 albums lol
Yeah just the band Yes for now, but we’ll see how my list comes together for if I want to branch out at all. They also have all kinds of different live versions I might want to sprinkle in there.

Ok I think I’ll have time to do this one, since it won’t require as much of a deep dive for me (although they did keep releasing albums well after I stopped listening to anything newer from them - which means I might not have much of anything after Union).

For round 4, I will be ranking Yes songs. I’ll be setting a time limit to try and keep from bogging the playlists down too much, which may exclude a few of my favorites.
Don't worry about the time, would probably mean a fav or two won't make the cut.

Yikes, didn’t realize there were 11 studio albums after Union (which is a funny title since the band had basically broken apart at that time and were fighting over the rights to the band name) plus a gazillion live albums and even a remix album (I’m afraid to check that one out). Guess this won’t be as easy as I thought. Maybe I’ll just do what Pip did and cut my list off before the 90s.

One is glam rock
Not many left lol. Dont want to speculate. Weve already had Slade and Sweet.
That is a good point. I was thinking about one of the pioneers still out there, but maybe being a well-trodden genre is a point in favor of me going back to Brazil.
Well she ain't no witch
And I love the way she twitch, ah, ah, ah?
I’d bang a gong if I owned one.

(ETA: But if someone else was thinking of that one, go for it. Will make my decision easier and leaning the other direction anyway.)

I know we have had the Beasties, but nothing else in the genre, right? What is the groups' feeling on hip hop/rap on the playlist?
I'd be up for it - but you can't please everyone.

There's probably an artist already announced that I don't think I have interest in, but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.
I get that the bolded is impossible, but if people also don't want it on there because they try to listen at work or other environments (on top of being a genre the group doesn't gravitate to), that is another consideration.

As we head into a Part 4, I've been thinking that I had a little more fun with my Dino and Oingo playlists with the group due to a couple reasons: they were newer discoveries for me, and they were bands in general I thought the group would be more likely to click with. Mastodon was more for me and something I just happen to reconnect with, but probably not as good of a MAD31 choice if that makes sense.

My part 4 artist was much more in the Mastodon camp, which caused me to probably pivot yet again off them. There are a couple rap artists that fit the bill with what I want more, which is why I was asking, but I have a lot of other options as well. I have the most fun when it's an artist that is new to me or made me get over a bias, has a variety of phases or sounds, and I think could introduce the group to a new artist or songs. If I can find a book on them that would be a big bonus, as that was what I was missing for Dino and Oingo - I wish I read more about them.
Don't overthink it...pick a band/artist you want to share. Some will like the music. Some will not. If some skip your selection, you'll never really know anyway and my bet is that will be few and far between. This seems to be a pretty open minded crowd for music. Outside of Rush of course.
laugh emoji on the rush diss - f u btw ... lol

you do know I painted one of the inside folds of Yessongs on my bedroom wall when I was in college ... :wub:

That quick? Wow.
You'll still have 3-4 weeks to input the list after Saturday

you do know I painted one of the inside folds of Yessongs on my bedroom wall when I was in college ... :wub:
Awesome. I had a poster of it in college (without the artistic ability)

Awesome. I had a poster of it in college (without the artistic ability)

poor quality original taken with a "shake it like a polaroid" instant camera and then I took a photo of that - lol

notice the carpet, a cross-hatch combination of red, white and blue ...exceptionally hideous - lol, the picture was taken around '78-'79 and the carpet was installed a couple years earlier when the 200 year anniversary "Spirit of '76" color scheme was all the rage

here is a picture of the kid that did it ...that's me on the right ...about 46 YEARS AGO - ARRRRUUGHHHHHH!!!

OK, I wasn't going to post this early, but I have a ton of work to do this month as I start a playlist from scratch with a band I had purposely avoided most of my life because of a few songs and my usual dumb leftover teenage biases. This one is going to be interesting for a variety of reasons, namely - HTF did I have this little knowledge and contact with a band that has gone platinum many times over and songs with Billions of listens on Spotify? I am breaking my under 1M/month rule to tackle my newest obsession that is....

Journey

Last edited:
Yikes, didn’t realize there were 11 studio albums after Union (which is a funny title since the band had basically broken apart at that time and were fighting over the rights to the band name) plus a gazillion live albums and even a remix album (I’m afraid to check that one out). Guess this won’t be as easy as I thought. Maybe I’ll just do what Pip did and cut my list off before the 90s.
Talk (1994) isn’t bad. Dont see much point in going beyond that.

I know we have had the Beasties, but nothing else in the genre, right? What is the groups' feeling on hip hop/rap on the playlist?
I'd be up for it - but you can't please everyone.

There's probably an artist already announced that I don't think I have interest in, but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.
I get that the bolded is impossible, but if people also don't want it on there because they try to listen at work or other environments (on top of being a genre the group doesn't gravitate to), that is another consideration.

As we head into a Part 4, I've been thinking that I had a little more fun with my Dino and Oingo playlists with the group due to a couple reasons: they were newer discoveries for me, and they were bands in general I thought the group would be more likely to click with. Mastodon was more for me and something I just happen to reconnect with, but probably not as good of a MAD31 choice if that makes sense.

My part 4 artist was much more in the Mastodon camp, which caused me to probably pivot yet again off them. There are a couple rap artists that fit the bill with what I want more, which is why I was asking, but I have a lot of other options as well. I have the most fun when it's an artist that is new to me or made me get over a bias, has a variety of phases or sounds, and I think could introduce the group to a new artist or songs. If I can find a book on them that would be a big bonus, as that was what I was missing for Dino and Oingo - I wish I read more about them.
Don't overthink it...pick a band/artist you want to share. Some will like the music. Some will not. If some skip your selection, you'll never really know anyway and my bet is that will be few and far between. This seems to be a pretty open minded crowd for music. Outside of Rush of course.
laugh emoji on the rush diss - f u btw ... lol
I like Rush - but they take their abuse here.

OK if we're claiming here. I'm going to be selecting

The Walkmen

A band my wife and brother in law introduced me to. Excited to finally dive into all of their albums for this.
Paging @rockaction

...non-explosively, of course
:lmao:

too soon? :oldunsure:

What am I missing here?
The news?

The Mosad somehow blew up Hezbollah pagers in Lebanon - killing a few and injuring many.

Hezbollah used pagers to communicate - using old tech so Israel couldn't intercept messages apparently.

Alright, since we are claiming… I mentioned yesterday that was debating between glam rock and going back to Brazil. JML’s point about glam rock being well-represented unintentionally swayed me. I am going to go back to Latin America, with the man who brought soul music to Brazil….

Tim Maia

He’s been positively received when I’ve posted songs by him in the worldwide 31 and MAD covers countdown (hopefully not just Thumperism). He does have a number of songs in English; so, xenoglossophobics may react better to him than Jorge Ben.

The Walkmen

A band my wife and brother in law introduced me to. Excited to finally dive into all of their albums for this.
Paging @rockaction

I did indeed catch the reference.

But I will be eagerly and non-explosively anticipating The Walkmen's 31. I've heard everything and I know it cold up until Lisbon, and then Lisbon and Heaven is where I taper off a bit in memory. But I pretty much know everything else by heart. Like words and music.

So go to it, Scoresman. No pressure from the peanut gallery to get it stinking right, eh?

The Walkmen

Paging @rockaction

:lmao:

too soon? :oldunsure:

What am I missing here?
The news?

The Mosad somehow blew up Hezbollah pagers in Lebanon - killing a few and injuring many.

Hezbollah used pagers to communicate - using old tech so Israel couldn't intercept messages apparently.
Ah I see.

I've been in my own world this week as I'm hidden in my cave dealing with COVID.

1. The End of Radio -- Shellac

This is the best performance of Shellac's best song -- a synthesis of most everything that made them unique: great humor, unornamented musicianship that could be alternately brutal and delicate, a dedication to minimalism and silence that John Cage would envy, wry improvisation, compelling, evocative lyrics that are almost entirely improvised.

This version was recorded in Maida Vale Studios for the BBC, just weeks after legendary DJ John Peel died. Peel had been a long time champion of Steve's work and a compatriot of Crass collaborator and Albini-mentor John Loder. Peel featured them earlier in their career, and before the "official" release of the End of Radio record had been traded ceaselessly as bootlegs.

I knew Steve pretty well by this time, and know for certain that John Peel's heart attack came in the middle of a brutal 18-month period where Steve also lost his friend Michael Dahlquist, his mentors Ed Paschke and John Loder, and his father, the venerable scientist Frank Albini. I do not know how he felt about playing Maida Vale a few weeks after John Peel's death, but it must've been weird.

The only constant lines in this song were "Is this thing on?", "Can you hear me now?" and "It's the end of radio." The rest are extemporaneous and varied from show to show.

The idea is that a mealy little record-collecting weasel is finally granted his wish, Twilight Zone-style, of being the sole arbiter of culture when a global calamity leaves him as the last DJ on earth and the loneliest man alive.

It the song Steve manages to reference radio personalities John Peel ("In session tonight"), Jack Brickhouse ("Hey Hey!") Walter Winchel ("Mr. and Mrs. America and all the ships at sea . . .") Kacee Kasem,("Welcome to your top ten") and song and dance man Jonathan Richman ("Out on Route 128 in the dark and golden it's the sound of modern moonlight."

Every second of this song is perfect, harrowing, intense, funny, and if you haven't listened to a single thing I've posted all the way through (Unterstandable! It's not for everyone!" listen to this thing.

Thanks for letting me do this, guys. I appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread