What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Middle Aged Dummies - Artist - Round 3 - #1's have been posted! (4 Viewers)

I'm planning on selecting one cover by The Cure. I'll bet Cure fans can guess which one it is.

Perhaps it is the cover I chose for the recent covers countdown:

Purple Haze

ETA: Obviously, I don't know how to properly use the spoiler tag...

Introducing The Sweet

Are you ready Steve? Uh-huh
Andy? Yeah
Mick? Okay
Alright fellas, let's go!

The man doing the Introduction on Ballroom Blitz was Brian, Brian Connolly.
Brian was born in 1945 to a teenage waitress and an unknown father.
Abandoned by his mother when he contracted meningitis as an infant, he was fostered by a Scottish couple at the age of 2.
He moved to England at 12 and joined the navy in his mid teens.
Upon his discharge he fronted a local band.
Upon leaving this band, he was replaced by Ian Gillan of Deep Purple fame. Rest of the band must have really sucked lol
Except the drummer Mick Tucker who he took with him to form the Sweet.
Steve Priest joined soon after. 4 ****ty singles followed before guitarist Andy Scott joined

Connolly was born to be a rock n roll frontman.
Blonde hair, attractive and with a magnificent vocal range
to sing the softest of songs to all out rockers
Success was the stuff of his dreams. A #1 hit single in the UK in Blockbuster, US success with several big hit singles as well.
Leaving the songwriting team that restricted their developing songwriting, Connolly and the band were primed to become a great band.
Unfortunately the event that would change his life forever occurred in a staged attack, rumoured to be organised by a disgruntled ex-roadie.
Connolly was attacked while returning to his car after buying cigarettes. His throat was deliberately targeted resulting in severe injuries that required six months of surgeries, rehabilitation and lies to the public explaining his absence.
The re-recording of Fox on the Run led to a monster hit that kept the band in the limelight before Connolly could return.
Steve Priest and Andy Scott sung a few tracks on the albums, but Connolly had his vocal range heavily limited by the assault.
This led to a lack of confidence in his own voice, alcoholism and the alcoholism led to severe frictions within the band as Connolly was excluded from decisions and his erratic performances led to his exclusion.
The band gave him the dignity of saying he was leaving to pursue solo projects.
But he had one last great moment. Love is like Oxygen. It is a fantastic vocal performance, perhaps his best. It surprised the band and gave the Sweet a last massive international hit.

Unfortunately post Sweet life for Connolly didn’t get any better.
With his ongoing alcoholism, Connolly had a hospital visit punctuated with 14 heart attacks in 24 hours in 1981
This resulted in partial paralysis and a degenerative nerve condition.
Connolly recovered well enough to form one of about 4 versions of the Sweet, Brian Connolly’’s Sweet or the New Sweet.
His voice however was shot and his health an ongoing concern. After an attempted reunion in 1988
In 1988, the producer Mike Chapman arranged for Connolly and former band members Mick Tucker, Steve Priest and Andy Scott to reunite in Los Angeles, California, and rework studio versions of "Action" and "The Ballroom Blitz". The reunion was with a view to producing a new album for MCA Records, however due to problems with Connolly's voice, the project failed and Connolly returned to the New Sweet.
Trudging along, Connolly had reconciled with Priest and Tucker in the early 90s, but not Scott who controlled the original Sweet material. His health declined rapidly in 1995 and his death at the age of just 51 happened in early 1997 shocked no one who had seen him in the preceding years. .

Introducing The Sweet

Andy? Yeah
Mick? Okay

Abandoned by his mother when he contracted meningitis as an infant, he was fostered by a Scottish couple at the age of 2.
Upon leaving this band, he was replaced by Ian Gillan of Deep Purple fame. Rest of the band must have really sucked lol
Steve Priest joined soon after. 4 ****ty singles followed before guitarist Andy Scott joined

Success was the stuff of his dreams. A #1 hit single in the UK in Blockbuster, US success with several big hit singles as well.
Leaving the songwriting team that restricted their developing songwriting, Connolly and the band were primed to become a great band.
Unfortunately the event that would change his life forever occurred in a staged attack, rumoured to be organised by a disgruntled ex-roadie.
Connolly was attacked while returning to his car after buying cigarettes. His throat was deliberately targeted resulting in severe injuries that required six months of surgeries, rehabilitation and lies to the public explaining his absence.
The re-recording of Fox on the Run led to a monster hit that kept the band in the limelight before Connolly could return.
Steve Priest and Andy Scott sung a few tracks on the albums, but Connolly had his vocal range heavily limited by the assault.
This led to a lack of confidence in his own voice, alcoholism and the alcoholism led to severe frictions within the band as Connolly was excluded from decisions and his erratic performances led to his exclusion.
But he had one last great moment. Love is like Oxygen. It is a fantastic vocal performance, perhaps his best. It surprised the band and gave the Sweet a last massive international hit.

With his ongoing alcoholism, Connolly had a hospital visit punctuated with 14 heart attacks in 24 hours in 1981
Connolly recovered well enough to form one of about 4 versions of the Sweet, Brian Connolly’’s Sweet or the New Sweet.
His voice however was shot and his health an ongoing concern. After an attempted reunion in 1988
In 1988, the producer Mike Chapman arranged for Connolly and former band members Mick Tucker, Steve Priest and Andy Scott to reunite in Los Angeles, California, and rework studio versions of "Action" and "The Ballroom Blitz". The reunion was with a view to producing a new album for MCA Records, however due to problems with Connolly's voice, the project failed and Connolly returned to the New Sweet.
Trudging along, Connolly had reconciled with Priest and Tucker in the early 90s, but not Scott who controlled the original Sweet material. His health declined rapidly in 1995 and his death at the age of just 51 happened in early 1997 shocked no one who had seen him in the preceding years. .
Really looking forward to this one. I had all of Sweet's "big" (in the U.S.) LPs back in the '70s, but I suspect you'll be pulling some songs I've never heard. There really wasn't another artist like them.

I’m in

Debating between a couple groups since you fools took all my other options already.
Doobie Brothers would work
They were one of my Last Four Out.
Which Doobie you be?
What's happening?
Now that I think of it, I could have gone with Henry Mancini for this go-around and used the theme song.
Hey HEY hey

Introducing The Sweet

Andy? Yeah
Mick? Okay

Very interesting - did not know the story.

Love is Like Oxygen is an all-time favorite of mine. Looking forward to hearing the 25 or so songs that weren't hits.

Introducing The Sweet

Andy? Yeah
Mick? Okay

Today we will focus on the drummer Mick, Mick Tucker.
His drumming has been underrated and he is probably the best at his position in the band in the music industry, outside singer Brian Connolly.
Unfortunately another tragic tale here.

Like Connolly, he was in a local town band until he was sacked for being too flamboyant. Connolly followed him out in support.
The pair got together to form The Sweetshop, which eventually became the Sweet.
Tucker was fairly amiable and fit the usual dumb drummer motif.
That said he was the backbone of the band and often the one butting heads when necessary.
An example of this is when control freaks Mike Chapman and Nicky Chinn, a duo of songwriters and producers, took over the instruments being played with session musicians on the first five singles the pair worked with the band. The songwriters “let” the band do vocals.
The Sweet knew they had signed a deal with the devil, but eventually won through. When Tucker criticized the drumming on The Six-Teens
According to Steve Priest's 1994 autobiography, Are You Ready, Steve?, Tucker offered his feedback while recording "The Six Teens", and songwriter/producer Mike Chapman said, "We don't f**king need you anyway, Mick!" Tucker ended the argument by saying, "If you don't need us, why don't you just put that tape player on 'record' and erase the whole track?" He was serious when it came to making music, and he stood up for his band's integrity when necessary.
The Sweet finally were “allowed” to actually make all the music from Wig-Wam Bam onwards, before breaking free after the success Fox on the Run. As mentioned previously this unfortunately coincided with the Brian Connolly throat attack.
As Steve Priest explained about Tucker
Tucker was a consummate drummer with a range of complex rhythms who could have helped any band considerably. Steve Priest said of Tucker, "He was the most underrated drummer that ever came out of England... He was the powerhouse of the band. He was technically marvelous. His timing was impeccable, but he had a lot of soul as well and he really felt what he was playing.
Tucker generally went along with the antics of Priest and guitarist Andy Scott, dressing up “gay”. Connolly refused. Tucker stayed with the band after Connolly left, but tragedy struck while the band were in America. His wife Pauline had drowned in the bathtub in 1979.

Tucker returned to the band. When Priest left in 1981, the band essentially was no more. Priest and Tucker were a tight rhythm unit. Tucker stayed with Scott out of loyalty to the band name, but this was Andy Scotts Sweet and generally just a greatist hits touring outfit. Tucker was not an equal partner as he was before.
Tucker stayed with Scott and his version of Sweet until 1991 when ill health forced him home.
Ill health turned out to be leukemia. He fought hard. A bone marrow transplant from his brother gave him more time, but he was not the same man as before and finally succumbed at age 54 in 2002.

His legacy was strong. Apart from the below, his style was mimicked by bands such as Motley Crue, Guns N Roses and others.
Cheap Trick drummer Bun E. Carlos remembered that Sweet opened for Cheap Trick in 1979. "On most nights we went side stage and watched them. They were rockin' live, and Mick was fun to watch. His style reminded me of an early Keith Moon. Mick was one of the few double bass drummers that didn't let the second bass drum get in the way of a swinging tune like 'Ballroom Blitz.' He had a great feel on double bass drum, played them effortlessly... And those guys knew how to have fun," Carlos said. "We'd call them back on stage during our encores and jam on 'Let It Rock'. Mick would play my kit with the 26" bass drum and just rock out with us. I'd hop up on the riser with him, playing guitar and watching him play. We had some great times together."
Other drummers who were influenced by Tucker fans are Jack Irons (Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pearl Jam, Wallflowers), Snowy Shaw (King Diamond, Dream Evil, Mercyful Fate), and Jason Hartless (Ted Nugent).

Irons stated of Tucker, "Mick was a great drummer... He had that fluid, '60s/'70s rock 'n' roll freedom. His drumming was super-tight and musical, technical, and rocking."

Shaw said of Tucker, "Mick's tastefulness, precision, and strong signature put him at the very top of the list of drumming heroes I had when I was trying to master the profession," he says. "Technically, he was right up there with Ian Paice and John Bonham. Like a kid in a candy store, I devoured his selection of trademark tricks and licks, which he delivered so musically, and with conviction and grace like no one else. It may have been Peter Criss who first got me into drums, but it was Mick Tucker whose drumming most influenced me and who taught me how to play music."

I was thinking Hanson, but either would work.
C + C Music Factory was my first thought.

Guys, I was just saying hmmm to indicate I was considering but not sure yet. Relax.
Do you really think I thought you were going to list 31 songs by C + C Music Factory? Please..... :banned:
No sweat

Guys, I was just saying hmmm to indicate I was considering but not sure yet. Relax.
Do you really think I thought you were going to list 31 songs by C + C Music Factory? Please..... :banned:

Is that a challenge?

Is that a challenge?
I hope not.

I might have to drop from this one, have a lot going on and I'm not sure I'm going to have the time to do the research needed for it. I'll see what I can get done this week and then make a decision

Now that the thread fell to the second page, it's time for me to introduce my choice.

The Moody Blues

Introduction

For Baby Boomers, Gen Xers and the older Millennials, songs from the British Invasion of the early and mid 60s made up a large part of the soundtrack of our lives. The passing of time has revealed many of the behind-the-scenes stories of those bands, and of the multitude of acts to reach our ears, only a small handful remain in our zeitgeist; sadly, one of the most "60s" bands of that bunch, The Moody Blues, have been reduced to just one memory, Nights in White Satin, while I believe they deserve a little better.

The Cliffs Notes version of their story is not atypical: five guys from separate failing groups who, due as much to proximity as a shared interest in the R&B wave rolling through England's youth at the time, joined together to have a go at it. While they found some success, a key lineup change altered their musical direction and launched them into the stratosphere. They rode their momentum through the rest of the 60s and into the early 70s, found new life in the early 80s and rode this second wave for four more decades before the remaining members finally lowered the curtain for the last time.

The most prominent section of their career, from their first lineup change until going on hiatus in the early 70s, saw the Moodies as either the creators of or early pioneers of a genre that would come to be called 'Prog (short for progressive) Rock'. 'Art Rock' describes their style as well, as most of the eight albums this lineup released strove for a singular theme, noted by the general running together of tracks, more noticeable on the original vinyl than digital media. As a result, several tracks on the list won't have the accompanying track and will have to be appreciated by following provided youtube links.

I had been a casual fan of theirs from the early 80s, when their Long Distance Voyager album hit the charts. When I got to college a few years later, I began exploring their back catalog of albums, finding songs I liked here and there. While I was never off the deep end for them, seeing them play live in '87 or so made me appreciate their talent more, though they mostly fell out of my listening rotation in the 90s. I took sad notice when members and former members passed away, and the most recent passing of their last living founding member, keyboardist Mike Pinder, brought them back to my forefront, so my choosing them for round 3 is a bit of serendipity, which will surely bring a grin to their faces, especially the ones who have merged with the infinite planes they musically proselytized for all the way to the bank.

Like my last countdown, this one will be a chronological walk through their history, from R&B wannabes to prog rock titans to nostalgic pop stars who never paid attention to the phrase 'jump the shark'.

Last edited:
I might have to drop from this one, have a lot going on and I'm not sure I'm going to have the time to do the research needed for it. I'll see what I can get done this week and then make a decision
Heaven knows Im REALLY miserable now

Seriously, we have until June 23 to make artist selections.
I didnt even see a deadline for submitting lists yet. Was there one?
Plenty of time at the moment.

I', thinking June 30th for submission

I', thinking June 30th for submission
When are you planning to get the form up? I’ve still got some time, but will be out of country for vacation this time next week, and will need to submit before then.

Dipping my toe in the water here with one of my favorite obscure bands The Slambovian Circus of Dreams. I was introduced to them about 7 years ago and now go to 2-3 shows per year. They mostly tour the Northeast and UK, here is a write up from their website:

Voted "Best Band" by NY’s Chronogram Magazine for their rootsy, rockin’ psychedelia, the Slambovians' deep connection with audiences and exciting live shows are legendary. Musical influences of Dylan, Bowie, Incredible String Band, Syd Barrett, and The Waterboys can be heard, yet the Slambovians' musicianship and critically acclaimed songwriting stand on their own. This Woodstock-tinged psychedelia has a hint of southern rock and British folk combined with solid songwriting - a slice of Americana pie that is irresistible!

I have not thought about my Doors introduction yet, but I will say I was chatting with my 18 y/o nephew last night. He told me he's smoking some weed occasionally (yea right), and likes it. I asked him if he's hit his "Doors" stage yet, and he said YES!! JIM MORRISON IS AWESOME!!!

It's a rite of passage many of us go through.

I had to look it up myself to verify this slambovian something is indeed a real band. :lol:

Quite interested based on the description.

I had to look it up myself to verify this slambovian something is indeed a real band. :lol:

Quite interested based on the description.
Yup, that is the standard response when I mention them to anyone. But if I can get them to a live show, they almost always become fans.

I'll throw a list together. Going to highlight a Canadian band from my teenage years. They produced a number of hits up here (🇨🇦 ) in the 70's and early 80s. I feel they have been criminally under-rated as far as Canadian bands go. From a time when guitars were the featured instruments. I suspect some of you have not even heard of them, but most will know a few of these at least. This will be a lot of fun (for me, anyway).

April Wine

I'll throw a list together. Going to highlight a Canadian band from my teenage years. They produced a number of hits up here (🇨🇦 ) in the 70's and early 80s. I feel they have been criminally under-rated as far as Canadian bands go. From a time when guitars were the featured instruments. I suspect some of you have not even heard of them, but most will know a few of these at least. This will be a lot of fun (for me, anyway).

April Wine
Love this pick - looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Also timely with Myles Goodwyn having left us about six months ago.

Also timely with Myles Goodwyn having left us about six months ago.
Yeah. That was 😢 . After the news I went back and started playing some of the material I hadn't heard in a number of years. Good stuff. Brings back lots of memories.
I see you're from St. Thomas, ON. London Knights fan?
Yeah, I'm a fan. Not a huge one but I go to a game, or two each year. Not to get into too much detail, but my son played a year with them and it left a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth. Mostly from what happened before he went there (long story), but also never felt that they gave him much of a chance. But he was never going much father anyway so we were super proud that he got that far. They are, obviously, the cream of the crop as far as organizations go. Of course, I can remember when they were at the Ice House and those were some lean years. :)

I will say that my boy played on the team with Evan Bouchard and he had nothing but good things to say about him so I root for Evan. Even though he skates funny and looks half asleep all the time. :lol:

Also timely with Myles Goodwyn having left us about six months ago.
Yeah. That was 😢 . After the news I went back and started playing some of the material I hadn't heard in a number of years. Good stuff. Brings back lots of memories.
I see you're from St. Thomas, ON. London Knights fan?
Yeah, I'm a fan. Not a huge one but I go to a game, or two each year. Not to get into too much detail, but my son played a year with them and it left a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth. Mostly from what happened before he went there (long story), but also never felt that they gave him much of a chance. But he was never going much father anyway so we were super proud that he got that far. They are, obviously, the cream of the crop as far as organizations go. Of course, I can remember when they were at the Ice House and those were some lean years. :)

I will say that my boy played on the team with Evan Bouchard and he had nothing but good things to say about him so I root for Evan. Even though he skates funny and looks half asleep all the time. :lol:
Wow - that's really impressive he got that far. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread