What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Middle Aged Dummies - Artist - Round 4 - Taking New Artists Never Used before. Deadline 10/13/24 (2 Viewers)

To his credit zegras isnt precious
I might have to switch to the Pretenders after this one. :lmao:

If we get enough interest to do a Theme Draft, we can do that in the future.

The Theme idea had crossed my mind before JML sent me a PM. And I was open to having him do it now as a one off. When we do it, people are going to have to be VERY specific about their theme. I don't want to get into endless debates/arguments. For example, I will be choosing Top 31 New Wave songs by 31 different artists.

Another idea that I had a week ago and ran it past KP and Pip was to do a MAD 31 list with everyone choosing a different year. They both liked it as much as I did, and then we realized there would be argument after argument about what year a song should be in. So that quickly ended that idea. Dibs on 72 or 73 if this ever happens LOL.

Another idea that I had a week ago and ran it past KP and Pip was to do a MAD 31 list with everyone choosing a different year. They both liked it as much as I did, and then we realized there would be argument after argument about what year a song should be in. So that quickly ended that idea. Dibs on 72 or 73 if this ever happens LOL.
You really think we would argue about this? This isn't a Timdraft, you know.

Maybe we should have BYO 31-song playlist thread later, kind of like that week when the NFL lets players wear customized cleats. As examples, I'd like to pull together a 31-song Muscle Shoals playlist, or maybe a surf-genre playlist, or sad songs, or breakup songs, or songs about sex ... or drugs ... or even songs about Rock and Roll itself.

Can't you just pick a way to rule on year? Like "year the song was first published"?
You really think we would argue about this? This isn't a Timdraft, you know.
Thee are the bane of any year list of music or draft.
I used to be a chief cheerleader of the officious crew, but now…**** it.
I mean a song released in December 1975 of a year…..as an album track first.
It isnt really a 1975 song.
Defining this is difficult and leeway should be allowed within reason.
There is absolutely no fun in having someone constantly pointing out that this track was released first in Upper Volta in 1967 and therefore shouldnt be a 1968 song.
No one wants to run a draft like this without wanting to tell people to **** off every two minutes.
If someone has the fortitude to run it, great.
Thoughts and prayers

Maybe we should have BYO 31-song playlist thread later, kind of like that week when the NFL lets players wear customized cleats. As examples, I'd like to pull together a 31-song Muscle Shoals playlist, or maybe a surf-genre playlist, or sad songs, or breakup songs, or songs about sex ... or drugs ... or even songs about Rock and Roll itself.
I tried to run a trilogy draft a few years ago. The site owner thought that Rock N Roll was the devils music and objected.
Joking.
He objected to the other two.
He has lost family members through drugs and songs about blowjobs and snorting cocaine isnt his idea of PG.

I tried to run a trilogy draft a few years ago. The site owner thought that Rock N Roll was the devils music and objected.
Joking.
He has lost family members through drugs and songs about blowjobs and snorting cocaine isnt his idea of PG.
I'd forgotten about that. It's not like a 31-song playlist about drugs would serve to promote drugs (on the contrary, it might serve as a cautionary tale), but yeah we don't want to offend the delicate sensibilities of the people at the other end of the bar who aren't listening to us.

Okay, after overthinking it, I've nailed it down. I'll be taking
Candlebox

It's a band I lost connection with thanks mostly to that whole 10-year hiatus thing, then found again. There might be an emphasis on those first 3 albums (we'll see; the list isn't done), but there's some great stuff throughout their (apparently) recently-ended history.

Joking.
I was in that draft :frown:

Joking.
:reported:

Joking.
Were you also in the draft of songs by performers who had joined the choir eternal? I'm not sure which cancellation was dumber.

(It's easy to know when that was. Tom Petty died smack dab in the middle of it.)

Joking.
Were you also in the draft of songs by performers who had joined the choir eternal? I'm not sure which cancellation was dumber.

(It's easy to know when that was. Tom Petty died smack dab in the middle of it.)

We covered all those forbidden themes and then some in the big Genrepalooza Radio draft but that thread was so arcane that the mods didn't care.

Joking.

We covered all those forbidden themes and then some in the big Genrepalooza Radio draft but that thread was so arcane that the mods didn't care.
Moderation disappears after page 1000

1Zegras11The Airborne Toxic Event
2Don QuixoteTim Maia
3Pip's InvitationTriumph
4Uruk-HaiPFunk
5Raging weaselThe Pretty Reckless
6New binky the doormatDoobie Brothers
7kupcho1The Clash
8The Dreaded MarcoBuilt To Spill
9ScoresmanThe Walkman
10-OZ-Lindsey Stirling
11Mrs. RannousAnnie Lennox
12Charlie SteinerWhitney Houston
13Yo MamaYes
14John Maddens LunchboxRobyn
15MAC_32Our Lady Peace
16zamboniBee Gees
17YambagRyan Star
18landrys hatMy Morning Jacket
19Karma PoliceJourney
20Mister CIAFrederick John Elgersma
21jwbMotley Crew
22eephusJohnny Marr
23tuffnutR.E.M.
24Mt. ManCandlebox

Candlebox

It's a band I lost connection with thanks mostly to that whole 10-year hiatus thing, then found again. There might be an emphasis on those first 3 albums (we'll see; the list isn't done), but there's some great stuff throughout their (apparently) recently-ended history.
Oh, it's clear you're...far behind

Joking.

Was not in that one.

1Zegras11The Airborne Toxic Event
2Don QuixoteTim Maia
3Pip's InvitationTriumph
4Uruk-HaiPFunk
5Raging weaselThe Pretty Reckless
6New binky the doormatDoobie Brothers
7kupcho1The Clash
8The Dreaded MarcoBuilt To Spill
9ScoresmanThe Walkman
10-OZ-Lindsey Stirling
11Mrs. RannousAnnie Lennox
12Charlie SteinerWhitney Houston
13Yo MamaYes
14John Maddens LunchboxRobyn
15MAC_32Our Lady Peace
16zamboniBee Gees
17YambagRyan Star
18landrys hatMy Morning Jacket
19Karma PoliceJourney
20Mister CIAFrederick John Elgersma
21jwbMotley Crew
22eephusJohnny Marr
23tuffnutR.E.M.
24Mt. ManCandlebox
You left me out (Jeff Tweedy).

Candlebox

Looking forward to this one. Loved Candlebox in the 90s. Saw them in concert a few years ago and Kevin Martin's voice still sounded great

Woohoo! I think I’m done with my YES list, aside from some final tinkering and fine-tuning.

To keep from including the entire track listing from just 5 albums, I’m trying to include at least one song from every album in the time range I’m using. There were a few albums I hadn’t listened to for 20-30 years, and those were fun to revisit. Not sure why their first two albums in particular fell off my radar over the years, but I really liked those and am including a number of songs from each on my list.

And with a little discipline around the super long songs, I kept the running time well below my Genesis playlist. Its still long but not 4 hours.

Batman joins other musical legends in getting a star on Hollywood Boulevard.

Batman joins other musical legends in getting a star on Hollywood Boulevard.

Doing the Batusi/Watusi to celebrate

Will push the idea I DMed about to either a theme countdown, if it happens, or an independent list in the future

For the purposes of an artist being involved in a record, does remixing something count?

Well Norman Cook was one of those I was considering, but yeah I'm thinking from mainly an electronic standpoint, like if I did pick him do I get the radio version of Brimful of Asha as eligible, that sort of thing. Artist I'm thinking of has a decent enough list of things he has produced himself but a very extensive remixing catalogue

Well Norman Cook was one of those I was considering, but yeah I'm thinking from mainly an electronic standpoint, like if I did pick him do I get the radio version of Brimful of Asha as eligible, that sort of thing. Artist I'm thinking of has a decent enough list of things he has produced himself but a very extensive remixing catalogue
In the Royksopp countdown I included their remix of Cry Baby by Spiller.
I am sure we have had a few artists picked that do a variety of stuff.
As long as zegras has said ok, im all good.
Long as its not Batman related

He's one i considered. You get the Housemartins and some other things as well.

He's one i considered. You get the Housemartins and some other things as well.
Beats International FTW

Going with Boise’s own Built To Spill
The Boise, Idaho-based indie rock band Built to Spill meet in the middle ground between postmodern, Pavement-style pop and the loose, spacious jamming of Neil Young. The group is a vehicle for singer/songwriter/guitarist Doug Martsch, who -- heavily inspired by Dinosaur Jr.'s J Mascis -- helped keep the concept of the indie guitar hero alive. On record, Martsch the arranger crafted intricate, artfully knotted tangles of guitar; in concert, his rough-edged soloing heroics earned Built to Spill a reputation as an exciting and unpredictable live act. The band formed in Boise, Idaho, in 1993, shortly after Martsch had departed the Boise-rooted, Seattle-based Treepeople. Martsch had grown up in Twin Falls, Idaho, where he formed his first band, Farm Days, with bassist Brett Nelson and drummer Andy Capps while in high school during the mid-'80s. After moving to Boise, Martsch hooked up with former members of the local hardcore punk band State of Confusion to form Treepeople, which relocated to Seattle in 1988. There they signed with the local indie C/Z and issued several albums and EPs that offered a distinctive take on early Northwestern grunge. Eventually tiring of the band's far-ranging touring commitments, Martsch departed after 1993's Just Kidding album, and despite the continuing boom of the Seattle scene, he returned to Boise to refresh himself. Their early records betrayed some punk scrappiness around the edges, but as Martsch's songwriting matured, he was able to crank out complicated, emotionally wracked songs that melted hearts as easily as they did speakers. The artistic success of 1994's There's Nothing Wrong with Love led to the band signing a deal with Warner Bros., where they released a string of albums highlighted by alt-rock classics Perfect from Now On and Keep It Like a Secret. As the '90s receded in the rearview mirror, the band kept going strong. Through numerous lineup changes and a shifting musical landscape, Martsch stayed true to his roots, and records like 2015's Untethered Moon and 2022's When the Wind Forgets Your Name sound remarkably similar to early works, only with an added element of maturity.

Users who are viewing this thread