What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Middle Aged Dummies!! Artists #1's have been posted!! (2 Viewers)

The unveiling of Freewill as Higgins' #3 Rush song means that at least one of 2112, YYZ or Red Barchetta will not be in his top 31, to which I can only say :eek:

But what do I know. My top 31 Rush is likely to contain 8 songs that don't appear in Higgins' top 31 OR in Ghost Rider's top 50.
I noticed this as well. I’m down with whatever @higgins did here. He mentioned he was tight on time. I’d have left Freewill off personally, as well as Closer to the Heart and La Villa Strangiato. I saw YYZ appear, so that means no Red Barchetta or 2112. Did Natural Science show up? Sorry I lost track, life happens and all. Thanks to @higgins for a solid list no matter what. There’s a lot to choose from, and the stuff from Signals through Counterparts that got included was highly enjoyable.
Natural Science has not shown up on Higgins' list.

You would cut La Villa Strangiato? :eek:

My Rush tastes are biased in favor of 1976-82.
Full transparency, is that I would cut LVS in favor of Red Barchetta or 2112, sure. Of course I enjoy LVS a lot, although it's a bit repetitive.

It's a tough proposition to narrow it to 31 no matter what, it's pretty easy to miss something big. Overall the list reveal was interesting and sometimes exciting, IMO.

The Hold Steady “Realistic” Dream Setlist Song 30: Stay Positive

There's gonna come a time when the true scene leaders
Forget where they differ and get big picture
'cause the kids at their shows, they'll have kids of their own
The sing-a-long songs will be our scriptures

Album: Stay Positive (song 5 of 5)

Year: 2008

# of Times Seen Live: 23 of 38 shows

The Story: This not only encapsulates the whole THS ethos but also ties in tons of references from their first four records. I won’t bore everyone with all of them but one in particular made a lot of us think that The Hold Steady were calling it quits after this album - “ ‘cause it’s one thing to start it with a positive jam and it’s another thing to see it on through…” Positive Jam is the first song on their debut record, and now they’re saying they’ve seen it through. I’m so happy we were wrong, because even if they’ve never quite matched the first four records again, there’s still been tons more great songs and so many amazing shows.
For those who haven't made the connection, my avatar also says Stay Positive.

#2 - The Tragically Hip - Ahead by a Century

When I started on this list, I talked to my friends about how they go about it and this was #1 or #2 on both their lists, it's probably the biggest singalong, the best known and it is the last song they ever played when everyone knew Gord was dying. It was the lead single from 1996's Trouble at the Henhouse, it won the Juno as the best rock song that year, the single is 8X platinum in Canada and it was a #1 radio hit here across all genres. It is a song that most everyone up here knows, loves and cherishes, it's great live, and a stone cold classic.

The Story: This not only encapsulates the whole THS ethos but also ties in tons of references from their first four records. I won’t bore everyone with all of them but one in particular made a lot of us think that The Hold Steady were calling it quits after this album - “ ‘cause it’s one thing to start it with a positive jam and it’s another thing to see it on through…” Positive Jam is the first song on their debut record, and now they’re saying they’ve seen it through. I’m so happy we were wrong, because even if they’ve never quite matched the first four records again, there’s still been tons more great songs and so many amazing shows.
This would undoubtedly be in my top 5 and the song and album is pretty meaningful in my life, I try to live by these words and take that feeling of a Hold Steady concert (or Bonnaroo with its similar "Radiate Positivity" ethos) with me in my day to day life, not always perfect. If I eventually get a tattoo it would undoubtedly be the Stay Positive image.

This would undoubtedly be in my top 5 and the song and album is pretty meaningful in my life, I try to live by these words and take that feeling of a Hold Steady concert (or Bonnaroo with its similar "Radiate Positivity" ethos) with me in my day to day life, not always perfect. If I eventually get a tattoo it would undoubtedly be the Stay Positive image.

That would be a very cool tattoo.

My 23 year-old daughter is pushing hard for both of us to get a tattoo representing an artist that is near and dear to both of us.

It would be her 12th, but my first. I’m seriously considering it.

Update on Galileo vs. The Middle-Aged Dummies British Isles Countdown. We got two more hits with "Lola" and "Living on a Thin Line," but our top five is not looking good!

1. Waterloo Sunset – 6 votes for 148 points Galileo #6

2. xxx – 2 votes for 60 points

3. xxx – 3 votes for 59 points

4. The Village Green Preservation Society – 2 votes for 57 points Galileo #21

5. xxx – 2 votes for 55 points

6. Destroyer – 2 votes for 42 points Galileo #18

TIE 7. A Well Respected Man – 1 vote for 28 points Galileo #17

TIE 7. Lola – 1 vote for 28 points Galileo #5

9. Sunny Afternoon – 1 vote for 27 points Galileo #8

10. Living on a Thin Line – 2 votes for 22 points Galileo #3

11. 20th Century Man – 1 vote for 20 points Galileo #20

TIE 12. xxx – 1 vote for 15 points

TIE 12. Come Dancing – 1 vote for 15 points Galileo #9

14. xxx – 1 vote for 4 points

15. All Day and All of the Night – 1 vote for 1 point Galileo #13
:bag: Ha ha... Well, I am pretty sure I'll knock out one more with my #1. I told you I had a couple oddballs in the top 5 (Muswell Hillbilly and Better Things). I can probably predict what I am missing as there are a couple of traditionally popular tracks in Kinks lists that have slid down my board. I will predict that one of them is currently at #49 on my list. It is an absolutely solid song, but I don't get the same rush from it that others seem to get. Also I am not as sophisticated as others and I like a lot of the quirky stuff from the catalogue. As far as the other 2 in the top 5, I have several candidates in mind. There is just too big of a body of work to squeeze into 31. I suspect those other 2 are in my top 50.

Last edited:
Same here, NV. I tend toward cynicism but THS has played a huge part in moderating my outlook. Whenever I get too far into my own head, listening to Separation Sunday or Stay Positive always seems to be the perfect remedy for pulling me out of a funk.

I've said the the same thing about the THS tattoo - lot's of them to go around at the shows these days.

The worst part about returning from vacation has to be the hundreds and hundreds of work emails to sift through. Luckily, 85 percent can be immediately deleted so I'm working my way through. Definitely not the case with the MAD playlists though - i managed to listen a bit in dribs and drabs but wasn't able to give #3 - #6 (I think) the attention they deserve. I'll definitely plow through them later this week but for now I started back up again with the 2s.

Brandi Carlile/The Story - Wow. I can see why this is the song that broke her big.

Genesis/Firth of Fifth - at some point after college, I was visiting a HS musician friend that got me into Rush and Marillion and this was playing. I asked who it was and when he told me Genesis, I was like "Seriously, the Phil Collins/Invisible Touch guys?" Honestly had no idea until I was in my mid-20s that Peter Gabriel was in Genesis. No shock for anyone here, I'm sure.

Rush/YYZ - No matter how old I get, I'll still send a picture of my "YYZ" boarding pass to several old Rush-nerd friends when I fly through Toronto.

Green Day/Hitchin' A Ride - I've posted before that I felt just 2-3 years too old for Green Day when they broke (it's what the freshman were listening to) and then never really connected with them as they got better. This live version is absolutely amazing - makes me regret missing out.

The Stranglers/Golden Brown - my favorite of theirs so far.

Ryan Adams/To Be Young... - Always loved this song, except when they used it in Old School. Not that I dislike Old School, but this was way too good for it.

Warren Zevon/Play It All Night Long - Another great WZ tune, and one that always helps take Drive-By Truckers shows to the next level when they cover it.

Gorillaz/Feel Good Inc. - Is it possible to not get a little spring in your step when hearing this?

Ray Charles/Georgia on My Mind - I've asked this before about Ray, but does it get any better than this?

Bruce Springsteen/Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out - Epitomizes the whole Boss/E-Street thing, doesn't it?

Prodigy/Breathe - When this came on this morning on the dog walk, I inadvertently let out a Beavis-voiced "Yes!!!!"

Last edited:
Some favorites from los dos:

July, July!---impressive how Meloy can turn a one syllable word into a three syllable word so effortlessly. One of his best.
Angeles - such an under-appreciated artist/singer-songwriter. Another gem.
Stay Positive - I'm not getting that tattoo but love the song.
There Goes The Fear - my #1 Doves song......
I Summon You - this was #19 in my Spoon rankings, such a great song and band.
Everlong - not a Foos fanatic but this is a fantastic song.
Breathe - I don't listen to the Prodigy very often anymore but when I hear a few of their songs, like this one, I remember that I should.

Knew 15 of the 2's by name.
Now for a partial trip through the playlist.
The Story- this was really good
Message in a Bottle - great song but prefer album version
Heart in the Hand of the Matter- didn't recognize by name but remembered it. This is the only TOD disc I ever bought and liked it a lot at the time. Probably 15 years since I've heard it last
UFOF- another winner from them!
Chicago- didn't think this would be the band with a multi song track listed this high. Recognized Colour My World and Now More Than Ever and also liked the first track
Golden Brown- this sounded really familiar,loved it!
Frontline - never heard this. Funky and political
Ready to Explode- that was epic !
Grab It- opening guitar grabs you by the neck and pulls you in
Play It All Night Long- love the guitar in this
Stay Positive- liked this better than most of the rest. Was that positive enough?
Georgia on my Mind- an all time classic!
I Summon You- didn't recognize it but was already ❤️ on Spotify. Still like it alot
Rose Garden Funeral of Sores- didn't know this was live until the end. The sound was great and so is this song, fav so far!
Magic Man- my fav by them!
Ahead by a Century - love The Hip but not sure this makes my top 10. Still awesome though!

Deadmau5 - the beginning made me think of Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Just the number 1's left to go!

Hold On Tight

For ELO, even though my list was mostly random, the last two songs were puposely placed. I meant them to lead off the list with the earliest then the latest (which kind of gives away the #1)
I was hoping that what appears to be #1 would show up. It was easily their best track pre-Showdown.

Reactions: jwb
Rose Garden Funeral of Sores- didn't know this was live until the end. The sound was great and so is this song, fav so far!

🤘

#2 Rose Garden Funeral Of Sores

i had included some live versions of a few of the songs in my writeups (if i put the album cut on the list), but this one, along with "Bela", just screamed "LIVE VERSION!" when i were slotting them.

as i alluded to in my "Swing The Heartache" post, these top tier choices really lean towards Peter and Daniel - their chemistry were undeniable, as were their rivalry ... and this live cut are like a duel being carried out at 5 paces ... Peter with mic, Danny with axe - playing off of each other's marvelous eccentricities, until it all culminates with Danny (literally) screaming in Peter's face - touché, indeed 🦇

but the journey to get there is so singularly Bauhaus - David & Kevin striking such a brutally gorgeous backbeat - David's lines are so crucial here, he may not be as funky and slippery as some of the earlier tunes, but his timing and fretwork are as on point as ever delivered ... the whole affair are grandiose, bombastic cacophony - but, man, Danny are so savage ... had to be to upstage Peter, and i think he succeeded.

that live version are certainly faster paced than the studio cut, which are so thick and emblematic - the bleak and frozen atmospherics helped stamp "In The Flat Field" as a platter worthy of it's post-punk vanguard status, and it's chilling production even leaves Joy Division in it's wake.

John Cale's original hadt only been released a year prior to the lads covering it - they certainly knew how to butter their bread, and made no bones about wearing it proudly ... so we had Eno (Third Uncle), Bowie (Ziggy), and now Cale ... they were big Velvet honks, naturally - so glad they chose to tackle this one, as it were so fresh back in '80 ... they stamped it.

🦇🦇🦇🦇🦇🦇🦇🦇🦇🦇🦇🦇

I think we might have saved the longest playlist for last! :lmao:
Can't blame me this time. The #1 Chicago is not a suite. :laugh:
There are some seriously long Phish songs that haven't surfaced, so we can blame @shuke
Quick scan had 8 songs at 8mins+, and I think some of the artists will surprise.
My #1 Modest Mouse song ends shortly after 7 minutes. But the Spotify and YouTube versions play on for 2+ more minutes of silence.

You can cut it off at 7:10, if you’re still listening at that point. 😀

There are some seriously long Phish songs that haven't surfaced, so we can blame @shuke
Quick scan had 8 songs at 8mins+, and I think some of the artists will surprise.
My #1 Modest Mouse song ends shortly after 7 minutes. But the Spotify and YouTube versions play on for 2+ more minutes of silence.

You can cut it off at 7:10, if you’re still listening at that point. 😀
4hrs and 33mins!! ;)

If we’re heading out an epic note, can you flip my song to the extended Jorge Ben Jor & Gilberto Gil version of it? Let’s see how far we can go.

Last edited:
Yeah I can replace mine with a live version that takes it from 11 to 13 minutes. It’s a song that needs to be heard live anyway.

4hrs and 35mins is the run time for final playlist. :lol:

I gave our playlist a fitting long Title.
Relatively speaking I certainly did my part (spoiler?). If the scattered storms don't connect and Z posts by 8:30 I'll probably spin at least some of it with the rest of you, but... 4 1/2 hours? :lol:

Some #2 thoughts:

Take It Easy My Brother Charles is fun.
The Story is excellent. I can see why it did what it did for Carlile's career trajectory.
Hoppipolla and UFOF were pretty good. Both a bit different from what we usually get from their respective artists.
Would've Could've Should've is devastating. "The wound won't close, I keep on waiting for a sign / I regret you all the time". Damn. May be her second-most "important" song after All Too Well.
Love the vocal on Angeles. Elliott Smith's voice is perfect for his material. It's so vulnerable.
I recognize Golden Brown now that I've heard it. Much more keys/synth than I would have expected from them.
To Be Young sounds like Dylan. A lot.
This is the first time I've heard Front Line. The only Stevie CDs I physically had were Songs in the Key of Life and the At the Close of a Century box set. Everything else I know, I found through exploring online. Front Line was the only new song on Original Musiquarium I that didn't appear on At the Close of a Century, and I never came across it otherwise. Great lyrics and melody, and excellent guitar work, but the drum machines irritate me a little.
Ready to Explode indeed lives up to its title.
Bad News has the unusual combination of slide guitar and mellotron. I like.
Ghost may be the grunge-iest we have heard from Clutch so far.
Grab It is pretty punchy by Dino Jr. standards.
Headlong is a fun rocker.

Heading to bed and I'll try to get to the rest of it tomorrow.

Please remember, I want the five minute version of my song.

Please remember, I want the five minute version of my song.
Not long enough, so I took it off the playlist. ;)

This is the first time I've heard Front Line. The only Stevie CDs I physically had were Songs in the Key of Life and the At the Close of a Century box set. Everything else I know, I found through exploring online. Front Line was the only new song on Original Musiquarium I that didn't appear on At the Close of a Century, and I never came across it otherwise. Great lyrics and melody, and excellent guitar work, but the drum machines irritate me a little.
A lot of his 80s stuff has that damned drum machine. I'm not fond of it, either. When I describe a song as sounding "tinny", that's usually the culprit.

"Front Line" got very little, if any, airplay. I honestly can't recall at this point if I ever heard it on the radio.

Foo FightersJust Win BabyEverlong

Everlong is the second song I chose from The Colour And The Shape, the Foos' 2nd studio album. The song peaked at #3 on the Billboard US Alternative Rock chart and #4 on the US Mainstream Rock chart... kind of surprising it didn't reach #1.

This is the band's signature song. It has been performed live in all but 4 of their full-length concerts since it was released in 1997, and they usually close their concerts with it. (Kind of surprised at that... I would be pretty disappointed to go to a Foos concert and not hear it.) It was the last song Taylor Hawkins played in concert before his death.

Dave has said this about the song:

"I knew it was a cool song, but I didn't think it would be the one song by which most people recognise the band. And I think it was the first time people had ever quoted lyrics to me, like, 'That song is beautiful! That line where you say 'Breath out so I can breath you in .. .'' Chicks would come up and recite that to me. That song's about a girl that I'd fallen in love with and it was basically about being connected to someone so much, that not only do you love them physically and spiritually, but when you sing along with them you harmonise perfectly."

Here are a bunch of videos:
In 2020, Kerrang ranked the top 20 all-time Foo Fighters songs and ranked Everlong #1. This is their writeup:

It might be a predictable choice, but with Foo Fighters there really can only be one number one. Penned over one of the lowest periods in Dave Grohl’s life – Christmas 1996, when he had just divorced photographer Jennifer Youngblood, was crashing on a friend’s couch and faced an uncertain future with the Foos – Everlong is an irresistible, reminiscent testament to the power of love (even when just remembered) in lighting the darkness. Accompanied initially by an excellent Evil Dead-aping music video, the track has grown into a massive live favourite over the years, whether performed with the full band or by Dave solo. Legendary Late Show host David Letterman considered it his favourite song, and had the band on to perform it at several pivotal moments towards the end of his career. Even better, the mighty Bob Dylan once complimented Dave on its brilliance, suggesting that he might even learn Everlong himself. Praise doesn’t come much higher than that.

In 2023, Consequence of Sound ranked what they characterized as all 156 Foo Fighters songs up to that point, ranking Everlong #1. Here is an excerpt from their writeup:

Dave Grohl wrote the song’s lyrics while his marriage crumbled around him and he fell in love with another woman. He had both nothing and everything to lose. His (and later Taylor Hawkins’) hissing ride on the hi-hit adds further urgency, and by the end, the risk could apply to anything: divorce, forming a band, heart surgery.

“Everlong” will always be universal. It will always be about risk, about holding your breath and leaping into the unknown. Everyone loves it, and, for once, everyone is right.

Earlier this year (2014 article was updated "4 years ago" but includes songs from their album released this year), Spin ranked what they characterized as all 152 Foo Fighters songs up to that point, ranking Everlong #1. Here is their writeup:

“Everlong” is the all-time greatest Foo Fighters song the way that Michael Jordan is the all-time greatest Chicago Bull — maybe it’s not impossible that you could try to argue otherwise, but dude, c’mon. Of all the grunge-derived bands to light the way for the alt-rock ’90s, Dave’s other band is maybe the only one who wouldn’t swap their best song for “Everlong” in a heartbeat — four minutes of untold amounts of mystery, romance, fear and amazement in one tightly coiled pop song.

The wonder of “Everlong” is that it simultaneously functions as both a song about exciting new love and persisting romantic disillusionment. Written for a new girlfriend after Grohl’s first marriage ended in divorce, the song has the rapid heartbeat and tangible emotional rush of a just-burgeoning romance, but is still cloaked in dread and doubt thanks to the previous relationship’s fallout. The crush of “Everlong” is in the battle between the two sensations, the new love ultimately (maybe? hopefully?) triumphing at song’s end with the piercing drum-and-guitar breakout of the final “ANNNND IIIII WOOONDERRR…..” It’s moving, it’s adrenaline-raising, it’s huge-sounding, it’s incredibly intimate, and it’s all-around awe-inspiring. It’s the band’s best riff — best couple of riffs — their best crashing drum part, their best verse, their best chorus, their best pre-chorus, their best climactic build, their best production, their best best BEST music video, their best intro, their best final sustain, their best incomprehensible bridge murmuring.

I love this song! :wub:
Not only is everlong my favorite song by them... its one of the best rock song of all time

Last edited:
Foo FightersJust Win BabyEverlong

Everlong is the second song I chose from The Colour And The Shape, the Foos' 2nd studio album. The song peaked at #3 on the Billboard US Alternative Rock chart and #4 on the US Mainstream Rock chart... kind of surprising it didn't reach #1.

This is the band's signature song. It has been performed live in all but 4 of their full-length concerts since it was released in 1997, and they usually close their concerts with it. (Kind of surprised at that... I would be pretty disappointed to go to a Foos concert and not hear it.) It was the last song Taylor Hawkins played in concert before his death.

Dave has said this about the song:

"I knew it was a cool song, but I didn't think it would be the one song by which most people recognise the band. And I think it was the first time people had ever quoted lyrics to me, like, 'That song is beautiful! That line where you say 'Breath out so I can breath you in .. .'' Chicks would come up and recite that to me. That song's about a girl that I'd fallen in love with and it was basically about being connected to someone so much, that not only do you love them physically and spiritually, but when you sing along with them you harmonise perfectly."

Here are a bunch of videos:
In 2020, Kerrang ranked the top 20 all-time Foo Fighters songs and ranked Everlong #1. This is their writeup:

It might be a predictable choice, but with Foo Fighters there really can only be one number one. Penned over one of the lowest periods in Dave Grohl’s life – Christmas 1996, when he had just divorced photographer Jennifer Youngblood, was crashing on a friend’s couch and faced an uncertain future with the Foos – Everlong is an irresistible, reminiscent testament to the power of love (even when just remembered) in lighting the darkness. Accompanied initially by an excellent Evil Dead-aping music video, the track has grown into a massive live favourite over the years, whether performed with the full band or by Dave solo. Legendary Late Show host David Letterman considered it his favourite song, and had the band on to perform it at several pivotal moments towards the end of his career. Even better, the mighty Bob Dylan once complimented Dave on its brilliance, suggesting that he might even learn Everlong himself. Praise doesn’t come much higher than that.

In 2023, Consequence of Sound ranked what they characterized as all 156 Foo Fighters songs up to that point, ranking Everlong #1. Here is an excerpt from their writeup:

Dave Grohl wrote the song’s lyrics while his marriage crumbled around him and he fell in love with another woman. He had both nothing and everything to lose. His (and later Taylor Hawkins’) hissing ride on the hi-hit adds further urgency, and by the end, the risk could apply to anything: divorce, forming a band, heart surgery.

“Everlong” will always be universal. It will always be about risk, about holding your breath and leaping into the unknown. Everyone loves it, and, for once, everyone is right.

Earlier this year (2014 article was updated "4 years ago" but includes songs from their album released this year), Spin ranked what they characterized as all 152 Foo Fighters songs up to that point, ranking Everlong #1. Here is their writeup:

“Everlong” is the all-time greatest Foo Fighters song the way that Michael Jordan is the all-time greatest Chicago Bull — maybe it’s not impossible that you could try to argue otherwise, but dude, c’mon. Of all the grunge-derived bands to light the way for the alt-rock ’90s, Dave’s other band is maybe the only one who wouldn’t swap their best song for “Everlong” in a heartbeat — four minutes of untold amounts of mystery, romance, fear and amazement in one tightly coiled pop song.

The wonder of “Everlong” is that it simultaneously functions as both a song about exciting new love and persisting romantic disillusionment. Written for a new girlfriend after Grohl’s first marriage ended in divorce, the song has the rapid heartbeat and tangible emotional rush of a just-burgeoning romance, but is still cloaked in dread and doubt thanks to the previous relationship’s fallout. The crush of “Everlong” is in the battle between the two sensations, the new love ultimately (maybe? hopefully?) triumphing at song’s end with the piercing drum-and-guitar breakout of the final “ANNNND IIIII WOOONDERRR…..” It’s moving, it’s adrenaline-raising, it’s huge-sounding, it’s incredibly intimate, and it’s all-around awe-inspiring. It’s the band’s best riff — best couple of riffs — their best crashing drum part, their best verse, their best chorus, their best pre-chorus, their best climactic build, their best production, their best best BEST music video, their best intro, their best final sustain, their best incomprehensible bridge murmuring.

I love this song! :wub:
Not only is everlong my favorite song by them... its the best rock song of all time
It's an absolute beauty for sure. Taylor is just beast mode on it (or is it Dave?)

All the following would be in top 5's for each artist:

Message in a Bottle
Good Times are Killing Me- Have one, have twenty more "one mores" man that lyric reminds me so much of my hard drinking days
Pride and Joy
Aja
To Be Young
Down in a Hole
Back in Black
Feel Good Inc
Everlong
Tenth Ave. Freezeout
Magic Man
Rocket Man

Cant wait for the #1's!

I listened to the #3 playlist.

Excluding my own song, I already knew that I liked these songs:
  • Police - Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic
  • SRV - The Sky Is Crying
  • Stevie Wonder - Superstition
  • Alice In Chains - Would?
  • AC/DC - Thunderstruck
  • Simon & Garfunkel - The Sound of Silence
Once I listened to it, I realized I knew and liked this song, just didn't remember it by name:
  • Chicago - Beginnings
On first listen to this playlist, these were the unfamiliar songs I liked the best:
  • Brandi Carlile - Party Of One
  • Daft Punk - Da Funk
  • Ryan Adams - Anybody Wanna Take Me Home
  • deadmau5, Chris James - The Veldt
Not sure I liked this playlist as much as #4, but still very good!

I have been putting the songs I identify in these posts in a spreadsheet. I'm up to 262 songs. So far that group of songs includes at least one song from 41 of the 45 artists in the countdown other than mine.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread