What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Middle Aged Dummies!! Artists #1's have been posted!! (3 Viewers)

#1 Let There Be Rock (Let There Be Rock)

This song just makes me want to jump up and down, shake my head, pound my fist. A must play at high volume. My list is not ranked but this one is where I would rank it - as were the previous 3. I’ve linked the live version from If You Want Blood because it’s best live.

I feel it perfectly encapsulates the AC/DC sound. A rathee long song by their standards but mostly due to an extended guitar solo.

Official YouTube video

Foo Fighters covered this one

Some news and notes from around the world

“In spite of its appearing to be nothing more than a typically mindless rock anthem, this is actually quite a sophisticated track:

In the beginning
Back in 1955
The white man had the schmaltz
The black man had the blues

is an allusion to the birth of rock 'n' roll. The genre developed from boogie woogie; the first rock 'n' roll song is generally acknowledged to be "Rocket 88," to which Ike Turner was a very unlikely contributor considering the way his music was to develop, but then the two men who gave rock 'n' roll to the world in the first instance were if anything even more unlikely. There was the white man - who had performed as Yodelling Bill Haley - and the black man, a qualified beautician named Chuck Berry. Both Haley's "Rock Around The Clock" and Berry's "Maybellene" were released in 1955, and as they say, the rest is history.”

An anthem for the band, AC/DC has played this song at every concert since 1978. They often play it very fast and the solo can be extended all the way to 20 minutes as Angus rises above the stage and does the "spasm."

Angus Young said of this song: "I remember the amp literally exploded during the recording session. My brother watched it with crazed eyes, and he told me 'Come on! Keep on playing!' while the stuff was steaming."

Album breakdown
1 74 Jailbreak
6 High Voltage
3 Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
4 Let There Be Rock
3 PowerAge
4 Highway To Hell
——— Brian Johnson ——
4 Back in Black
1 For Those About To Rock (We Salute You)
1 Flick of the Switch
0 Fly On The Wall
1 Who Made Who
1 Blow Up Your Video
1 The Razor’s Edge
0 BallBreaker
1 Stiff Upper Lip
0 Black Ice
0 Rock or Bust
0 Power Up

#1 - Ray Charles - What'd I Say, Pt. 1 & 2

During a concert back in 1958, Ray had a little more time left before his set was to end so he made up a song to finish out the night, and the band and The Raelettes just followed his lead. The crowd loved it. Ray loved that they loved it, so he wrote and recorded this improvised tune in 1959. He made it a single with part of it on one side, and the other part on the other side. It was put on his 1959 album of the same name. The song is considered by many as the official birth of soul. My favorite thing about it is Ray is having a good time.

Thanks to all of those who listened to the songs I chose from Ray Charles Robinson. He was so special, and such an innovator in so many ways. 😎

Thanks to Zegras for running this, and to everyone that participated in all forms in the thread. I've enjoyed a ton of music in here.

I have no idea if Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters is Elton John’s greatest song, but it’s certainly my favorite of all time. I love everything about it: the music, the lyrics, the sweet mandolin beginning in the second verse. For me it’s perfection.

I enjoyed this. I still have a lot of music to listen to.
It's a great song. That entire album, Honky Chateau, is of of the best ever

I have no idea if Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters is Elton John’s greatest song, but it’s certainly my favorite of all time. I love everything about it: the music, the lyrics, the sweet mandolin beginning in the second verse. For me it’s perfection.

I enjoyed this. I still have a lot of music to listen to.
My #1 Elton song as well. Had it #2 overall in the MAD European thread. Just a phenomenal song beginning to end.

:bag: Ha ha... Well, I am pretty sure I'll knock out one more with my #1. I told you I had a couple oddballs in the top 5 (Muswell Hillbilly and Better Things). I can probably predict what I am missing as there are a couple of traditionally popular tracks in Kinks lists that have slid down my board. I will predict that one of them is currently at #49 on my list. It is an absolutely solid song, but I don't get the same rush from it that others seem to get. Also I am not as sophisticated as others and I like a lot of the quirky stuff from the catalogue. As far as the other 2 in the top 5, I have several candidates in mind. There is just too big of a body of work to squeeze into 31. I suspect those other 2 are in my top 50.

You nailed this prediction!

I liked-to-loved all songs on the #3s playlist, with one exception that I won't mention. :lol:
Does it rhyme with Dealy Stan? :laugh:

Speaking of which, The Guardian had a profile of your and OH's friend Steve Albini today. https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...erson-is-on-your-side-youre-on-the-wrong-side. He still hates Steely Dan even more than you two do.

It did not rhyme with that!

Funny, for a long time I didn't know OH hated Steely Dan as much as I did, later I learned that Steve hated them more than both of us combined! I was prepared to give the two-minute treatment to all of the Fagen songs in this countdown, but I found some I really did enjoy. I'll be crowning a "new-to-me favorite song" from each artist once I get through my last five playlists, and while the rest of you will have already moved on to the next countdown.

I also wonder if Robert Lamm was tapping the Spencer Davis Group again. The band was covering I'm a Man in its live sets frequently, and I wonder if he was thinking of the opening of SDG's other big U.S. hit, Gimme Some Lovin', when penning this -- take the final note off of Gimme Some Lovin's opening riff and you have something similar.

This is a really good comparison!

Run Runaway - Slade

This is and ever shall be my favorite song by Slade. If Mr R and I have a song, this is it. Before we were dating, he was sort of dipping his toe into the waters. Unbeknownst to me, this was a test record. He was really hoping I liked rock. One night when he was driving me home, he put this CD in the player. He was stunned when I stared singing along.

Me singing along to random stuff turned out to be a theme. I tend to know the lyrics to stuff I've heard more than once. This included the Hew Haw songs on the ad for their DVD collection. My hour of glory came when the brand-new, never-before-seen, world premiere video from the movie Wayne's World came out. Tia Carrere stared singing, and I belted out "Ballroom Blitz". Mr R looked at me like I'd turned plaid. He had no idea who Sweet was. I also had the pleasure of telling him that "Red Red WIne" by UB40 was a cover. He is a bit younger than me and raised in the Texas back woods where they had two kinds of music- country and western. (He has since caught up.)

Last edited:
A few special shout-outs for the #2s:

- Loved the live versions of "Message in a Bottle" and "Hitchin' a Ride."

- The Chicago suite of songs was something. I think I only knew two of them so loved listening to the whole kit and kaboodle.

- Some of the strongest new-to-me showings from Clutch and Slade.

- I do not understand what the time signature(s) is/are on the Stranglers' "Golden Brown," and I LOVE THAT.

PhishshukeThe Divided Sky

Basically an instrumental outside of a few chanted lines, this may be my favorite piece of music.

I'll let phish.net give the details below (here is the rhombus in question). I will say that I am not personally a huge fan of the long pause discussed in the 7th paragraph. Probably because the majority of the Phish I listened to in my formative years were from shows taped in the early 90's, before the pause got too long. You want to see some music nerdom, here is a plot of the pause lengths over time.

Arguably Phish’s melodic masterpiece, “Divided Sky” is one of the most beloved songs in the Phish canon and has been responsible for converting many into fans. The version of “Divided Sky” that appears on Junta marks a distinct compositional time period for Trey (though its roots are much older), and while rarely a vehicle for experimental improvisation, it has provided ample opportunity for each of the band members to develop unique solos within the framework.

According to Parke Puterbaugh's Phish: The Biography, "Divided Sky" was originally titled "Log" because Trey used pieces of firewood to lay down the initial percussion tracks. Trey has stated that the song was written at The Rhombus with Tom Marshall and Marc Daubert, during Trey’s first year at Mercer Community College on a night enhanced by psychedelic mushrooms. Trey once said that the inspiration came while looking at parting clouds, but he has also stated that the chant originated during a bonfire inside The Rhombus while he, Tom, Marc, and perhaps others were playing a percussion jam. Apparently Trey threw an acoustic guitar down on the ground and began beating on it, chanting “Divided Sky.” According to Marshall, they began chanting it on top of The Rhombus after noticing that the sky appeared divided into a light half and a dark half caused by the lighting of a nearby chapel tower.

The exact truth is likely lost forever in a haze of caps and stems, but the true origin of “Divided Sky” begins years earlier when Trey and his mother wrote Christmas songs together. They had written a musical called Gus the Christmas Dog, and two themes from that musical were lifted to form parts of “Divided Sky”: “There’s a Christmas Star” (which forms the melodic “lullaby” section) and “Gus” (which became the melody for the end of the song.)

“Divided Sky” – along with other Trey-penned “epics” such as “You Enjoy Myself,” “Fluffhead,” “David Bowie,” and “Reba” – reflects the compositional influence of the late Ernie Stires, and the main melody is one of the most recognizable instrumental hooks in the Phish repertoire.

Like “Punch You In The Eye,” “Llama,” and “McGrupp,” “Divided Sky” is not a part of Trey’s The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday Senior Study, but is included in the Gamehendge mythos. As written in the Junta liner notes, three individuals are chosen (through a Secret Agenda known only to a select few, but the three are Mike, Trey and Page for the time being) to climb the rhombus in the middle of a field to offer tribute to Icculus by singing the chant, “Divided Sky, the wind blows high.”

After the chant, the song moves into a section often referred to as the “Mary Had a Little Lamb” or "Palindrome" segment, which is comprised of an intricate note pattern over a shifting time signature – this segment is played, then played backwards (check the Junta CD at about 1:15 into the song). Coming out of this into what Mike has described as a Pat Metheny-influenced section, Phish begins the build towards their “tension and release” style of playing, and culminating in a Trey-led section into the main theme of the song.

After the main theme is presented, there is a pause in the song before Trey plays a theme-resolving note. Trey has described in several early ’90s interviews that during this pause, he can hear the jam continuing in his head. He has also described the pause as an exercise in audience behavioral study, as the pause almost always results in three waves of audience cheers – the first soon after the pause, the second about 30 seconds later (this cheer often contains a certain degree of uncertainty and builds tension) and the final cheer being the release for the audience and the cue for Trey to hit the last note and continue into the song. The length of the pause has increased over the years to the point where some fans have become critical that the it “ruins the flow of the song.”

When "Divided Sky" debuted in 1987, it clocked in at about four minutes and was missing all of the music after the pause. That's because the music that now forms the heart of "Divided Sky" was appended to "No Dogs Allowed," another song from the Gus the Christmas Dog musical Trey wrote with his mother (check out the version on Colorado '88 for an example). After the 3/21/88 performance of "Divided Sky," the song went on a six month hiatus, during which time "No Dogs Allowed" was being played with the "Divided Sky" ending. However, on 9/24/88, the band debuted the complete "Divided Sky" that we know and love (and "No Dogs Allowed" became a four-minute ditty, before fading into obscurity).

Part 2 (I didn't realize we had a character limit here).

“Divided Sky” also holds a unique place in Phish history as one of only two songs (the other being “Esther”) that sparked a video treatment in the early 1990s. The same company who produced the “Esther” video (played only once at the Somerville Theatre in 1991) also presented an idea for a video for “Divided Sky” to the band. Apparently, prototypes were designed by a woman associated with that video company for inclusion in the “Divided Sky” video, but the green light to proceed was not forthcoming. The band at the time was considering including both videos on the Elektra reissue of Junta, but that ultimately never came to pass, and it is unlikely that Elektra had anything to do with the funding or making of either video.

Phish played “Divided Sky” very frequently from 1990 to 1994. 1995 and 1996 showed a distinct drop in frequency and the song was played only sporadically through October 2000, and with considerably less accuracy than the Phish of the early 90s. While "Divided Sky" was played with greater frequency in the 2003-04 period, it continued to suffer from accuracy issues. However, when Phish returned to the stage in 2009, they did so with a renewed emphasis on nailing their epic compositions, an approach exemplified by choosing the tandem of "Fluffhead" and "Divided Sky" to open their first show back on 3/6/09.

Notable versions of "Divided Sky" include 7/21/91 (with the Giant Country Horns), 3/17/92, 7/15/92, 11/27/92, 8/14/93 (Live Phish 07) 8/20/93, 10/29/94, 10/31/94 (Live Phish 13), 6/17/95, 8/13/96 (Live Phish 12), 8/16/96, 8/2/98, 11/21/98 (on HCA), 12/29/98 (encore), and 7/10/03. Of particular note are the versions played on 7/10/03 (which featured an unusual serene jam towards the end of the song, resulting in a version that clocked in at over 19 minutes) and 6/7/11 (with very unique staccato playing from Trey during the latter part of the song). Other versions of note in the 3.0 era include 8/10/10 in majestic Telluride, CO, 7/17/13 in Alpharetta, GA, and 8/22/15 at Magnaball.

Run Run Away - Slade

This is and ever shall be my favorite song by Slade. If Mr R and I have a song, this is it. Before we were dating, he was sort of dipping his toe into the waters. Unbeknownst to me, this was a test record. He was really hoping I liked rock. One night when he was driving me home, he put this CD in the player. He was stunned when I stared singing along.

Me singing along to random stuff turned out to be a theme. I tend to know the lyrics to stuff I've heard more than once. This included the Hew Haw songs on the ad for their DVD collection. My hour of glory came when the brand-new, never-before-seen, world premiere video from the movie Wayne's World came out. Tia Carrere stared singing, and I belted out "Ballroom Blitz". Mr R looked at me like I'd turned plaid. He had no idea who Sweet was. I also had the pleasure of telling him that "Red Red WIne" by UB40 was a cover. He is a bit younger than me and raised in the Texas back woods where they had two kinds of music- country and western. (He has since caught up.)

There are a handful of things that I would immediately think of if I was asked what I associated with 1984-1985. This video would be one of them.

The #1 lineup is insane, as we all suspected it would be. Yes, even the ELO song that was Binky'd. Random thoughts on the known-to-me songs:

Open My Eyes is my #2 Todd and one of the best psych rockers of the '60s. If Todd had chosen to go this route for his entire career, he would have been successful, but instead he chose to explore ... everything, and we are richer for it. I took it in the Jukebox draft. Binky took it in the This Is Their Best Song Draft (aka The Smiths Go to College).

I remember the other version of Taj Mahal from the worldwide countdown. This version is just as thrilling. Two masters at work.

Synchronicity II is not in my pantheon of top Police songs but it is a ferocious rocker. I can't say I'm surprised to see it #1 here given how much love it got in the worldwide countdown.

Watcher of the Skies is one of my favorites from Genesis and one of the greatest accomplishments of the Gabriel years. The mellotron at the beginning signals we are in for a grand experience, the rumbling bass bounces around in your head unforgettably and the organ punctuates Gabriel's proclamations brilliantly.

Another Morning Stoner is the most melodic song from TOD's Source Tags and Codes and one of its crowning achievements. The drumming is ridiculous. "What is forgiveness? / It's just a dream / What is forgiveness? / It's everything" is one of my favorite lyrics of the '00s. My #1 TOD is the song that precedes it, It Was There That I Saw You.

You Really Got Me is enormously influential and sounds just as revolutionary today as it must have in the '60s. Without it, we probably don't get songs like Open My Eyes.

2112 is my #1 Rush song (and Ghost Rider's) and I ranked it #2 in the worldwide countdown. What I said there:

You knew something like this was coming from me. This song and the album it came from is why Rush was able to have the career they did. After three albums of Zeppelinesque hard rock, with prog touches added after Neil Peart joined starting with the second record, Rush had a cult following but little mainstream success. Their label was getting impatient and told them that they would be dropped unless their fourth album performed significantly better. Most bands in that situation would have tailored their sounds to the musical trends of the day to try to garner airplay and sales. But Rush decided that if their career was going to end, they were going to go out on their own terms, and made the album they wanted to make.

Alex Lifeson: "I remember having these conversations about, 'What are we going to do? Are we going to try to make another mini-Led Zeppelin record or are we going to do what we are going to do and continue forward and whatever happens, happens?' ... We fully intended to [not] go down in flames but we were prepared to do that."

For the title track of 2112, which takes up all of side 1, Peart concocted a storyline that blended the principles of Ayn Rand with those of Pete Townshend's Lifehouse concept. That's all well and good, but to me the reason why this stands as Rush's greatest work is its music, which found ways to fuse hard rock and prog in ways that hadn't been done up to that point. Lifeson's guitar work is otherworldly and the arrangements convey all kinds of different moods expertly.

People connected with the album and its epic title track instantly. Within 3 months of its release, the album had outsold the band's first three records combined, and to date it is the band's second-biggest seller after Moving Pictures. Most importantly, it established Rush as a band that could draw record buyers and concertgoers consistently, and enabled them to have artistic freedom for the rest of their career. When Ghost Rider did his Rush countdown on this board, he ranked the title track of 2112 at the top, and no one disputed it. (Leaving Working Man out of his top 50 was another story.)

Do It Again is extremely musically ambitious and thus not something you'd think would be a band's first single, but it was, and was a hit. Only in the '70s. The electric sitar and "plastic keyboard" solos still get me bopping even though I've heard them a squillion times. I remember being amused that the FM stations I listened to played two songs called Do It Again -- this one and The Kinks' -- and it's fitting they both appeared in this countdown.

Jesus of Suburbia is a punk epic -- which is kind of an oxymoron, but Lord, does it ever work.

Living for the City is stunning. Its musical and cultural importance is unfathomably large. I don't have anything else to say that would explain it better than Uruk did.

Run Runaway is a banger, and its manic video is still imprinted on my brain all these years later.

I definitely don't have anything to add about Divided Sky beyond Shuke's essay, so I'll just repost the note I wrote when Shuke ranked it #2 in the US countdown:

For pedantic grammar people:
Old-school Phish fans like Shuke and myself refer to this as Divided Sky, because that's how it was labeled on the CDs Elektra pressed in the early 90s of the first Phish album, Junta. But on live albums starting in the late '90s and on streaming services, it's labeled as The Divided Sky. No idea why there's a discrepancy. "Silly hippies" is as good an explanation as any.

I had 10538 Overture in my 1971 countdown. What I said there:

41. 10538 Overture -- Electric Light Orchestra (from Electric Light Orchestra aka No Answer)

For their first album, ELO had almost exactly the same lineup as the final incarnation of The Move, and went to great lengths to differentiate themselves, combining rock and orchestration after being inspired by the Beatles. Most of the first album (which was never intended to have a name, but whose US version got titled No Answer when the band's US label called its UK label to ask that question, did not get a response, and the note saying "No Answer" was mistaken for the album title) is too baroque for my tastes, but 10538 Overture, its first track and lead single, is a fantastic example of orchestral psych rock. As lovely as the cellos and horns sound, the top-notch riffage and melody are what carry the song. Jeff Lynne and co would soon refine this blend to become one of the most commercially successful bands of the '70s.

Don't Follow is intense even by AIC standards.

Fat Bottomed Girls is a ton of fun, the beginning of the chorus especially.

What'd I Say is my #1 Ray and is full of the raw energy that distinguished music in the second half of the 20th century. It's also extremely salacious for the time period. They're basically simulating orgasms.

Bridge Over Troubled Water (previously referred to as THAT song) is one of the most emotional pieces you'll ever hear. It's impossible not to get chills when it comes on. This goes for Aretha's version too.

Thunder Road is quite the journey.

I listened to the early Heart albums a year or two ago, and that was my first exposure to Love Alive. It shouldn't have been. This would have been all over FM radio if the powers-that-be in the '70s took them more seriously. It takes some elements from Zep's Over the Hills and Far Away and adds a fantastic melody on top of it.

Bobcaygeon was one of my new-to-me favorites from the worldwide countdown and I was really hoping it would show up here.

Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters is one of Elton's best vocals.

Final tally of how Higgins' Rush list compares with Ghost Rider's Rush top 50 countdown thus far:

Double Agent -- Higgins #31, Ghost Rider #29
Open Secrets -- Higgins #30, Ghost Rider not ranked
Ghost of a Chance -- Higgins #29, Ghost Rider #37
Witch Hunt -- Higgins #28, Ghost Rider #28 (BINGO!)
The Pass -- Higgins #27, Ghost Rider #21
The Spirit of Radio -- Higgins #26, Ghost Rider #8
Closer to the Heart -- Higgins #25, Ghost Rider #23
Lakeside Park -- Higgins #24, Ghost Rider not ranked
Finding My Way -- Higgins #23, Ghost Rider not ranked
Between the Wheels -- Higgins #22, Ghost Rider #27
The Weapon -- Higgins #21, Ghost Rider #33
Middletown Dreams -- Higgins #20, Ghost Rider #31
Losing It -- Higgins #19, Ghost Rider not ranked
Working Man -- Higgins #18, Ghost Rider not ranked (very controversially)
Red Sector A -- Higgins #17, Ghost Rider #18
Tom Sawyer -- Higgins #16, Ghost Rider #7
The Camera Eye -- Higgins #15, Ghost Rider #35
Cold Fire -- Higgins #14, Ghost Rider #25
Territories -- Higgins #13, Ghost Rider #14
Analog Kid -- Higgins #12, Ghost Rider #42
Limelight -- Higgins #11, Ghost Rider #20
The Trees -- Higgins #10, Ghost Rider #11
Anthem -- Higgins #9, Ghost Rider #39
New World Man -- Higgins #8, Ghost Rider not ranked :oldunsure:
Xanadu -- Higgins #7, Ghost Rider #3
Jacob's Ladder -- Higgins #6, Ghost Rider #5
La Villa Strangiato -- Higgins #5, Ghost Rider #2
Subdivisions -- Higgins #4, Ghost Rider #13
Freewill -- Higgins #3, Ghost Rider #12
YYZ -- Higgins #2, Higgins #15
2112 -- Higgins #1, Ghost Rider #1 (BINGO as it should be)

Higgins and Ghost Rider had 4 top 10 songs in common. Ghost Rider had two of Higgins' top 10 ranked lower than 31 (New World Man and Anthem). Higgins did not rank four of Ghost Rider's top 10 (#4 Red Barchetta, #6 Marathon, #9 Leave That Thing Alone and #10 Mission).

#1 - The Stranglers - No More Heroes

Year - 1977
Album - No More Heroes
UK Chart position - #8
Vocals - Hugh Cornell
Key Lyric - Whatever happened to Leon Trotsky?
He got an ice pick That made his ears burn
Whatever happened to Dear old Lenny, The great Elmyra And Sancho Panza?
Whatever happened to the heroes?

Interesting Points
1- Although this was the second single off the No More Heroes, it was the first one written after their first album. While,touring America with Rattus, Elvis Presley and Groucho Marx died, prompting the song title. The development was stark and showed a depth to the band a lot of their punk contempories did not have

2- The Stranglers won an out of court settlement with Elastica after their song Waking Up heavily borrowed from No More Heroes

3- The second arc of the first verse lyric is often cited online as Dear Old Lenin, Its Dear Old Lenny, referencing Lenny Bruce. It would be incredibly lazy writing to have Lenin straight after Trotsky. Hugh Cornwall is an educated and literate man. And sexist.

4- The song mourns the loss of strong figures in culture and mentions people that Hugh Cornwell had great admiration for. Sancho Panza and the Great Elmyra refer to the Don Quixote character and the Art forger Elmyr de Hory.

5- Cornwell: "When No More Heroes came out, we refused to sign autographs because we were saying, "Don't have heroes. Be your own hero." The people in No More Heroes are anti-heroes really.”

Summary to date

Year

1977 - 14
1978 - 5
1979 - 2
1980 - 0
1981 - 2
1982 - 2
1983 - 0
1984 - 3
1985 - 0
1986 - 1
1987 - 0
1988 - 2
1989 - 1
1990 onwards - 2

Where to find
Rattus Norvegicus - 9/9
No More Heroes -4/11
Black and White - 2/12
The Raven - 2/11
The Gospel According to the Meninblack - 1/10
La Folie - 2/11
Feline - 0/9
Aural Sculpture - 3/11
Dreamtime - 1/10
All Live and All of the Night - 2/13
10 - 1/10
1991 onwards - 0
B Sides - 1
Greatest Hits - 3
Standalone Single - 3

Running Vocal Count
Hugh Cornwell - 20
Jean-Jacques Burnel - 10
Other - 1 (Instrumental)

Rundown
#31 - Walk on By
#30 - Ugly
#29 - All Day and All of the Night
#28 - Meninblack
#27 - Goodbye Toulouse
#26 - Princess of the Streets
#25 - Sweden (All Quiet on the Eastern Front)
#24 - Duchess
#23 - Sometimes
#22 - La Folie
#21 - North Winds
#20 - No Mercy
#19 - 5 Minutes
#18 - Strange Little Girl
#17 - Shut Up
#16 - Bitching
#15 - Bring on the Nubiles
#14 - 96 Tears
#13 - Down in the Sewer
#12 - Hanging Around
#11 - Straighten Out
#10 - Nice ‘N’ Sleazy
#9 - London Lady
#8 - Always the Sun
#7 - Something Better Change
#6 - Skin Deep
#5 - (Get a) Grip (On Yourself)
#4 - Peaches
#3 - Waltzinblack
#2 - Golden Brown
#1 - No More Heroes

Top 10 Out - The Stranglers
Next 10

32 - European Female - UK#9 off Feline. Lead Vocals JJB

Similar to La Folie and Strange Little Girl, it missed out as i prefer the balls of releasing a 7 minute song in french as the follow up to their biggest hit

33- Toiler on the Sea - Non Single off Black and White. Lead vocals Hugh Cornwell

The first 2 minutes of this are a gorgeous instrumental piece with soaring synths included. The last 3 minutes are a bit of a dirge. I wanted to include it for the first two minutes but it gave way to the song Sweden with its fantastic refrain describing clouds

34- Was It You? - Non Single off Dreamtime. Lead Vocals JJB

Another totally different sound from their latter career. Prominent brass sounds feature. Just couldnt find a space for it

35- Midnight Summer Dream - UK #35 off Feline. Lead Vocals Hugh Cornwall

Another fascinating song in their repetoire. Spoken verse, with a nice story. Nicely restrained music. Wish i could have found a space for it

36 - Nice in Nice - UK #30 off Dreamtime. Lead Vocals JJB

A clever play with the name of the french town, this was inexplicably chosen as the lead single with Always the Sun chosen to follow it. Its a “Nice” song but not in the same world.

#37 - Big in America - UK#48 off Dreamtime. Lead Vocals Hugh Cornwell.

Proving Dreamtime to be a quality top heavy album with 3 songs in the #32-41 area. This followed up Always the Sun and was part frustration at their inability to break America.

#38 - Burning Up Time - Non Single off No More Heroes. Lead vocals JJB

Similar to tracks like Sometimes and Bitching, its just not as good so missed out.

#39 - Don’t Bring Harry - UK #41 off the Raven. Lead Vocals JJB

Quite fascinating that on songs 31-41, JJB sings 6 of the 10. This creepy and beautiful song should have found a space, but not to be

#40 - Dead Ringer - Non Single off No More Heroes. Lead Vocals Dave Greenfield

Our highest ranked vocal from keyboardist Dave Greenfield. He sung about 6 or 7 Stranglers tracks. All weird and interesting

#41 - Death and Night and Blood (Yukio) - Non Single off Black and White. Lead Vocals JJB

This was included on the initial cut of this, but overtaken by better tracks. Love the title.

Bridge Over Troubled Water (previously referred to as THAT song) is one of the most emotional pieces you'll ever hear. It's impossible not to get chills when it comes on.
Agreed. When I was researching S&G, #2-31 were not easy to place, but this one was #1 with a bullet from the get go. Often cited - and for good reason - as one of the best songs ever composed (across any genre). Art's defining moment in a career of high points with Paul. And the elegant musicianship by several of The Wrecking Crew just takes the song to another stratosphere.

Many thanks to @Zegras11 and @KarmaPolice for running this long show - was a lot of fun and I'm going to enjoy going back and listening to a lot of new music to me. Looking forward to part 2.

Last edited:
#1's with a bullet:

Open My 👀 - Nazz
Taj Mahal - Jorge Ben Jor
Watcher Of The Skies - Genesis
You Really Got Me - The Kinks
2112 - Rush
Untitled #8 - Sigur Ros
25 or 6 to 4 - Chicago
No More Heroes - The Stranglers
Living For The City - Stevie Wonder
Run Runaway - Slade
The Divided Sky - Phish
What'd I Say - Ray Charles
Thunder Road - Springsteen
Mona Lisas And Mad Hatters - Elton John

Oh, okay. Not completely alone, then. [Aside: I’m being purposely low-key here, but my full appreciation to Manster who’s probably wondering why a post from nearly 9 months ago is being quoted] Then all I can say is listen, and see what you think. Hopefully you’ll get some of that same feeling that I (and others) do.

You're not on an island at all here. I happen to think this EP outdoes all of their albums. It's exceedingly great, and this song in particular. A surprise #1 pick to me, but only because it's a more obscure entity. Probably my favorite choice outside some of the more expected ones from others.

As I have mentioned several times, I ranked and did mini writeups for my 32-100 Chicago songs. When doing this exercise, I listened to their first 15 albums (cutting off before the "crappy and sappy" era, as KP calls it) and a later one that has a cult following. I slotted in each song as I heard it, so I have everything from those albums ranked. In these next few posts I'll put up the mini writeups.

32-40. @krista4 #34 is their most Beatlesque song.

32. Mongonucleosis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RGZJes9GeE
Album: Chicago VII (1974)
Writer: James Pankow
Lead vocals: Mostly instrumental (incidental vocals by Peter Cetera, Robert Lamm and James Pankow at beginning)
Released as a single? No
This Latin-flavored instrumental showed off percussionist Laudir de Olivera, who played on most of Chicago VII and would become a full member of the band for Chicago VIII, and was featured prominently in live sets in the mid and late '70s, including after Auld Lang Syne on New Year's Rockin' Eve https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t9oK3BCqpk
Leonid and Friends version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwxeiiHu6ws&list=PL_lu88CYCO49t9aYp4N_40615W5h6TtLK&index=43

33. Something in This City Changes People
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_447n9Omc34
Album: Chicago VI (1973)
Writer: Robert Lamm
Lead vocals: Robert Lamm, Terry Kath, Peter Cetera and Lee Loughnane
Released as a single? No
Lovely piano ballad about the pressures of fame, with the three principal singers harmonizing on the verses, and Lee Loughnane gets a few lines to himself in the chorus, in his lead vocal debut.
Live version from 1973: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6iKwuVpvUA

34. Wake Up Sunshine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7Qz2xPyJbc
Album: Chicago (aka Chicago II) (1970)
Lead vocals: Robert Lamm and Peter Cetera
Released as a single? No
Breezy pop song that recalls Paul McCartney's contributions to Revolver. It wasn't a surprise when Chicago started covering Got to Get You into My Life https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbiS9Zt6Xv8; they'd already had practice with this.
Live version from 1977: https://youtu.be/MgZPUvKqyNg?t=388

35. Mother
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VveGGj_SBro
Album: Chicago III (1971)
Lead vocals: Robert Lamm
Released as a single? No
Robert Lamm fashioned an environmental anthem for the third record. It's less memorable for that than the interesting time signatures and horn interludes, and it contributes very much to the "sit back and get baked" vibe of the album.
Tanglewood version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzh_CaonB2Q

36. You Are on My Mind
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AivHljPn-R4
Album: Chicago X (1976)
Lead vocals: James Pankow
Released as a single? Yes (US #49)
This blissful samba that crams a lot of horn interplay into 3 minutes became James Pankow's first lead vocal by accident. The three principal vocalists all tried it and Pankow wasn't satisfied with any of their takes, so Jim Guercio asked him to try it himself. Apparently Pankow's Robert Lamm-lite voice was what was needed.
Live version from 1977: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf1iQFA_IUI
Leonid and Friends version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qa8pta6AGM&list=PL_lu88CYCO49t9aYp4N_40615W5h6TtLK&index=32

37. Hollywood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmvUvYGzlgk
Released as a single? No
One of many Lamm songs from around this time about fame and how it changes people, this stands out due to one of his best vocals and the exciting coda that makes great use of harmony vocals and percussion.
Live version from 1973: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg7HHjrIKVw

38. Policeman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcm8FfaR52U
Album: Chicago XI (1977)
Released as a single? No
This song has always fascinated me because it's the closest Chicago has come to sounding like Steely Dan.
Live version from 1977: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcPavNGLfWg
Live version of original, faster arrangement from 1976: https://youtu.be/DeSdj5xwyHQ?t=3873

39. State of the Union
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em9zYDCyOeE
Album: Chicago V (1972)
Lead vocals: Peter Cetera
Released as a single? No
One of Robert Lamm's early '70s political songs, this is a favorite not for that (though the "Then a voice called out from the darkness/Saying to tear the system down" part is pretty cool) but for the driving guitar/organ riff at the beginning, the trumpet solo in the middle and the breakdown at the end.
Live in Japan version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXQ7Ux8inTk

40. Scrapbook
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyIHv0_lAEY
Released as a single? No
A soulful slab that could have been recorded by Sam and Dave if it had been written 10 years earlier.
Live version from Bill Cosby's TV show in 1976: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=935yuZaGOZQ (excellent Terry Kath solo starting at 2:35)

Last edited:
I do not understand what the time signature(s) is/are on the Stranglers' "Golden Brown," and I LOVE THAT
Not sure either but it's close enough for a mashup with this tune:

41-50. #43 and #44 are songs you might have expected to make the top 31.

41. Takin' It on Uptown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVht_fkdCzA
Writer: Terry Kath
Lead vocals: Terry Kath
Released as a single? No
The final song Terry Kath wrote for Chicago, this is a heavy blues-rock number without horns that indicates he was going in a very different direction from the rest of the band in the year or two leading up to his death. It may have even been plucked from sessions for a horn-free solo album that he was working on in the final year of his life (which was not completed and has never surfaced). It started appearing in Chicago's live sets at least a year before the release of XI.
Live version from 1977: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-LoRtUB510

42. Take Me Back to Chicago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajxNLr5gz4Y
Writers: Danny Seraphine and Hawk Wolinski
Released as a single? Yes (US #63)
Chicago XI was the first album to contain songs from a new writing partnership, drummer Danny Seraphine and keyboardist David "Hawk" Wolinski, a member of Rufus. This song was written about Freddy Page, drummer of Illinois Speed Press, a contemporary of Chicago's in their early years, who died young, but when it was released as a single in May of 1978, fans probably assumed it was about Terry Kath. The song shifts from slick balladry to an impassioned rave-up, with soulful testifying from Kath and Chaka Khan, then the frontwoman of Rufus, in its coda.
Live version from 1977 (Cetera sings Chaka's part): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpCR6p0vNcQ

43. Questions 67 and 68
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TKaFqhmmg4
Album: Chicago Transit Authority (1969)
Lead vocals: Peter Cetera with Robert Lamm
Released as a single? Yes (1969, #71; 1971, #24)
Robert Lamm did the majority of the lead vocals on the band's debut album, but the initial song pushed to radio from it was a Peter Cetera vocal, establishing a pattern early. A stately, grandiose ballad that wraps philosophical musings around memories of an old girlfriend of Lamm's, the song was a minor hit upon initial release, but hit the top 40 when re-released after the band broke big commercially.
Live version from 1969: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whMZ0Th9-4M
Leonid and Friends version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKzOjRKqY0Q&list=PL_lu88CYCO49t9aYp4N_40615W5h6TtLK&index=20

44. Baby, What a Big Surprise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa2DSACXnio
Writer: Peter Cetera
Released as a single? Yes (US #4)
After the massive success of If You Leave Me Now, demand was strong for something else like that, so Chicago XI provided this, which is cut from similar cloth but IMO is more interesting, mainly because of some musical passages that could have passed for something the Beatles would have worked on with George Martin. This was Peter Cetera's only writing contribution to Chicago XI, which was not a huge surprise, but it was also his only lead vocal on the album, which was.
Apparently this was only performed live in 1977 and 2001. Live version from 1977 (which may be evidence as to why it doesn't appear in concert much): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUID_XWE1j8

45. Together Again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdyhNEaLIXs
Writer: Lee Loughnane
Lead vocals: Lee Loughnane
Released as a single? No
Lee Loughnane had written songs prior to this one, and sang lead prior to this one, but had not done both on the same song until this one. It's a little reminiscent of Call on Me, his Peter Cetera-sung hit from 1974, but has a harder, more driving rhythm and a dynamic arrangement that probably would have been too challenging for AM radio in 1976.
Live version from 1976: https://youtu.be/DeSdj5xwyHQ?t=4189

46. All Is Well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPVWCq8EWxY
Released as a single? No
"Free and eeeeeeasy," Lamm's voice soars at one point, and that's the vibe this track maintains the whole time.
Live version from 1972: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RkrYAqEpGY

47. It Better End Soon: 1st Movement / 2nd Movement / 3rd Movement / 4th Movement
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQKNMRh1xN0
Writers: Robert Lamm (all movements), Walter Parazaider (2nd movement) and Terry Kath (3rd movement)
Released as a single? No
Robert Lamm's most obvious and unrestrained political song, this suite is a call to end the Vietnam War interspersed with lengthy flute and guitar solos. You have to be in the right mood for it, but if you are, it's quite an experience.
Tanglewood version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU6nD6_DI_c

48. A Hit by Varese
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aoKb_v1XSc
Released as a single? No
Because of Saturday in the Park and being the band's first (!) single LP, some people draw a bright line at when Chicago shifted from an experimental/political/revolutionary band to a more conventional pop band at Chicago V, but this track shows it's not that simple. This is challenging jazz-rock with unusual time signatures and interesting instrumental interplay throughout.
Live in Japan version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzrdopaUERI

49. Once or Twice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTJdiwYnKE4
Released as a single? No
A hard-charging rave-up that rocks as hard as anything the band ever did -- and is another piece of evidence that Terry Kath's interests were out of step with the rest of the band in his final years.
Live version from 1977: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klJsOi5iioM

50. Mama Mama
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZzpnsNVfNY
Released as a single? No
A ballad with light disco touches, it's a little surprising this wasn't released as a single. The funky sounds that punctuate the record make it a standout for me, but perhaps they were a little too unconventional for mainstream tastes at the time. Not to be confused with Mama Take and Aloha Mama, both from Chicago 13.
No live performances have been documented.

51-60. This batch includes two songs I remember as a kid (#52 and #56) and what may be their yachtiest song in a good way (#59).

51. Byblos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc2t1Ub6dFE
Released as a single? No
This track shows that Kath was just as much of a virtuoso on acoustic guitar as he was on electric. The song lurches everywhere musically and lyrically and takes you on a fascinating journey. A faster alternate version was included on a reissue of Chicago VII: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7ljKJVdvik
Live version from 1974: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v60W5ZR0FH4

52. Alive Again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9SQ3vWPfJU
Album: Hot Streets (1978)
Released as a single? Yes (US #14)
As the first track on and first single from Hot Streets, this was the first song people heard from the band after they made the decision to continue after Terry Kath's death. Picking this song title for that honor was probably no accident. Nor was infusing the song with the brassiness and peppiness of some of its biggest hits from the early and mid 70s. It worked, as the tune became a hit and still appears in the band's live rotation sometimes, often as a show opener. A performance on **** Clark's talk show from 1978, featuring replacement guitarist Donnie Dacus with a wild perm, can be found on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FnrevX6C7g&t=7s
Leonid and Friends version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QrGvXRKQoo&list=PL_lu88CYCO49t9aYp4N_40615W5h6TtLK&index=45

53. Prologue/Someday (August 28, 1968)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQbxs9FZqRk
Writers: James William Guercio (Prologue) / Robert Lamm and James Pankow (Someday)
Lead vocals: none (Prologue) / Robert Lamm with Peter Cetera (Someday)
Released as a single? No
One of Robert Lamm's many early political songs, Someday really drives home the point by having a prologue consisting of chants from protestors at the 1968 Democratic Convention, which are repeated in the middle of the song itself, which otherwise has a driving beat and memorable melody that show it deserves to belong with the warhorses from the debut album.
At Carnegie Hall version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xb8qJaWwLY

54. Flight 602
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIi3K5Xnmvs
Released as a single? No
The opening segment of the Travel Suite is a mellow, country-ish slice of period hippiedom featuring pleasant acoustic guitars and harmonies.
At Carnegie Hall version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voQ735sIEW0

55. Manipulation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBEFq0iL4dQ
Album: Chicago XIV (1980)
Released as a single? No
Mildly tapping into disco didn't work on Chicago 13, so for the next album, the band went to the other big musical trend of the era and mildly tapped into New Wave. The jazzy aspects of the band were downplayed in favor of more straightforward arrangements. This led to some songs that rocked harder than they had since Terry Kath's death, including this one, which has an infectious propulsiveness and a fine guitar solo from one of the session players who stepped in after Donnie Dacus was fired. (It also led to some terrible ballads that won't be on this list.)
Played live only a handful of times, none of which are on Youtube.

56. Thunder and Lightning
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMVXTXm_kCE
Writers: Robert Lamm and Danny Seraphine and maybe Peter Cetera
Lead vocals: Peter Cetera and Robert Lamm
Released as a single? Yes (US #56)
I remember this song from the car radio as a kid, but it must have caught on more in Philly than in most other cities, because it failed to crack the top 40. It's got a memorable melody and a driving rhythm, so I choose to believe that the other cities were wrong. The original album credited the song to Lamm and Seraphine, but the reissue added a writing credit for Cetera.
Lip synched performance from unknown TV show in 1980: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7tyV2Gm7qU

57. Goodbye
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzgeilAVmPg
Released as a single? No
With that title, you'd think this would be the last song on the album, but there's one after it. It's one of the jazzier numbers in their repertoire and has a compelling vocal by Cetera.
Live version from 1971: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCv5R6yvr90

58. Where Do We Go from Here?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwVcgUSFQls
Released as a single? No
Peter Cetera wrote this while recuperating from a broken jaw (inflicted by military men at a Dodgers game who did not like that he was a hippie and a Cubs fan) in the summer of 1969. During that time, he watched the moon landing, and Walter Cronkite's question during the broadcast inspired him to write this song. The bouncy tune with a standout bass part became his first composition recorded by the band. Lamm, Kath and Pankow did not want that to become a regular thing, but eventually it did.
At Carnegie Hall version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp9wkEmCp3A

59. Hot Streets
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i4LqgElgy4
Released as a single? No
A rare title track from the band (who decided to change things up on the first record after Terry Kath's death), this is a breezy, somewhat yachty tune with a nice flute solo from Walter Parazaider. The last 1.5 minutes is some fusion-y guitar noodling from Donnie Dacus if you're into that sort of thing.
Live version from 1978: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLjAkPpieN0
Leonid and Friends version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsQJ01ScNh8&list=PL_lu88CYCO49t9aYp4N_40615W5h6TtLK&index=40

60. I'd Rather Be Rich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDzqsQZ75VA
Released as a single? No
Another successful rocker from the sort-of-New-Wave-inspired 14th album. It may be a swipe at former manager/producer Jim Guercio, as it was written during the sessions for Chicago X, when the band was growing frustrated with their management deal and were about to force him out. That version surfaced as a bonus track on a Chicago X reissue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5_N7R1U9eA

61-70. Their first #1 single finally appears at #66.

61. Ain't It Time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TBWi7ZUvWI
Writers: Donnie Dacus, Danny Seraphine and Warner Schwebke
Lead vocals: Donnie Dacus with Peter Cetera
Released as a single? No
Tight rocker with nice riffage from Hot Streets, in keeping with late-70s production trends but not overwhelmed by them. Donnie Dacus' only writing credit on his first album with them. Not to be confused with Ain't It Blue? from Chicago VIII.
Live version from 1979: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPRhs3DY52Q

62. Your Love's an Attitude
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJFPYB5o8uk
Album: Chicago X (1976) (bonus track)
Released as a single? No
This graceful acoustic piece from Terry Kath was recorded during the sessions for Chicago X but left off until it surfaced as a bonus track on a reissue.
No documented live performances.

63. Doin' Business
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-fdPkSqYSY
Album: Chicago XIV (1980) (bonus track)
Released as a single? No
Another rocker from the XIV sessions, this one is the closest to the New Wave that they were sort of inspired by when making this album. Perhaps for that reason it didn't make the cut initially, but surfaced in 1991 on the Group Portrait box set and later as a bonus track on a reissue of XIV.

64. Mah-Jong
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcEhf9Ov9J8
Album: Chicago XXXII: Stone of Sisyphus (2008)
Writers: Jason Scheff, Brock Walsh and Aaron Zigman
Lead vocals: Bill Champlin
Released as a single? No
The best song on Stone of Sisyphus, this has a pretty infectious beat, some nice wah-wah guitar and interesting rhythms throughout. If the rest of the album (recorded in 1993 but not released until 2008) sounded like this, it might deserve its "lost classic" status. When the album finally came out, a demo version of this track was also included: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMtfLcUBRK0.
Jason Scheff, Peter Cetera's replacement, wrote much of the song but did not sing Chicago's version; he released a version on a 1997 solo album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAauqnWGLOo.
No documented live performances.

65. You Get It Up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPwdsA2b3Ss
Lead vocals: Peter Cetera, Terry Kath, Robert Lamm, Lee Loughnane, Laudir de Oliveira, James Pankow, Walter Parazaider and Danny Seraphine
Released as a single? No
This funky, mostly instrumental track is notable for crediting the entire band as lead vocalists (the only occurrence of that for Laudir de Oliveira, Walter Parazaider and Danny Seraphine), as they chant the limited lyrics in unison.

66. If You Leave Me Now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuBRgCcL8Js
Released as a single? Yes (US #1)
This was the first of the band's three #1 singles -- despite the band having sat on it for two years before recording it, and then only as a last-minute effort at the Chicago X sessions -- and set the template for the next 10 years of their career, where they would be most identified with ballads sung by Peter Cetera. It may be the song of theirs that casual listeners are most familiar with, as it was ubiquitous in the late '70s. I find it pleasant but don't care for the string arrangement, which oddly won a Grammy (the song also won for Best Pop Vocal Performance by a Duo, Group or Chorus). Cetera played acoustic guitar and Kath played bass, as they had done on Wishing You Were Here, which was written at the same time.
How much of a last-minute effort was this song? Walter Parazaider forgot it existed until it was played on the radio. In the Group Portrait liner notes, he said:
"The rhythm section was really struggling over some song. Lee, Jimmy [Pankow], and myself were done with our part of the recording. The foreman was taking us down to Denver to get us out of town. I remember Guercio and Peter talking, 'cause it was Peter's song, saying, 'If this doesn't work within the next couple of takes, we're gonna shine this. We've got enough tunes for the album.' I'm sitting around my pool three months later, and the local station goes, 'We've got the debut single by Chicago coming up.' A song comes on. I'm cleaning my pool, and I'm going, 'That's a catchy tune. Sorta sounds like McCartney. Where have I heard this before?' The next thing, they go. 'That's Chicago's latest release, "If You Leave Me Now.'" The main point of the story, outside of me being a dummy*, is that usually, things that just made the album end up being some of the biggest hits."
Live version from 1977: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxeuQKflPpQ
Leonid and Friends version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ_j4Ytecgg&list=PL_lu88CYCO49t9aYp4N_40615W5h6TtLK&index=2

* - One of us! One of us!

67. While The City Sleeps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCrgrGsBlr0
Released as a single? No
The first half definitely has a "'70s TV show" vibe about it, with the cadence of the vocals and the way the horns interject. I think it's groovy. The second half, with a great guitar workout from Terry Kath, is really where it's at, though.
Live version from 1972: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uogkemklIpU

68. Soldier of Fortune
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_DcV_vQKLs
Album: Chicago XIV (1980) (bonus track)
Released as a single? No
This outtake from Chicago XIV ended up appended as a bonus track on a reissue. It's got a forthright melody and a propulsive rhythm, and could pass for one of the better songs on Billy Joel's Glass Houses. It also boasts some fine acoustic/electric guitar interplay by the session guitarists they were employing at the time.

69. Till the End of Time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxFjL5BwBGs
Lead vocals: James Pankow
Released as a single? No
One album after James Pankow made his lead vocal debut, he provided another. I've not seen anything regarding whether he auditioned the regular singers and didn't like what he heard or always intended to sing this one. This has a nice slinky melody and bears a slight resemblance to the '50s revival sound that was popular at the time.

70. Aire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YsbNa97tow
Writers: Danny Seraphine, Walter Parazaider and James Pankow
Lead vocals: Instrumental
Released as a single? No
Side 1 of Chicago VII is jazz fusion -- not exactly what their fans were expecting. The whole album was supposed to be like that until Jim Guercio and Peter Cetera vetoed it. This is the most successful of those tracks, with a memorable theme driven by the horns and Terry Kath showing off his jazz-guitar chops at 2:25.
Live version from 1973 (earlier and shorter than the studio version): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xrm7l8LXRys

71-80. Two of their longest non-suite tracks are in this bloc.

71. Liberation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EPGCZ-eBSs
Lead vocals: Mostly instrumental (brief vocal by Terry Kath at the end)
Released as a single? No
James Pankow's first songwriting contribution to the band was a 14-minute instrumental that took up most of side 4 of their debut album. It was recorded entirely live and gets a little unfocused at times, but has some pretty thrilling highs, especially from Terry Kath. I'm sure the hippies grooved hard to it. They certainly would have if Chicago had played Woodstock as originally planned. (Would this have taken Soul Sacrifice's place in history?)
If you can't hang for 14 minutes, listen from 11:30 to the end.
Live version from 1969: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrnuvWv5PiE

72. Long Time No See
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7McIoqwT3l8
Album: Chicago VIII (1975)
Released as a single? No
Sounds like Joe Walsh. You could do a lot worse in 1975.
Live version from 1975: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs3K-wex0No

73. Skinny Boy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ishCjQZw_vE
Released as a single? No
This funky, guitar-less song is Chicago but not Chicago. It was worked up for Lamm's first solo album, becoming its title track, with Lamm on keys and vocals, Terry Kath on bass, Russ Salomone on drums, Guille Garcia on congas and the Pointer Sisters on backing vocals. Perhaps as a way to tease the solo album, Chicago VII ends with the song as well -- it's the same basic track but with the horns added and the outro extended. Solo album version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQopW2jEunk.

74. At the Sunrise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_X909h1x1k
Lead vocals: Robert Lamm and Peter Cetera
Released as a single? No
This song served as the next-to-last section of the Travel Suite and is notable for being among their most Beatlesque. Parts of it sound like it could fit in the Abbey Road medley, and the gruff part of Peter Cetera's vocal sounds like when Paul McCartney would do the same.

75. Jenny
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyHeNM1F7Gg
Released as a single? No
This Kath tune is mellow but chugs along nicely. As with many of Kath's contributions from 1972 and on, there are no horns.

76. Devil's Sweet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2axhlWfHuE
Writers: Danny Seraphine and Walter Parazaider
Released as a single? No
Another jazz-fusion tune from side 1 of Chicago VII, the 10-minute Devil's Sweet announces itself with a burst of saxophone before setting into a more laid-back groove, which morphs into a drum solo and then an electric piano-driven passage. Around the 5-minute mark, the guitar and synthesizer take over for the kind of note-filled jamming you expect from this genre, then they give way to another drum solo. Their pop-oriented fans had tuned out long before that. At 8:40, another burst of saxophone, and a resettling of the laid-back groove to finish.
Live version from 1972 (earlier and shorter than the studio version): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjsoPCVI5Ko

77. Must Have Been Crazy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6NoaFPfahY
Album: Chicago 13 (1979)
Writer: Donnie Dacus
Lead vocals: Donnie Dacus
Released as a single? Yes (did not chart)
The material for Chicago 13 was pretty dire. Some of it was a tentative foray into disco, but for the lead single, they opted for Donnie Dacus' imitation of The Eagles, which I'd still rather hear over most of the tracks from Hotel California and The Long Run.
Live version from 1979: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCJ8djM5dug

78. Take a Chance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRKF7b8ie_E
Writers: Lee Loughnane and Lawrence "Stash" Wagner
Lead vocals: Donnie Dacus
Released as a single? No
Pleasant slab of yacht rock, which the band embraced on Hot Streets while searching for direction after Terry Kath's death. I hear elements of Billy Joel and Pablo Cruise here. The highlight is Dacus' solo at the end, which recalls his mentor Stephen Stills.

79. Sixth Sense
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gk4eFTXOk4
Album: Chicago VIII (1975) (bonus track)
Released as a single? No
Jazz-fusion instrumental by Kath that surfaced as a bonus track on the reissue of Chicago VIII.
More melodic than most of the jazz stuff on Chicago VII. I could see George Benson playing something like this.

80. The Inner Struggles of a Man / Prelude (Little One) / Little One
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3boGgwb6FeQ
Writers: Dominic Frontiere, Danny Seraphine and Hawk Wolinski
Lead vocals: Instrumental (The Inner Struggles of a Man) / Terry Kath (Prelude and Little One)
Released as a single? Yes (Little One, US #44)
The last three tracks of Terry Kath's final album flow together seamlessly and I counted them as one entry. The suite begins with an orchestral work by composer Dominic Frontiere, then moves into a slow prelude and then to an orchestrated midtempo ballad by Danny Seraphine and Hawk Wolinski. It's very '70s TV-theme sounding, but Kath's vocal is extremely compelling, and poignantly, Little One was the band's current single at the time of Kath's death. The lyrics are ambiguous, but for some, they evoke the young daughter, Michelle, that Kath left behind, and the song is featured prominently in Michelle's documentary The Terry Kath Experience.
Live version of Prelude/Little One from 1977: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O455Ou8Mtf4

81-90. Both their attempt at disco (#85) and their collaboration with Bee Gees on a song that is not disco (#88) appear here.

81. Hope for Love
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8smLYIMoX6Q
Released as a single? No
Another ballad which shows off the emotional range of Kath as a singer.
Live version from 1977: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc3XmkOWxAU

82. Now That You've Gone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxjMxwPaP_c
Released as a single? No
This jazzy tune from Pankow jumps around a lot but resolves beautifully in its final two minutes.
Live version from 1973 with excellent sax solo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp7f6MZeGm0

83. Anyway You Want
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHobgkNjtoQ
Released as a single? No
This bluesy tune, uncharacteristic of Cetera, opens Chicago VIII and bops its way into your head for three and a half minutes. As you might expect, the Terry Kath guitar solo is the highlight.
Live version from 1977: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJBWn1wBvcc

84. Happy Man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHfw0dV5BII
Released as a single? Yes, but not in the US
This gentle, folky ballad with mild bossa nova rhythms would have been a hit had it been released here, but it was a big hit in South America, where it remains one of their signature songs. It was included in their 1974 ABC TV special "Meanwhile Back at the Ranch": https://youtu.be/FVuTDueJqVI?t=1258.
Live version from 1979: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfXbZCgDlsE
Leonid and Friends: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlmdHi6bPDc&list=PL_lu88CYCO49t9aYp4N_40615W5h6TtLK&index=29

85. Street Player
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJMw8cUGjwI
Album: Chicago 13 (1979)
Writers: Danny Seraphine and Hawk Wolinski
Released as a single? Yes (US Pop, did not chart; US R&B, #91)
Break out your gold chains and mirror balls. This was Chicago's foray into disco, just like anyone else with pop-chart aspirations was doing in 1979. The album version sounds like the Bee Gees but is a pretty decent imitation as far as that goes. A disco remix leaned into the rhythms even more. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q98ucBD8bOQ. The song, written by Danny Seraphine and Hawk Wolinski, had been recorded by Wolinski's band Rufus before Seraphine's own band attempted it. James Pankow: "'Street Player' was our two cents' worth for disco. We wanted to get on the radio, but it didn't really do anything. But I thought it was a relatively intelligent approach to disco." "Street player" was a term used in the '60s to describe musicians that made their livings in bars and clubs as opposed to in academics or orchestras. In early interviews, the band would talk about how they were a mix of street players and academics and drew from the best of both worlds.
Oddly, in Robert Lamm and Lee Loughnane's 2021 interview with Dan Rather, Street Player was one of just three songs discussed in-depth, as Rather asked how the band responded to disco. (The other two were 25 or 6 to 4 and Dialogue.)
Live on SNL from 1979 (audio with pictures): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnRBso6wCOg&t=2s. Amazingly this was the band's only SNL appearance, and it came during a commercial nadir for them. Their other song was an old one, I'm a Man (no footage of that is on Youtube).
Leonid and Friends version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiNw4SKqaX4&list=PL_lu88CYCO49t9aYp4N_40615W5h6TtLK&index=9

86. Beyond All Our Sorrows
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0R1Mqz1N0A
Album: Chicago VI (1973) (bonus track)
Released as a single? No
This demo with Terry Kath singing backed by piano was included as a bonus track on the reissue of Chicago VI. His vocal is heartwrenching, and we can only wonder what this would have sounded like if it had been fleshed out by the band.

87. Hold On
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKE_-vW1kdU
Released as a single? No
Not to be confused with Holdin' On from Chicago Twenty 1 or Please Hold On from Chicago 17, this is another rocker from the stripped down, disco-renouncing Chicago XIV. Cetera's attempts to sing in his lower register around this time generally didn't work out, but it wasn't a problem here.

88. Little Miss Lovin'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF1D7mchJEc
Released as a single? No
This track features the Bee Gees on backing vocals, so you'd think it would be a disco track, but it's a rocker. At the same time as Hot Streets was being recorded, the Gibbs were recording their Spirits Having Flown album at the same studio. There was cross-collaboration throughout, as Bee Gees keyboardist Blue Weaver played on a few other Hot Streets tracks, and Chicago's horn section played on some of Spirits Having Flown, including its first single Too Much Heaven.
Little Miss Lovin' is phoned-in lyrically but has a driving beat, a searing guitar solo and a funky coda, which is enough to put it in my top 100.
Live version from 1979: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUECeFpIIbM

89. Ain't It Blue?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq5_RN7NZLo
Lead vocals: Terry Kath and Peter Cetera
Released as a single? No
In approach, this is kind of a sequel to Dialogue Parts I and II, in that it was written by Lamm and features Kath and Cetera trading off vocals. I like how the song propels itself along, and Kath's guitar solos are excellent as usual. Not to be confused with Ain't It Time from Hot Streets.
Chicago XXXIV: Live in '75 version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep0VmP3zIjY
Leonid and Friends version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSXkRYHpI9g&list=PL_lu88CYCO49t9aYp4N_40615W5h6TtLK&index=49

90. Plaid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOHl9Yjhz0Y
Album: Chicago XXXII: Stone of Sisyphus (2008)
Writers: Bill Champlin, Robert Lamm and Greg Mathieson
Released as a single? No
This is my second-favorite Stone of Sisyphus track, mainly due to its creative use of percussion. It sounds like '80s Toto, which is fine when you're in a certain mood.

#1 Bruce Springsteen

So a few years back I'm driving in my car, and a song comes on the radio. And for a brief moment I think, "I've heard this so many times, I should see what else is on."

But that's naturally a fleeting moment.

Things start to pick up. The music. The tempo, the lyrics. Until it crescendos.

It's a town for losers.
I'm pulling out of here to win.

And then the guitar comes in.

And then Clarence.

And this is Thunder Road, and you don't turn this song off, ever.

Honestly, until about 6 months ago I'm not sure I would have put this first. And with most things Bruce, the album version falls short of him doing it live, though this one is stronger than 10th Ave Freezeout on the Born to Run album. Very few popular singers have been so intense in their usage of religious imagery in their work, but it's been a staple of Bruce's career and it is particularly with this song.

You can hide 'neath the covers and study your pain
Make crosses from your lovers
Throw roses in the rain
Waste your summer praying in vain for a savior to rise from these streets
Well I'm no hero that's understood
Only redemption I can offer, girl, is beneath this dirty hood...

Yeah.

91-100. 98, 99 and 100 are my acknowledgement of the "crappy and sappy" era.

91. In Terms of Two
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYoZHKPf-tc
Released as a single? No
Countryish outing from Cetera, following in the footsteps of What Else Can I Say from two studio albums earlier. Nice melody and good use of harmonica and steel guitar.

92. Brand New Love Affair, Part I & II
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L83kotQdhKs
Lead vocals: Terry Kath and Peter Cetera
Released as a single? Yes (US #61)
This jazzy, orchestrated ballad was the third single from Chicago VIII and highlights the vocal talents of Kath (on the slow first half) and Cetera (on the more uptempo second half).
Live version from 1975: https://youtu.be/_NcT0eQXeMI?t=1409
Leonid and Friends version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAr-gesjeqw&list=PL_lu88CYCO49t9aYp4N_40615W5h6TtLK&index=39

93. An Hour in the Shower: A Hard Risin' Morning Without Breakfast / Off the Work / Fallin' Out / Dreamin' Home / Morning Blues Again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66G9MOI4wUc
Released as a single? No
I used to think this mini-suite was silly, especially given its placement among the many heavyweight songs of Chicago III. But it rose a bit in my estimation when relistening for this countdown, thanks mainly to the conviction in Terry Kath's singing and guitar playing. Why he was so committed to such a mundane story, I have no idea. Hippies, amirite?
Live version from 1971 (Carnegie Hall, not included on live album): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbuBfL-TmVA

94. The Road
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl9MUerKLXI
Released as a single? No
Pleasant midtempo song that doesn't stick out among the titans of the second record.
Live version from 1969: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7bgkV_03ks

95. Movin' In
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMJH8uB6u0s
Released as a single? No
The opening track of Chicago II has an intro that makes great use of the horns, but kind of plods along after that, rescued by an impassioned vocal from Terry Kath. Each horn player gets a brief solo in the middle. The lyrics have some of the same self-references that the debut's Introduction and Listen had, but we already knew what they were about at this point.
Live version from 2018 (no earlier versions, if they exist, appear on Youtube): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TPjljTrcvc

96. Happy 'Cause I'm Going Home
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKdJrgXMGXg
Lead (wordless) vocals: Robert Lamm and Peter Cetera
Released as a single? No
The final section of the Travel Suite is 7 minutes of wordless harmonizing and mellow virtuosity. (Lots of flute solos if you like those.) As much as anything else, it contributes to the "lay back and get stoned while listening to this" vibe of Chicago III.
At Carnegie Hall version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDWHM-uMkps

97. Gone Long Gone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNZHcvwhApQ
Released as a single? Yes (did not chart)
This countryish tune with some George Harrison-type guitar stylings and nice harmonies was in perfect keeping with 1978 AM radio songs that weren't disco, but didn't get a foothold anywhere. Is this why they turned to disco the following year?

98. Stay the Night
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LTWwkBNilI
Album: Chicago 17 (1984)
Writers: Peter Cetera and David Foster
Released as a single? Yes (US #16)
I don't hate this.
Live version from 1984: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Rie-Jttyk8
Leonid and Friends version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqPbrA5Kpgo&list=PL_lu88CYCO49t9aYp4N_40615W5h6TtLK&index=34

99. Hard to Say I'm Sorry / Get Away
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EORSLz0_BRU
Album: Chicago 16 (1982)
Writers: Peter Cetera, David Foster and Robert Lamm
I don't hate this, mainly because of the Get Away coda that appears on the album version (sometimes FM radio DJs would include it).
Live version from 1982: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLVKd1lhgOQ
Leonid and Friends version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKhauqqEYpo&list=PL_lu88CYCO49t9aYp4N_40615W5h6TtLK&index=13

100. Look Away
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqjTyB6it6s
Album: Chicago 19 (1989)
Writer: Diane Warren
I don't hate this, especially the acoustic version I saw them play in 1995.
Live version from 1995, very similar to the one I saw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzUT3hH_jJU
Bill Champlin: "It's not the greatest song, but it was what we needed at the time."

I think I may have just now realized a little why I enjoy Big Thief so much. I find Not to be such a dark depressing abyss of a song. Not a single positive statement in the whole thing- not, not, not and then a disintegrating erratic loud primal guitar solo from Lenker. So many of their songs are really quite dark. We've got homelessness, fatal car accidents,stories from childhood when Lenker was nearly killed in an accident, etc. Yet the band can also be quite whimsical and write asong sort of about potatoes. If you ever see them interviewed or in concert, they seem like the nicest people. Lenker is always effusive with praise for her audience, sweet and often almost with a childlike positivity, she loves her family and shouts them out, talks about the importance of loving relationships even with just friends or pets. It's quite contradictory to what the music might indicate. That fits me to a tee. I have always been drawn to dark depressing stories, movies with downer endings and people who are a little messed up. Yet I am personally super nice, polite, open minded and positive in everything I do. Anyway, that all just dawned on me.

Thanks Middle-age Dummies for indulging my Warren Zevon obsession. I hope you enjoyed and found some new songs you like.

At some point in preparing my list of the top 31, Accidentally Like a Martyr disappeared. It should have been somewhere in the mid teens.

It has a nice middle section in 7/4 time.

If you want to explore more, here's the VH1 Inside Out episode after his terminal diagnosis: https://youtu.be/yonW4VreJws

Here's his famous final appearance on Letterman (I can't find the full program, this is an abridged version): https://youtu.be/giTi8KWSZl4

Thanks again to Zegras and KP for organizing, and FBGs for indulging. Here is link to Spotify playlist for Jorge Ben Jor:

It includes the ones from my 31 and last five out selections, to the extent on Spotify (countdown style from 31 down to 1, then extras). I included a few bonus tracks, including both versions of Taj Mahal and an English language song (Brother), for any interested in that.

I had two songs not on Spotify: Charles Jr. (somewhere in the teens on my list) and last five out of Ze Canjica.

I’ve still got some 1’s to listen to, and need to catch up on a few lists from when I was out on vacation last month.

Looking forward to Part Two — I think finally settled on an artist, provided no one else claims that artist.

Last edited:
When they call your name
Will you walk right up
With a smile on your face?
Or will you cower in fear
In your favorite sweater
With an old love letter?
I wish you would
I wish you would
Come pick me up
Take me out
**** me up
Steal my records
Screw all my friends
They're all full of ****
With a smile on your face
And then do it again
I wish you would
When you're walking downtown
Do you wish I was there?
Do you wish it was me?
With the windows clear and the mannequin's eyes
Do they all look like mine?
You know you could
I wish you would
Come pick me up
Take me out
**** me up
Steal my records
Screw all my friends
Behind my back
With a smile on your face
And then do it again
I wish you would
I wish you'd make up my bed
So I could make up my mind
Try it for sleeping instead
Maybe you'll rest sometime
I wish I could
I wish I could
I wish I could

Foo FightersJust Win BabyFriend Of A Friend

Friend Of A Friend is the 7th song I picked off the In Your Honor album, but I actually used the link to the version from the Skin And Bones album. Here is the video of that Skin And Bones performance.

Here is the first version Dave recorded while with Nirvana (but recorded by him, not with Nirvana).

Here is a video about the making of Friend Of A Friend. Per this video, this song is the one song Grohl said he wrote about Kurt Cobain. He originally wrote the song in 1990 while with Nirvana. Grohl has said "It was an observation of Kurt and Krist and I."

About this song:

The song was written by Grohl in 1990 (and recorded in secret the same year), and it was about his first impressions of new Nirvana bandmates Kurt Cobain and Krist Novoselic. He first wrote it in Kurt's Olympia apartment when Grohl stumbled upon an acoustic guitar owned by Cobain (referring to the lyrics "It was his friend's guitar"). The recorded song was released in 1992 in a collection of songs (entitled Pocketwatch) under the pseudonym 'Late!'

On April 30, 1997, the song was recorded for a BBC Evening Session. In 2005, Grohl revisited the song, recording it again for the acoustic disc of the Foo Fighters' In Your Honor. The song was also included on the band's live album Skin and Bones.

Consequence of Sound said this about the song:

“Friend of a Friend” is an actual meditation on that time period: “I’d just moved up to Seattle and joined Nirvana,” Grohl told NME. “I’d moved in with Kurt in this dirty little apartment. That was the first song I’d ever written on an acoustic guitar with vocal. It gives a nod to the past, where the rest of [In Your Honor] is about looking ahead.”

Source material aside, what really fuels this song is the use of repetition, specifically the back-and-forth chord progression and the haunting use of “No one speaks,” which slowly closes all of the doors around you. Kind of spooky, but also kind of relaxing.

I absolutely love this song. Probably because it hits me too close to home with this:

He thinks he drinks too much
'Cause when he tells his two best friends
"I think I drink too much"
No one speaks

I know I drink too much... :banned:Some of you here have witnessed this through some late night posts...

My Ryan Adams playlist for anyone interested in a second listen on some of these songs.
Perfect Pick for number 1! Not only is "Come Pick Me Up" my favorite Ryan Adams song... it may very well be my favorite song in this entire countdown. Great countdown, I really enjoyed your list
Yes, I had it in my Top 31 in the American version of the Dummies lists.

Thanks @Zegras11 and @KarmaPolice for all of the hard work. This was so much fun and I’m looking forward to part 2 (even though narrowing my band down is driving me a bit nuts).
:goodposting:

Ditto with the thanks to @Zegras11 and @KarmaPolice .

Also shoutout to all those who submit incredible write-ups and stories about the songs and their meanings to them personally and in general. You all make this thread an enjoyable experience.

:thanks:

Users who are viewing this thread