What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Middle Aged Dummies!! Artists #1's have been posted!! (1 Viewer)

Last edited:
OK, I think I’ve come up with a shtick for my top choice for round 2. Hopefully nobody else wants them.
Mrs R is already taking The Pointer Sisters.
Good point. I should clarify that it’s my top choice after Pointer Sisters.
The Shaggs?
Hope it's the Hudson Brothers.
I was thinking of doing a Neil Diamond list with the express intent of NOT ranking Sweet Caroline. Ugh.

OK, I think I’ve come up with a shtick for my top choice for round 2. Hopefully nobody else wants them.
The Shaggs?
I was thinking of doing a Neil Diamond list with the express intent of NOT ranking Sweet Caroline. Ugh.
Not sure why that song is so popular. IMO, it is not that good of a song.

The Shaggs?
It’s a sing along. People love a good sing a long
Im not a fan of Mr Diamond, but when Sweet Caroline comes on, i belt it out like the rest of the schlubs

The Shaggs?
First time I remember it making a big return was in Beautiful Girls (really good film FWIW) back in 1996. Not sure if that was the trigger.

The Shaggs?
Oddly, I was thinking the same thing.

I am ready with my first choice for the next countdown. I don't remember seeing any indication that anyone else here likes the artist, so I hope that means I will get my first choice. I have attempted to create a top 31 already... so difficult. I will probably revise at least 20 times before submitting if I get this artist.

Below is the list of most artists, my favorite song, where it was ranked in this thread, and where I had that song in my top 1200 different artists thread. A couple of these I had a different song ranked, or it didn't appear on my list. There are a few missing artists here, I'm not going to name them, but I need to give their entire list a listen again before picking one.

Artist
My favorite
Their rankTop 1200 rank
Todd Rundgren​
I Saw the Light​
Brandi Carlile​
The Story​
The Police​
Synchronicity II​
Modest Mouse​
Float On​
Genesis​
The Knife​
24Abacab appeared at 533
Stevie Ray Vaughan​
Tightrope​
Not ranked​
The Decemberists​
Down by the Water​
Not ranked253
...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead​
Another Morning Stoner​
Not ranked​
The Kinks​
Picture Book​
Not ranked63
Rush​
Subdivisions​
4Working Man was at 169 but favorite changed since then but prior to this this thread
Sigur Rós​
Hljómalind​
Not ranked​
Donald Fagen​
Reelin' in the Years​
Not ranked41
Green Day​
Wake Me Up When September Ends​
Not ranked564
Big Thief​
Shark Smile​
Daft Punk​
Get Lucky​
Taylor Swift​
My Tears Ricochet​
Not ranked​
Elliott Smith​
I Figured You Out​
Not ranked411
Chicago​
Poem 58​
27Beginnings appeared at 341
The Stranglers​
Golden Brown​
Ryan Adams​
Anybody Wanna Take Me Home​
Stevie Wonder​
Boogie On Reggae Woman​
Not rankedSuperstition appeared at 130
Slade​
Run Runaway​
Electgric Light Orchestra (ELO)​
Livin' Thing​
Frank Black​
Calistan​
Dinosaur Jr.​
Start Choppin'​
Warren Zevon​
Werewolves of London​
Alice in Chains​
Got Me Wrong​
Queen​
Under Pressure​
AC/DC​
For Those About To Rock​
The Hold Stead​
How a Resurrection Really Feels​
Not ranked384
Damon Albarn​
Lonesome Street (by Blur)​
Not ranked615
Ray Charles​
What'd I Say Pts. 1 & 2​
Doves​
Catch The Sun​
Spoon​
The Mystery Zone​
Foo Fighters​
Everlong​
Simon & Garfunkel​
The Boxer​
Bruce Springsteen​
Thunder Road​
Bauhaus​
Dark Entries​
Heart​
Love Alive​
The Tragically Hip​
In a World Possessed by the Human Mind​
Elton John​
Tiny Dance​

The Shaggs?

Edit: or Oasis.

Would love for someone to do Oasis. I'd really like to get deeper into their catalog.

The next few were hit or miss artists for me or one I was pretty familiar with. I will be listening to the playlist and/or an album of each artist taken here.

First was @kupcho1 and The Decemberists. Folk used to be bad word for me to hear, on the lines of reggae and country. A large part because of these and adventures, but also my wife gravitating to it warmed me up to it slowly, but it's still something I will keep at arm's length if I think something is veering into that territory. All that just to say that ironically, the stuff I didn't click with was the newer more electronic stuff. But the stuff I liked, I REALLY liked - so I added Castaways and Cutouts + The King is Dead to my album listens. The core of what I liked was from those albums and Midlist Author was great too. Thanks for the playlist!

There were some gaps in my Hold Steady listening that were brought to my attention by @scorchy . I thought I knew and liked most of their stuff, but your playlist had me listening to Heaven is Whenever and The Price is Progress. I liked Heaven is Whenever a bit more. I dug the fuller sound and I was bobbing my head a bit more there. Great playlist you put together though - a lot of my favorite songs of their's were on there. The only add I would make would be You Can Make Him Like You. That quickly turned into a favorite off that album. Thanks for the great music!

Speaking of people that maybe shouldn't be on their album covers, @worrierking . ;) Zevon is one that I learned to like more through these drafts and listened to a couple albums. I've always love the guitar and the sound, but sometimes the lyrics seem a bit much. I seem to be in an 80s mood the last couple years, as I find myself liking more and more synth in my tunes. The newer to me stuff that I liked on the live releases of the playlist got me to spin The Envoy today. I dug it. I think you mined most of the best songs for the playlist, but I did also like the title track opener and The Overdraft. Never To Late for Love has a lovely solo as well. Of course Werewolves is the bees knees, and I really like the songs off his debut as well. Thanks!

Speaking of 80s, then I was in the mood for @Ilov80s ' playlist. Big Thief ended up being hit and miss with me, but way more hits and when they hit I thought they were amazing. It didn't seem to be from one album, so that's why I listened to the playlist again instead of focusing on one album today. You hooked me an most all the rest of the listeners early with Shark Smile, and that still is my favorite. I listened to it 3x before continuing on to the rest of the playlist. Actually, now that I am scanning the rest of my favorites maybe U.F.O.F. stands out for an album to explore after this since I loved all of Open Desert, Cattails, and UFOF. Other favorites were Paul, Red Moon, Blurred View, and Simulation Swarm. Thanks for introducing most of us to something we hadn't heard of.

There were some gaps in my Hold Steady listening that were brought to my attention by @scorchy . I thought I knew and liked most of their stuff, but your playlist had me listening to Heaven is Whenever and The Price is Progress. I liked Heaven is Whenever a bit more. I dug the fuller sound and I was bobbing my head a bit more there. Great playlist you put together though - a lot of my favorite songs of their's were on there. The only add I would make would be You Can Make Him Like You. That quickly turned into a favorite off that album. Thanks for the great music!
Thanks, KP - glad you dug it. I love half of Heaven is Whenever but it was also the first THS album where I found myself skipping songs. I'm not sure where I am with the Price of Progress yet, but the prior one (Open Door Policy) was a grower so we'll see. Definitely a fan of You Can Make Him Like You but if I picked one more song of a BAGIA it would have been Massive Nights - a tune that is always a blast live.

I'm still trying to find the gumption to start another countdown this week - it might be the only non-MAD window for lord knows how long. I've probably mentioned this two dozen times in various threads but my only kid leaves for college in a few weeks so I'm doing whatever I can to keep my mind off the looming empty nest. He's not a music nerd in the slightest, but one thing we've been doing on road trips this summer is paring down a playlist from the year I graduated HS/left for college (1990). Honestly, he thought about 3/4 of the original 200 song mix sucked and I should be doing a top 40 instead of 100, but also admitted that the music in 1990 is still a helluva lot better than 2023.

Anyway, if I do fire it up, folks here should definitely stop by. It's gonna start kind-of slow so the Thumper rule will not be enforced.

There's always other boards and you can't make us read you :wink:
rock is up to 5th place in most messages.. In non-PPR, probably 7th.
That's impressive. Oddly, I can't remember ever reading a post by #2.

And for the record, in case anyone thought I was being mean, I was just clapping back with a re-worked lyric from the same THS song rock was quoting.
Tim is like the Wayne Gretzky/Cal Ripken/Joe DiMaggio of posting volume - records that probably will never be broken.

ETA: Faust (#2) is a legend in the Shark Pool with the number of articles/tweets he gathers and posts for the board. We love him.

And for the record, in case anyone thought I was being mean, I was just clapping back with a re-worked lyric from the same THS song rock was quoting.
#2 was my first use of the ignore function. Mostly just copy and pasted info from another NFL news source. I found it annoying for some reason. Lol

#2 was my first use of the ignore function. Mostly just copy and pasted info from another NFL news source. I found it annoying for some reason. Lol
A few others feel that way, but I don't have the time to scour Twitter or the interwebs, so I greatly appreciate his efforts.

A few others feel that way, but I don't have the time to scour Twitter or the interwebs, so I greatly appreciate his efforts.
I feel the same, but only internet. I haven't been as good lately with periodic twitter scrolls, but that is one thing I try to keep up with for updates. It's the collection of updates he gathers from elsewhere that's a tremendous time saver.

Listened to Big Thief playlist. As stated before they really fit into my musical wheelhouse and really enjoyed revisiting each song. Ironically, the last two songs to make the list (first two songs…assuming in order?) may be my two favorites.

I like that they only have three albums so I can also look forward to new releases while I catch up. I don’t have a lot of female vocalists in my heavy rotation for whatever reason so it’s nice to hear one once in a while.

Last edited:
Speaking of people that maybe shouldn't be on their album covers, @worrierking . ;) Zevon is one that I learned to like more through these drafts and listened to a couple albums. I've always love the guitar and the sound, but sometimes the lyrics seem a bit much. I seem to be in an 80s mood the last couple years, as I find myself liking more and more synth in my tunes. The newer to me stuff that I liked on the live releases of the playlist got me to spin The Envoy today. I dug it. I think you mined most of the best songs for the playlist, but I did also like the title track opener and The Overdraft. Never To Late for Love has a lovely solo as well. Of course Werewolves is the bees knees, and I really like the songs off his debut as well. Thanks!

Thanks KP. I struggle with the synths on both The Envoy and Sentimental Hygiene, two of his solid 80s efforts. The whole 80s production era is a problem for me. There's a great song by Robert Cray called Right Next Door, that I love (I picked it in one of these MAD drafts), but they took a real drummer and made him sound like a drum machine! How could they?

Listened to Big Thief playlist. As stated before they really fit into my musical wheelhouse and really enjoyed revisiting each song. Ironically, the last two songs to make the list (assuming in order?) may be my two favorites.

I like that they only have three albums so I can also look forward to new releases while I catch up. I don’t have a lot of female vocalists in my heavy rotation for whatever reason so it’s nice to hear one once in a while.
They’ve released 5 albums and all of them are good to great.

I put on the Doves playlist this morning. This is something I think I'll be returning to often.
Final verdict: I f##king love this s##t. Why was I not aware of it in the early '00s? I discovered a whole bunch of new music during my Lost Years, where was this?
They were all over the place. Their albums are all pretty great. I saw them live a few times in the aughts. At the most memorable show, My Morning Jacket opened for Doves. The first time I saw MMJ. An unexpected pairing but two bands I love and a great show!

Glad you've discovered them now....

I put on the Doves playlist this morning. This is something I think I'll be returning to often.
Final verdict: I f##king love this s##t. Why was I not aware of it in the early '00s? I discovered a whole bunch of new music during my Lost Years, where was this?
They were all over the place. Their albums are all pretty great. I saw them live a few times in the aughts. At the most memorable show, My Morning Jacket opened for Doves. The first time I saw MMJ. An unexpected pairing but two bands I love and a great show!

Glad you've discovered them now....
MMJ was one of the bands I discovered during that time.

It's not just that I never heard any Doves songs, I had no idea they existed. No mention of them ever came into my orbit. The first I heard of them was when they showed up in the British Isles countdown.

It's not just that I never heard any Doves songs, I had no idea they existed. No mention of them ever came into my orbit. The first I heard of them was when they showed up in the British Isles countdown.
Starting in 1999 and continuing until sometime in the early 2010s, I would show up at the local Barnes & Noble at the beginning of every month and pay an exorbitant price for the latest edition of Q - an absolutely amazing UK music magazine (RIP). If I was lucky, it came with a sampler CD. That's how I first heard Doves and ended up at the local import shop paying $30 for a copy of their debut record. Loved it. Same way I first heard Muse and got to see them at a Philly dive with a dozen other people before they even had an official release in the U.S. Unfortunately, it went the other way kind of frequently too and I wasted too much cash on expensive imports of Shack, Gay Dad, Gene, et al that I listened to once and never bothered with again.

Users who are viewing this thread