What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Middle Aged Dummies!! Artists #1's have been posted!! (2 Viewers)

I think I'm settled in on my second round artist. I'm fairly certain no one else has hinted at choosing this person, but I have a backup just in case.

When it comes to music, I don't really dance to music, don't really tap my feet a lot. I definitely don't sing along. I like raw power and emotion. And when something delivers this and I like it, I fall HARD for it. I've had single songs play exclusively on repeat for weeks because of this. I just put on a pair of headphones and get lost in it taking it all in. It's why I like Sigur Ros so much. They match this experience perfectly.

Anyway, I've only heard maybe 5-6 songs from the artist I'm going with, but a couple of those songs have hit me really hard over the years One of them is associated with one of my favorite tear-jerking moments in flim/tv, and I still tear up anytime I hear the song. I have no idea why I haven't really listened to more of them because what I have heard, I've loved tremendously.

This is going to be a different experience. For Sigur Ros, I'm definitely an expert, so the writeups came easy. For this round, I'm going to be discovering most of this artist's catalog for the first time ,so it will probably be a lot more work.

Have we set a due date for artist selection?

I started the Doves playlist after pip and RW talked about it. Got 9 songs in on my dog walk. Really fantastic stuff. I remember always liking them when drafted in past drafts but don’t remember tunes jumping out on me during this thread - but liked some - maybe it was just playlist placement or what I was doing when listening.

They have such a robust sound. Liked “Snowden” the best so far. Amazing sound on that one.

It's not just that I never heard any Doves songs, I had no idea they existed. No mention of them ever came into my orbit. The first I heard of them was when they showed up in the British Isles countdown.
Starting in 1999 and continuing until sometime in the early 2010s, I would show up at the local Barnes & Noble at the beginning of every month and pay an exorbitant price for the latest edition of Q - an absolutely amazing UK music magazine (RIP). If I was lucky, it came with a sampler CD. That's how I first heard Doves and ended up at the local import shop paying $30 for a copy of their debut record. Loved it. Same way I first heard Muse and got to see them at a Philly dive with a dozen other people before they even had an official release in the U.S. Unfortunately, it went the other way kind of frequently too and I wasted too much cash on expensive imports of Shack, Gay Dad, Gene, et al that I listened to once and never bothered with again.
HMS Fable is a mate of mine's favourite album

I put on the Doves playlist this morning. This is something I think I'll be returning to often.
Final verdict: I f##king love this s##t. Why was I not aware of it in the early '00s? I discovered a whole bunch of new music during my Lost Years, where was this?
They were all over the place. Their albums are all pretty great. I saw them live a few times in the aughts. At the most memorable show, My Morning Jacket opened for Doves. The first time I saw MMJ. An unexpected pairing but two bands I love and a great show!

Glad you've discovered them now....
MMJ was one of the bands I discovered during that time.

It's not just that I never heard any Doves songs, I had no idea they existed. No mention of them ever came into my orbit. The first I heard of them was when they showed up in the British Isles countdown.
I have a similar reaction, but I had heard of them. I THOUGHT I heard a couple songs back in the day and my memory was I didn't find it that interesting, but it turned into one of my favorites of the countdown. I was surprised when I mentioned them to my wife and even she had not heard of them, so I sent her the link of that playlist and Big Thief.

I think I'm settled in on my second round artist. I'm fairly certain no one else has hinted at choosing this person, but I have a backup just in case.

When it comes to music, I don't really dance to music, don't really tap my feet a lot. I definitely don't sing along. I like raw power and emotion. And when something delivers this and I like it, I fall HARD for it. I've had single songs play exclusively on repeat for weeks because of this. I just put on a pair of headphones and get lost in it taking it all in. It's why I like Sigur Ros so much. They match this experience perfectly.

Anyway, I've only heard maybe 5-6 songs from the artist I'm going with, but a couple of those songs have hit me really hard over the years One of them is associated with one of my favorite tear-jerking moments in flim/tv, and I still tear up anytime I hear the song. I have no idea why I haven't really listened to more of them because what I have heard, I've loved tremendously.

This is going to be a different experience. For Sigur Ros, I'm definitely an expert, so the writeups came easy. For this round, I'm going to be discovering most of this artist's catalog for the first time ,so it will probably be a lot more work.

Have we set a due date for artist selection?
No, and stop asking - you are going to get me riled up again! ;)

I had heard more from Dino than you are talking about with your artist here, but I did like coming at it feeling a little like a newb. There were at least 4 albums I hadn't heard a song off. I think you will have fun doing that, and if not I guess lesson learned for part 3. I am going the opposite direction and I underestimated an album or two, but I had definitely heard it all. For me it came to deciding on presentation for a genre I know many don't really like and attempt to make it digestible and hopefully create a fan or two.

I'm unclear on whether @Zegras11 is going to run the next one, too (hope so). Regardless, whoever does it, please post a link here if there is a new thread started to gather the artist requests for the next one.

I'm unclear on whether @Zegras11 is going to run the next one, too (hope so). Regardless, whoever does it, please post a link here if there is a new thread started to gather the artist requests for the next one.
I think @Zegras11 and @KarmaPolice already committed to running volume 2 upthread.
As far as submitting artists, I think we're supposed to PM shuke.

I put on the Doves playlist this morning. This is something I think I'll be returning to often.
Final verdict: I f##king love this s##t. Why was I not aware of it in the early '00s? I discovered a whole bunch of new music during my Lost Years, where was this?
I was already bigly into Catch the Sun and There Goes the Fear from the British Isles countdown. Upon today's listen, these songs really stood out:

Words
The Cedar Room
Kingdom of Rust
Snowden
Caught by the River
Black and White Town, Here It Comes, Eleven Miles Out -- those three were a hell of a sequence together
Rise -- perhaps now my #2 behind Catch the Sun
Winter Hill
Ship of Fools
Where We're Calling From -> N.Y.
Prisoners
Push Me On

I wasted too much cash on expensive imports of Shack, Gay Dad, Gene, et al that I listened to once and never bothered with again.

I'm a big fan of Shack.

Michael Head has kept putting out great music. His 2022 album with with the Red Elastic Band was one of my favorites of the year.

Still need to do a Phish playlist. If people are interested in doing a live versions only I could do that in addition.

I'm interested in this one. The Phish songs in the countdown surpassed my expectations. I could live without the live versions but acknowledge they're a live band.

OK I'll do the songs I posted. If anyone wants a live only version I'll do that too.

Still need to do a Phish playlist. If people are interested in doing a live versions only I could do that in addition.

I'm interested in this one. The Phish songs in the countdown surpassed my expectations. I could live without the live versions but acknowledge they're a live band.

OK I'll do the songs I posted. If anyone wants a live only version I'll do that too.
How many hours does that add to the playlist?

So went to LA Friday afternoon and left Sunday 9am before the storm hit. Trying to wrap up a complex offer on my home. So that's giving you all some time to post and listen to artist play lists.

I'm looking at Wednesday night to post the song lists of any not on the spreadsheet.

Currently listening to the Clutch playlist and loving it...even better than I realized listening to the individual entries along the way. Anyway, Nero's Fiddle was playing when Mrs. Galilei walks in and says "what is that you are listening to? Your taste in music really sucks lately." :lol: I guess she is not a fan.

@Raging weasel
Thanks for listening! Had you heard or heard of Clutch previously?
My wife hates Clutch too 😔

I've been out a few days. I added Brandi Carlile to the spreadsheet.

I'm unsure about round 2. I missed a handful of the playlists and feel guilty about the limited feedback I posted. I don't want to be a mooch. The timing would be a good bridge to holiday music season, though...

I've been out a few days. I added Brandi Carlile to the spreadsheet.

I'm unsure about round 2. I missed a handful of the playlists and feel guilty about the limited feedback I posted. I don't want to be a mooch. The timing would be a good bridge to holiday music season, though...
What is there to mooch, especially if you contribute a playlist? All y'all need to realize high frequency commenting and listening is not mandatory for this.

Don't really have time to do analysis/give thought to new songs today so threw on the Genesis playlist. I've had their albums since high school. Very interesting to hear their material chronologically, given the drastic changes they underwent over their career.

Last edited:
I found myself reaching to start the Doves playlist a 3rd time, but it's time to move on to other music. :lol: Thanks again, @landrys hat , it seems they were a hit for most of the crew here as well. So far that will be one of the primary deep dives after this time through the list. Doesn't look like they have too many albums, so I will probably just rip through them all. The Cedar Room was the first on your list to REALLY grab me, and there were many other songs I liked after that equally as much. After seeing the album covers while listening, I know the song I encountered before was off The Last Broadcast, so I will be interested to see if there is a song or two off that I don't like or not. I think it was Pip who posted most of my highlights. Thanks again for the new obsession.

Modest Mouse was a band I was familiar with, but didn't think I liked much. I even saw them a couple years ago with the wife. I seemed to think the concert was OK, and I think I figured out the reason why - I was probably a tad too late to the game on them. What I mean by that is I ended up liking @The Dreaded Marco's list more than I was expecting, but I also noticed that there were 0 songs from the 2021 album on it. I gave that a spin and I think that's the reason I was a tad meh when I saw them - I didn't click with that one much, and it was 6 of the 20 songs they did at the show. However, another album I hadn't listened to start to finish was Building Nothing Out of Something. That one I really liked, and fit more with the sound of theirs I like and associate with them. 0 songs from that album at the show, so I think maybe mystery officially solved why I wasn't overly excited about the concert and thought it was 1/2 great. On that album listen, I seemed to gravitate to the new-to-me trio of A Life of Arctic Sounds/Sleep Walkin'/Grey Ice Water. Bolded one of my faves on the album. Your #1 was a also a great new-to-me addition. Thanks, Marco.

Don't really have time to do analysis/give thought to new songs today so threw on the Genesis playlist. I've had their albums since high school. Very interesting to hear their material chronologically, given the drastic changes they underwent over their career.
Can't say I'm surprised that we got the entirety of Selling England by the Pound except for the two minor tracks on side 2 (one a short instrumental, one that's basically a postscript to The Cinema Show).

I am a little surprised that 6 of the 8 tracks from A Trick of the Tail were selected, but the two omitted were fan favorites that were staples of their live sets in the second half of '70s and the early '80s (and one was played at my show in 1987).

Can't say I'm surprised that we got the entirety of Selling England by the Pound except for the two minor tracks on side 2 (one a short instrumental, one that's basically a postscript to The Cinema Show).

I am a little surprised that 6 of the 8 tracks from A Trick of the Tail were selected, but the two omitted were fan favorites that were staples of their live sets in the second half of '70s and the early '80s (and one was played at my show in 1987).
Robbery, Assault and Battery was always a bit vanilla and somewhat quirky to me. I like Los Endos as an album closer, but didn’t think it worked as well as a stand-alone song as the others I chose.

What is there to mooch, especially if you contribute a playlist? All y'all need to realize high frequency commenting and listening is not mandatory for this.

You're not factoring in the FOMO angle. If I post a list, I would want to be engaged in the conversation.

Robbery, Assault and Battery was always a bit vanilla and somewhat quirky to me. I like Los Endos as an album closer, but didn’t think it worked as well as a stand-alone song as the others I chose.
Indeed, Los Endos makes the most sense in the context of the album, as it reprises passages from Dance on a Volcano and Squonk. But I think there's enough to hold interest beyond that -- which is why I have it in my top 31. And I have fond memories of it being the set closer at my 1987 show.

I don't have RAAB in my top 31 because it's kind of cheesy (but, like the rest of the record, it has excellent keyboard work).

Users who are viewing this thread